PDA

View Full Version : If you are not getting better than you are falling behind.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-01-2015, 06:41 AM
This is something that I hear Romo say all the time nowadays. What does he have to do with the Spurs you ask? Well, he has been able to maintain a high level of play into his 30s despite debilitating injury. He thinks if he stops throwing and working on his game that it will backslide.

Tony Parker took the summer off in response to wear related injuries and didn't see the court for months and I believe that to be the primary reason for his decline in play. He has shown signs of his former quickness. Falling on his ass against Exum aside, he has been starting to beat people to spots. The bigger issue in my mind is his ability to finish around the rim. His tear drop looks like shit and he has lost his touch around the rim. That doesn't leave quite that easy else control pitchers wouldn't routinely play into their late 30's.

I think that as the season progresses that he will incrementally get better. It may be too little too late but he and Patty remain our best hope for offense from the 1. This next offseason he need not summer in Toulouse.

100%duncan
03-01-2015, 06:56 AM
no shit?

and *then

boutons_deux
03-01-2015, 08:31 AM
I remember a quote from a HoF baseball player, a historic batter I think (maybe Bob Clemente?). "As you get older, it's twice as hard to get in shape, twice as hard to stay in shape, and you lose shape twice as fast". I think Tony's problem was physical, the hamstring, but was (is?) more mental. In some games, for years, his face looks like he's out of it, disinterested, detached, even drugged. These past fews horrible weeks of the really poor Tony have been very weird.

Johnny RIngo
03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
I remember a quote from a HoF baseball player, a historic batter I think (maybe Bob Clemente?). "As you get older, it's twice as hard to get in shape, twice as hard to stay in shape, and you lose shape twice as fast". I think Tony's problem was physical, the hamstring, but was (is?) more mental. In some games, for years, his face looks like he's out of it, disinterested, detached, even drugged. These past fews horrible weeks of the really poor Tony have been very weird.

Duncan trains hard in the off-season to stay in shape. This is why he's still able to be incredibly productive at 39 years old. Pretty obvious that Tony doesn't train much at all in the summer based on his weight gain. He got paid, was satisfied and called it a day. Probably went with the Shaq approach - work his way into shape as the season progresses. Disappointing to see such poor work ethic from a team that has legends like TD, DRob, and Manu all playing impactful basketball well into their late 30s. Tony won't make it to 35 at this rate.