PDA

View Full Version : Fratetry

Nbadan
03-10-2015, 11:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_oylhCUYAAIABT.jpg

The nation this week was shocked when video surfaced showing University of Oklahoma students, members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, chanting a racist song. "There will never be a n****r at SAE," the members pledged.

Now, the Sun Times reports that racist chant may be linked to another fraternity at the University of Texas, Austin.

One user of the popular social media site Reddit posted a photo of a set of confidential rules for pledges from Phi Gamma Delta (known as Fiji) at the Univ. of Texas.

Those rules, while they include "no drugs," and "Respect the Ladies," also include offensive ones like "No interracial dating," "no Mexicans," and – in all caps – "NO FAGETRY."

-snip-

UT's Phi Gamma Delta frat, in addition to this latest unsettling display of racism and homophobia, was the scene just a month ago of a racist party, where the theme was reportedly "Border Patrol." Students called it "Western."

Read more: http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/texas_frat_bans_fagetry_and_interracial_dating

angrydude
03-10-2015, 11:50 PM
Looking at the other "rules", those hardly seem like the most offensive ones. TBH It only said no mexicans, not "no blacks" so they're probably safe. Mexicans don't have a very good outrage machine.

What the hell do they have against awkward conversations?

Those OU boys are going to win a big payday from the university for getting expelled though.

MultiTroll
03-11-2015, 02:07 AM
5. No working out.
?

ChumpDumper
03-11-2015, 02:08 AM
That term will never catch on.

DarrinS
03-11-2015, 07:01 AM
Lol, no douchebags

Lol, fraternities

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 08:38 AM
A Reddit post is not a reliable source of information.

Blake
03-11-2015, 09:21 AM
The Fiji letter looks fake to me but who knows.

a usual cardinal sin of a frat member is to refer to his frat as a frat. It's a "fraternity". You don't call our country a "****". And so on...

Blake
03-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Lol i guess we can't say **** here. Kunt i guess.

The Reckoning
03-11-2015, 09:31 AM
i can't believe people are surprised by this. did anyone here ever party in college?

DarrinS
03-11-2015, 09:34 AM
i can't believe people are surprised by this. did anyone here ever party in college?

Not with frat boy faggots

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 09:36 AM

All the time. It was great. But maybe we were weird allowing minorities and gays into our parties and all.

I guess I missed out on the exclusive white male sausage parties.

unleashbaynes
03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
The Fiji letter looks fake to me but who knows.

a usual cardinal sin of a frat member is to refer to his frat as a frat. It's a "fraternity". You don't call our country a "****". And so on...

Lmao, fratters are such fuckin tube steak mother fuckers.

The Reckoning
03-11-2015, 09:49 AM
All the time. It was great. But maybe we were weird allowing minorities and gays into our parties and all.

I guess I missed out on the exclusive white male sausage parties.

yeah west campus is notorious for douchey racist fratters. we avoided them for that reason alone, which is why i can't believe people are just now surprised by this. i'm all for outing them though. these kids need a serious reality check.

and lol at getting all defensive thinking i went to frat parties. chill.

TheSanityAnnex
03-11-2015, 10:39 AM
What exactly can you wear at this frat?

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 10:46 AM
and lol at getting all defensive thinking i went to frat parties. chill.

Not defensive, your post just seemed to imply these sorts of requirements were common at college parties you went to. Glad that's not the case.

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 10:57 AM
‘Morning Joe’ blames rap music for the Oklahoma SAE chants.http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/11/morning-joe-blames-rap-music-for-the-oklahoma-sae-chants-not-quite/

/facepalm

Winehole23
03-11-2015, 11:00 AM
severing ties with SAE makes sense, but OU expelling two SAE members for racist comments is facially unconstitutional. first amendment and all that.

boutons_deux
03-11-2015, 11:10 AM
‘Morning Joe’ blames rap music for the Oklahoma SAE chants.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/11/morning-joe-blames-rap-music-for-the-oklahoma-sae-chants-not-quite/

/facepalm

MJ's ratings are so low, he's at risk of losing the show, now that there is new mgmt, IIRC, at NBC.

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 11:28 AM
severing ties with SAE makes sense, but OU expelling two SAE members for racist comments is facially unconstitutional. first amendment and all that.

I kind of lean towards the reverse, actually. Based on OU's Student Rights and Responsibilities, which these kids agreed to upon enrollment, I think they have every right to remove them and protect the reputation of the institution.

Meanwhile, while I'm sure there are a lot fewer innocents in SAE than what most of them are claiming, I think they should have been given a chance to disassociate themselves from the racism in the video by making a bold statement that it's unacceptable to them and removing the students themselves.

Blake
03-11-2015, 01:13 PM
What exactly can you wear at this frat?

Lol looks like naked is ok. Preferred even.

Blake
03-11-2015, 01:18 PM

mmmm. It'd be a fascinating lawsuit by the expelled kids and even though they might have grounds, I'm not sure they would win.

I agree that expulsion is too extreme though.

Blake
03-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Well this guy agrees it's unconstitutional:

"....... The impulse to expel is understandable, but the decision is on constitutionally questionable ground,” said Ken Paulson, the President of the First Amendment Center and Dean of the College of Mass Communication at Middle Tennessee State University. “A public university is subject to the free speech guarantees of the First Amendment and may not punish students because....."

http://time.com/3739268/sigma-alpha-epsilon-university-of-oklahoma-expel-free-speech/

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Well this guy agrees it's unconstitutional:

"....... The impulse to expel is understandable, but the decision is on constitutionally questionable ground,” said Ken Paulson, the President of the First Amendment Center and Dean of the College of Mass Communication at Middle Tennessee State University. “A public university is subject to the free speech guarantees of the First Amendment and may not punish students because....."

http://time.com/3739268/sigma-alpha-epsilon-university-of-oklahoma-expel-free-speech/

Yeah, while I definitely don't have his legal training, I completely disagree with him.

From the article:
The university’s Student Rights and Responsibilities Code’s (http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/studentlife/documents/AllCampusStudentCode.pdf) section on “abusive conduct” describes it as “unwelcome conduct that is sufficiently severe and pervasive that it alters the conditions of education or employment and creates an environment that a reasonable person would find intimidating, harassing or humiliating.”''

I'm reasonably sure a black guy sitting on that bus would have felt pretty intimidated, harassed and humiliated.

Paulson's explanation:
“It appears the university is trying to recast free speech as conduct, characterizing it as creating a hostile educational environment,” Paulson said. “If that’s upheld, any politically incorrect statement made on campus and amplified by social media could be punished.”

Pretty ludicrous slippery slope. A song about a group excluding black people from a school fraternity and calling for them to be hung from trees goes well beyond "politically incorrect."

Blake
03-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Yeah, while I definitely don't have his legal training, I completely disagree with him.

From the article:
The university’s Student Rights and Responsibilities Code’s (http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/studentlife/documents/AllCampusStudentCode.pdf) section on “abusive conduct” describes it as “unwelcome conduct that is sufficiently severe and pervasive that it alters the conditions of education or employment and creates an environment that a reasonable person would find intimidating, harassing or humiliating.”''

I'm reasonably sure a black guy sitting on that bus would have felt pretty intimidated, harassed and humiliated.

How did the incident alter the conditions of education?

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 01:53 PM
How did the incident alter the conditions of education?

I don't know how the law would interpret "altering the conditions of education" but in my opinion, it could be argued by OU that, left alone, the incident could create a significant racial divide and lead to intimidation on both sides. Inaction by the school would be perceived as a giant "fuck you" to minorities at OU.

The Reckoning
03-11-2015, 01:53 PM
lol I felt pretty uncomfortable sitting in the Malcolm X lounge tbh

Blake
03-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I don't know how the law would interpret "altering the conditions of education" but in my opinion, it could be argued by OU that, left alone, the incident could create a significant racial divide and lead to intimidation on both sides. Inaction by the school would be perceived as a giant "fuck you" to minorities at OU.

I don't think anyone is saying OU shouldn't have taken action. What's being argued is that the punishment is too severe and might be unconstitutional.

If OU can't conclusively show that conditions for education were altered, then i think they could have a problem.

Spurminator
03-11-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't think anyone is saying OU shouldn't have taken action. What's being argued is that the punishment is too severe and might be unconstitutional.

If OU can't conclusively show that conditions for education were altered, then i think they could have a problem.

I agree that it's too severe and it's not the action I would have taken. I'd be surprised if it was illegal/unconstitutional though. We'll see.

angrydude
03-11-2015, 04:51 PM
The university's code of conduct can say whatever it wants. It doesn't matter if the code of conduct is unconstitutional.

This article is pretty much all you need to know about it. SCOTUS opinions are pretty clear on the matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/03/10/no-a-public-university-may-not-expel-students-for-racist-speech/

The writer is a VERY well respected 1st amendment professor and legal commentator.

The Reckoning
03-11-2015, 08:55 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/oklahoma-stands-tall-against-racism-weak-against-violence-031015

apparently at ou words hurt worse than sticks and stones

Wild Cobra
03-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Why are you bringing up 2007 shit?

Blake
03-11-2015, 11:31 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/oklahoma-stands-tall-against-racism-weak-against-violence-031015

apparently at ou words hurt worse than sticks and stones

Excellent piece.

Blake
03-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Why are you bringing up 2007 shit?

Wut