PDA

View Full Version : Should New Orleans be re-built?

Clandestino
09-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Should New Orleans be rebuilt?
Yes, it's an iconic American city

24.4%

No, the location is just too vulnerable to justify the cost and time

30.7%

In part, but not the way it was

33.6%

It's too early to decide

11.3%

so far, these are the numbers on mysa.com

KEDA
09-04-2005, 08:45 AM
no

Clandestino
09-04-2005, 08:47 AM
that is what i voted...

jochhejaam
09-04-2005, 09:02 AM
In part, but not the way it was

33.6%

^^^I'd probably go with this assuming that there are parts of N.O. that are not suseptible to catastrophic flooding. I thought I heard that 80% of N.O. was underwater? That leaves 20% almost immune to the worst-case scenario catastrophe.

Spurfect
09-04-2005, 09:39 AM
I know that the people from New Orleans take great pride in their city and culture, but they should not rebuild it. Why spend billions of dollars on it, only for it to happen again, next time worse? it doesnt really make sense.

Spurminator
09-04-2005, 04:57 PM
It needs to be torn down and raised to sea level. People are going to migrate there anyway because of the location. Steps need to be taken to make sure those people's children and grandchildren aren't in danger of a repeat disaster 50 years from now.

timvp
09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Raise it to sea level and upgrade the levees, storm walls and such. It's in too much of a strategic location to think they wouldn't rebuild it.

SpursWoman
09-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Raise it to sea level and upgrade the levees, storm walls and such. It's in too much of a strategic location to think they wouldn't rebuild it.

Yeah....the best we can do it try to make it safer. Too prime a region. :fro

spurster
09-04-2005, 05:07 PM
It's absurd not to rebuild. A port in that area is vital to the economy.

It's also absurd to rebuild below sea level. They need to have a long-term program of filling in the bowl.

HB22inSA
09-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Do you guys understand what you are proposing? "Lifting" an entire city!!!

Not going to happen. Of course they will rebuild it.

If the levees wouldn't have given way, it's an entirely different story.

You don't just abandon a city.

Spam
09-04-2005, 05:44 PM
If we build it they will come.
Of course we rebuild but better, stronger and safer.

clubalien
09-04-2005, 05:46 PM
where will we relocate mardi gras? key west?

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 06:04 PM
That leaves 20% almost immune to the worst-case scenario catastrophe.

The crazy thing is, THIS wasn;t even the WORST case scenario. Had the northwest section of CAT 5 hit New Orleans and not the northeast section than 20 ft of ALL od New Orleans would be underwater right now.

AlamoSpursFan
09-04-2005, 06:36 PM

If they raised it to sea level, they wouldn't need the levees, I don't think...

Mr. Ash
09-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Sounds like fantasy, but it's been done before. Chicago was lifted about 10ft in the mid 19th century. Obviously, modern NO is a completely different sotry, but many of the monster buildings downtown didn't really get that much water, if at all, and wouldn't need to be raised. I 100% agree that a much improved levy system is a billion times cheaper, and the right choice. Areas that are destroyed should be raised before they are rebuilt.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 06:57 PM
The thing is, this wasn't the worst it could have been.

I don't think doing thing will make New Orleans completely safe. Nothing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 06:58 PM

Not going to happen. Of course they will rebuild it.

After the 1900 hurricane, Galveston raised the entire city 9 feet, higher in some places.

Of course present day NO is a little bigger, but it will be done. Either raise the city or build double redundant levees and elevated pumping stations.

hussker
09-04-2005, 07:22 PM
No to NO

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 09:10 PM
tousim is its major money earner, if the french quarter is beyond repairable they should just move the city

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 09:14 PM
tousim is its major money earner, if the french quarter is beyond repairable they should just move the city

Actually try being the largest deep water port in the United States, not tourism.

Horry For 3!
09-04-2005, 09:24 PM
I am sure it will be rebuilt but I don't know if I would rebuild it. Well it is full of traditions but they're all gone now, the town is gone.

Clandestino
09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
No to NO

that'd be a bad ass t-shirt!

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:23 PM
that'd be a bad ass t-shirt!

Thanks Clandestino!!!

GO BIG RED!!

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Actually try being the largest deep water port in the United States, not tourism.

(Hussker point to nose and at Aggie HoopsFan) "BINGO"

Tek_XX
09-04-2005, 10:44 PM
How do you not rebuild a major American city? It will be rebuilt because people will return. Hopefully they can take steps to make it as safe as it possible can be.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Well it is full of traditions but they're all gone now, the town is gone.

Geezus, it's not about the traditions. Do you realize how much of the United States economy runs through the Port of New Orleans?

The average joe only knows New Orleans for boobs and beads. Anyone in the business world knows it for oil and for distribution of goods to pretty much the whole midwestern U.S.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Geezus, it's not about the traditions. Do you realize how much of the United States economy runs through the Port of New Orleans?

The average joe only knows New Orleans for boobs and beads. Anyone in the business world knows it for oil and for distribution of goods to pretty much the whole midwestern U.S.

(AGAIN...Hussker point to nose and at Aggie HoopsFan) "BINGO"

Vashner
09-04-2005, 11:54 PM
New Venice :0..

Put everything on stilts... and have lot of boats..

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Hopefully after this, steps will be taken to distribute that load a little more evenly throughout the country.

If we learn any lessons from this tragedy.