View Full Version : Rehnquist is dead

Trainwreck2100
09-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Died earlier today in Arlington
Per: Fox news
Sorry if this was posted already.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Hmmm....Pat Robertson's prayers were answered....

Vashner
09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Rip

Jelly
09-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Man. Heavy news week, huh? I don't think Cindy Sheehan will ever see her name in print again.

Vashner
09-03-2005, 10:22 PM
... My pic... is...

Thomas as Chief Justice..
http://web.utk.edu/~scheb/thomas.jpg

FromWayDowntown
09-03-2005, 10:24 PM
He tried so hard to hang on, so that he could serve with Roberts, his former law clerk, among other things. I disagree with the positions that Chief Justice Rehnquist took on a great number of issues, but I respect the hell out of who he was and the earnestness of his positions. It will take a lot to replace Chief Justice Rehnquist.

Marcus Bryant
09-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Dammit. Football.

Vashner
09-03-2005, 10:25 PM
He used to be my boss.. well not directly of course (I am disablity retired from the Federal Judiciary).

09-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Vashner, I'm unfamilar with your story. What happened to you?

Vashner
09-03-2005, 10:29 PM
3 different spinal diseases.. it's a long story. No I am not mental :)

09-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I was just curious if it happened on the job. Spinal? Are you former military? Regardless. God speed.

Vashner
09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Enough talk about my worthless ass..

Let's talk Rehnquist!

Bush get's a promotion and a new Justice

Trainwreck2100
09-03-2005, 10:41 PM
The ONE time I decide to watch hurricane coverage.

Jelly
09-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Now, THAT is what a supreme court justice is supposed to do. Hang on until the very end. Hold on to that gavel til they pry it out of your cold dead hand. It's a life time commitment.

Sandra O'Connor take note. We hired you for life, not until you decided to spend more time with your family. Women. :rolleyes

T Park
09-04-2005, 12:08 AM
when asked whether he would retired, Judge Rehnquist replied, "Thats for me to know and you to find out" hahaha

A great man MR Rehnquist, he was what a Supreme Court justice should be!

I pick Antonin Scalia (sp) for the Chief Justice.

Either him or Clarence Thomas.

jochhejaam
09-04-2005, 06:42 AM
The gravity of his condition was concealed from the news mediums. There has been nothing in our newspaper about him being terminal. RIP and prayers for his family.

FromWayDowntown
09-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I'd be shocked if Bush elevated the next Chief from within. If he elevated Scalia or Thomas, the confirmation battle would be the bloodiest battle ever. It would ensure a filibuster. I also hear that those in the know don't think the members of Court want Scalia to be Chief. because a Chief Justice has to be something of a politician and at least willing to pretend to consider what the other side says in an argument. Scalia idoesn't seem to appreciate the fact that there are many who honestly disagree with him for reasons that are supported by both the law and by logic.

I suspect that the appointed Chief will be from outside the Court, and will likely be a conservative woman. Edith Jones (5th Circuit) or Janice Rogers Brown (D.C. Circuit) would be my early money favorites.

Phil E.Buster
09-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Looks like I'm going to be very busy if Bush tries to stack the Court.

jochhejaam
09-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I suspect that the appointed Chief will be from outside the Court, and will likely be a conservative woman. Edith Jones (5th Circuit) or Janice Rogers Brown (D.C. Circuit) would be my early money favorites.

Throw my money behind Ms. Brown as his nominee to replace Rehnquist. Not sure about his Chief Justice appointee. Scalia would be my choice.

FromWayDowntown
09-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Bush has to know, politically, that he cannot possibly get Scalia confirmed as the Chief Justice. It would be a bloodbath, and Scalia will not, under any circumstances, be confirmed as the next Chief. And again, those who watch the Court closely don't think that the Justices want Scalia to be the Chief.

There's much more precedent for appointing a Chief from outside than there is for elevating a justice to Chief. Rehnquist was an exception to the rule and got that appointment pretty much because the Reagan Administration desperately wanted Scalia confirmed, so they threw Rehniquist's elevation on the Senate at the same time they put Scalia out there. The Senate spent a great deal of time working over Rehnquist and Scalia flew under the radar, for the most part.

What I heard this morning, and what actually makes a lot of sense now, is that Bush will formally withdraw the nomination of John Roberts as an associate justice and will then nominate Roberts as the Chief Justice. He'll then nominate one of the women to the seat the Justice O'Connor vacated. Politically, Bush appoints a guy who is more-or-less seen as an acceptable nominee already to be the Chief. Roberts is a fairly young nominee, so Bush would have a long legacy with a Chief AND will replace a woman with another woman (and, possibly, an African-American woman).

NameDropper
09-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Rumor has it that Bush will pick John Roberts to be chief justice, replacing Rehnquist.

jochhejaam
09-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Rumor has it that Bush will pick John Roberts to be chief justice, replacing Rehnquist.

Rumor is now fact.

Bush Nominates Roberts as Chief Justice

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168488,00.html

FromWayDowntown
09-05-2005, 11:12 AM
What I heard this morning, and what actually makes a lot of sense now, is that Bush will formally withdraw the nomination of John Roberts as an associate justice and will then nominate Roberts as the Chief Justice.

Where's that back-slapper? I had it yesterday!