PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in my Spurs

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 07:20 PM
In the aftermath of Katrina I would have expected more from the Spurs organization

Giving 10,000 pre-season tickets for a donation is lame.

How about having them...as a team....go to Kelly USA and talk to those displaced?

How about them doing a PSA to encourage everyone to pitch in one way or another by volunteering, donating, etc. A PSA would do even more than the wonderful things you see now. It might even encourage those who are indifferent to help in some way. Contrary to what Barkley says, they are role models. The spurs pride themselves on their civic image, duty, responsibility, etc. Now would be an ideal time to really set it in stone.

A public appear at Kelly USA is all I ask....is that too much?

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 07:23 PM
In the aftermath of Katrina I would have expected more from the Spurs organization

How about having them...as a team....go to Kelly USA and talk to those displaced?

How about them doing a PSA to encourage everyone to pitch in one way or another by volunteering, donating, etc. A PSA would do even more than the wonderful things you see now. It might even encourage those who are indifferent to help in some way. Contrary to what Barkley says, they are role models. The spurs pride themselves on their civic image, duty, responsibility, etc. Now would be an ideal time to really set it in stone.

:rolleyes

If people need a PSA from basketball players to tell them to donate money in order to inspire them to do so then this world is more screwed up than I though,

Vashner
09-03-2005, 07:24 PM
1. Give it time they will do public service. It's not right calling spurs down so fast..
2. You don't know how much money they have donated. They already have a lot of money going into other needy causes.
Chill out...

T Park
09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
You wanna give em some time to get organized maybe??

Jeesus....

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 07:39 PM
:rolleyes

If people need a PSA from basketball players to tell them to donate money in order to inspire them to do so then this world is more screwed up than I though,

Of course you over emphaize the point. My main concern is with the morale of those displaced. All I ask is them spend time with those affected, like they do when they visit hospitals, schools, etc.

I agree that it would be a messed up world if we have to rely on that....we don't though.

Roll your eyes all you want.

You see telethons with recording artists, actors, and other high profile people yet you hear nothing from the Spurs, and not all that much in comparison from the NBA, NFL, MLB. etc.

The NBA is donating $1mil....but in comparison that pales to many other high profile entities.

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 07:45 PM
You wanna give em some time to get organized maybe??

Jeesus....

If they get organized...fine....I have no problem with that.
Maybe they are.

After 9/11 you heard the vast majority of them make a statement of support.
At the Finley press conference, a quick statement of some kind.

If the Coyote can visit a few hundred refugees....this was a few days ago....at La Quinta, then the team can work something out.

If a large telethion can be organized by now....last night on NBC....a simple visit at Kelly for say an hour should be a snap

CharlieMac
09-03-2005, 07:52 PM

That's actually a great idea.

Didn't they donate 50,000 as well from the organization?

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Of course you over emphaize the point. My main concern is with the morale of those displaced. All I ask is them spend time with those affected, like they do when they visit hospitals, schools, etc.

I agree that it would be a messed up world if we have to rely on that....we don't though.

Roll your eyes all you want.

You see telethons with recording artists, actors, and other high profile people yet you hear nothing from the Spurs, and not all that much in comparison from the NBA, NFL, MLB. etc.

The NBA is donating $1mil....but in comparison that pales to many other high profile entities.

I'm sure those "celebs" got paid nothing to attend that event last night, they also probably didn't get a bunch of crap like gift bags to be there as well.

Please.

Also, most celebs that have given 1 million are worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars. NBA players aren't.

Also, when a high profile sports star goes to a hospital or some event, that takes time to organize. You just don't show up and say we'll here's so ans so, where are the sick and dying kids?

This day 2 of the refugees being bused and flown to San Antonio. You expect the Spurs to have a plan of action? No.

Not every Spur is in San Antonio.

If say 5 months from now the Spurs still haven't done anything, then make this thread. Until then just chill.

Useruser666
09-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Maybe they are doing things right now and don't want to call attention to themselves and be faced with people calling them out for being attention whores or publicity seekers.

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 07:57 PM
That's actually a great idea.

Didn't they donate 50,000 as well from the organization?

I am only aware of the tickets for donations.
A $50 gets you 2 pre-season ticket. They have 10,000 tickets to give.

Someone said if we need them to encourage us to donate then we have bigger issues. I guess this is what they mean.

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 07:59 PM
If they get organized...fine....I have no problem with that.
Maybe they are.

After 9/11 you heard the vast majority of them make a statement of support.
At the Finley press conference, a quick statement of some kind.

If the Coyote can visit a few hundred refugees....this was a few days ago....at La Quinta, then the team can work something out.

If a large telethion can be organized by now....last night on NBC....a simple visit at Kelly for say an hour should be a snap

The Spurs were the first pro sports team in all of america to visit ground zero.

By the way, do you live in the real world? Come on, do you know HOW many people it takes to get something like last nights event to go down so quickly? A lot.

And the Coyote is its own business. He/the guy playing the Coyote can call up and say "Hey, would you like for me to go down to the motel and entertain for awhile?"

It's not the same for players. Unless they're volunteers, they have no right or reason to be down at KellyUSA or where ever right now.

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Maybe they are doing things right now and don't want to call attention to themselves and be faced with people calling them out for being attention whores or publicity seekers.

Maybe...I hope you are right. But usually when they do that type of thing you hear about it and them Pop plays it down.

Why do you they would be attention whores and publicity seekers? They have the image of being there for their community, so it would be theier MO and nothing really all that new.

When the Tsunami hit, they quickly publicly said something. In the case of your own country, little has been said by the organization.

I seem to remeber them being there to help load food onto the transports for Red Cross after 9/11, the Tsunami, even our 1998 flood....it never took this long for them to respond in such manner.

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:22 PM
The Spurs were the first pro sports team in all of america to visit ground zero.

By the way, do you live in the real world? Come on, do you know HOW many people it takes to get something like last nights event to go down so quickly? A lot.

And the Coyote is its own business. He/the guy playing the Coyote can call up and say "Hey, would you like for me to go down to the motel and entertain for awhile?"

It's not the same for players. Unless they're volunteers, they have no right or reason to be down at KellyUSA or where ever right now.

The first sports team to visit ground zero...I know that.

Actually you go through the spurs to contact the coyote. He is not like the SD Chicken where he is privately entertaining.

They have no right to be at Kelly unless volunteering? Well they were volunteering and helping out during other instances.

You don't know how much money they have donated.

I am not talking about money....just maybe a 1 hour presence to cheer those refugees up.....some of them may be their future fans.

If I was a refugee, it would really make me raise my spirits to see local sports stars.

I'm sure those "celebs" got paid nothing to attend that event last night, they also probably didn't get a bunch of crap like gift bags to be there as well.

Please....you hsve no idea either...the point is they already put on a major production in a very short time.

Also, most celebs that have given 1 million are worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars. NBA players aren't.

Again...money is the issue I am raising......just a little bit of their time. Heck if the general public canvolunteer an hour a day for many days , they can find time to spend 1 hour...for one day....to boost the morale of those whose lives have been turned upside down.

SequSpur
09-03-2005, 08:23 PM
The Spurs aren't responsible for charities.

The Spurs are responsible for winning championships.

Vashner
09-03-2005, 08:24 PM
SPURS are proven for donating.. PERIOD..
It's not proper to question Spurs players and organization because they have been givers to the community since they day they moved into town...

I just don't like the approach that's negative ... Call the Spurs front office or send them a professional letter. Don't just assume they are not doing or planning some MORE stuff.

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 08:25 PM
The first sports team to visit ground zero...I know that.

Actually you go through the spurs to contact the coyote. He is not like the SD Chicken where he is privately entertaining.

They have no right to be at Kelly unless volunteering? Well they were volunteering and helping out during other instances.

I am not talking about money....just maybe a 1 hour presence to cheer those refugees up.....some of them may be their future fans.

If I was a refugee, it would really make me raise my spirits to see local sports stars.

Please....you hsve no idea either...the point is they already put on a major production in a very short time.

Again...money is the issue I am raising......just a little bit of their time. Heck if the general public canvolunteer an hour a day for many days , they can find time to spend 1 hour...for one day....to boost the morale of those whose lives have been turned upside down.

You do not have tp go through the Spurs to get the Coyote to perform where ever.

That thing was put up so quickly because they had the resources (many people) to do so. The Spurs don't. Not yet. I don't even think the Spurs would do something like what NBC did yesterday. No sports team would.

Old School Chic
09-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Calm down!

The Spurs organization Is doing all they can to help out In this time of need.

Vashner
09-03-2005, 08:29 PM
They don't call the community service award the David Robinson Award for no reason.....

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:32 PM
SPURS are proven for donating.. PERIOD..
It's not proper to question Spurs players and organization because they have been givers to the community since they day they moved into town...

I just don't like the approach that's negative ... Call the Spurs front office or send them a professional letter. Don't just assume they are not doing or planning some MORE stuff.

I know that they are proven for donating.....I am not questioning that whatsoever....they also have given their time for volunteering and appearances many times.....even for the most minute things....but it is almost always much quicker. Maybe I am spoiled because they are always so responsive and it just seems slow in comparison. I implied in my oroginal post this thought but didn't actually say it.

I am not trying to be negative. I guess I am spolied spurs fan because of all the great charity work I have seen this organization do since I have lived in San Antonio (1980).

I hope they do something more than just the donation if tickets.

BTW I did send them a short note by email suggesting they go to Kelly to give the refugees' spirits a lift.

Sense
09-03-2005, 08:33 PM
This thread is stupid.

The spurs shouldn't visit them because I wouldn't feel right about it.

1. Not all of them admire the Spurs.
2. There's criminals and it could be dangerous.
3. I don't think they'd appreciate it as much.
4. Not all of the Spurs have a free schedule.
5. Because the people in need don't need any Pro Athlete to give them a speech or something when they have other things to do...like look for family members.

Old School Chic
09-03-2005, 08:35 PM
This thread is stupid.

The spurs shouldn't visit them because I wouldn't feel right about it.

1. Not all of them admire the Spurs.
2. There's criminals and it could be dangerous.
3. I don't think they'd appreciate it as much.
4. Not all of the Spurs have a free schedule.
5. Because the people in need don't need any Pro Athlete to give them a speech or something when they have other things to do...like look for family members.

Well said Sense!

I'm dissappointed at cherylsteele for not having Faith In our Spurs!

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking.

if I'm a refugee frmo NEW ORLEANS, why do I care if the Spurs players come visit? I would rather have a donation (as much as an ASS as that sounds...)

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:37 PM
You do not have tp go through the Spurs to get the Coyote to perform where ever.

That thing was put up so quickly because they had the resources (many people) to do so. The Spurs don't. Not yet. I don't even think the Spurs would do something like what NBC did yesterday. No sports team would.

I am not talking about a telethon....geez.

1 hour of time. Just say "hello, welcome to San Antonio, hope you have a pleasant stay in spite of the circumstances. The people are here for you."

Doesn't take much money for that, if it is voluntary then the only cost is gas to get there.

SequSpur
09-03-2005, 08:39 PM
NBA Players make alot of money, but they spend alot of money.

Regards,

Patrick Ewing

Old School Chic
09-03-2005, 08:43 PM

1 hour of time. Just say "hello, welcome to San Antonio, hope you have a pleasant stay in spite of the circumstances. The people are here for you."

Doesn't take much money for that, if it is voluntary then the only cost is gas to get there.

Give It up! Your thread makes no sense.

The Saints are In town also...Don't you think the refugees would rather see the Saints visiting them then the Spurs?

Besides, the refugees are just getting accomodated. There Is no room In their schedule right now for celebrity appearances anyway. All they want right now, Is a well deserved hot bath, food, water, and a good night sleep...

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 08:43 PM

And they'll get back a "who the f--k are you?"

Not everyone there is a NBA fan or even cares about the NBA.

It's NOT needed right now. Do you understand that?

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 08:45 PM
And they'll get back a "who the f--k are you?"

Not everyone there is a NBA fan or even cares about the NBA.

It's NOT needed right now. Do you understand that?

That's what I just said above.

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking.

if I'm a refugee frmo NEW ORLEANS, why do I care if the Spurs players come visit? I would rather have a donation (as much as an ASS as that sounds...)

. Not all of them admire the Spurs.

If I was a refugee from san Antonio and had to go to say LA....I would not mide getting to meet Kobe, or Phil, just to say I got too meet them and they were saddened by whatever I was there for, it would really help my morale

There's criminals and it could be dangerous.

There could be crimminals everywhere. Besides they are checked for weapons before they go into the shelters.

Because the people in need don't need any Pro Athlete to give them a speech or something when they have other things to do...like look for family members.

I am not talking about a speech like that. Why listen to politicans who are showing support when we could be looking for family.

I don't think they'd appreciate it as much.
How do you know that?

Useruser666
09-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Maybe...I hope you are right. But usually when they do that type of thing you hear about it and them Pop plays it down.

Why do you they would be attention whores and publicity seekers? They have the image of being there for their community, so it would be theier MO and nothing really all that new.

When the Tsunami hit, they quickly publicly said something. In the case of your own country, little has been said by the organization.

I seem to remeber them being there to help load food onto the transports for Red Cross after 9/11, the Tsunami, even our 1998 flood....it never took this long for them to respond in such manner.

I said that because that seems to be something someone always says about a company of famous person who donates their time and/or money.

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Give It up! Your thread makes no sense.

The Saints are In town also...Don't you think the refugees would rather see the Saints visiting them then the Spurs?

Besides, the refugees are just getting accomodated. There Is no room In their schedule right now for celebrity appearances anyway. All they want right now, Is a well deserved hot bath, food, water, and a good night sleep...

So if a sports team whose player were not directly affected by the storm care enough to come by and show compassion would mean nothing?

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I said that because that seems to be something someone always says about a company of famous person who donates their time and/or money.

That always happens.

Even when PBS has there fundraiser you the names of what seems nearly evryone who donated from $5 on up to whatever.

IIn fact when I see stuff like

HEB donating something or Wal Mart donating 17mill...I think hey way to go. It also is great PR, makes feel good about shoping there because I know they are giving back in times of need like this.

thispego
09-03-2005, 09:05 PM
the spurs are toooo broinbg, if they were to go and talked to the displaced and homeless they would only upset them more and bring them down... the spurs are too boring for humanitarian work

cherylsteele
09-03-2005, 09:08 PM
the spurs are toooo broinbg, if they were to go and talked to the displaced and homeless they would only upset them more and bring them down... the spurs are too boring for humanitarian work

Sarcasm...I recognize that:D :lol

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Roll your eyes all you want. :rolleyes
Done and done.

Sense
09-03-2005, 09:14 PM
If I was a refugee from san Antonio and had to go to say LA....I would not mide getting to meet Kobe, or Phil, just to say I got too meet them and they were saddened by whatever I was there for, it would really help my morale

Would you care to meet Kobe, knowing that maybe some of your family members are dying, would you care to go see Kobe, knowing that you might've missed a chance to find a family member? I think they would rather recieve food, etc. By them rather than meeting them.

There could be crimminals everywhere. Besides they are checked for weapons before they go into the shelters.
There are criminals everywhere, that's a reason they don't go out as much in SA, or in any other city. The truth is they are celebrities, they have to be careful. And you can never be too sure about the shelter protection.

I am not talking about a speech like that. Why listen to politicans who are showing support when we could be looking for family.
What else do they do? Just look around? Half the people wouldn't recognize them.

How do you know that?
..... Look at their situation, try REALLY hard to be on that situation, I know it might not impossible to picture yourself there, you don't know what they are feeling. They wouldn't appreciate it now, maybe if they survive and become happy. Unfortunately some of them are fighting for their lives...

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 09:18 PM

Is this a serious post?

I could care less if I got to meet Kobe and/or Phil-- I would be too busy surving and looking for loved ones.

N.Y. Johnny
09-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Is this a serious post?

I could care less if I got to meet Kobe and/or Phil-- I would be too busy surving and looking for loved ones.

If i was a refugee i could fuckin care less about any sports figure, or that fact anyone who i would meet amidst the chaos anyone that would really move me would be Jesus Christ himself my lord, other than that i could care less i'd be striving for surviving' and keeping family close, and worrying about my own ass..

I wouldn't mind meeting Geraldo though, i could kick him in the balls because he needs it :smokin

Vashner
09-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Geraldo was just all over Sen Frist at the NO airport.. like hugging him and stuff...

Shelly
09-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Exactly. I couldn't care less about meeting a celebrity or sports figure now. I especially wouldn't care if I was a refugee.

And yeah, I think they'd be more interested in the Saints, who could probably relate more to their situation than the Spurs.

N.Y. Johnny
09-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Celebrities....ohh christ..

I'd hate to come across Paris Hilton or some other fuckface snooty bitch like that during like a hurricane..i'll fuckin toss her ass out into the street with the rest of the fuckin debris flyin around

spurschick
09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
This premise is ridiculous. I can't believe you are criticizing the Spurs for something like this. It's just stupid. Who the fuck cares which celebrities are coming out to help? Now is the time for human beings to do what they can to help one another. If a Spurs player wants to get involved, they can do it on their own because they care, not because they're a celebrity of some sort. Do you really think that these people who just went through hell could give a shit who is greeting them? Unbelievable.

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 11:53 PM
This premise is ridiculous. I can't believe you are criticizing the Spurs for something like this. It's just stupid. Who the fuck cares which celebrities are coming out to help? Now is the time for human beings to do what they can to help one another. If a Spurs player wants to get involved, they can do it on their own because they care, not because they're a celebrity of some sort. Do you really think that these people who just went through hell could give a shit who is greeting them? Unbelievable.

Alright, you go girl!