PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Seeding

Andthentherewas21
03-09-2015, 11:38 AM
With the start of the playoffs a little more than a month away, the playoff picture is starting to take shape.

As of March 9, 2015

The West:
1 Golden State 49 12
2 Memphis 44 18
3 Houston 43 20
4 Portland 41 20
5 LA Clippers 40 23
6 Dallas 41 24
7 San Antonio 39 23
8 Oklahoma City 35 28

Short of epic collapses by either/both GSW or Memphis, the highest position the Spurs could realistically hope to reach would be the 3rd seed. However, HOU currently holds a 3 game edge on the Spurs. 2 head-to-head match-ups remain between the Rockets and Spurs, however HOU has a far easier schedule in its remaining 19 games. With Wes Matthews out of the season, the Spurs definitely have a chance to take hold of the 4th seed if they continue to play well, and they are currently only 1/2 game out from the #5 seed (percentage points out of 6th).

Personally, I believe that the Spurs should aim for the 6th seed. It's unlikely the catch Houston for #3, and both 4-5 set them up with the winner of GSW/OKC. If Houston remains as the 3, it would also cut down on travel time during the series, and provide Pop with some strategic options (Hack-a-Howard, doubling Harden and leaving Josh Smith open for long 2s/3s). Plus if the get a nice run going now, it could give Pop some time to rest guys like Duncan and Manu, so they are a little fresher for the POs. (However, the counter argument would be that resting players could mess up continuity and the way the team is playing if everything starts to click).

What are everyone's thoughts on where the Spurs are currently, and what they should aim for over the next 5 weeks?

Chinook
03-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Spurs can't get the fourth seed unless Houston falls out of the top four. I'd honestly would rather them hang in seventh. Full confidence they'd come out of that half of the bracket.

TXstbobcat
03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I think they will end the season as the #5 seed.

DesignatedT
03-09-2015, 11:48 AM
3 would be nice if possible but I would rather be 6/7 than 5.

I think everyone is probably wanting Portland first round at this point.

Blake
03-09-2015, 11:54 AM
I'd rather be 8 than 6 or 7.

That way you play the winner of the 4/5 series the next round while 2 and 3 beat on each other.

Chinook
03-09-2015, 11:57 AM
I'd rather be 8 than 6 or 7.

That way you play the winner of the 4/5 series the next round while 2 and 3 beat on each other.

I'd rather play Memphis in the first than GS. I see what you're saying, though, because LAC and POR are the two weakest teams in the bracket.

Blake
03-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Memphis concerns me more than GS.

GS might beat the Spurs 140-80 in game 1 then lose to SA 102-90 in game 2 before losing the series to the Spurs in 6.

The Memphis series will be a physical beat down series, going all 7 games, doing good to crack 200 total points in any one game

Chinook
03-09-2015, 12:22 PM

GS might beat the Spurs 140-80 in game 1 then lose to SA 102-90 in game 2 before losing the series to the Spurs in 6.

The Memphis series will be a physical beat down series, going all 7 games, doing good to crack 200 total points in any one game

I don't think Memphis is nearly as physical as they used to be. Randolph in the post is pretty much the most contact they're going to give. I think they've gotten a lot softer since the 2013 WCF.

Old School 44
03-09-2015, 12:26 PM
No easy outs in the West. BUT if I had to choose, I'd want Memphis in the first round. Poor Warriors, win the West and your first round opponent is OKC! Van Gundy mentioned this kind of as a joke in the telecast, but I like the idea of the first 3 seeds picking their first round opponent, so the Warriors being number 1 could pick whoever they want from the bottom 4. I don't like the idea of a lesser seed having any bearing on who they play (tanking for the better matchup).

Did any of you see the issue with the two girls high school teams tanking to avoid the side of the bracket with the prior championship team? I believe it got both coaches suspended and both teams disqualified from the playoffs.

Johnny RIngo
03-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Assuming 3rd seed in unattainable, 7th seed does look like the easiest route but I don't believe in tanking for an opponent. Win as much as possible and aim for homecourt in the first round.

weebo
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I have a feeling this year's version of the Spurs matches up better with this year's version of the Griz.

Johnny RIngo
03-09-2015, 01:14 PM
I have a feeling this year's version of the Spurs matches up better with this year's version of the Griz.

Ever since drafting Leonard and moving Splitter to the starting lineup, Spurs have pretty much owned the Grizzlies. We lost to them twice this season but I blame that more on injuries.

SpurPadre
03-09-2015, 01:15 PM
There's a reason why only 1 low seed without any homecourt advantage has EVER won the NBA Title. It's an anomaly and the one team to do it had Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime. The Spurs need to keep moving up as much as possible.

weebo
03-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Ever since drafting Leonard and moving Splitter to the starting lineup, Spurs have pretty much owned the Grizzlies. We lost to them twice this season but I blame that more on injuries.

Yeah. I also wouldn't mind if the Spurs beat them as a number 7 seed. Give them a little more payback for deliberately tanking in '11 for that 8th spot.

weebo
03-09-2015, 01:23 PM
There's a reason why only 1 low seed without any homecourt advantage has EVER won the NBA Title. It's an anomaly and the one team to do it had Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime. The Spurs need to keep moving up as much as possible.

There is really one very good regular season right now in the west and that's GS. Everyone else is about even. Best thing for the Spurs is to be playing their best basketball at the end of the season, seeding be damned.

baseline bum
03-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I hope they get the 4 or 5 seed, as I'd much rather see Portland in the first than Houston or Memphis. The second round and beyond would be a really tough matchup no matter what anyways should the Spurs advance.

Seventyniner
03-09-2015, 01:51 PM
I can't see a scenario in which the Spurs play poorly enough to stay at 6/7/8 and well enough to get out of round 1. Maybe if an injury hits that costs an important player 3-4 weeks.

Hoops Czar
03-09-2015, 01:53 PM
I can't see a scenario in which the Spurs play poorly enough to stay at 6/7/8 and well enough to get out of round 1. Maybe if an injury hits that costs an important player 3-4 weeks.

You don't think the defending champs will make it out of the first round?

SpursFan86
03-09-2015, 01:53 PM
I hope they get the 4 or 5 seed, as I'd much rather see Portland in the first than Houston or Memphis. The second round and beyond would be a really tough matchup no matter what anyways should the Spurs advance.

I agree that Portland would be the easiest (realistic) 1st round matchup...especially now that they lost Wes Matthews for the year. But if we stay in the bottom half of the bracket, there will be the off chance that we avoid both GS and OKC entirely. That's worth the risk of having a slightly harder 1st round IMO. And I really feel pretty confident about our chances of making it to the WCF as things are now. We'd have to beat 2 of Memphis/Houston/Dallas...I think that's pretty doable.

The main thing we have to hope for is OKC staying in 8th. It'd suck if a team like Dallas fell apart and let OKC get to 7th, and then we ended up having to face OKC in the 2nd round and then GS in the WCF.

hater
03-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Keep it simple. Stay out of 8 and 7 seed. Simple.

Lock 6+ seed up and let the other loser teams battle it out until mid april.

spurs10
This is a good subject. With a whole month to go we obviously need to be winning games and gaining momentum. I don't know how Pop feels about all this. He might be willing to sit some guys toward the end for rest, but I'm doubting he has a tanking plan in order. It doesn't matter if Blazers are 4th in name if our record is better, so 5th would give us HCA.

I'm seeing it less likely to get to 3, as Rockets are winning games. Possibly if we go on a tear and win both games against them.

apalisoc_9
Meh I don't believe in tanking just to get a better bracket..Get in a rhythm, win games and go from there.

The spurs play Houston twice in a row so if they can gain ground.. ( be at least two games behind houston before those two games), they should be able to steal third...

Probably play Clippers-Memphis-Warriors or thunder in that order.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Good question...

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Meh I don't believe in tanking just to get a better bracket..Get in a rhythm, win games and go from there.

The spurs play Houston twice in a row so if they can gain ground.. ( be at least two games behind houston before those two games), they should be able to steal third...

Probably play Clippers-Memphis-Warriors or thunder in that order.

Shut up punk-ass player fan.
Your like a fucking plague...

dabom
03-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Shut up punk-ass player fan.
Your like a fucking plague...

Dude you are a faggot. Suck dick on your down time cock smoking bitch. :lmao
Always turning civil discussions into mockery with your mentally retarded takes. :lmao

MVPCues
03-09-2015, 02:12 PM

I agree with this.

dabom
03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Your posts are even shittier on this account, pgardn (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19184), and you still come across as someone who was dropped on their head one too many times as a child.

pgardn :lmao plum island :lmao

exposed :lmao

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Dude you are a faggot. Suck dick on your down time cock smoking bitch. :lmao
Always turning civil discussions into mockery with your mentally retarded takes. :lmao
You're worse than him. It's not even funny.
Two of the absolute anchors on this site. Not amusing, not smart, not... anything.
Just useless.

dabom
03-09-2015, 02:20 PM
pgardn :lmao

Stop embarrassing yourself idiot.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mark_twain.html)

:lmao

dabom
03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
worse than apal :cry

TXstbobcat
03-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Hey guys whats up....I was going to post up some youtube videos of people who have vision's and dreams about Jesus Christ and other events....visions of the lord coming soon and etc etc.....but for some reason the videos don't post on here so here are some youtube channels to look up....

Boldsojah4Christ

Crystal Clay

Evangelist Anita Fuentes

Check these youtube channels out......some legit visions and dreams about the lord Jesus Christ.....these people receive the message of the lord and tell there visions on youtube for people to see.....check them out cause theres some good information on there.....Brothers and sisters repent,forgive your sins and get closer to god before its too late....god loves us all and he want us to get closer to him.....reach out to the lord and tell him that you want to be saved...you have to believe in it....have faith .......glory to the father son and holy spirit...love you my brothers and sisters....god bless
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/clear.gif Edit Post (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/editpost.php?p=7863633&do=editpost) http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/clear.gif Reply (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7863633&noquote=1) http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/clear.gif Reply With Quote (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7863633) http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_40b.png (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7863633) http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/statusicon/user-online.png

Are they praying for the Spurs to get home court advantage in the 1st round of the playoffs???

heyheymymy
03-09-2015, 03:59 PM
dabom and apa are worse than Skull-1. Can't believe I'd rather hear him cry about Manu in the 13 Finals again than watch dabom and apa sink this forum with garbage after garbage post. jesus fucking christ.

heyheymymy
03-09-2015, 04:00 PM
and you've got spurtech spamming jesus in multiple threads. what the fuck happened to this place?

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Are they praying for the Spurs to get home court advantage in the 1st round of the playoffs???
Only then will I give them the filthy lucre they crave...
But not much.
They better damn well pray for 6 before the checkbook opens.

dabom
03-09-2015, 04:04 PM
dabom and apa are worse than Skull-1. Can't believe I'd rather hear him cry about Manu in the 13 Finals again than watch dabom and apa sink this forum with garbage after garbage post. jesus fucking christ.

you deserve your own meltdown thread srs.

K...
03-09-2015, 04:15 PM
brother im not fooling around here....if you really believe in the lord get close to him......im not spamming but spreading the words of Christ......

Post your info in the club. And it is spamming.....the definition of spam being unsolicited mail sent to a large audience.

Ps Manu is an atheist.

03-09-2015, 04:17 PM
tbh I didn't think anything could get worse than the 2013 manu hate

Blake
03-09-2015, 04:27 PM
brother im not fooling around here....if you really believe in the lord get close to him......im not spamming but spreading the words of Christ......

Breaking forum rules is a great way to get people to listen to you talk about Jesus

TXstbobcat
03-09-2015, 04:58 PM
don't know anything about the club brother forgive me....and manu being atheist has nothing to do with my post brother.....just saw some shocking videos of people having visions of the lord.....that's all ....no harm to no one......these people can see jesus in there dreams...its really real and jesus send them messages in there dream to tell people....and jesus Christ is coming soon brother...praise the lord all amighty....god bless you bro....opem up your eyes and get closer to the lord....

Did is any of these visions show how well Mills will shoot from beyond the arc in this years playoffs????

DesignatedT
03-09-2015, 05:00 PM

I don't think Memphis is nearly as physical as they used to be. Randolph in the post is pretty much the most contact they're going to give. I think they've gotten a lot softer since the 2013 WCF.

I don't like the whole revenge factor aspect for Memphis as there is probably not another team out there who they would be more motivated for than us. At the same time, ever since we have acquired Leonard and Splitter has been inserted as a starter, they just don't seem to have any sort of real edge against us. Carter and Lee being able to shoot the three changes things a little bit from years past though.

I would prefer Portland, LAC and Dallas before the rest of the field.

I'm not sure the Spurs have enough in them to run n gun with Golden State at this point in time. In years past, I think the Spurs would execute a team like GS to death but I'm not sure they can keep up with a team like GS at this point. I think these Spurs are better built for a more physical, grind it out series with an older, slower team like themselves. JMO

Beaverfuzz
03-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Spurs are still in 7th, but .5 back of 5th place Slipps and 6th place Mavs.

Things are about to pick up.

Beaverfuzz
03-09-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't like the whole revenge factor aspect for Memphis as there is probably not another team out there who they would be more motivated for than us. At the same time, ever since we have acquired Leonard and Splitter has been inserted as a starter, they just don't seem to have any sort of real edge against us. Carter and Lee being able to shoot the three changes things a little bit from years past though.

I'm not sure the Spurs have enough in them to run n gun with Golden State at this point in time. In years past, I think the Spurs would execute a team like GS to death but I'm not sure they can keep up with a team like GS at this point. I think these Spurs are better built for a more physical, grind it out series with an older, slower team like themselves. JMO

Spurs more physical? Did you see what the Bulls big men did to the Spurs? Spurs would love to get Golden Taint in a playoff matchup but may have to wait until the second round for that.

100%duncan
03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Get the thrd

Raven
03-09-2015, 05:49 PM
i consider #3 as a given, it will be hard for #2 however.

SpurPadre
03-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Is that piece of shit Dwight Howard coming back any time soon for the Rockets? And if not, what has their record been without him?

SpurPadre
03-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Well, there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs so we should still be able to run n gun with the Dubs even though we are older than dirt.

dabom
03-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Warriors do not scare me. They usually fizzle out as the pressure heats up. Injury prone team is going to injure themselves playing playoff basketball.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Well, there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs so we should still be able to run n gun with the Dubs even though we are older than dirt.
I actually like the matchups between the two teams.
In a series I trust in this team to make proper adjustments and Kerr is still a rookie coach.

I love Kawhi and Danny defensively on Golden State and feel that they can disrupt their flow better than most teams.
I look forward to a San Antonio/Golden State matchup.

If Jesus, I mean spurtech9 allows the Earth to spin that long...

Malik Hairston
03-09-2015, 06:05 PM
The West is extremely overrated every year, tbh, but especially this year in particular..

Realistically, there are 2 contenders(Golden State, Memphis) and 2 wildcard teams(Spurs, Thunder)..everybody else doesn't have the personnel to win an NBA championship..with the Matthews injury, Portland loses all their depth and their best perimeter defender(Afflalo is a mediocre defender, he hasn't been good since his Pistons days), they are the weakest team of the bunch..

As I've been saying all year, even prior to the Rondo trade, the Mavs are the most overrated team in the NBA and they simply don't have the makeup of a contender..the majority of their roster doesn't have defined roles, they're relying on Chandler Parsons, Rondo is one of the 5 worst starting PGs in the NBA, and Dirk is no longer the same player(and as we saw towards the end of last year's series vs. the Spurs, they severely exploited his mobility on defense)..

Memphis is a contender by name, but the Spurs match up extremely well with them, and while their perimeter offense has improved, they are no longer the same physical team of the past, as Chinook said..Randolph has been completely neutralized since Splitter became a key player for the Spurs, as well..

Staying out of the Warriors/Thunder bracket is imperative, as the other bracket will be levels easier..while I don't think the Rockets are a legit contender, they would be the #3 team I would fear, tbh, they just seem to play with immense confidence vs. the Spurs, not to mention I'd rather avoid a frustrating series full of Harden officiating..

Malik Hairston
03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
And although last year's Spurs showed that an unconventional team can win a championship, regardless of past trends, it's difficult not to be at least a little scared of the Warriors, despite the Spurs matching up very well with them on paper..

Looking at the Warriors' rankings in most facets, most teams of their caliber go on to win championships, unfortunately..

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 06:09 PM
The West is extremely overrated every year, tbh, but especially this year in particular..

Realistically, there are 2 contenders(Golden State, Memphis) and 2 wildcard teams(Spurs, Thunder)..everybody else doesn't have the personnel to win an NBA championship..with the Matthews injury, Portland loses all their depth and their best perimeter defender(Afflalo is a mediocre defender, he hasn't been good since his Pistons days), they are the weakest team of the bunch..

As I've been saying all year, even prior to the Rondo trade, the Mavs are the most overrated team in the NBA and they simply don't have the makeup of a contender..the majority of their roster doesn't have defined roles, they're relying on Chandler Parsons, Rondo is one of the 5 worst starting PGs in the NBA, and Dirk is no longer the same player(and as we saw towards the end of last year's series vs. the Spurs, they severely exploited his mobility on defense)..

Memphis is a contender by name, but the Spurs match up extremely well with them, and while their perimeter offense has improved, they are no longer the same physical team of the past, as Chinook said..Randolph has been completely neutralized since Splitter became a key player for the Spurs, as well..

Staying out of the Warriors/Thunder bracket is imperative, as the other bracket will be levels easier..while I don't think the Rockets are a legit contender, they would be the #3 team I would fear, tbh, they just seem to play with immense confidence vs. the Spurs, not to mention I'd rather avoid a frustrating series full of Harden officiating..
I think this is still the Spur's game to lose.
Anything can happen from now to then, but I firmly believe it.

The Thunder is the largest threat to me- mostly because of Westbrook's ability to take over a game and that's all it takes when you have another talent like Durant to support him.
I do think the Spurs have the players to disrupt the Warriors in a series.

Then it's on to whoever the East sacrifices.

dabom
03-09-2015, 06:11 PM
And although last year's Spurs showed that an unconventional team can win a championship, regardless of past trends, it's difficult not to be at least a little scared of the Warriors, despite the Spurs matching up very well with them on paper..

Looking at the Warriors' rankings in most facets, most teams of their caliber go on to win championships, unfortunately..

If history has shown me is that their 2 best players are injury prone. Steph and bogut. We will see it again this year.

Malik Hairston
03-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Splitter would have to be on his A-game to beat the Warriors, too..

Duncan was completely exposed in the 2013 series against them IIRC..it wouldn't be any different this time, Curry at the top is a matchup nightmare against any team with slow bigs, especially a big that can't exploit them on the offensive end(which Duncan can't do vs. Bogut)..

Doesn't really matter, though, both OKC and Golden State would be tough..the other teams aren't scary, at all, tbh, including Memphis..

DesignatedT
03-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Spurs more physical? Did you see what the Bulls big men did to the Spurs? Spurs would love to get Golden Taint in a playoff matchup but may have to wait until the second round for that.

It's virtually the same Memphis and Spurs team from 2 years ago. Were they too physical for the Spurs then?

dabom
03-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Duncan was completely exposed in the 2013 series against them IIRC..it wouldn't be any different this time, Curry at the top is a matchup nightmare against any team with slow bigs, especially a big that can't exploit them on the offensive end(which Duncan can't do vs. Bogut)..

Our team without the big three still beats the warriors periodically. The spurs also post huge problems for the warriors. Their backcourt usually gets worked by kawhi and green.
Pop in the playoffs is going to work circles around kerr.
The warriors are also the ones under huge pressure from the media fans and themselves. They're going to crack.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Doesn't really matter, though, both OKC and Golden State would be tough..the other teams aren't scary, at all, tbh, including Memphis..
You're right on that.
Splitter is going to be a very important piece if they are going to win against them
Duncan has lost too much speed to affect the PnR.

The good thing is that it looks like Splitter is getting back to being what he can be, at least on defense.

daslicer
03-09-2015, 06:23 PM
:toast Here's to the Spurs pulling a '95 Rockets.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Our team without the big three still beats the warriors periodically. The spurs also post huge problems for the warriors. Their backcourt usually gets worked by kawhi and green.
Pop in the playoffs is going to work circles around kerr.
The warriors are also the ones under huge pressure from the media fans and themselves. They're going to crack.
Yeah- that's what I'm hoping anyway.
Pop is actually pretty good during a series and maybe can take advantage of Kerr in that respect and Kawhi and Green can definitely be a disruption to their offense.

I honestly believe this series, if it were to happen- will literally come down to who makes the most mistakes down the stretch.

I am very much looking forward to what may be the final playoffs that Duncan, Ginobili and Parker play together in.
Our pissing on each other not withstanding, Dabom...

BillMc
03-09-2015, 06:41 PM
I think Houston would be a good first round matchup. Can't see McHale out coaching Pop for a whole series.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 06:41 PM
:toast Here's to the Spurs pulling a '95 Rockets.
Never
Underestimate
The Heart
Of a Champion

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I think Houston would be a good first round matchup. Can't see McHale out coaching Pop for a whole series.
That series will really depend on what refs are on the rag from game to game.
Harden is the ultimate draw-contact-on-purpose player right now and it's on the refs to call the game not only right, but more importantly:
Consistently.

If the refs are tough for 3/4's of a game and then go soft towards the end- that looks like a Spurs lead dwindling to me.
That series, to me will be about as frustrating as watching a Spurs/Clippers series with all their dirty tactics and shameless bitching.

Poolboy5623
03-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Only east team (finals matchup), that would have the hca edge, is Atl?

FireMicoHalili
03-09-2015, 07:11 PM
you deserve your own meltdown thread srs.
no it's true you really are horrible

dabom
03-09-2015, 07:15 PM
no it's true you really are horrible

Lot of butthurt people on here. Just give me the MVP already.

Keepin' it real
03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm fine with whoever the Spurs play in round 1. My only hope is that the Spurs don't play OKC in the playoffs. It's not that I fear them, it's just that I hate them so much. It's bad for my health to watch games against OKC.

The funny thing is a lot of people want OKC to stay at 8th so they can play GS in round 1. I'd rather they finish 7th so they can match up against Memphis. I think Memphis can and would beat OKC.

heyheymymy
03-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Lot of butthurt people on here.

Maybe you just fucking suck? Sorry, just been noticing lately. Lotta divisive shit from you and a shitload of rofl emoticons.

I'm not dropping advanced stats in every post myself or anything but you need a hiatus badly.

dabom
03-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Maybe you just fucking suck? Sorry, just been noticing lately. Lotta divisive shit from you and a shitload of rofl emoticons.

I'm not dropping advanced stats in every post myself or anything but you need a hiatus badly.

Fuck you faggot. How about you disappear. Couldn't careless about peons tbh.

heyheymymy
03-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Fuck you faggot. How about you disappear. Couldn't careless about peons tbh.

pffft, that's it? where is the rofl emoticon?

dabom
03-09-2015, 07:51 PM
pffft, that's it? where is the rofl emoticon?

You don't deserve one faggot.

dabom
03-09-2015, 07:53 PM
I see heyhey wants to get slayed too.

heyheymymy
03-09-2015, 08:01 PM

dabom
03-09-2015, 08:06 PM
lol kids will be kids I guess. Thinking you can step up to your old man and then get whupped like a bitch and get kicked out the house.
I see you're in that rebellious stage right now.

Seventyniner
03-09-2015, 08:36 PM

Not if they play as poorly as they have in slipping to #7. The remaining schedule is pretty light so the Spurs would actually have to regress to not finish with a top 5 seed.

Though I'll have to backtrack a bit. Harlem points out that matchups are often more important than seeding and I can agree with that. If the Spurs finish #6 and catch Portland or the Clippers in the first round, the Spurs could still advance even given the uneven play this season.

daslicer
03-09-2015, 08:41 PM
That series will really depend on what refs are on the rag from game to game.
Harden is the ultimate draw-contact-on-purpose player right now and it's on the refs to call the game not only right, but more importantly:
Consistently.

If the refs are tough for 3/4's of a game and then go soft towards the end- that looks like a Spurs lead dwindling to me.
That series, to me will be about as frustrating as watching a Spurs/Clippers series with all their dirty tactics and shameless bitching.

I agree with what you are saying about Harden and its the reason why I prefer for the Spurs not to play the Rockets in the first round. Historically the Spurs have always have had difficulty against star players that get touch fouls. Playing against the Rockets due to the way Harden gets special treatment will be a series that can go 50/50 which is a pretty risky proposition. On top that I hate watching the Rockets considering their games last 3 hours due to all the bs fouls Harden racks up in the course of the game.

Plum Island
03-09-2015, 08:46 PM
I agree with what you are saying about Harden and its the reason why I prefer for the Spurs not to play the Rockets in the first round. Historically the Spurs have always have had difficulty against star players that get touch fouls. Playing against the Rockets due to the way Harden gets special treatment will be a series that can go 50/50 which is a pretty risky proposition. On top that I hate watching the Rockets considering their games last 3 hours due to all the bs fouls Harden racks up in the course of the game.
Torture porn.
Hate watching them.

cjw
03-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Houston B2B will decide the season series, which currently is at 1-1. If those games are split, next tiebreaker is division record. SA is currently 4-6 and Houston is 5-6. Then it comes down to conference record, and the Spurs are four back in the loss column. Spurs will likely have to win both ends of the B2B in order to have a chance of tying Houston, and then will need Houston to falter beyond that. I agree that #3 is ideal with a matchup against a team like Dallas.

Anything to avoid GS/OKC for as long as possible (and to only have to play one) is all I can hope for. Though as a #4/5, you may catch them off a grueling first round series with OKC and steal one of the first two on the road.

DAF86
03-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Best case scenario would be the 3rd seed but if that can't be reach I would rather end 6th or 7th than 4th of 5th.

Beaverfuzz
03-09-2015, 10:03 PM
It's virtually the same Memphis and Spurs team from 2 years ago. Were they too physical for the Spurs then?

Spurs are weak in the middle, doesn't mean they can't beat the Grizz, but still...that is one weak spot that the Spurs will have to fix after this year.

ezau
03-09-2015, 10:49 PM

If Leonard and Green could go toe-to-toe and beat Durant/Westbrook and Lebron/Wade, I don't see any reason why they can't do the same to Curry and Thompson.

mystargtr34
03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Best case scenario would be the 3rd seed but if that can't be reach I would rather end 6th or 7th than 4th of 5th.

Agree.. I'm still holding out hope for the 3rd seed. I think the Rockets have a tougher schedule than people think.. even in the next week they have both Por and LAC on the road.. which could be two losses.

I think Dallas is a lock for 7th seed.. they don't look that great and have a toughish schedule..

Most likely, I can see the Blazers dropping and it may turn out to be a tank fest for the 6th seed between the Clips, Blazers and Spurs. I think they would all prefer the 6th seed over the 4th-5th.

hyhy
03-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Any bracket that involves portland, clippers and memphis would see us to the WCF at least.
Since memphis would be 2nd, we need to be either 3rd, 6th or 7th.

spurs10
03-09-2015, 11:46 PM
I wonder how Pop will play it. Somehow I think he's unlikely to tank to avoid someone. Then again he's a tactician.

itzsoweezee
03-10-2015, 12:34 AM
The problem with the warriors is that there's no one Parker can guard on that team. Green is much better than he was when the spurs faced them, so is clay.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Why not take the 5th seed, that seems ideal, Portland (who wont have HC advantage) will be an easy out. And then we take out Golden State or OKC (we would have homecourt), and then clean up the Griz/Rockets/Clippers/Mavs in the WCF, easy road, toughest matchup in the WCSF, if we cant win that we arent winning the title anyways

Uriel
03-10-2015, 01:11 AM
Here's hoping OKC can beat GS in the first round, tbh. And the Spurs wind up as the 3 seed. Then it'll be just like 07, where the #1 seed gets upset in the 1st round and the #3 Spurs go on to win the NBA Finals against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. :lol

dabom
03-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Here's hoping OKC can beat GS in the first round, tbh. And the Spurs wind up as the 3 seed. Then it'll be just like 07, where the #1 seed gets upset in the 1st round and the #3 Spurs go on to win the NBA Finals against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. :lol

:wakeup

wildchild
03-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Houston B2B will decide the season series, which currently is at 1-1. If those games are split, next tiebreaker is division record. SA is currently 4-6 and Houston is 5-6. Then it comes down to conference record, and the Spurs are four back in the loss column. Spurs will likely have to win both ends of the B2B in order to have a chance of tying Houston, and then will need Houston to falter beyond that. I agree that #3 is ideal with a matchup against a team like Dallas.

Pop will sit Tim or Manu? The Spurs have needed to play the guys that they usually rest, and maybe rest his players in the last games of the season is more important than seeding for Pop.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-10-2015, 01:19 AM
B2B in the last games of the season...Pop will sit Tim or Manu? The Spurs have needed to play the guys that they usually rest, and maybe rest his players is more important than seeding for Pop.

There is a day between the houston games, they are on the 8th and 10th

wildchild
03-10-2015, 01:31 AM
There is a day between the houston games, they are on the 8th and 10th

Yes, thanks. If Pop decides to rest players still can against the Suns...

dabom
03-10-2015, 01:32 AM

Dallas gets 8th seed somehow and then they upset the warriors and dirk gets some closure. :lol

FireMicoHalili
03-10-2015, 02:15 AM
Just give me the MVP already.
if MVP means most vapid poster, sure

dabom
03-10-2015, 02:22 AM
if MVP means most valuable poster, sure

Fixed that for ya. :lol

Malik Hairston
03-10-2015, 02:47 AM

:lol..

FireMicoHalili
03-10-2015, 03:04 AM
FI agree, I am a tool and I get hard-ons trolling fan forums with apalisoc_9. :lol
that's fine man

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Not really sure why people would want the 6th or 7th seed, as this would mean the Spurs wouldn't find their groove until the end of the season. Also, from a bracket standpoint, I believe Dallas would lose ground as their schedule is tough and OKC will end up 7th, provided that Durant is back.

Don't think 4th/5th is bad, 5th is much more likely currently. Warriors in the 2nd round will be difficult, but fortunately the Spurs have the best personnel in the league when it comes to matchups, which is an amazing advantage. Won't guarantee anything, unless they can get back to their 2014 playoffs form, and it's much more likely that they won't be able to repeat, but the matchups will be in the Spurs favor pretty much against everyone, whether they can exploit it is another question. So far during the season they haven't.

exstatic
03-10-2015, 07:10 AM
I have no idea why people are even remotely concerned about Memphis. At one point last season, we hit a mark of like 17-2 against them since that 2011 debacle. We own their asses.

DesignatedT
03-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Spurs are weak in the middle, doesn't mean they can't beat the Grizz, but still...that is one weak spot that the Spurs will have to fix after this year.

Who are you calling weak? Tim or Tiago or both? Were they not as weak two years ago or something?

look_at_g_shred
03-10-2015, 09:37 AM
I have no idea why people are even remotely concerned about Memphis. At one point last season, we hit a mark of like 17-2 against them since that 2011 debacle. We own their asses.

Johnny RIngo
03-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Not really sure why people would want the 6th or 7th seed, as this would mean the Spurs wouldn't find their groove until the end of the season. Also, from a bracket standpoint, I believe Dallas would lose ground as their schedule is tough and OKC will end up 7th, provided that Durant is back.

This is why I don't like tanking. You might get burned for it if something unexpected happens like OKC overtaking Dallas. You're going to have to play the best teams eventually - might as well go into the post-season with some momentum and homecourt in the first round as well.

ducks
03-10-2015, 10:07 AM
I would rather play gs later
their two shooters will be more tired and make it easer for green and leonard

Beaverfuzz
03-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Who are you calling weak? Tim or Tiago or both? Were they not as weak two years ago or something?

They may not have been weak two years ago but they are noticeably weaker this year. Tim's just getting older, Tiago's just a pussy. And with looking who's on the bench, I don't see it getting any better in the short-term.

dabom
03-10-2015, 01:13 PM
that's fine man

:lol

DesignatedT
03-10-2015, 01:19 PM
They may not have been weak two years ago but they are noticeably weaker this year. Tim's just getting older, Tiago's just a pussy. And with looking who's on the bench, I don't see it getting any better in the short-term.

I don't see much of a difference at all between Tim now and Tim the last couple years tbh. Tiago was a pussy two years ago when we swept Memphis? Just trying to see the logic behind your statement about us being too soft inside to handle Memphis.

Beaverfuzz
03-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't see much of a difference at all between Tim now and Tim the last couple years tbh. Tiago was a pussy two years ago when we swept Memphis? Just trying to see the logic behind your statement about us being too soft inside to handle Memphis.

Tiago has been slow-footed all year long, so yes he's a pussy. Tim has just slowly declined n defense as well, not his fault that Father Time is grabbing ahold of him.

Johnny RIngo
03-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Tiago has been slow-footed all year long, so yes he's a pussy. Tim has just slowly declined n defense as well, not his fault that Father Time is grabbing ahold of him.

Tiago played for Brazil in the summer so that would explain his slow start to the season. His defense has looked a lot better in recent weeks.

spurraider21
03-10-2015, 09:10 PM
About to jump into the 6 seed, and only half game away from 5th :bobo

Darius McCrary
03-10-2015, 09:57 PM
I fear GSW more than OKC

And while I agree with the poster who said he hates OKC so much that OKC games are bad for his health, I don't think theyll be as effective against us without Perkins.

Bright-eyed Boy, White Black Guy, and a great Duncan defender and bench scare me far more than a Brooks OKC team, even with Chuckbrook reaching Super Saiyan 4

Darius McCrary
03-10-2015, 10:08 PM
ALSO...

With the way the Mavericks are playing, and their upcoming schedule....them going to the 8th seed would actually be the worst possible scenario for the Spurs, regardless of the Spurs own playoff seeding.

Just food for thought.

Beaverfuzz
03-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Tiago played for Brazil in the summer so that would explain his slow start to the season. His defense has looked a lot better in recent weeks.

Needs to bring it a little more on O too. Throw it down one time big man!

Beaverfuzz
03-10-2015, 10:31 PM
ALSO...

With the way the Mavericks are playing, and their upcoming schedule....them going to the 8th seed would actually be the worst possible scenario for the Spurs, regardless of the Spurs own playoff seeding.

Just food for thought.

Huh? How would the Mavs falling to #8 be the worst possible scenario since the Spurs most likely wouldn't play them until the Conference Finals? Spurs aren't reaching #1, and most likely Portland holds onto #4 (they can't fall any further) so that just leaves #5 for the Spurs for your scenario to remotely come true.

Darius McCrary
03-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Huh? How would the Mavs falling to #8 be the worst possible scenario since the Spurs most likely wouldn't play them until the Conference Finals? Spurs aren't reaching #1, and most likely Portland holds onto #4 (they can't fall any further) so that just leaves #5 for the Spurs for your scenario to remotely come true.

Mavs falling to 8 would suck because that means there will be both an OKC and a GSW alive in the playoffs after the 1st round

Beaverfuzz
03-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Mavs falling to 8 would suck because that means there will be both an OKC and a GSW alive in the playoffs after the 1st round

I don't follow your logic. Pass the dutchie on the left hand side.

Arcadian
03-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Hello, 6th place.

Goodbye, Mavs. :lol

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 01:13 AM
Ideal and realistic scenario for Spurs would be 3 seed and play the following

Round 1- Blazers
Round 2- Grizzlies
Round 3- Warriors-jump shooting team in WCF

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Hardest path-Difficult mode

Round 1- Clippers
Round 2- Warriors/Thunder
Round 3- Thunder/Warriors

I wouldn't sleep on the Clippers.They've given us huge problems this year.

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Stern challenge- Warriors Thunder
Difficult- Clipppers
Passable- Blazers Rockets Grizzlies
Light task- Mavs

If Howard done for season.You can put Rockets in Mavs territory

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Hello, 6th place.

Goodbye, Mavs. :lol

Al Bundy: Goodbye Peg,hello everybody else.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-11-2015, 01:36 AM
Hardest path-Difficult mode

Round 1- Clippers
Round 2- Warriors/Thunder
Round 3- Thunder/Warriors

I wouldn't sleep on the Clippers.They've given us huge problems this year.

We will likely finish at 5 (a true 4) and face Golden State in round 2, which Im fine with, we can beat them, they arent all that. And if they beat us, we tip our cap, would rather beat the best in the second round than the 3rd.

MultiTroll
03-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Schedule remaining is pretty favorable.
Completely control our own fate as far as locking into a 6th or so with 2Xs Dallas and 2Xs Houston.
Lot gotta happen to jump to 4th. Regardless, Spurs gotta win a lot to get to 4th.

Be nice to jump the Clippers this weekend.

FlAVaK
03-11-2015, 03:46 PM
^well, Clippers@OKC tonight. A Thunder win would put already Spurs ahead of L.A. !

And Houston@Portland, so one of those teams comes closer in the loss column (21, Spurs 23)...

SpurPadre
03-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Well, no 5th seed tonight. Thunder are taking it up the ass vs. the Paper Clips.

apalisoc_9
03-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Grizzlies lose..

And tom is their b2b game too..They lose that one and they are tied with Houston and Portland in the L column..

Memphis xan't afford to go on a bad stretch or else they would lose that 2nd seed.

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Regardless of seeding,these are the best teams in the West,in order.

1.Warriors
2.Clippers
3.Spurs
4.Thunder
5.Grizzlies
6.Rockets
7.Blazers
8.Mavs

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Grizzlies lose..

And tom is their b2b game too..They lose that one and they are tied with Houston and Portland in the L column..

Memphis xan't afford to go on a bad stretch or else they would lose that 2nd seed.

Grizzlies are the Chicago Bulls of the West minus the injuries.Every year is same ole.This the year they arrive,now they have an offense,yada yada.Their ceiling is 2nd round or WCF flameout.

Like the 2009-2011 Spurs.Their ceiling was 1st round victory follow by 2nd round TKO.

exstatic
03-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Well, no 5th seed tonight. Thunder are taking it up the ass vs. the Paper Clips.

Wasn't going to happen anyway. We're tied head to head, but the LAC have a better conference record.

houston spurs fan
03-11-2015, 09:54 PM
OKC fans assholes tightening up. Real tight now with AD back for the Pels and KD out....

SpurPadre
03-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Wasn't going to happen anyway. We're tied head to head, but the LAC have a better conference record.

Oh yeah, I misread the Conference Record standings.

timtonymanu
03-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Damn it, Thunder, you had one job.

Interesting that Memphis lost tonight though. Honestly, the 2nd seed isn't far from reach.

mystargtr34
03-11-2015, 10:31 PM
I would like a Houston loss tonight against Portland.. i think the Blazers have a tougher schedule remaining so they're more likely to fall back to the Spurs.. obviously for the Spurs to get the 3rd seed they both need to come back.

Ditty
03-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Want Thunder to stay around that 8th seed. Clippers and Blazers will eventually fall so lets go Blazers!

RD2191
03-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Regardless of seeding,these are the best teams in the West,in order.

1.Warriors
2.Clippers
3.Spurs
4.Thunder
5.Grizzlies
6.Rockets
7.Blazers
8.Mavs
clippers at 2? lol

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 11:02 PM
clippers at 2? lol

Right now Clippers are a little better than us.

FlAVaK
03-12-2015, 02:35 AM

.635 (40-23) > .631 (41-24) :rolleyes

Cry Havoc
03-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Right now Clippers are a little better than us.

No way are the Clippers the 2nd best team in the West. They aren't built for a sustained playoff push, as evidenced by their never reaching the WCF. They won't this year, either.

Golden State is the only team out West that's been consistently impressive this season, and I'd still take the Spurs over GSW in a playoff series.