PDA

View Full Version : OT: Red Auerbach

100%duncan
03-02-2015, 12:51 AM
does he deserve to be in the G.O.A.T list?

lefty
03-02-2015, 12:57 AM
Somewhat yes

ElNono
03-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Somewhat yes

yes or not, faggot

100%duncan
03-02-2015, 01:01 AM
yes or not, faggot

:lol

Thebesteva
03-02-2015, 01:06 AM
He won during an era where you could smoke on the sidelines FFS

http://s3.amazonaws.com/filepicker-images-rapgenius/qhfRXcQTAyGgtJb71Iw9_RedAuerbach_original_display_ image%20(1).jpg

lefty
03-02-2015, 01:07 AM
yes or not, faggot
:lol

Arcadian
03-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Yep. I think of Red and Russell as an old-fashioned analogue of Pop and Duncan.

Red:Russell::Pop: Duncan

RD2191
03-02-2015, 01:08 AM
yes or not, faggot
Rekt

100%duncan
Yep. I think of Red and Russell as an old-fashioned analogue of Pop and Duncan.

Red:Russell::Pop:Duncan

I think that's an insult to the guys in Texas imho

lefty
Malik Hairston :

"My grandmother could have coached a team to a title in the 60's :lmao"

Thebesteva
03-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Malik Hairston (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18403) :

http://texashideout.tripod.com/scatman.jpg

DMC
03-02-2015, 02:09 AM
One of the GOATs is pointless if you don't know how many GOATs there are. You're either the GOAT or you aren't. He's not, but he's up there.

apalisoc_9
03-02-2015, 03:07 AM
He contributed a lot to basketball so yeah..

but even an high school coach knows more about ball than 60's guys..

Check out how they would utilize their players in the 60's and 70's...:lol

ezau
03-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Elgin Baylor not being able to dribble with his left hand :lol

spurraider21
03-02-2015, 04:10 AM

if you really want to make it accurate, throw in the word "antiquated" a few times tbh

scanry
03-02-2015, 06:20 AM
He contributed a lot to basketball so yeah..

but even an high school coach knows more about ball than 60's guys..

Check out how they would utilize their players in the 60's and 70's...:lol

That's evolution tbh.

lefty
03-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Elgin Baylor not being able to dribble with his left hand :lol:lol

if you really want to make it accurate, throw in the word "antiquated" a few times tbh
dammit

Pelicans78
03-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Yes he is.

Clipper Nation
03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
:lol There was like three other teams in the league during Auerbach's glory days. No, he's not one of the GOATs.

Thread
03-02-2015, 05:57 PM
What a disingenuous & bitter fuck though. As phony as a $3 bill. & cheap too, but, Media took care of him whenever the proverbial shit would hit the old Oscillator.

+ he could dish it, but, he could not take it.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2015, 05:59 PM
What a disingenuous & bitter fuck though. As phony as a $3 bill. & cheap too, but, Media took care of him whenever the proverbial shit would hit the old Oscillator.

You jes mad that the Lakeshow has to play 2nd fiddle.

Thread
03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
You jes mad that the Lakeshow has to play 2nd fiddle.

No. Because once we broke thru in '85 I discovered that instead of being genuine royalty, or, something special, he was just like everybody else:::could dish it, but, could not take it. Once we backed '85 with '87 it more or less killed that old man. All those fuckin' years we took it like a trooper, played the doormat as issued. Never bitched, took our medicine in the fine traditions, and then we was on top it killed him and his people.

SupremeGuy
03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
He won during an era where you could smoke on the sidelines FFS

http://s3.amazonaws.com/filepicker-images-rapgenius/qhfRXcQTAyGgtJb71Iw9_RedAuerbach_original_display_ image%20(1).jpgThat's pretty fucking boss, tbh.

DMC
03-02-2015, 07:21 PM

But he sure took you to the woodshed repeatedly, like a molesting father.

DMC
03-02-2015, 07:22 PM
No. Because once we broke thru in '85 I discovered that instead of being genuine royalty, or, something special, he was just like everybody else:::could dish it, but, could not take it. Once we backed '85 with '87 it more or less killed that old man. All those fuckin' years we took it like a trooper, played the doormat as issued. Never bitched, took our medicine in the fine traditions, and then we was on top it killed him and his people.

Wait, so when the lakers win 2 years apart, they "backed". When the Spurs do it, they failed to defend their title. You're a two faced shit, Dale. Dish it, can't take it... you and Red, hand in hand.

Cry Havoc
03-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Wait, so when the lakers win 2 years apart, they "backed". When the Spurs do it, they failed to defend their title. You're a two faced shit, Dale. Dish it, can't take it... you and Red, hand in hand.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/lapierre-woo.gif

Malik Hairston
03-02-2015, 09:47 PM

:lmao my grandmothers never watched basketball, but my dog probably could have coached those teams, tbh..

cd021
03-03-2015, 04:59 AM
If its coach + GM or President duties then Pat Reily.

He kind of had a perfect situation

-10 teams

-No Free Agency

-Keeper teams (players played for the same team until they were traded or retired)

that team was stacked with HOFers. It would have been difficult to not have success with those teams in that situation.

Later on:

-Drafted Bird

-He stole Perish and Mchale via a trade that helped them win 3 chips.

DMC
03-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Guys thinking a team is some blister packed product a coach is handed... that's naive.

Great coaches have almost everything to do with the success of the team/franchise.

Guys living with mom, who can't finish Jr college in 5 years commenting on how easy Red had it... hilarious.

RsxPiimp
03-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Guys thinking a team is some blister packed product a coach is handed... that's naive.

Great coaches have almost everything to do with the success of the team/franchise.

Guys living with mom, who can't finish Jr college in 5 years commenting on how easy Red had it... hilarious.
DMC you my white nigga

Thread
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Later on:

-Drafted Bird

The NBA changed the rule for him, then after he got Bird they changed the rule back.

ambchang
03-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Auerbach made some significant progress in the league:
- Played players based on ability, not race. He's not the first one to do it, but he was the first one to have great success doing it
- Utilized Bill Russell's defense and outlet passes as the foundation for 11 titles
- Took advantage of Cousy's speed and ball handling to run fast breaks
- Built super teams by drafting smartly and developing specialized roles for his players
- Had great floor spacing by using outside shooters

Ultimately, the greatest coaches leave a mark on the league
- Daly emphasized the defensive aspect of the game
- Pop with the unconventional way of forcing players to the middle and taking advantage of the twin towers, integrating the motion offense, resting players and monitoring minutes
- Don Nelson with his unconventional lineups (that really led to nothing, but it was groundbreaking)
- Larry Brown and the way the offensive spacing was perfect, where screens were used precisely
- Pat Riley and his motivational tactics
- Phil Jackson and his ability to steal advanced concepts from Tex Winter and calls it his own
- Jack Ramsey and his emphasis on fitness
- Rudy T with that inside out offense taking advantage of Hakeem and shooters (copied by Lakers and Spurs, but he was ultimately a one-trick pony though).

Auerbach certainly belowed to the GOAT coaches list - Pop, Daly and Auerbach are my top 3, Riley and Jackson are the greatest rah rah guys, Brown the best X and O guy, and Nelson is the best alchemist.

Thread
03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
^I'm just grateful he lived long to bear witness 9 June 1985.

ambchang
03-03-2015, 10:37 AM
^I'm just grateful he lived long to bear witness 9 June 1985.

Not long enough to see the Lakers tie it up though.

At this rate, nobody on this board would live long enough to see the Lakers have a .500 record vs. the Celtics in the Finals.

:lol 9-3

Killakobe81
03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Auerbach made some significant progress in the league:
- Played players based on ability, not race. He's not the first one to do it, but he was the first one to have great success doing it
- Utilized Bill Russell's defense and outlet passes as the foundation for 11 titles
- Took advantage of Cousy's speed and ball handling to run fast breaks
- Built super teams by drafting smartly and developing specialized roles for his players
- Had great floor spacing by using outside shooters

Ultimately, the greatest coaches leave a mark on the league
- Daly emphasized the defensive aspect of the game
- Pop with the unconventional way of forcing players to the middle and taking advantage of the twin towers, integrating the motion offense, resting players and monitoring minutes
- Don Nelson with his unconventional lineups (that really led to nothing, but it was groundbreaking)
- Larry Brown and the way the offensive spacing was perfect, where screens were used precisely
- Pat Riley and his motivational tactics
- Phil Jackson and his ability to steal advanced concepts from Tex Winter and calls it his own
- Jack Ramsey and his emphasis on fitness
- Rudy T with that inside out offense taking advantage of Hakeem and shooters (copied by Lakers and Spurs, but he was ultimately a one-trick pony though).

Auerbach certainly belowed to the GOAT coaches list - Pop, Daly and Auerbach are my top 3, Riley and Jackson are the greatest rah rah guys, Brown the best X and O guy, and Nelson is the best alchemist.

I like Daly but that is a bit high Riles or Phil deserves that spot. I do love the stole from Tex and called it his own shot though, funny stuff. Only in spurstalk.

DMC had the greatest line a few spots above yours. The older I get the more I vlue coaching. When I first started coaching or even as a kid I to believed that Anyone could win with Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Magic etc. But after watching these so called innovative coaches of the modern era Only Pop, RC, and believe it or not spo are the only coaches truly worth a shit and really Pop is from the era before this. I think Bud and Kerr can join that group but I need to see more. Doc, Vogel, Tibbs are solid but overrated tbh. And the rest are pretty shitty overall. I may have missed a coach here and there but I would take Red or Daly's corpse over the lot of 'em

Thread
03-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Not long enough to see the Lakers tie it up though.

At this rate, nobody on this board would live long enough to see the Lakers have a .500 record vs. the Celtics in the Finals.

:lol 9-3

Still, watching Stockton & Heinsohn face the music 9 June 1985 in MA. was sublime. You'd a thought somebody died.

tee, hee.

ambchang
03-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Still, watching Stockton & Heinsohn face the music 9 June 1985 in MA. was sublime. You'd a thought somebody died.

tee, hee.

After the Lakers died 8 times.

Thread
03-03-2015, 11:32 AM
After the Lakers died 8 times.

True, but, that day, 9 June 1985 they died and they ain't ever gotten over it. They had to take it that day. & they had nary other choice.

baseline bum
03-03-2015, 11:52 AM

???

Pop's entire defensive philosophy in the twin tower days was to deny middle penetration at any cost.

ambchang
03-03-2015, 01:27 PM
???

Pop's entire defensive philosophy in the twin tower days was to deny middle penetration at any cost.

I meant forcing the players to the baseline. Away from the middle. My fault.

ambchang
03-03-2015, 01:29 PM
True, but, that day, 9 June 1985 they died and they ain't ever gotten over it. They had to take it that day. & they had nary other choice.

June 17, 2008 disagree.

Kool Bob Love
03-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Homie made a living beating the shit outta the lakers. Bless his heart.

http://youtu.be/UzJvC8US2g0

Thread
03-03-2015, 05:48 PM
June 17, 2008 disagree.

Didn't eradicate '85.

ambchang
03-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Didn't eradicate '85.

85 sure didn't eradicate the previous 8.

DMC
03-03-2015, 10:39 PM
No no NO you cannot re-use his reasoning. He gets to use it. It's his shit. Get your own shit.

Thread
03-03-2015, 10:58 PM

True, but it happened.

Thread
03-03-2015, 10:58 PM
It's his shit. Get your own shit.

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

ambchang
03-04-2015, 11:43 AM
True, but it happened.

And so did 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 68, 69, 84, and 08.

I mean, 3-9 vs. the Celtics in the Finals. Has any other franchise lost that many times to another franchise in the playoffs (let alone the finals)? This is total domination.

Thread
03-04-2015, 01:01 PM
And so did 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 68, 69, 84, and 08.

I mean, 3-9 vs. the Celtics in the Finals. Has any other franchise lost that many times to another franchise in the playoffs (let alone the finals)? This is total domination.

Absolutely. But, 9 June 1985 we busted their hole on MA. soil. You'd a thought somebody died. tee, hee.

ambchang
03-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Absolutely. But, 9 June 1985 we busted their hole on MA. soil. You'd a thought somebody died. tee, hee.

It's like that for every loser in the Finals.

Brazil
03-04-2015, 02:42 PM

this tbh

Thread
03-04-2015, 03:46 PM
It's like that for every loser in the Finals.

But, they were CBS's' announcers, not Most and supposed unbiased...tee, hee.

ambchang
03-04-2015, 09:58 PM
But, they were CBS's' announcers, not Most and supposed unbiased...tee, hee.

Acting like ESPN hasn't been propping up the lakers for the entire 00's.

Thread
03-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Acting like ESPN hasn't been propping up the lakers for the entire 00's.

You got no room. Aside from me nobody uttered a peep about 6.

ambchang
03-04-2015, 10:33 PM
You got no room. Aside from me nobody uttered a peep about 6.

Are you kidding? That Ray allen shot got played more than any other play the last two years.

Thread
03-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Are you kidding? That Ray allen shot got played more than any other play the last two years.

That's the Ray Allen end. He didn't get that via osmosis.

ambchang
03-05-2015, 09:06 AM
That's the Ray Allen end. He didn't get that via osmosis.

It highlights the failure of the Spurs to close that game in 6.

Thread
03-05-2015, 10:24 AM
It highlights the failure of the Spurs to close that game in 6.

That was Amy Duncan, daddy.

ambchang
03-05-2015, 11:13 AM
That was Amy Duncan, daddy.

Amy took 11 and 12 away as duncan was playing like crap those two seasons. She has nothing to do with 13 as duncan just beasted that year and through the playoffs.

We know Faber cost the lakers the 04 title though.

Thread
03-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Amy took 11 and 12 away as duncan was playing like crap those two seasons. She has nothing to do with 13 as duncan just beasted that year and through the playoffs.

We know Faber cost the lakers the 04 title though.

Your's was in the case. In there. Madison Avenue was selling your shit on the TV.

He shoulda gave the her money when she asked. But, like you fellows say,,,he had the prenup.

tee, hee.

ambchang
03-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Your's was in the case. In there. Madison Avenue was selling your shit on the TV.

He shoulda gave the her money when she asked. But, like you fellows say,,,he had the prenup.

tee, hee.

Unless you want to say amy had anything to do with the Spurs not getting the rebound with duncan off the court or Allen hitting that three, your entire argument falls apart.

Explain in detail, preferably in sequence how amy led to the Spurs losing in 13, and specifically the finals.

Thread
03-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Unless you want to say amy had anything to do with the Spurs not getting the rebound with duncan off the court or Allen hitting that three, your entire argument falls apart.

Explain in detail, preferably in sequence how amy led to the Spurs losing in 13, and specifically the finals.

She demanded A. a divorce & B. her money. C. Tim got his back up & his pre nup outta the Safe Deposit Box and threw it in her face. D. She went to the Media. E. Spurs Championship Gear hit the airwaves. E. Battier broke his hole. F. I pulled the Lazy Boy Handle. G. Kobe: 5 the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4.

Let us proceed...

ambchang
03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
She demanded A. a divorce & B. her money. C. Tim got his back up & his pre nup outta the Safe Deposit Box and threw it in her face. D. She went to the Media. E. Spurs Championship Gear hit the airwaves. E. Battier broke his hole. F. I pulled the Lazy Boy Handle. G. Kobe: 5 the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4.

Let us proceed...

But those are just things that happened in sequence. The Spurs had the championship "in the bag" before the Allen 3. Duncan was sitting on the bench and Allen nailed the three, how was that related to Amy?

Duncan had a monster game in both Games 6 and 7, she also filed for divorce well before those games, and the Spurs still went up 3-2 in the series before then.

Thread
03-05-2015, 04:19 PM
But those are just things that happened in sequence. The Spurs had the championship "in the bag" before the Allen 3. Duncan was sitting on the bench and Allen nailed the three, how was that related to Amy?

Bottom line:::if they were still hitched your three peat would be imminent.

ambchang
03-06-2015, 09:20 AM

I disagree. Duncan was horrible when they were hitched and played phenomenal once she filed the divorce.

You have it reversed.

100%duncan
03-06-2015, 09:21 AM
I disagree. Duncan was horrible when they were hitched and played phenomenal once she filed the divorce.

You have it reversed.

Leave it to that old fart who wasn't here to take the shit the whole summer.

Kool Bob Love
03-06-2015, 09:32 AM

Promises, promises.

Thread
03-06-2015, 11:07 AM

You have it reversed.

tee, hee.

Thread
03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Promises, promises.

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Expert
03-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Before the divorce there was no hope of a ring. Now you're talking 3peat. 2008 - 2012, nothing. Divorce happens, b2b Finals and a ring. You do the math.

Thread
03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Before the divorce there was no hope of a ring. Now you're talking 3peat. 2008 - 2012, nothing. Divorce happens, b2b Finals and a ring. You do the math.

You got 1 in the fuckin' winds because of that divorce, dad. They were sellin' your ring wampum on the fuckin' television. And you're gonna argue with me?

ambchang
03-06-2015, 02:00 PM
tee, hee.

Apology accepted.