PDA

View Full Version : Asus ROG 17.3 Thoughts?

DMC
02-28-2015, 08:38 PM
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4Ghz (Turbo 3.4 GHz)
32 GB DDR3
512GB SSD (256GB SSD x 2 RAID) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
17.3-inch screen, GeForce GTX 880M 4GB
Windows 8.1 Professional

Not a big fan of 8.1 but I am looking to get a "gaming" laptop that can double (via HDD swap) as a business laptop. Big, heavier to carry though airports but my concern is more around it's performance. I run some graphic intensive apps. My current setup handles my games just fine, but portability is my goal. Being on the road a lot means being stuck with my current 15" laptop with very limited application capability.

Thoughts other than the OP is a faggot?

lefty
02-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Buy it tbh

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 12:06 AM
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

32 GB DDR3
Windows 8.1 Professional

Not a big fan of 8.1 but I am looking to get a "gaming" laptop that can double (via HDD swap) as a business laptop. Big, heavier to carry though airports but my concern is more around it's performance. I run some graphic intensive apps. My current setup handles my games just fine, but portability is my goal. Being on the road a lot means being stuck with my current 15" laptop with very limited application capability.

I prefer going mini-ITX tbh, like this professional in a similar situation

jWKA6WKDMHA

DMC
03-01-2015, 12:17 AM
I have a high end desktop already. That's an interesting box though (both the PC and the blonde). Wonder what she used for a monitor.

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 12:30 AM
I have a high end desktop already. That's an interesting box though (both the PC and the blonde). Wonder what she used for a monitor.

That's a lot of money for a gaming laptop with a GTX 880m instead of a GTX 980m tbh.

ifQpxBeSxz0

ElNono
03-01-2015, 12:33 AM
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

32 GB DDR3
Windows 8.1 Professional

Looks solid. Dunno about the RAID SSD setup. By the description it's a RAID 0, striping setup. You would be going from 0.5 GB/sec to 1GB/sec, which is a big difference but only noticeable if you're working with large files.

Don't worry about 8.1. It's a solid OS, and 10 is around the corner.

All around good reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/G750JZ-XS72-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IAACXMU

DMC
03-01-2015, 12:34 AM
That's a lot of money for a gaming laptop with a GTX 880m instead of a GTX 980m tbh.

ifQpxBeSxz0

I did the research on them, the difference is negligible and not worth the extra Bens. For the same money I was able to get 12GB DDR and 2 SATA 256 SSDs instead. They wanted about 500 more for that card.

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 12:41 AM
I did the research on them, the difference is negligible and not worth the extra Bens. For the same money I was able to get 12GB DDR and 2 SATA 256 SSDs instead. They wanted about 500 more for that card.

:cry But Crysis 3 at console framerates makes baby Jesus cry :cry

DMC
03-01-2015, 12:44 AM
:cry But Crysis 3 at console framerates makes baby Jesus cry :cry

Totally worth 25% of the laptop price for those extra FRs on Crysis though, I won't lie. I never buy the leading edge technology. They charge a premium for bragging rights. No one gives a shit about how fast my laptop is but me. They haven't made a processor faster than depreciation.

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 12:45 AM
Totally worth 25% of the laptop price for those extra FRs on Crysis though, I won't lie.

Psycho would be proud

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 12:48 AM
He needs this after those bastards cut him out of his nanosuit

DMC
03-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Who's psycho? Is he a character in the game?

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2015, 12:57 AM
how about a lappy from metabox or clevo whatever it is...

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Who's psycho? Is he a character in the game?

http://squarefaction.ru/files/game/5912/gallery/0515b356e2b79c1ccbb11b1efdfbd2b7.jpg

DJR210
03-01-2015, 01:39 AM
That laptop is solid on paper, but saying that without looking at the price. Laptops labeled as gaming are always inflated. You also have options on that laptop that drive cost that aren't really worth it like the RAID setup and 32 GB.. Hell, 16 GB is still overkill.

DJR210
03-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah, and OP is a faggot

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Totally worth 25% of the laptop price for those extra FRs on Crysis though, I won't lie. I never buy the leading edge technology. They charge a premium for bragging rights. No one gives a shit about how fast my laptop is but me. They haven't made a processor faster than depreciation.

Crysis 3 is kind of a shitty game anyways. Beautiful graphically but nowhere near as fun as Crysis 1 when you're sniping North Koreans.

DMC
03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
That laptop is solid on paper, but saying that without looking at the price. Laptops labeled as gaming are always inflated. You also have options on that laptop that drive cost that aren't really worth it like the RAID setup and 32 GB.. Hell, 16 GB is still overkill.
I run a lot of Adobe windows simultaneously. It uses a lot of memory.

DJR210
03-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I run a lot of Adobe windows simultaneously. It uses a lot of memory.

Have you run the diagnostics while running Adobe to know exactly where you stand with RAM usage?

Also, one thing I'd do is read the user feedback on Amazon and Newegg, because the RoG line from Asus just seem to be a step behind when it comes to quality control.

DMC
03-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Have you run the diagnostics while running Adobe to know exactly where you stand with RAM usage?

Also, one thing I'd do is read the user feedback on Amazon and Newegg, because the RoG line from Asus just seem to be a step behind when it comes to quality control.

I've read the reviews, but I also know that a pissed off customer who's experienced a double deviation is more likely to write a review than one who's laptop performed as advertised. Even so, I know there's a risk when you buy online, but I haven't found retail outlets to have configurations that suit me. If anything, they have a generically configured base model, maybe with one or two odd upgrades. Rarely will you find exactly what you're looking for.

I've checked out MSI, Razer and a few others like Alienware, which I've always felt was an overpriced laptop that would be more embarrassing to pull out on an airplane than anything. I mean, seriously? An alien on the thing? When they were a separate company, they were focused on building the top end system, spare no expense, and they lobbied for and received the top yielding CPUs from Intel. For that you paid a premium.

I know I could get a 1500.00 model that will run any game I ever play, but for the specs I am looking for, this particular system seems to have the price benefit along with some basic consensus among many gaming/high end users as one of the top 5 gaming laptops (at least at the end of 2014). I rarely if ever pay for leading edge technology, it's not worth the price to me. I'm about to buy a 70" LED TV for my office, and I'll pay just about 1K for it. Had I wanted it when it was "new", it would be 5k or more. Same TV.

I know what Adobe requires, what makes it run much faster (like using an SSD for a scratch disk instead of using the HDD), and if I could get 64G I would. While I don't buy leading edge, I won't buy trailing edge either since it will be approaching "upgrade" status too soon.

Brunodf
03-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Sounds legit, too bad its an ASUS, they usually dont last more than 2 years

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 09:12 PM
a few others like Alienware, which I've always felt was an overpriced laptop that would be more embarrassing to pull out on an airplane than anything

:lmao

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Damn, when did Asus become shit? Used to be the two best companies to buy boards from were Abit and Asus, but Abit's dead as fuck now. I hear nothing but bad things about Asus' video cards now, especially their R9 290 and R9 290x which are supposed to be almost as bad as reference. But their motherboards are still far and away the most expensive.

DJR210
03-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Damn, when did Asus become shit? Used to be the two best companies to buy boards from were Abit and Asus, but Abit's dead as fuck now. I hear nothing but bad things about Asus' video cards now, especially their R9 290 and R9 290x which are supposed to be almost as bad as reference. But their motherboards are still far and away the most expensive.

I stick to Asus motherboards, I have the Sabretooth Z77 and it's been great. It's also covered with a 5 year warranty.

DJR210
03-01-2015, 10:27 PM
I've read the reviews, but I also know that a pissed off customer who's experienced a double deviation is more likely to write a review than one who's laptop performed as advertised. Even so, I know there's a risk when you buy online, but I haven't found retail outlets to have configurations that suit me. If anything, they have a generically configured base model, maybe with one or two odd upgrades. Rarely will you find exactly what you're looking for.

I've checked out MSI, Razer and a few others like Alienware, which I've always felt was an overpriced laptop that would be more embarrassing to pull out on an airplane than anything. I mean, seriously? An alien on the thing? When they were a separate company, they were focused on building the top end system, spare no expense, and they lobbied for and received the top yielding CPUs from Intel. For that you paid a premium.

I know I could get a 1500.00 model that will run any game I ever play, but for the specs I am looking for, this particular system seems to have the price benefit along with some basic consensus among many gaming/high end users as one of the top 5 gaming laptops (at least at the end of 2014). I rarely if ever pay for leading edge technology, it's not worth the price to me. I'm about to buy a 70" LED TV for my office, and I'll pay just about 1K for it. Had I wanted it when it was "new", it would be 5k or more. Same TV.

I know what Adobe requires, what makes it run much faster (like using an SSD for a scratch disk instead of using the HDD), and if I could get 64G I would. While I don't buy leading edge, I won't buy trailing edge either since it will be approaching "upgrade" status too soon.

Try xoticpc.com, they can build you a laptop to whatever specs you need. I've heard good things about them on other tech forums.

DMC
03-01-2015, 10:55 PM
I think Lefty had the most informative advice so I bought it.

Cry Havoc
03-01-2015, 11:29 PM

Asus is still pretty solid overall.

DMC
03-02-2015, 02:41 AM

Good thing for warranties then. I've never had any PC last less than 2 years, actually never less than as long as I wanted to keep them. I've replaced components before, not an issue, but never had one just head south on me out of the blue.... screen of death.

resistanze
03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Asus is still pretty solid overall.

Agreed. My laptop still going strong from 2009.

baseline bum
03-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Agreed. My laptop still going strong from 2009.

Xo8wRKpqAPI

resistanze
03-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Xo8wRKpqAPI

Lmao

03-02-2015, 10:56 PM
MSI is pretty good too if don't go with ASUS.

DMC
03-04-2015, 11:20 PM
MSI is pretty good too if don't go with ASUS.
I looked at MSI and all the custom stuff. Basically by the time I put OS on it, everything becomes "pick the name". You don't get more or less, unless you want a fancy colored LED keyboard which I don't. I like the more subdued look of the Asus as compared to other "gaming" systems. I did, however, catch the system about 400 lower than it's been running for a year (camelcamelcamel.com) and was able to get the 980M for the same price I would have gotten the 880M at just a few days earlier.

I have a 70" LED TV in my office that I want to hook the laptop to (also have a 3 27" Asus monitor setup) to see how it looks. That way I can curse people out on here from the recliner in the back of my office instead of sitting at my desk. Some things you just can't put a price tag on.

DMC
03-08-2015, 01:32 AM
So I got it and am using it now. It's pretty fast. Big laptop, no doubt, and I had to order a backpack online because there's nothing local that will hold that thing.

ElNono
03-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Core i7 are fast as fuck, tbh.... :tu

DMC
05-07-2015, 11:43 AM
So a few months after purchase, it serves as my desktop as well now. I've immigrated all my work related material to it so now my work laptop feels like it's archaic. This thing is fast, but tbh most of what I notice as "fast" is just how the system is configured. I've done some benchmarks and they are good, but like everything under 5K you'll find better benchmarks for this or that memory/GPU/SSD and such. It's a beast though. I'm running one monitor from the HDMI port and another from the Thunderbolt port. I haven't seen any issues other than GPU temps with the lid closed are a bit on the high side for some of the high end graphics (Speedfan), but it hasn't caused an issue. If I see it trend I'll consider a repaste but right now I think it's ok.

I realize it's not doing the exact same thing as my other laptops, but it can start up and shut down 3 or more times before my work laptop can do either.