PDA

View Full Version : Probably mobilizing to SA soon for relief - and story

Rummpd
09-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Most likely coming your way to help with some efforts in TX

Would love to meet anyone if time permits.
Thank You Again to the NBA and America for Responding and Caring
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter D. Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Sep 3, 2005, 12:22

Thank You America!

Thank You NBA and Its Players. As a doctor, my concern and empathy goes to all involved in a personal or collective way. I have been involved in other disaster or refugee care situations and they are always terrible events; and this one is of historic proportions in scope - at least on the U.S. soil.

Also, thank you all who have given and continue to give.

Three suggestions as a doctor, public health leader and former government official - some of this repeats an earlier story but more is known now:

A) Please on one thing. There will be time to blame any shortcomings later, as much as humanely possible try to hold off any frustrations if you are directly involved and work through channels to continue to give and help mitigate the situation.

B) Probably for the great majority of you the best way to help is to give generously and I agree with our President and other suggestions to turn to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army as one option.

Local, state, and federal officials and organizations have been actively notifying hospitals and professionals on how they can volnteeer most effectively.

C) Rememer this is a long haul situation, months of economic, physical and mental health help will be needed. America's Southern states will need help for months and we must be willing to want to stay involved.

*In a sense it is like a NBA season – very long, very ardous, but although their will be after-effects for years, time heals.

Some web links again some from a previous story:

Volunteerism:

Salvation Army: www.salvationarmyusa.org

American Red Cross www.redcross.org

Information;

Federal Emergency Management Agency: www.fema.gov

U.S. Department of Homeland Security: www.dhs.gov

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: www.dhhs.gov

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (part of US DHHS) www.cdc.gov

Be proud of American and Americans as well as other countries that have offered assistance.

Be proud of the NBA again and its players.

Be proud it is responding, and people and organizatons care deeply.

Be proud as a fan. Personally, I am also proud to write for this site!

Regards,

Dr. Peter Rumm

Also, the Director, Center for Public Health Readiness and Communication at Drexel School of Public Health

Further information on public health and its many concerted efforts can be seen at the CDC and US DHHS sites above as well at the American Schools of Public Health at www.asph.org or the American Assocation of Public Health at www.apha.org.

"SportsDoc" to the fans, editor, news editor and proud to be in the field public health at this time of need.

Gotta Response? E-mail It Here