PDA

View Full Version : Pop was shocked the Spurs won a Sloan analytics award

spursparker9
03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/011915_pop.jpg

Apparently all the San Antonio Spurs do is win.

Yesterday at MIT's Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, the Spurs won the award for best analytical team in professional sports and their general manager R.C. Buford, was honored with a lifetime achievement award for his work in the field. Although the organization has had plenty of success, this was fantastic news but was still shocking for head coach Gregg Popovich.

Probably because he had no idea that this was something they could even win as Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News reports.

“I had no idea there was such a conference or such an award,” Popovich said before Saturday's 101-74 victory over the Suns.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25086167/gregg-popovich-was-shocked-the-spurs-won-a-sloan-analytics-award

Seventyniner
03-02-2015, 08:56 AM
That award is mostly a sham. Instead of what it should be, which is "team that uses analytics the best," it appears to be "best team that happens to use analytics."

If the Sloan conference were to give the award to another team, the Spurs having dominated the league last year would be an indictment of their own studies.

AaronY
03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Nerds trying to take credit for the Spurs championships imo

exstatic
03-02-2015, 09:28 AM
That award is mostly a sham. Instead of what it should be, which is "team that uses analytics the best," it appears to be "best team that happens to use analytics."

If the Sloan conference were to give the award to another team, the Spurs having dominated the league last year would be an indictment of their own studies.

So a good/great team can never win the award without it being tainted? That's pretty flawed thinking.

MarCowMar
03-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I always got the impression the hack-a-shaq strategy was something the Spurs analysts came up with that Pop grudgingly decided to go along with.

weebo
03-02-2015, 10:00 AM
I always got the impression the hack-a-shaq strategy was something the Spurs analysts came up with that Pop grudgingly decided to go along with.

Actually it was Dallas Mavs coach, Don Nelson, who devised the idea of putting poor free throwing shooting players on the line. I believe it was used on Dennis Rodman in Chicago first but was better known for its use on Shaq.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Actually it was Dallas Mavs coach, Don Nelson, who devised the idea of putting poor free throwing shooting players on the line. I believe it was used on Dennis Rodman in Chicago first but was better known for its use on Shaq.

I think the point wasn't so much to say that nobody had ever thought of it before this, but to guess that someone statistically justified the strategy to Pop's satisfaction before he used it (and that other analytics departments hadn't done that, perhaps).

exstatic
03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
It's statistics, but not advanced or mysterious. If a player shoots 65% from the field, but 45% from the line, the line is where you want him.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM

Nellie used it on Bruce Bowen in Game 1 of the 2003 West Finals, too.

pgardn
03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
So a good/great team can never win the award without it being tainted? That's pretty flawed thinking.

This popularizes the award as well.

The proper application of what the data gives you is what is important. This would be incredibly hard to measure for complex phenomena that have so many other variables. I imagine when used properly, it shows that use of analytics helped in reaching a very clear cut simple goal without a huge number of variables. I think he has a good point. But I understand your point.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2015, 10:21 AM

Nellie used it on Bruce Bowen at times in the 2003 West Finals, too. Bowen responded by making 63% of his FTs, largely negating the strategy.

hater
03-02-2015, 10:40 AM
:lmao Pop with a big fuck you to the analytics crowd

exstatic
03-02-2015, 12:10 PM
:lmao Pop with a big fuck you to the analytics crowd

Except not. Just Pop doing his best Pop. Deflect, deny. The minute that every other team catches on, we lose our advantage.

Seventyniner
03-02-2015, 12:11 PM

No, it's that they'll find a way to praise the best team for using analytics, even if that team isn't the best at using them. If, for example, the Rockets had gotten the award, people might ask "how could they be the best at using analytics if they lost in the first round? Analytics must not be that great after all."

My main point is that we'll never really know if the Spurs are actually considered the best at using analytics because they were going to win this award anyway.

exstatic
03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
No, it's that they'll find a way to praise the best team for using analytics, even if that team isn't the best at using them. If, for example, the Rockets had gotten the award, people might ask "how could they be the best at using analytics if they lost in the first round? Analytics must not be that great after all."

My main point is that we'll never really know if the Spurs are actually considered the best at using analytics because they were going to win this award anyway.

Except, we've never won in the past.

The Rockets problems have nothing to do with analytics, and everything to do with lack of continuity. They ship players out faster than Quik-Klean ships out dry cleaning.

Kidd K
03-02-2015, 01:02 PM
It's statistics, but not advanced or mysterious. If a player shoots 65% from the field, but 45% from the line, the line is where you want him.

Nah, it just means you want to keep the ball out of his hands in the zones he's shooting that well in. Sending him to the line would only make sense if it was less efficient than forming a defensive strategy around keeping the ball out of his hands while letting lesser players try to score.

I get you point though.

Chinook
03-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Except, we've never won in the past.

The Rockets problems have nothing to do with analytics, and everything to do with lack of continuity. They ship players out faster than Quik-Klean ships out dry cleaning.

You're pretty much agreeing with him. The award has little to do with analytics usage and more to do with general success. The Spurs are actually mediocre in their emphasis on analytics. But because they were the best team that used it at all, they won the award.

hater
03-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Except not. Just Pop doing his best Pop. Deflect, deny. The minute that every other team catches on, we lose our advantage.

AND taking a shit on the analytics losers.

He's from the old school, if it was up to Pop nobody would talk about analytics (it would exist, but in secret)

Pop is shitting on all the analytics losers that have awards and pat each other on the back in public. fucking losers. He doesn't believe in that.

dabom
03-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Hater is a fucking moron

hater
03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm a fucking moron

water is wet

FuzzyLumpkins
03-02-2015, 05:54 PM
You're pretty much agreeing with him. The award has little to do with analytics usage and more to do with general success. The Spurs are actually mediocre in their emphasis on analytics. But because they were the best team that used it at all, they won the award.

And how exactly would you know what stats the Spurs compile or use? I'm guessing you are talking out of your ass here.

Uriel
03-02-2015, 06:37 PM
What makes you say they're "mediocre?"

LakerHater
03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Didnt barkley say that the Spurs werent Analytical or the worst in analytics?

Chinook
03-02-2015, 09:22 PM
What makes you say they're "mediocre?"

Pop is clearly an "eye-test" guy. He's a great strategist, but he's not a guy who's gonna be guided by numbers. Could have sworn he's said as much a few times. He's obviously smart, but not in the sense people consider Morey and Hinkie to be.

Robz4000
03-02-2015, 09:36 PM

Fuck nerds

ElNono
03-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Fuck nerds

Odds of fucking a good looking nerd are 0.003%. Advanced stats show that the average nerd BMI is 22% (+- 1.2%) larger than the average. Things like "she has a nice personality" are antiquated models from a bygone era.

Robz4000
03-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Odds of fucking a good looking nerd are 0.003%. Advanced stats show that the average nerd BMI is 22% (+- 1.2%) larger than the average. Things like "she has a nice personality" are antiquated models from a bygone era.

same

exstatic
03-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Pop is clearly an "eye-test" guy. He's a great strategist, but he's not a guy who's gonna be guided by numbers. Could have sworn he's said as much a few times. He's obviously smart, but not in the sense people consider Morey and Hinkie to be.

I see you've fallen for Pop's "aw shucks/Br'er Rabbit" routine like most of the media. The fact that he finally played Splitter tells you he uses analytics. Splitter can look as bad as Ayres out there, but if you look at the analytics, he's a defensive rock. Pop fought it for over a year, but finally realized that the numbers did tell the tale. I would go so far as to say that Pop uses analytics without necessarily understanding them, a sort of faith.

MI21
03-02-2015, 10:28 PM

According to this, you are quite off base.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12331388/the-great-analytics-rankings

Spurs are recognised as being Top 5 in amount of analytics used.

wildchild
03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Off Topic

When David Stern held the office of NBA Commissioner, he fined the Spurs $250,000 after head coach Gregg Popovich sent four starters home the day of a nationally televised contest against LeBron James and the Miami Heat.
Adam Silver, who took over for Stern in February of 2014, isn’t likely to follow in his predecessor’s footsteps....But Popovich has long felt that resting his players during certain stretches of the league’s long, 82-game grind would be beneficial, and Silver, speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Friday, was willing to concede that as the league looks to make injury data available for all teams to analyze, it may ultimately prove what Popovich has known all along
The moderator of the panel then quipped that once all teams start embracing that sharing of data and begin to analyze it, Popovich won’t be able to sit four starters for a particular game anymore, because the information won’t support the decision.
“Or,” Silver said, “Maybe he’s right.”

Should give the Spurs their money back...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/01/adam-silver-says-data-may-prove-gregg-popovich-right-in-terms-of-resting-multiple-players/#comments

hater
03-03-2015, 10:49 AM

:lol truth bomb