PDA

View Full Version : Leonard is playing as well defensively as Westbrook is offensively

Horse
03-10-2015, 10:48 PM
He gets in players heads. Tonight he was ridiculous

apalisoc_9
03-10-2015, 10:50 PM
DPOY but Jordan will win it just like when camby won it over Tim...

I should mention that Bogut is the most important defensive piece in the league right now though..DPOY material too.

BillMc
03-10-2015, 10:56 PM
If Kawhi doesn't at least get first team all defense, it'll be a travesty.

Arcadian
03-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Yep. He's the defensive MVP.

NBA = fucked.

wildchild
03-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Kawhi excels as a versatile defender and he's one of the most disruptive in the league.

SpursFan86
03-10-2015, 11:13 PM
DPOY but Jordan will win it just like when camby won it over Tim...

I should mention that Bogut is the most important defensive piece in the league right now though..DPOY material too.

Disagree. GS still maintained an elite defense even when he missed a good chunk of games. He's played less than 40% of their total minutes this year, and they still have a 102.8 DRTG when he's not on the court...would still be good enough for a top 10 defense.

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing defender and definitely one of the best ones in the league. Just don't think he's the most important piece and wouldn't consider him DPOTY contender due to how few minutes he plays. Being on the court more --> more opportunity to impact games.

As for Kawhi, he's been otherworldly lately on D. Playing like a DPOTY candidate for sure. I have no doubts that he's the most impactful (is that a word?) perimeter defender in the league at the moment.

Malik Hairston
03-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Zach Lowe said he would have him as DPOY if he hadn't missed so many games IIRC..

Unfortunately, it's a hype-based award, and an above average defender like Jordan will get it because Tom Rivers is campaigning hard..

unleashbaynes
03-11-2015, 12:28 AM
5 fuckin steals.

MI21
03-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Kawhi really is one of those rare perimeter defenders that fills up the stats sheet (stls, blks, rebs) but also plays great man to man defense and team defense.

The NBA is littered with guys who are pretty good at one or the other, there might be better standalone isolation defenders, but there is no one else that combines every aspect of defense like Kawhi does, tbh.

SpursFan86
03-11-2015, 01:26 AM
Zach Lowe said he would have him as DPOY if he hadn't missed so many games IIRC..

Unfortunately, it's a hype-based award, and an above average defender like Jordan will get it because Tom Rivers is campaigning hard..

Even if he hadn't missed so many games though...do you really think Bogut has such a huge impact in those 23 mpg that it warrants him getting DPOTY? Like I said, their defense is still pretty great even when he's off the court (which is quite a bit). I have no problem with someone saying he's one of, maybe even THE, best defender while he's on the court...but minutes played should isn't something you can just overlook. Would you rather have a guy giving you 10/10 defense for 25 mpg, or a guy giving you 9/10 defense for 35 mpg? Which guy is having more impact on this team?

Malik Hairston
03-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Even if he hadn't missed so many games though...do you really think Bogut has such a huge impact in those 23 mpg that it warrants him getting DPOTY? Like I said, their defense is still pretty great even when he's off the court (which is quite a bit). I have no problem with someone saying he's one of, maybe even THE, best defender while he's on the court...but minutes played should isn't something you can just overlook. Would you rather have a guy giving you 10/10 defense for 25 mpg, or a guy giving you 9/10 defense for 35 mpg? Which guy is having more impact on this team?

No, I don't think Bogut is DPOY, he wouldn't even win it on his own team IMO..

And I agree with your point, I said the same thing about Marc Gasol last year when people here said Tim should win it over him..you can't ignore the disparity in minutes..

007nites
03-11-2015, 04:35 AM
Kawhi is officially leading the NBA in steals now.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-11-2015, 07:01 AM
The new Scottie Pippen of this Generation. Leonard should be at least 2nd team All-defense this year for forwards.

exstatic
03-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Kawhi is the NBA equivalent of an NFL shutdown corner. It's just really dangerous to pass or even handle the ball in his area. He takes whole areas of the court out of play.

bklynspursfan
03-11-2015, 07:16 AM
I disagree, Kawhi plays defense pretty efficiently and it usually results in wins.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-11-2015, 07:26 AM
If Kawhi doesn't at least get first team all defense, it'll be a travesty.

He might not get 1st team because of games missed this year. But if he continues to play like this til the end of the season, he probably will get it.

exstatic
03-11-2015, 07:29 AM
He might not get 1st team because of games missed this year. But if he continues to play like this til the end of the season, he probably will get it.

There's a first team vacancy from last year: PG13, who will have missed WAY more games than Kawhi if he returns this year.

Raven
03-11-2015, 07:40 AM
he's a guaranteed 1 team with draymond green, that much is a given. who will win the dpoy is a farily different story.

Fireball
03-11-2015, 07:50 AM
He gambled a little too much, but I cannot argue with the results. And as Bill and Sean said during the game ... he learns very quickly to adapt to all the different players he has to guard and that will only improve in the coming years.

Leading the league in STL should make him ALL-NBA 1st team ...

SupremeGuy
03-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Kawhi is the NBA equivalent of an NFL shutdown corner. It's just really dangerous to pass or even handle the ball in his area. He takes whole areas of the court out of play.Great analogy, tbh. :toast

Horse
03-11-2015, 12:48 PM
I know there have been great defensive players that maybe I haven't followed that close but I can't remember anyone this dominant as he's been last couple games. You almost feel bad for whoever he's guarding like it's not fair.

AFBlue
03-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Agreed. Doesn't matter if he wins the award or not, if he keeps up this level of defensive play, the Spurs are gonna go DEEP in the playoffs.

Chinook
03-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Kawhi is the NBA equivalent of an NFL shutdown corner. It's just really dangerous to pass or even handle the ball in his area. He takes whole areas of the court out of play.

I do think there is something to a comparison of Leonard/Green to Sherman/Thomas on the Seahawks. Leonard is roasting players who go at him, and Green protects the paint better than any wing in the league.

lefty20
03-11-2015, 01:31 PM
I disagree, Kawhi plays defense pretty efficiently and it usually results in wins.

This, tbh.

$pursDynasty
03-11-2015, 03:06 PM
speaking of which, if KD is still out the next time we play the Thunderefs, I would really like to see DPOY Kiwi directly face off with MVP contender Westbrick. irresistible force vs immovable object.

MateoNeygro
03-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Well done.

Darius Bieber
03-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Leonard + prime Bruce Bowen would shut down Durant and Westbrook tbh.

letmk
03-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Tomorrow is a big stage for Kawhi to make a case for DPOY as LeBron is rounding into MVP form. And the Spurs have two more games against OKC and Rockets respectively. If Kawhi can slow down those MVP candidates and help the Spurs win, the media will take notice.

cjw
03-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Tomorrow is a big stage for Kawhi to make a case for DPOY as LeBron is rounding into MVP form. And the Spurs have two more games against OKC and Rockets respectively. If Kawhi can slow down those MVP candidates and help the Spurs win, the media will take notice.

Harden will put Kawhi into foul trouble quickly based on how he plays. It'd be smart to have Green cover Harden as well with Kawhi playing some passing lanes. I love Green but sometimes he loses his man on the perimeter.

dabom
03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Harden will put Kawhi into foul trouble quickly based on how he plays. It'd be smart to have Green cover Harden as well with Kawhi playing some passing lanes. I love Green but sometimes he loses his man on the perimeter.

We need green on harden. Have kawhi closer to the boards and help out our bigs.

dabom
03-11-2015, 07:20 PM
If green gets in foul trouble early that's fine but don't waste those fouls on kawhi. You know harden is going to get the calls.

Brazil
03-11-2015, 07:22 PM
:lol so now steals are important for Spurs fans... Thought it was an overrated stat

dont remove anything from Leonard great def just found funny to see weather fans

dabom
03-11-2015, 07:24 PM
:lol so now steals are important for Spurs fans... Thought it was an overrated stat

dont remove anything from Leonard great def just found funny to see weather fans

Steals is great when you know the guy is beast defensively and sound.

dabom
03-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Not that tony parker reaching to get burned. :lmao

Might not be good for him to gamble like that.

Brazil
03-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Steals is great when you know the guy is beast defensively and sound.

:lol rookie troll

steals were useless gamble not long time ago when discussing Spurs def and Bruce and how dude like cp3 was overrated because of steals stat but now that one spur is great at its an awesome stat

:rolleyes

And dude :lmao at your trollin

slurp slurp dabom is the new dominant force :lmao really ?

dabom
03-11-2015, 07:35 PM
:lol rookie troll

steals were useless gamble not long time ago when discussing Spurs def and Bruce and how dude like cp3 was overrated because of steals stat but now that one spur is great at its an awesome stat

:rolleyes

And dude :lmao at your trollin

slurp slurp dabom is the new dominant force :lmao really ?

Defensive much. You sound scared. :lmao

Parker does bad. Brazil almost commits suicide. Parker does good. Let's visit ST. :lmao

Brazil
03-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Defensive much. You sound scared. :lmao

Parker does bad. Brazil almost commits suicide. Parker does good. Let's visit ST. :lmao

Really dude ? :lol

try your weak sauce with somebody else

:lmao dabom troll new dominant force :lmao

dabom
03-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Really dude ? :lol

try your weak sauce with somebody else

:lmao dabom troll new dominant force :lmao

Lets all hope parker doesn't reinjure his hammy for Brazil's sake. :lmao

Brazil
03-12-2015, 04:24 AM
Lets all hope parker doesn't reinjure his hammy for Brazil's sake. :lmao

You cute :lol

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 05:01 AM
You cute :lol

imho it's just refreshing to see steals tbh because they lead to fastbreaks/dunks which give lots of momentum. It's not like Kawhi needs them to prove to anyone that he's a defensive beast

unleashbaynes
03-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Leonard + prime Bruce Bowen would shut down Durant and Westbrook tbh.

Leonard + prime Danny Green DID shut down Durant and Westbrook.

Knoxxx
03-12-2015, 10:47 AM
imho it's just refreshing to see steals tbh because they lead to fastbreaks/dunks which give lots of momentum. It's not like Kawhi needs them to prove to anyone that he's a defensive beast

I must stop for a moment and compliment you on your pictures.

Can someone post the video of that monster two hand jam Leonard had against Raps fairly early Q1?

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 10:58 AM
I must stop for a moment and compliment you on your pictures.

Can someone post the video of that monster two hand jam Leonard had against Raps fairly early Q1?

:tu

http://gospu.rs/1Agt5Wt

ginobilized
03-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Leonard plays the passing lanes so well, his gambles are very calculated and well-timed. But the way he just digs down and takes the ball off the dribble is flat out nasty. Those should count as two steals because he is maintaining defensive position and pressure if he doesn't get the ball....which he almost always does. That is demoralizing to players and gives the team such a lift. Tonight should be a fun one!

Horse
03-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Leonard plays the passing lanes so well, his gambles are very calculated and well-timed. But the way he just digs down and takes the ball off the dribble is flat out nasty. Those should count as two steals because he is maintaining defensive position and pressure if he doesn't get the ball....which he almost always does. That is demoralizing to players and gives the team such a lift. Tonight should be a fun one!

Hope he comes out as aggresive as he did against cleveland.

therealtruth
03-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Steals are great when you can disrupt the other team offensively. When they're more worried about where you are and if you're going to steal the ball you've done your job. Same thing with blocks. Alot of times it's the psychological impact that is more damaging. That's what Jordan and Pippen used to do.