PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades tbh

100%duncan
03-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Status of the team

In the middle of a 4game winning streak in a 6 game homestand, the Spurs looked good going into this game. Now granted the Bulls was missing 3 key players, and that the winning streak is composed of bad teams I don't think it's any sign of false hope or fool's gold. This team, when on is on. It's just a matter of getting there, and this current streak is more than a step towards the right direction. We saw how in their best form, it doesn't matter who they face, if they win it's because of them(2014), if they lose basically it's because of themselves also (2013).

Now back to the game:

Tim Duncan: C-
Although getting a decent +/- of +7, Timmy looked more of a liability this game. He was slow on defense except for some instances where he challenged the drives well, he was trying to force up shots in the low-post and in the mid-range which gave us a bad start in the 3rd. Overall, this wasn't just the game for Tim. Also first time in his career without getting a FG, yikes.

Kawhi Leonard:B+
I would've given Kawhi an A but there were around 2-3 times where he could've gone for the drive when he was up against a big but instead chose to shoot 3's which resulted in 0-4 from downtown. But in every other aspect, Kawhi shined. Giving us 20 pts 8 rebs, 3 steals that all lead to fastbreaks and most importantly the constant pressure he throws at the opponent and the energy that he brings to the team. As the season goes by, Kawhi keeps on improving and solidifying his spot as the team's best player.

Tony Parker:B+
Same for Kawhi, I would've given Tony an A but because of one aspect of the game, I chose not to. TP played poorly at the defensive end, started with Brooks and then Brooks went off thus forcing Pop to put danny on him. And then on the third before his amazing 15 pts straight, he was also getting burned in defense. But other than that, Tony was perfect in this game. Like I said, the highlight was that 3rd quarter of his, carrying the offense when no one could hit anything. Also hitting key shots in the 4th that finally put the game to rest. What I also liked was that Tony was showing signs of being able to drive at will to the paint. When he does that instead of chucking up inefficient long 2s then we're going to have a good night. 32 pts on 13-19? Not bad at all.

Manu Ginobili:B+
Manu was the 6th man Manu that he was like last season. When he came in the offense just looked better 16 points (+14), but not only that, he tied Kawhi with the most steals in the game in 3. It's impossible to put into words the impact that this guy brings, from orchestrating the 2nd unit's offense, getting steals, and just being pesky overall, all that in just 25 minutes of play.

Tiago Splitter:B
It was a weird game for Tiago, he played well on defense, played ok in offense but only got 22 mins of play. The bright side is he's continuing on being his old self, like many of us have said many times before, Tiago makes or breaks our defense. It's in him whether our D is elite and when he is off, then it's a free 2pts every time for the penetration.

Boris Diaw:C
Boris made the most out of his 5 minutes of playing time with his excellent passing and vision. Unfortunately, after he fouled twice in like 1 min in the first quarter, he was put in Pop's doghouse for the rest of the game.

Danny Green:B+

The other half of wingstop. 2 steals, 3/6 from 3's, 50% from the field, 11 points. I'm so glad Danny got out of his slump already. Just his defense alone brings so much value to the team but if you add his great 3pt shooting on top of that, then things will open up so much for the other guys. And besides, Danny is a player that plays up to his confidence, so shooting nights like this will only help our cause.

Patty Mills:A

The only A for the game. Patty was amazing in only 16 mins of play, he managed to score 15 pts shooting 6/9 from the field and 75% from 3. He was the usual spark-plug, energy guy that the opposing team always hates. And he hit that big 3 in the 4th which imho, was the "GTFO" sign to the Bulls.

Marco Belinelli:C

Marco didn't really give anything of significance despite having relatively a lot of minutes compared to the other guys who made more impact. Got lost on D even against that scrub rookie mcdermott, and only converted 1 out of 3 3ptrs.

Bonner, Cojo,Ayres: INC

They didn't matter. Although Bonner played significant minutes(in the 1st to 2nd quarter) he didn't do anything that helped us. Seriously, the dude is so bad right now. I feel bad for Cojo, he's a great guy and a decent PG but when Tp and Patty play like that there's no place for him. And UH HUH!

Pop:B

I like how Pop managed the minutes only Kawhi had high mins with 39 but let's face it, he needs that, he's only 23. Besides some shitty line-ups that he was either forced to or was just fucking around with, he had a stable game overall.

Spurs looking good, Raptors and Cleveland would be good games to test our strength against the East's good teams. And oh, we're the 6th seed now. Coming for that ass tbh. :tu

Strategic
03-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Nice thoughts. Fortunately for the good guys TP isn't heavily relied on for defense. Many good signs. Go Spurs Go!!!

Silver&Black
03-08-2015, 10:39 PM
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/saki/snowish/128/Arrow-up-icon.pngASCENDING: Spurs

Plum Island
03-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Status of the team

In the middle of a 4game winning streak in a 6 game homestand, the Spurs looked good going into this game. Now granted the Bulls was missing 3 key players, and that the winning streak is composed of bad teams I don't think it's any sign of false hope or fool's gold. This team, when on is on. It's just a matter of getting there, and this current streak is more than a step towards the right direction. We saw how in their best form, it doesn't matter who they face, if they win it's because of them(2014), if they lose basically it's because of themselves also (2013).

Now back to the game:

Although getting a decent +/- of +7, Timmy looked more of a liability this game. He was slow on defense except for some instances where he challenged the drives well, he was trying to force up shots in the low-post and in the mid-range which gave us a bad start in the 3rd. Overall, this wasn't just the game for Tim. Also first time in his career without getting a FG, yikes.

I would've given Kawhi an A but there were around 2-3 times where he could've gone for the drive when he was up against a big but instead chose to shoot 3's which resulted in 0-4 from downtown. But in every other aspect, Kawhi shined. Giving us 20 pts 8 rebs, 3 steals that all lead to fastbreaks and most importantly the constant pressure he throws at the opponent and the energy that he brings to the team. As the season goes by, Kawhi keeps on improving and solidifying his spot as the team's best player.

Same for Kawhi, I would've given Tony an A but because of one aspect of the game, I chose not to. TP played poorly at the defensive end, started with Brooks and then Brooks went off thus forcing Pop to put danny on him. And then on the third before his amazing 15 pts straight, he was also getting burned in defense. But other than that, Tony was perfect in this game. Like I said, the highlight was that 3rd quarter of his, carrying the offense when no one could hit anything. Also hitting key shots in the 4th that finally put the game to rest. What I also liked was that Tony was showing signs of being able to drive at will to the paint. When he does that instead of chucking up inefficient long 2s then we're going to have a good night. 32 pts on 13-19? Not bad at all.

Manu was the 6th man Manu that he was like last season. When he came in the offense just looked better 16 points (+14), but not only that, he tied Kawhi with the most steals in the game in 3. It's impossible to put into words the impact that this guy brings, from orchestrating the 2nd unit's offense, getting steals, and just being pesky overall, all that in just 25 minutes of play.

It was a weird game for Tiago, he played well on defense, played ok in offense but only got 22 mins of play. The bright side is he's continuing on being his old self, like many of us have said many times before, Tiago makes or breaks our defense. It's in him whether our D is elite and when he is off, then it's a free 2pts every time for the penetration.

Boris made the most out of his 5 minutes of playing time with his excellent passing and vision. Unfortunately, after he fouled twice in like 1 min in the first quarter, he was put in Pop's doghouse for the rest of the game.

The other half of wingstop. 2 steals, 3/6 from 3's, 50% from the field, 11 points. I'm so glad Danny got out of his slump already. Just his defense alone brings so much value to the team but if you add his great 3pt shooting on top of that, then things will open up so much for the other guys. And besides, Danny is a player that plays up to his confidence, so shooting nights like this will only help our cause.

The only A for the game. Patty was amazing in only 16 mins of play, he managed to score 15 pts shooting 6/9 from the field and 75% from 3. He was the usual spark-plug, energy guy that the opposing team always hates. And he hit that big 3 in the 4th which imho, was the "GTFO" sign to the Bulls.

Marco didn't really give anything of significance despite having relatively a lot of minutes compared to the other guys who made more impact. Got lost on D even against that scrub rookie mcdermott, and only converted 1 out of 3 3ptrs.

They didn't matter. Although Bonner played significant minutes(in the 1st to 2nd quarter) he didn't do anything that helped us. Seriously, the dude is so bad right now. I feel bad for Cojo, he's a great guy and a decent PG but when Tp and Patty play like that there's no place for him. And UH HUH!

I like how Pop managed the minutes only Kawhi had high mins with 39 but let's face it, he needs that, he's only 23. Besides some shitty line-ups that he was either forced to or was just fucking around with, he had a stable game overall.

Spurs looking good, Raptors and Cleveland would be good games to test our strength against the East's good teams. And oh, we're the 6th seed now. Coming for that ass tbh. :tu

Awesome bud.
Kawhi was such a presence all game defensively and it was so good to see TP look more like a high-end NBA player again.
I'm loving the wins, the cohesion taking place and getting ready for the playoffs!

Silver&Black
03-08-2015, 10:40 PM
BTW...thanks OP :tu

ElNono
03-08-2015, 10:43 PM
I understand not wanting to give Gino an A, so it doesn't appear like he played better than other players, but this is what an A game from Gino looks like in this day and age. That's close to his ceiling these days, which is still very productive.

Solid grades overall.

wildchild
03-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks 100%duncan! :toast

Good win and great grades.

TXstbobcat
03-08-2015, 11:00 PM
Thank you! Great read.

Cry Havoc
03-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Really bummed I missed this game. Damn daylight savings time. :pctoss

Thanks for the grades. :tu

SASdynasty!
03-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the post...really tough to see how Parker doesn't get an A here...he had 2 big steals on defense (only 1 less than Kawhi & Manu), and had the best offensive game of the year for any Spur. Just not real sure how he gets the same exact grade as Ginobili & Danny Green and only slightly better than Splitter. Furthermore, how does Tim stay in the C range with arguably the worst offensive game of his entire career? Just feels like there might need to be a little more separation when we're talking about the best offensive game of the season and the worst offensive game of an 18-year career.

Edit: Didn't even see that Patty got a better grade than Parker...ok I was trying to take it easy, but come on man. Let's be real here. We're talking about a 32/4/2/2 game being worse than a 15/1/0/1 game? The downplaying of what Parker does for this team is unreal. The guy ran off 15 straight points for the Spurs when the Bulls got as close as they had for most of the game in the third. Parker ran off Mills' whole night of production in a few minutes.

TwoHandJam
03-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Great energy from everyone in this game - especially for an afternoon game where they're usually lethargic. Lets keep the win streak going.

Raptors and Cavs will be a further test to see if we're really rounding into form or just beating up on bad/wounded teams.

Btw, anyone know the name of the song they played at the end of the Sprint half-time report?

100%duncan
03-08-2015, 11:42 PM
I understand not wanting to give Gino an A, so it doesn't appear like he played better than other players, but this is what an A game from Gino looks like in this day and age. That's close to his ceiling these days, which is still very productive.

Solid grades overall.

You read my mind

100%duncan
03-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the post...really tough to see how Parker doesn't get an A here...he had 2 big steals on defense (only 1 less than Kawhi & Manu), and had the best offensive game of the year for any Spur. Just not real sure how he gets the same exact grade as Ginobili & Danny Green and only slightly better than Splitter. Furthermore, how does Tim stay in the C range with arguably the worst offensive game of his entire career? Just feels like there might need to be a little more separation when we're talking about the best offensive game of the season and the worst offensive game of an 18-year career.

Edit: Didn't even see that Patty got a better grade than Parker...ok I was trying to take it easy, but come on man. Let's be real here.

I said my defense for the tp grade already, he was getting lost against brooks in the 1st and third quarters. I'm also grading it based on my view on their personal standards, patty played like the patty of game 5 in the finals.

Good thoughts from you though, discussion and criticism are good things.

SASdynasty!
03-08-2015, 11:47 PM
I said my defense for the tp grade already, he was getting lost against brooks in the 1st and third quarters. I'm also grading it based on my view on their personal standards, patty played like the patty of game 5 in the finals.

Good thoughts from you though, discussion and criticism are good things.
Ok, if the grades represent how they played relative to their personal standards, that makes sense. So in other words, Mills getting an A doesn't mean he did more for the team than Parker, he just played closer to his full potential than Parker did to his?

100%duncan
03-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Ok, if the grades represent how they played relative to their personal standards, that makes sense. So in other words, Mills getting an A doesn't mean he did more for the team than Parker, he just played closer to his full potential than Parker did to his?
Playing to his full potential and giving a lot to the team. Big 3's from him especially the one to put away the game.
To be fair with tony he played more mins so obviously je was bound to make more mistakes like getting lost on defense. Patty on the other hand in his limited mins wasnt a liability in defense and shot very well in the field.

Gagnrath
03-09-2015, 01:48 AM
you Forgot Baynes.... Didn't get to watch much of the game... From the little I did see b- fairly effective on defense not much on offense other than screens.

100%duncan
03-09-2015, 02:09 AM
you Forgot Baynes.... Didn't get to watch much of the game... From the little I did see b- fairly effective on defense not much on offense other than screens.

Oh yah. I'd give him a C+. He got schooled by Pau all game.

Gagnrath
03-09-2015, 02:22 AM
Seemed effective on Noah... Didn't see him on gasol much but only really caught the last 12 minutes of the game after work. Considering gasol is an all star averaging over 18 ppg and more since rose went down most second string bigs will be schooled.

Not going to quibble between a b- and c+ through.

downunder
03-09-2015, 05:39 AM
I am a Mills fan but to give him more than Parker is ridiculous. Mills certainly did what he is paid to do - energise the team; demoralize the opponent. But his success largely depends on Parker causing defence problems so that Mills gets space. Spurs prospects depend on Parker's game. Pop knows that ; so does Parker who depends like most players on being confident. The best aspect of this game is that Tony might regain his confidence and finally beat off the effects of playing injured.

100%duncan
03-09-2015, 05:55 AM
Mills doesn't even play with Parker together :lol

benefactor
03-09-2015, 06:10 AM
Nice work. Thanks breh. :tu

100%duncan
03-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Welcome everyone. Would be nice if we can do this every game, a lot of brilliant minds in here tbh :wakeup

Pocho La Pantera
03-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Nice reading, thanks.

look_at_g_shred
03-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks :tu It's nice to see a thread worth reading and is about the team.

Boomersgold
03-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Game grades? Brings back memories.

Raven
03-09-2015, 09:58 AM
very solid

look_at_g_shred
03-09-2015, 10:12 AM
very solid
Now that's what I call, a very SOLID write-up lol

100%duncan
03-09-2015, 10:28 AM
very solid

Did you like Marco's grade tbh

Raven
03-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Did you like Marco's grade tbh

yeah, it clearly was one of his best games of the season :D

Horse
03-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Status of the team

Now back to the game:

Very nice but I gotta say in Tony's defense he's been the victim of some serious luck chucking last two games. and jerkoff players like brooks and Lawson getting way too many calls.

spurs10
03-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Good work thanks! I didn't notice Tim missing so many shots. Probably because he got to the line. Thought the team looked pretty good overall and seeing TP still has some in his tank is important. :toast

bdictjames
03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
High energy guy? Is Patty Mills our Dennis Schroeder? :)

FkLA
03-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Good write-up, OP. Glad your analysis takes into account both sides of the court. :tu

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 03:58 PM
I am amazed at how lost Belinelli gets on the court frequently.
Especially on the defensive end, but also on offense.

It's like he passes out for a second standing up and then comes back to reality in time to see something terrible happen because he went narcoleptic on his feet.
I can't explain that.

Raven was calling it way back when- props, brother on that.
I hate the time Beli is on the floor more than Bonner.
Even with the occasional clutch shot.

heyheymymy
03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
thanks for the throwback thread, was about to lose all faith in this forum. Nice to see some real threads. Wish we could go back to game grades after every tilt. if you wanna grade a game, don't stop, go for it!

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 04:05 PM
High energy guy? Is Patty Mills our Dennis Schroeder? :)
Vinnie the Microwave

rjv
03-09-2015, 05:46 PM
i almost feel as if tony has been slacking on defense intentionally lately in order to focus on the offensive end. or maybe i just wish this because he has been schooled by lawson and brooks in back to back games now.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
i almost feel as if tony has been slacking on defense intentionally lately in order to focus on the offensive end. or maybe i just wish this because he has been schooled by lawson and brooks in back to back games now.
The D has been cruddy all year, but from the past few games it looks like he's taking a little more pride in it and it's gotta somewhere...
At least his offense is starting to get put back together.

No loss in confidence. This team can do it.

Pauleta14
03-09-2015, 08:34 PM

That's usually what he mostly does during the RS tbh...

He only steps up his D for big games and PO, he never had the strengh to do both regularly.

FkLA
03-10-2015, 11:26 AM

He only steps up his D for big games and PO, he never had the strengh to do both regularly.

:lmao :lmao

apalisoc_9
03-10-2015, 11:28 AM
:lmao :lmao

nigga thinks tony is a good defender in the post season

:lmao

look_at_g_shred
03-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Absolutely agree man! Parker comes to play when the post season begins. I never doubt #9. Definitely a great leader!

dabom
03-10-2015, 12:57 PM
nigga thinks tony is a good defender in the post season