PDA

View Full Version : Past 2 games is the best the Spurs have played all year.

midnightpulp
03-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Kawhi seems to finally be finding a bit of an offensive groove and has looked his strongest all year these past two games. Tiago is finding his own groove again, and him starting has been a boon to the overall rhythm of the starters. Kawhi finding his offense and Tiago starting has taken a lot of pressure off Duncan, allowing to him to play "within the flow of the game" rather than have to force it offensively and defensively. At this stage in his career, Duncan is most effective being a Rich Man's Blue Collar "role player," doing a bit of everything (liked his balanced line tonight). And when Parker is in All Star form, this team is near unbeatable.

I'm not holding my breath yet, given this team's struggles and inconsistency, but it's a huge step in the right direction. Two blowout wins in a row, keeping the opponent under 90 while scoring over 100.

Mugen
03-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Defense has been dominant as well. It's Sac & PHX but they were getting blown out by the Jazz just last week so I'll take it tbh.

DAF86
03-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Gun for that 3rd seed, tbh.

awktalk
03-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Where the fuck has OP been the past few months? Bandwagoning a 3 game streak now?

midnightpulp
03-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Defense has been dominant as well. It's Sac & PHX but they were getting blown out by the Jazz just last week so I'll take it tbh.

A healthy/motivated Tiago starting is a big improvement over Baynes.

Darius Bieber
03-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Really wanna see a real test with the games next week against the Cavs and Raptors.

Budkin
03-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Mid with the goods

RD2191
03-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Parker was okay, far from all star form. Most of his points came when the team had a double digit lead. Still nice to see him make some shots though.

SpursFan86
03-04-2015, 11:18 PM
I'm really glad Pop has reverted back to putting Splitter in the starting lineup. As much as I love Baynes and what he's done for us this year, him starting and getting more minutes than Tiago is a huge mistake.

I'm not going to get my hopes up yet either, but I do think these past 3 games will do wonders for us. I've thought confidence (or lack thereof) has been a big part of our struggles this year, and we've now won 3 straight games by an average margin of 20+ points. We have a pretty easy stretch coming up, so hopefully we can continue to build on that confidence and hit full stride going into the last stretch of the season + playoffs.

Malik Hairston
03-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Really wanna see a real test with the games next week against the Cavs and Raptors.

Raptors are shitty now, tbh..

Cavs should be a good test, though..nice to see the Spurs looking good , but it's against 2 awful teams, so it would be nice to see them show a pulse against decent competition..

Darius Bieber
03-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Raptors are shitty now, tbh..

Cavs should be a good test, though..nice to see the Spurs looking good , but it's against 2 awful teams, so it would be nice to see them show a pulse against decent competition..

Also got the Hawks coming up too

therealtruth
03-04-2015, 11:20 PM
A healthy/motivated Tiago starting is a big improvement over Baynes.

He's the defensive lynchpin.

exstatic
03-04-2015, 11:23 PM
:spam:

spursparker9
03-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Got to play against a quality team first

EVAY
03-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Kawhi seems to finally be finding a bit of an offensive groove and has looked his strongest all year these past two games. Tiago is finding his own groove again, and him starting has been a boon to the overall rhythm of the starters. Kawhi finding his offense and Tiago starting has taken a lot of pressure off Duncan, allowing to him to play "within the flow of the game" rather than have to force it offensively and defensively. At this stage in his career, Duncan is most effective being a Rich Man's Blue Collar "role player," doing a bit of everything (liked his balanced line tonight). And when Parker is in All Star form, this team is near unbeatable.

I'm not holding my breath yet, given this team's struggles and inconsistency, but it's a huge step in the right direction. Two blowout wins in a row, keeping the opponent under 90 while scoring over 100.

Very good observations altogether. Thx. Especially the role of Tiago in our offensive flow. Really really true.

Horse
03-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Quality team or not they finally look like our Spurs. And Tony found his floater that's huge.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-05-2015, 12:44 AM
It seems like getting a streak of wins, even against bad teams, builds confidence and improves the team a lot

100%duncan
03-05-2015, 12:53 AM
Biggest bright side is Tiago finally coming back from the dead. It's amazing how much of a difference his defense brings to us.

T Park
03-05-2015, 01:05 AM
It's like their what, 12th game together as a 100% healthy unit? My biggest take away was Patty Mills not hesitating and firing on his threes. Also making some as well.

When Tiago and Kawhi are playing well and on the floor this is the best defensive team in the leagues bar none.

Cry Havoc
03-05-2015, 02:08 AM
If Kawhi is playing in control, and our 3 point shooters are hitting, this team is still the team to beat in the NBA. Period.

No one has a higher gear than the Spurs when they're clicking. -Dee Jay Khaled

Sean Cagney
03-05-2015, 02:34 AM
Quality team or not they finally look like our Spurs. And Tony found his floater that's huge.

That is true.
Biggest bright side is Tiago finally coming back from the dead. It's amazing how much of a difference his defense brings to us.

YES, farrrrrrrrr cry from Bonner or Baynes starting to THANK GOD.

Arcadian
03-05-2015, 03:43 AM
A 2-game sample is insufficient to conclude anything. It could just be a random spike in performance. Let's wait a little longer than two games before we start getting optimistic, :lol.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-05-2015, 08:02 AM
The Spurs are playing like they did this time last year is because they are finally healthy. They only had the whole roster back a couple of games before the all-star break. Pop has gone back to the same rotation from last year's playoff run and the team is finally gelling again.

Just last week, there were many on here that said the Spurs couldn't turn it around in two months, especially after everyone outside of Duncan has been pretty much been coasting this whole year. The Spurs have a very easy stretch up ahead to right the ship and it looks like their doing just that.

pgardn
03-05-2015, 08:17 AM
I vote the first game against Golden State.

The help on D and some quickness seem to be back.
Im not sold yet on how long this continues.
We gotta have Manu, Tony, and Leonard all playing well at the same time to beat better teams.

Capt Bringdown
03-05-2015, 08:48 AM
A step in the right direction. Mills is still MIA, however. His bricks are getting very tedious.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-05-2015, 09:03 AM
A step in the right direction. Mills is still MIA, however. His bricks are getting very tedious.

What people fail to realize about his surgery, it take 6 month's to fully heal, but it take another 3-6 months for all the scar tissue and such to dissipate. Pretty much any repair of any major tendon takes about 9-12 months for a player to get back to 100%. I expect him to be 100% by the time the playoffs roll around.

Uriel
03-05-2015, 09:27 AM
A 2-game sample is insufficient to conclude anything. It could just be a random spike in performance. Let's wait a little longer than two games before we start getting optimistic, :lol.
While I generally agree with this sentiment, the fact that we won each game by 27 offsets that narrative somewhat. Teams don't lead by 30+ two games in a row unless it points to a broader trend (especially when they have a history of obliterating their opponents).

Sigz
03-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Wow we beat the Queens big whoop.

Chomag
03-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Beating up on nba fodder is not a feat and i dont think its much of a measuring stick but it does help with confidence, moral going up for this team is a step in the right direction.

Wildcat67
03-05-2015, 10:24 AM

I don't know where this overreacting to Kawhi's recent play has come from. But he has been playing great all year EXCEPT for about 5-6 games. The bad play is the aberration not the good play. The recent good play has more to do with better defense and ball movement. But Kawhi has sparked the defense lately by being absolutely dominant.

DMC
03-05-2015, 10:59 AM
The Spurs didn't play that well. They turned the ball over on many consecutive possessions, fucked up fast breaks, you name it. The Kings just sucked ass. Danny Green's defense was great, same with Leonard, but the Spurs have played much better and should have been up by 30 at the break.

xellos88330
03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't get why people are saying that the teams the Spurs blew out were just fodder. The Spurs had been struggling with that fodder all year long.

Cry Havoc
03-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Even a crack in the door is 1000% more light than a closed door. I'll take it at this point.

Cry Havoc
03-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't get why people are saying that the teams the Spurs blew out were just fodder. The Spurs had been struggling with that fodder all year long.

And the Kings have played very well, they're not a talentless void like the Lakers.

Also, the Spurs had trouble beating great teams last year during the regular season, and we all saw how much that mattered in the playoffs.

03-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Spurs back to blowing out teams they're supposed to blow out. That's a good step in the right direction. Hopefully the Spurs can regain their confidence and energy against good teams too.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-05-2015, 12:46 PM
The wins are nice but we need to see this team show up against the better playoff teams.

Step in the direction for sure, especially compared to what we've been seeing over the past month.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-05-2015, 01:32 PM

Three game sample. This streak began in Sacramento and that's where they started to put things together. It still is a small sample but no one can deny they are getting healthier and playing better, which is a great, great start.

Harry Callahan
03-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I watched Game 1 of the 2014 Finals this morning - I had not seen it in awhile.

Splitter was one of the best players on the floor for long stretches of the game with his defense and around the basket offense. We need that guy to come to the forefront now.

Parker was also getting to the rim as well with regularity, although he had a few shooting problems in stretches in game one.

Kawhi was not super in game 1 against Miami.

The reason I mention this is that last year the Spurs were not as perfect as we thought them to be even late in the season.

IF the bulk of the roster continues to get healthier, move the ball, and minimize turnovers, the results will improve greatly this last six weeks of the season.

Maybe they can get hot and move up in the WC standings to 4 or even 3 with a strong finish. They might have a shot of making a lot of noise in the POs with stronger play from these three key guys.

I did not see the sad Sac game, but the highlights on Fox SW looked encouraging.

Hoops Czar
03-05-2015, 04:06 PM

It was actually Sacramento, Phoenix and Sacramento. That's nothing to get too excited about. It's not that they played much better, the level of competition stunk. You can't even gauge the team's performance until they start to duplicate it against better opponents.

ViceCity86
03-05-2015, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Harry Callahan;7858211]I watched Game 1 of the 2014 Finals this morning - I had not seen it in awhile.

I too watched Game 1 of the Nba Finals this morning .Crazy coincidence.I watched it on vhs tape.The last 7 minutes were magnificent,starting with back to back 3s by Danny Green and the flush by Green.That 4th quarter and games 3-5.We'll never see Spurs play better basketball.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
I actually watched game 3 instead. They didn't play great until the last 8th of game 1.

SASdynasty!
03-05-2015, 10:09 PM
I watched Game 1 of the 2014 Finals this morning - I had not seen it in awhile.
The reason I mention this is that last year the Spurs were not as perfect as we thought them to be even late in the season.

IF the bulk of the roster continues to get healthier, move the ball, and minimize turnovers, the results were improve greatly this last six weeks of the season.

For sure...game 1 took a big run in the 4th to get the win...after that Bosh 3 point and-1 it looked bleak. Then we go out and lose game 2. We basically played flawless basketball games 3-5.

Harry Callahan
03-06-2015, 09:30 AM
For sure...game 1 took a big run in the 4th to get the win...after that Bosh 3 point and-1 it looked bleak. Then we go out and lose game 2. We basically played flawless basketball games 3-5.

The Heat were a terrific team, and the Spurs just about maxed out the vast majority of the series. I still think the Spurs have a shot to kick butt on the playoffs. They have to be clicking by Mid-April.

I like their chances better than most of the teams in front of them, especially Memphis, Dallas, Portland (especially after losing Wesley Matthews for the season), and the Clippers. I'm not sure Golden State can take care of OKC if it comes to that. I believe they will wilt under the pressure of high expectations. Houston is very talented, but has some knucklehead players and a less than outstanding coach.

will_spurs
03-07-2015, 07:09 AM
It's like their what, 12th game together as a 100% healthy unit?

It's actually their 4th straight game (and 8th total) with the regular starting line-up: Tim, Kawhi, Tony, Tiago and Danny.

Coincidentally (or not...), it was also the Spurs 4th straight win.

The Spurs have had a tough season so far, with a lot of injuries, which meant they never managed to get in a flow. There's still time...

T Park
03-07-2015, 05:05 PM
It's actually their 4th straight game (and 8th total) with the regular starting line-up: Tim, Kawhi, Tony, Tiago and Danny.

Coincidentally (or not...), it was also the Spurs 4th straight win.

The Spurs have had a tough season so far, with a lot of injuries, which meant they never managed to get in a flow. There's still time...

8 games. Or in other words, team wise they're in late November.