PDA

View Full Version : As Spur, Finley is now the face of the enemy

loveforthegame
09-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Dwain Price never gets details right so I wouldn't put much stock into his claim that Fin signed a 1yr deal.

As Spur, Finley is now the face of the enemy

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - Michael Finley held his tongue when the Mavericks waived him Aug. 15.

Friday, after signing a one-year, $2.6 million contract with the world champion San Antonio Spurs, the 6-foot-7 swingman chatted freely about the NBA's "amnesty" clause that ended his eight-years-plus tenure as a cornerstone of the Dallas franchise -- and saved Mavs owner Mark Cuban $51.8 million in luxury tax.

"There were a lot of teams that opted to not use the clause, but the Mavericks decided to do that, and that's a decision that they wanted to do," Finley said. "I guess I wasn't seen as part of the future or near future in the Mavericks' eyes, which is cool.

"I understand that basketball players come and go. And, for me, I'm coming to a situation where I was wanted."

Finley ranks in the top five in several of the Mavs' all-time statistical categories. That's why Finley thought the Mavs could have used the amnesty clause on another player, allowing him to continue his career in Dallas.

"When the amnesty rule came about, Mark had hinted that it may be a chance that I may get waived," Finley said. "And, when he said that, I pretty much knew that I was going to get waived. ... I've been in this league 10 years, and I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly."

The Mavs tout Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels as their future. They play the same positions as Finley -- shooting guard and small forward.

The Mavs' loss has been a bonus for the Spurs, who signed former Mavs guard Nick Van Exel on Monday.

"You don't get a chance to get the Michael Finleys of the world very often, so this is really a neat time for us," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "It's exciting for our team. It's exciting for our franchise and exciting for San Antonio."

It's also exciting for Finley, who already has his calendar circled for the first Spurs-Mavs meeting this season.

"I think it's Nov. 5 [the Mavs' home opener]," he said to laughter. "It should be an interesting game. It's always been a rivalry, even when I was with Dallas, and just the whole Interstate [35] thing. So now I think it's going to be even more of a rivalry for myself, and I guess Nick Van Exel as well."

Finley also considered Miami, Phoenix and Minnesota. He said calls from Spurs forward Tim Duncan and Van Exel helped sway his decision.

The Heat could have offered Finley a first-year salary of $5 million. The Suns could have offered him a starting position and the chance to play with former teammates Steve Nash and Raja Bell. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich figured he had little chance of signing the 32-year-old.

"I was a little bit surprised because I thought that he had some personal relationships in places that would probably lead him to those teams. And he probably was guaranteed more playing time with a couple of those places as a starter," Popovich said. "So I thought, all things being equal, that he would probably choose someplace else."

Popovich said the Spurs tried to sign Finley when he became a free agent after the 2000-01 season. But he opted to remain in Dallas and sign a seven-year, $102.2 million contract. The Mavs must still pay Finley $51.8 million over the next three seasons, minus one-half of what he makes from the Spurs (or any other NBA team) in the span. He can't return to the Mavs until the seven-year deal expires, after the 2007-08 season.

It doesn't faze Finley that he'll go into this season knowing that he won't be in the starting lineup for the first time since 1996-97. He just wants to fit in -- and finally win an NBA championship.

"This team, with or without Michael Finley, is definitely a great team," he said. "... I'm just going to come in and try to help. I'm not going to try and impose my will on the team or the coaching staff. I'm just going to try to come in and give them a positive force off the bench."

That's especially true when the opponents are the Mavericks, who, for Finley, are public enemy No. 1.

"For Mark, he felt that it was a business decision that he had to make," Finley said. "I'm just fortunate that I was waived and I was able to explore free agency and get myself in a great situation like I am here in San Antonio.

"They could have traded me to a team, or I could have stayed there and been unhappy. But he opted to waive me, and I'm the happiest guy on earth."

loveforthegame
09-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Finley eyes title as he joins Spurs

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The day the Mavericks have been dreading is today, when Michael Finley signs a free-agent contract with the world champion San Antonio Spurs.

"I wish him the best off the court," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said. "On the court, I hope they go 0-82."

Before the Mavs used the NBA's new "amnesty" clause to release Finley on Aug. 15, they tried to trade the 10-year swingman to an Eastern Conference team. Now, Finley joins a star-studded archrival that has won the league championship twice in the past three seasons and three times in seven years.

"One of the reasons that he chose San Antonio is they present to him an opportunity to win a championship," said Henry Thomas, Finley's Chicago-based agent. "That's something that is at the very top of his list in terms of goals that he has as an NBA player for the remainder of his career."

The Spurs will hold a news conference at 3 p.m. today in San Antonio to introduce Finley.

Finley spent the past eight-plus seasons with the Mavs and holds several of the team's all-time franchise records. But when Cuban had an opportunity to save $51.8 million in luxury taxes by waiving Finley, he took it.

"I love what we've got going on," Cuban said. "We've got the opportunity to be a good small team, and a good big team. [Losing] Fin was more painful because of the circumstances."

And losing Finley to the Spurs is even more painful for Cuban, who instructed his employees not to comment about Finley's departure.

Before Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash were acquired on June 24, 1998, Finley was the face of the Mavs' franchise. He became a two-time All-Star and helped make the team respectable again.

"Mike had a great run with the Mavericks," Thomas said. "He obviously has great memories of Dallas and great relationships that he made with people there. He's sorry that they couldn't win a championship while he was there. It's time to move on."

Finley joins a Spurs lineup that includes Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. He'll be asked to come off the bench along with Robert Horry, rookie Fabricio Oberto and former Mavs guard Nick Van Exel, who signed with the Spurs on Monday.

Thomas said Finley has no problem playing in a reserve role for the first time since he was traded to the Mavs on Dec. 26, 1996.

"He's looking forward to fitting in and blending in," Thomas said. "He just wants to come in and have a role, and then win some more championships."

Representatives from the Spurs, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns and Minnesota Timberwolves visited Finley at his home near Chicago last week in an effort to recruit him.

Many believed he would sign with the Heat, because Miami could offer him the most money -- a first-year salary of $5 million -- plus the opportunity to play with Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade.

Finley, however, chose the Spurs and a first-year salary of about $2.6 million.

"It was a hard decision because all of the organizations that he dealt with were top organizations," Thomas said. "They all have chances to be real good teams and championship-caliber teams."

Walton Buys Off Me
09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Looks like it was a one year deal after all.

exstatic
09-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Finley, however, chose the Spurs and a first-year salary of about $2.6 million.
"First" implies that there is more.

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 12:20 PM
"First" implies that there is more.

Ditto.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Well the first article said one year deal.

Who knows -- I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a player option for a second. That's a common hedge against a career-ending injury.

Money316
09-03-2005, 07:11 PM
SAN ANTONIO - Michael Finley held his tongue when the Mavericks waived him Aug. 15."

A strategic pause.

:fro :fro :fro

Dex
09-03-2005, 07:20 PM
He said calls from Spurs forward Tim Duncan and Van Exel helped sway his decision.

Somebody alert Sequ.

Guru of Nothing
09-03-2005, 08:48 PM
He said calls from Spurs forward Tim Duncan and Van Exel helped sway his decision.

CIA Duncan!

He's always hugging players on the opposition, and we are now seeing the payoff.

Marcus Bryant
09-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Well, the Spurs will have their full MLE next season. Makes you wonder...

Cant_Be_Faded
09-03-2005, 08:52 PM
CIA Duncan!

He's always hugging players on the opposition, and we are now seeing the payoff.

hahah! i love it

i have bone spurs
09-03-2005, 11:22 PM
will that mavs spurs matchup be on ESPN, so I can watch it here in Australia