PDA

View Full Version : Jazz: Is Dante Exum a bust?

Werdsniper2
03-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Before I begin, let me say - I know it's very, very early in his career. I fully understand that. However, one cannot ignore such putrid stats.

I cannot believe how unbelievably unproductive he has been in his rookie season. He has been highly unimpressive to say the least.

I haven't watched the Jazz much, so I cannot say for sure that he has not progressed throughout the season...but his presence is invisible.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3102528/dante-exum

He is playing over 20 MPG and scoring less than 5 points per on 34% shooting. His assist levels are horrendous. He has TAKEN 29 TOTAL FREE THROWS IN 60 GAMES PLAYED.

According to ESPN, his PER is 6.21 - an absolutely horrifying number. Lack of aggression seems to be the biggest issue, followed closely by lack of confidence.

I know it's early, but still...Mr. Exum is putting on an incredibly lackluster performance. I cannot remember the last time such a high lottery pick performed so poorly with big minutes.

Mal
03-05-2015, 05:51 AM
He`s like 18yrs old and very thin. It`s too easy to say wheter he`s a bust or not

RsxPiimp
03-05-2015, 10:02 AM
His level of competition last summer were High School kids in Australia. Everyone knew he's going to be a 3 year project. Good thing for Exum though, the Jazz isn't particularly stacked with prospects at the guard spot so he should get plenty of chance next year.

DMC
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
There are several guys in the league that weren't world beaters in their 1st season. Not everyone is Lebron James. You don't need everyone to be.

Fabbs
03-05-2015, 10:57 AM
There are several guys in the league that weren't world beaters in their 1st season. Not everyone is Lebron James. You don't need everyone to be.
OP was not talking about being world beaters.
Could you give us some examples of players who had a suck level that of Exum their 1st year and went on to become?........

I agree it's just his 1st year and doesn't doom him. But would like to see whom has sucked like he has and gone on to excell.
Of course we know he is going to team with Kirby to form a dynamo Laker playoff team.

BatManu20
03-05-2015, 10:58 AM
He's 19 playing against grown men.. He'll be fine.

DMC
03-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Could you give us some examples of players who had a suck level that of Exum their 1st year and went on to become?........

I agree it's just his 1st year and doesn't doom him. But would like to see whom has sucked like he has and gone on to excell.
Of course we know he is going to team with Kirby to form a dynamo Laker playoff team.

Tony Parker didn't wow anyone in his 1st season. Scottie Pippen wasn't that great in his rookie year. Kobe's rookie year wasn't impressive either. There are others like Payton but I don't recall the stats, just that they weren't that good.

They'll work with him, he needs to improve in a lot of areas but obviously someone thought it could.

Fabbs
03-05-2015, 11:18 AM
didn't wow...... wasn't that great.....wasn't impressive either. others weren't that good.

The Q was has anyone sucked as bad as Exum and gone on to do very well? Or even ok?

The ones you quoted all had far better rookie seasons then Exum.

Raven
03-05-2015, 11:25 AM
he seems a far better prospect than burke to me. Like far far.

DMC
03-05-2015, 11:29 AM
The Q was has anyone sucked as bad as Exum and gone on to do very well? Or even ok?

The ones you quoted all had far better rookie seasons then Exum.

"sucked as bad" is an objective statement. Ask it like an adult and you'll get a more acceptable answer.

Fabbs
03-05-2015, 11:34 AM
"sucked as bad" is an objective statement. Ask it like an adult and you'll get a more acceptable answer.
You don't know. :lol

DMC
03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
You don't know. :lol

The question is "is he a bust?"

How can you know if he's a bust in his rookie season? Now run along and post a nose picking picture of Ralphie, and fuck your whale GF.

Leetonidas
03-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Tony Parker didn't wow anyone in his 1st season. Scottie Pippen wasn't that great in his rookie year. Kobe's rookie year wasn't impressive either. There are others like Payton but I don't recall the stats, just that they weren't that good.

They'll work with him, he needs to improve in a lot of areas but obviously someone thought it could.

Good points but they also didn't have atrocious Austin Rivers-esque rookie seasons on shit teams where they should've had freedom to play tbh

Fabbs
03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
The question is "is he a bust?"

How can you know if he's a bust in his rookie season?
Thought police dumbf. The OP can ask what he wants without your meddling.
Go make up another profile and amass more *hits*.

jeebus
03-05-2015, 12:02 PM
He sucked in the world's, he sucked in the summer league, he sucked in the preseason, he sucks in the regular season.

DMC
03-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Thought police dumbf. The OP can ask what he wants without your meddling.
Go make up another profile and amass more *hits*.

Fabbs

Red Hawk #21
03-05-2015, 02:22 PM

Tony Parker Rookie season - 9.2 ppg, 4.3 ast, 2.6 rpg, 41% FG, 32% from 3
Scottie Pippen Rookie season - 7.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.1 ast, 46% FG
Kobe Bryant Rookie season - 7.6 ppg, 1.9 reb, 1.3 ast, 41% FG, 37% from 3
Gary Payton Rookie season - 7.2 ppg, 6.4 ast, 3.0 reb, 45% FG.

Dante Exum Rookie season - 4.5ppg, 2.3 ast, 34% FG, 30% from 3
None of those guys had great rookie seasons but their rookie seasons were still better than Exum's current season. Why not check the stats before talking your bullshit?

DMC
03-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Tony Parker Rookie season - 9.2 ppg, 4.3 ast, 2.6 rpg, 41% FG, 32% from 3
Scottie Pippen Rookie season - 7.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.1 ast, 46% FG
Kobe Bryant Rookie season - 7.6 ppg, 1.9 reb, 1.3 ast, 41% FG, 37% from 3
Gary Payton Rookie season - 7.2 ppg, 6.4 ast, 3.0 reb, 45% FG.

Dante Exum Rookie season - 4.5ppg, 2.3 ast, 34% FG, 30% from 3
None of those guys had great rookie seasons but their rookie seasons were still better than Exum's current season. Why not check the stats before talking your bullshit?

Show minutes per game. Exum shot 41% from 2 but only takes about 5 shots a game, and mostly from 3. He needs a shooting coach.

Red Hawk #21
03-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Pippen - 20mpg
Parker - 29mpg
Kobe - 15mpg
Payton - 27mpg

Exum - 20mpg

DMC
03-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Pippen - 20mpg
Parker - 29mpg
Kobe - 15mpg
Payton - 27mpg

Exum - 20mpg

So do the points per minute.

The kid doesn't belong in the starting line up, but that's the coach's fault for moving Burke to the bench. Exum probably hit the rookie wall late last year tbh. He's had a few good games, but he's being asked to do a lot late in the season and has a shitty coach who doesn't understand team dynamics. They could also be tanking.

Either way, if you look at the career stats for the guys I listed you'll see that their rookie year was a slow start, and that's especially true for guys who don't always have the ball in their hands or who get reduced minutes (like Kobe had in his rookie season, coming off the bench... which Exum did until late January). So you need more than a rookie season, even a really bad one, to know how a prospect is going to pan out. I even think Anthony Bennett is a better player than he's been showing so far, he just doesn't have the coach or trainers to tap into it.

The reverse is also true: A player with crazy numbers in his rookie season isn't necessarily going to blow up the league. Just see DeJuan Blair as an example.

Red Hawk #21
03-05-2015, 03:40 PM
So do the points per minute.

The kid doesn't belong in the starting line up, but that's the coach's fault for moving Burke to the bench. Exum probably hit the rookie wall late last year tbh. He's had a few good games, but he's being asked to do a lot late in the season and has a shitty coach who doesn't understand team dynamics. They could also be tanking.

Either way, if you look at the career stats for the guys I listed you'll see that their rookie year was a slow start, and that's especially true for guys who don't always have the ball in their hands or who get reduced minutes (like Kobe had in his rookie season, coming off the bench... which Exum did until late January). So you need more than a rookie season, even a really bad one, to know how a prospect is going to pan out. I even think Anthony Bennett is a better player than he's been showing so far, he just doesn't have the coach or trainers to tap into it.

The reverse is also true: A player with crazy numbers in his rookie season isn't necessarily going to blow up the league. Just see DeJuan Blair as an example.

Good points tbh, I def don't think he's a bust. Its just that the guys you listed all had better rookie seasons than him. It still doesn't mean he can't become a really productive player in the near future.

~O~
03-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Elfird Payton! Rob Hennigan is the man.:whine

spurraider21
03-05-2015, 05:40 PM
did you really need an alt to post this thread :lol

Spurs9
03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Thats for sure tbh they have more sense than whoring themselves out crossdressing

http://cdn.slamonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/flobron.jpg