PDA

View Full Version : Is Baynes worth his money

Nero5
03-04-2015, 04:54 PM
There was quite a lot of bleating about Baynes' contract at the start of the year. Given his performances do people think he is worth the money and who does he compare to in $ and stats?

Malik Hairston
03-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Absolutely..his production as a 4th big has been really solid, and he's getting paid around 1.5 per, right?

Can't see any logical complaints from a value perspective, tbh..

Chinook
03-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Absolutely..his production as a 4th big has been really solid, and he's getting paid around 1.5 per, right?

$2.1 Million. It's not a matter of value for him as much as it's one of opportunity cost. Next season, Baynes at $3 Million (his QO) would probably be fine. But I dunno that I want the team using that cap space on him.

Malik Hairston
03-04-2015, 05:12 PM
$2.1 Million. It's not a matter of value for him as much as it's one of opportunity cost. Next season, Baynes at $3 Million (his QO) would probably be fine. But I dunno that I want the team using that cap space on him.

Ya, I meant strictly from a player value perspective, I'm not aware of the implications of his deal going forward..

I don't think any 4 big is worth missing an opportunity elsewhere, of course..

tholdren
03-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Yes. For 2 mil he's a steal. Think of it this way, tiago is making over 9 million. Tiago isn't better than Baynes by much, let alone 4x

FuzzyLumpkins
03-04-2015, 06:19 PM

His contract is efficient at his current production at either price point. You should feel less and think more.

Poolboy5623
03-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Imo the spurs are very lucky he signed the contract....had he not, who the hell would be getting his mins?! Bonner??

Malik Hairston
03-04-2015, 07:03 PM
His contract is efficient at his current production at either price point. You should feel less and think more.

I already said it was a good deal, you thirsty thot, tbh:lol..

look_at_g_shred
03-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Baynes playing like the second big of the team tbh

cjw
03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes. For 2 mil he's a steal. Think of it this way, tiago is making over 9 million. Tiago isn't better than Baynes by much, let alone 4x

The Spurs don't make the second round without Tiago last year.

The 9 additional home games basically paid for two years of Splitter's deal if you assume 18k people @ $100 per person x 9 games = $16.2 million.

KL2
03-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Definitely, knew he was capable of this all along, he still can get much better, I can see the potential and he'll be pretty good. I remember when people were saying Ayres=Baynes :lol

I'm mad they've wasted Baynes all these years, he should be much better than he currently is. By now that jumper would be on lock, he shouldn't be as lost as he is on both sides of the ball, Spurs should be running the P&R consistently with him, basically he'd be waaay better.

Another player development mistake by Pop, one of many.

K...
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM
It still amazes me that no one threw money at him. If for no other reason than to weaken the spurs

KL2
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM

The 9 additional home games basically paid for two years of Splitter's deal if you assume 18k people @ $100 per person x 9 games = $16.2 million.

I think he means currently. They're both pretty equal this year. Splitter is held back by his injury, he's shown a few flashes of returning though...

exstatic
03-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Splitter is 10X the defender that Baynes is. He's not really a shot blocker, but he is SO good with positioning and verticality, that he protect the rim without much shotblocking.

Nero5
03-04-2015, 09:14 PM
10x? Me thinks thou dost protest too much. 1.2-.14x yes, more -no.

spurraider21
03-04-2015, 09:14 PM
whether baynes got the minimum or 2.1 million had absolutely no impact for the spurs whatsoever. if they really wanted to save money, they should have done the obvious and waved Austin Daye way earlier before his salary was guaranteed

exstatic
03-04-2015, 09:22 PM
10x? Me thinks thou dost protest too much. 1.2-.14x yes, more -no.

I think you understate it. Baynes is making strides, but he'll never be able to guard the range of players that Splitter can, from a bull like Cousins to a finesse 4 like Dirk or LaMarcus. He doesn't have, and never will have the lateral quickness.

exstatic
03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
whether baynes got the minimum or 2.1 million had absolutely no impact for the spurs whatsoever. if they really wanted to save money, they should have done the obvious and waved Austin Daye way earlier before his salary was guaranteed

I think that was pretty much as close to a unanimous take as you'll ever see on this board.

downunder
03-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Baynes is worth far more because his job is simply to give Duncan a rest during the games and overall. Duncan has a high work ethic he pushes himself too much and Pop needs to say to him Baynes can hold the fort while you are off. And Baynes will only get better !!!

tholdren
03-04-2015, 09:27 PM

good try. They won the ring without Tiago.

spurraider21
03-04-2015, 09:42 PM
I think that was pretty much as close to a unanimous take as you'll ever see on this board.
not chinook :lol