PDA

View Full Version : The nation of Qatar has offered $100 million.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 01:54 AM
(CNN) -- The oil-rich nation of Qatar has offered the United States $100 million to assist in the humanitarian crisis triggered by Hurricane Katrina.

The state-run Qatar News Agency said Saturday that Qatar's emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, decided to contribute that amount for relief "and humanitarian supplies for the victims of this disaster."

The U.S. government has received offers of support from dozens of nations across the globe.

As of Friday, the White House had not accepted any offers, but Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the State Department was "working very closely with the Department of Homeland Security to match up what is available with what is needed."

There was no immediate word whether the United States would take Qatar up on its offer.

Other offers of aid and assistance have come in from countries around the world -- including from India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia, the four countries hardest-hit by the December 26 Asian tsunami.

------------------------------------------------------------

Why in fucks sake have they not accepted any offers?

Spurbanana
09-04-2005, 01:58 AM
They probably think the money will turn into weapons of mass destruction..since people trying to help us are TOTALLY trying to kill us...

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 02:00 AM
You don't know what kind of "favors" are attached to those offers. I dont' either.

Time will tell.

timvp
09-04-2005, 02:02 AM
I wouldn't accept it. The US has plenty of money to cover what has happened. And truth be told $100 million will be a drop in the bucket when everything is said and done.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 02:04 AM
I wouldn't accept it. The US has plenty of money to cover what has happened. And truth be told $100 million will be a drop in the bucket when everything is said and done.

So if Bill Gates donated 100 million to the Red Cross, you'd turn him away? What's the difference?

timvp
09-04-2005, 02:08 AM
So if Bill Gates donated 100 million to the Red Cross, you'd turn him away? What's the difference?

The difference is that when a country does it, there are always strings attached. Always.

Nothing "official", but you don't want to be getting involved in anything like that over so little money.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Quatar can make the donation directly to the Red Cross, but htey are going through governemtn channels to get something. LJ is absolutely right.

timvp
09-04-2005, 02:10 AM
True. If they donate it straight to Red Cross, then yeah let them do it. Other than that, you start dealing with things you don't want to deal with.

boutons
09-04-2005, 03:29 AM
Muslims probably don't like giving to the Red Cross, but if the Red Crescent is helping in the Katrina disaster.... :)

Trainwreck2100
09-04-2005, 03:30 AM
We'll spend 300 mil in gasoline when this is over anyway.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2005, 03:38 AM
We'll spend 300 mil in gasoline when this is over anyway. Qater probably doesn't care about that considering they don't have much oil.

Nbadan
09-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Freaking I say take the money. What kind of strings can be attached? They wont except our billions in foreign aid from now on? We won't come to their rescue if they're invaded by the U.A.E? We won't look the other way while the rich Oligarchy lives off the labor and wealth of its people?

Take the money and consider it a tax refund to the people affected by Katina.

MannyIsGod
09-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Nevermind, I guess Qatar does have a decent amount of oil.

whottt
09-04-2005, 04:09 AM
Qatar is a Saudi Style country ruled by a Monarchy...the difference is that their population is less than a million people and they are all extremely wealthy.

The US military operations that were once based in Saudi Arabia have been almost totally moved to Qatar and the Qatarians want the US military there becaue they are a tiny country.

There is not rampant anti-Americanism there because their population is virtually poverty free and everyone enjoys a high standard of living, so their government has had to turn brutal to stay in power and their Monarchy hasn't had to go to the blame America card yet to excuse their inability to Govern and support a large population.

PM5K
09-04-2005, 04:09 AM
It's nice that what goes around comes around with the tsunami.

angel_luv
09-04-2005, 09:38 AM
It is sad that the world is in such a pathetic condition that our country can't accept help out of fear over future repercussions.

Clandestino
09-04-2005, 09:42 AM
imagine what the lefties will say if we accept 100 million.. qatar bought the u.s., etc...

NameDropper
09-04-2005, 09:45 AM
I've heard the righties think the US is too good to accept financial aid from another country which makes no sense to me since we all know politicians are bought everyday.

Useruser666
09-04-2005, 09:47 AM
I say we Duff them!!!! :lol

batman2883
09-04-2005, 09:47 AM
They probably think the money will turn into weapons of mass destruction..since people trying to help us are TOTALLY trying to kill us...

Is that Josh Groban?

ObiwanGinobili
09-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Russia offered helicopters and rescue teams since wendsday I believe... we havn't decided weather or not to accept that offer either. WTF? we are retarded.
If russia had called me I would've given the go ahead. I'm gonna give them my # so that next tiem we can avoid all this buracacy.

batman2883
09-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Obiwan i thought everyone had your number already....ohhhhh j/k dear

ChumpDumper
09-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Qatar offered the US 4 times as much to upgrade the the US Al Udeid air base there before the Iraq invasion. This isn't a whole lot to them and we can't give them any more protection than we already do now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Actually they said today on the news that Qatar was offering 100 million in *supplies*, not money.

As in physically sending supplies from their country to ours. The reason we haven't accepted yet is the logistics of getting those supplies to a staging point that they can distribute to the appropriate area.

ChumpDumper
09-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Er, we have a huge air base there -- last I checked, it had a capacity of 10,000 troops which might be even larger now. If they have the ability to supply that level, they can start moving stuff out as well.

Vashner
09-04-2005, 12:59 PM
We got hungry people stfu and take the money.

JsnSA
09-04-2005, 02:09 PM
We have the resources to take care of this on our own. These are token gestures mostly..showing their concern for us.

Its like David Robinson losing a sponsorship contract....and some of us send a few bucks his way so he can feed his family. Well Big Dave can feed his family regardless....and so can the USA (when it wants to).

There are a lot of other countries with issues that dont have those means that we do.

We should have our administration announce that we appreciate the offers of help...but in lieu of aid to us we would prefer that they make a donation to some other issue going on in countries that dont have our resources.

ShoogarBear
09-04-2005, 02:33 PM
We should have our administration announce that we appreciate the offers of help...but in lieu of aid to us we would prefer that they make a donation to some other issue going on in countries that dont have our resources.
:tu

Vashner
09-04-2005, 02:52 PM
You guys are nuts.. it's all taxpayer money.. you need to spend it. And if 100 million free from anothre country.. take the money.

This is stupid thread.. if I go to Kelly and ask the refugees if they thing Qatar should give the money and then show them your pitiful responses ....

What would they say? Money yes / no

JsnSA
09-04-2005, 05:42 PM
You guys are nuts.. it's all taxpayer money.. you need to spend it. And if 100 million free from anothre country.. take the money.

This is stupid thread.. if I go to Kelly and ask the refugees if they thing Qatar should give the money and then show them your pitiful responses ....

What would they say? Money yes / no

Your fucking greedy.

Our country has the resources to take care of the Katrina Refugees.

The money offered from other countries is better spent elsewhere.

Our governement just authorized a 10.5 BILLION dollar aid package....the first of many to come from out government.

The money offered from other countries amounts to nothing compared to what we are going to spend...so why should WE...the RICHEST FUCKING NATION IN THE WORLD be taking money from them????? It just makes us look pathetic to take that when we dont really need it.

There are other countries out there that need that money a hell of a lot more than we do.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 06:54 PM
If Qatar is offering 100 million stipulation free, you fucking take it. No question.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 08:11 PM
If Qatar is offering 100 million stipulation free, you fucking take it. No question.

1. By offering it to the government instead of Red Cross, you know there's stipulations.

2. They are offering supplies, not money. Logistical nightmare from halfway around the world.

SpursWoman
09-04-2005, 08:13 PM
2. They are offering supplies, not money. Logistical nightmare from halfway around the world.

If they are covering S&H, I'd say bring it on and let them handle it. :)

Toot My Van Cuban
09-04-2005, 08:26 PM

It would still be one drop less to pour in.

Spurbanana
09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Is that Josh Groban?

yeahhhhh it is :D

Tek_XX
09-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Why would ya'll assume there are stipulations? 100 million is a drop in the bucket to both us and them. This is just more we'll scratch your back when you need it, and you'll scratch ours. God knows we probably paid for this money by driving our cars.

ChumpDumper
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
1. By offering it to the government instead of Red Cross, you know there's stipulations.What stipulations? That we let them pay to expand our airbase again? Give me an example of what our closest arab ally in the middle east would ask of us.
2. They are offering supplies, not money. Logistical nightmare from halfway around the world.You mean like the logistical "nightmare" of supplying all the troops there now and points served by the base in Qatar? Just fill those planes and ships for the return trip.

And who says all the supplies are there now anyway?