PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green Poll

100%duncan
03-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Will he be as effective if he was on another contender? Meaning his 3pt shooting and elite defense will still be the same. A lot of posters here think that he is only a product of Pop's system, I call bullshit on that. Pop may have given him his break, but it was up to him to make the most out of it.

cjw
03-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Pardon the cliché, but defense wins championships

Raven
03-11-2015, 08:36 PM
he'd have far better numbers, i tell you that.

Juggity
03-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Yeah, Danny could fit anywhere. Dude's a perfect 3&D guy, which any team in the league could use.

K...
03-11-2015, 08:50 PM
DEJAUN BLAIR GOT FAT AND HHAS NO KNEES

K...
03-11-2015, 08:53 PM
seriously. Stop the lame comparisons. How about why did Captain Jack become become Captain Jack after leaving the spurs? How about Beno urdih still being in the league?

There is nothing special about the spurs system except that shooters get more open looks and team defense is a require asset. Spurs may have the best system but all nba systems have the 3 ball (except maybe Byron scott's lakers) and perimeter defense,

K...
03-11-2015, 08:54 PM
BTW, whoever voted no, explain yourselfs.........................

peacemaker885
03-11-2015, 09:01 PM
I dont beleive so. I think DG needs Pop, just like he alluded to in his latest interview.

benstanfield
03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
You could make the case that he'd be Thabo Sefalosha if not for good coaching keeping him in line and putting him in good spots. But really, short of maybe Klay Thompson he's a top 3 3/D SG in the league. Like Draymond Green, the better your team is the more $$ he's worth. Unfortunately, players like that tend to get swooped up by middling teams pretending to want to compete. I could see him chilling doing nothing at SF while Bledsoe blitzes the lane in a Suns jersey next year.

If the Spurs can get long-term deals done for both members of Wingstop this offseason they'll be in a really good place when the cap spikes in 2016/17 tbh.

Andthentherewas21
03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
As good as he has been with the Spurs, no. He's been able to flourish because of his role and Pop's strict enforcement to it. That's not to say that he wouldnt be able to fit in with another team and be a positive contributor. He's an NBA caliber player with or without the Spurs. But its being estimated hes going to get 8-10mil+ a season on his next contract. For that, teams will expect more playmaking/attacking off the dribble/ect Areas where he has been inconsistent at best), especially if someone else goes down with an injury. On the other hand the Spurs are more plug and play and have allowed Danny to work within his strengths. There might be 1-2 other teams that could do that but not many.

Malik Hairston
03-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Spurs fans seem to believe that this team is the only team that creates shots for role players, it's amazing:lol..

Not sure why people always point to Neal, btw, he doesn't have anything in common with Green outside of shooting..Neal really isn't a different player than he was in San Antonio, too, people just seem to remember the Finals series and forget how bad he played in his last year with the team..

If he had joined a team with just an average offense, he probably would have maintained his shooting numbers, but he chose to join Charlotte, one of the shittiest offensive teams in the league..

diego
03-11-2015, 09:12 PM
he could fit anywhere, but depending on the role his numbers would change, for starters most teams dont distribute minutes like the spurs do. his skills wouldnt disappear on another team, but if asked to do much more I could see him struggling to take on the extra load, though to be honest it seems like he is still improving a little with his penetration and passing. A couple years ago i would have dismissed the idea of him being able to do more on another team, but he's been showing that he can be an impact player at the highest level- it would be a huge loss for the spurs if he left, and in part because of that you can bet teams are going to throw him juicier offers than the spurs will.

elemento
03-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Honestly, he can play defense and hit open 3-pointers anywhere. And he is elite on both aspects.

People shouldn't blame the Spurs if they know how to play a guy to his strengths.

Ask him to be a go-to player offensively and he will struggle (much like what happened to Ariza in the pos-Lakers era when he went to the Rockets). Ask him to play D and hit open 3s and he will be perfectly fine, in San Antonio or anywhere else.

SpurPadre
03-11-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure Mr. Whataburger should be named here since we made him look like Charles Barkley last year in Rd. 1.

Malik Hairston
03-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Stephen Jackson- better elsewhere
George Hill- same or better
Ian Mahinmi- better
Blair- worse (although he killed the Spurs in the playoffs last yes :)
Mason- worse
Bogans- same or better
Jefferson- same or better after leaving
Belinelli- same as before joining the Spurs
Neal- worse
Alonzo Gee- better
Anthony Tolliver -better

It's a mixed bag, most players aren't affected by the switch, outside of looking better when playing around better players, which isn't exclusive to the Spurs:lol..

K...
03-11-2015, 10:02 PM
some of those guys are old (bogans, jeff) they had no chance to get better on any team. Other guys like Tolliver and mahinimi just had more time to work on their game and made modest improvement.

If the spurs wanted to develop some of their young talent they could have, but roster spots are scarce, some guys just aren't spurs material, and pop still had an affinity for old vets up to 2013.

Spurs should get credit for developing Mills, kawhi, and green. but those guys are obviously special and your run of the mill athlete won't be as easy to coach into a true player. That's why it's so fun to watch Brett Brown have to sort through that grab bag of picks that Hinkie bought him.

K...
03-11-2015, 10:05 PM
One of the myths i'd like to bust is that Green still needs to be coached. He's not young anymore. He's been a starter for several years. At some point you have to believe he's matured. Add to that the fact that few teams run sets as complicated as the spurs and i think Green would be fine with a limited role and with a less skilled coach.

I mean, half the league has a spurs coach now so be real.

HI-FI
03-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Honestly, he can play defense and hit open 3-pointers anywhere. And he is elite on both aspects.

People shouldn't blame the Spurs if they know how to play a guy to his strengths.

Ask him to be a go-to player offensively and he will struggle (much like what happened to Ariza in the pos-Lakers era when he went to the Rockets). Ask him to play D and hit open 3s and he will be perfectly fine, in San Antonio or anywhere else.
this.

Green's ability to stay in lockstep with his guy won't change if he goes somewhere else, but that was probably why Pop/RC wanted him in the first place.

timtonymanu
03-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Absolutely. He's an elite 3 point shooter and an elite defender at this point. He would be a great fit in OKC, Cleveland, Memphis, Portland, etc.

Neal and Blair were very flawed players even when they were with the Spurs, which is probably why they haven't found a good situation since they left.

I expect Green to be pursued like crazy in the offseason.

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Stephen Jackson- better elsewhere
George Hill- same or better
Ian Mahinmi- better
Blair- worse (although he killed the Spurs in the playoffs last yes :)
Mason- worse
Bogans- same or better
Jefferson- same or better after leaving
Belinelli- same as before joining the Spurs
Neal- worse
Alonzo Gee- better
Anthony Tolliver -better

It's a mixed bag, most players aren't affected by the switch, outside of looking better when playing around better players, which isn't exclusive to the Spurs:lol..

Also, no one on that list can equal the value of Danny Green. Elite 3pt shooting, and defense.

Vash StampedE
03-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Absolutely. He's an elite 3 point shooter and an elite defender at this point. He would be a great fit in OKC, Cleveland, Memphis, Portland, etc.

Neal and Blair were very flawed players even when they were with the Spurs, which is probably why they haven't found a good situation since they left.

I expect Green to be pursued like crazy in the offseason.
Agree. Any player who can be as deadly a 3 point shooter as the likes of Curry, Korver, and at the same time play extremely good defense will always find a team to play for and get significant playing time.

Given that many of us have realized the value of Danny Green to the team, I just hope his agent doesn't check SpursTalk.

MateoNeygro
03-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Just to be Devil's Advocate. He was on the 09-10 Cavs that were "Contenders" and played in 20 games. Literally did nothing.

Of course he's improved greatly...But with what team and coach did he do that???

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Just to be Devil's Advocate. He was on the 09-10 Cavs that were "Contenders" and played in 20 games. Literally did nothing.

Of course he's improved greatly...But with what team and coach did he do that???

There's no argument that Pop made him tbh but rather now, as an elite 3&D guy, can he be as good with other contenders

MateoNeygro
03-12-2015, 10:47 AM
There's no argument that Pop made him tbh but rather now, as an elite 3&D guy, can he be as good with other contenders

I just don't think so. I still think he will be a great 3 and D guy, I just don't think it will be the same. Maybe I'm just in denile about him leaving. I hope he doesn't.

Old School 44
03-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Yes...but depending on the contender, I don't know if you can say "still as good". Go to Atlanta, to someone who knows how to utilize his strengths and someone Danny is familiar with, no change. I know Neal had his moments with the Spurs, but Green is a much better all around player than Neal or Blair.

Chinook
03-12-2015, 12:06 PM

He was a rookie and put up good per-minute stats on that team. But he also played the same position as Cleveland's best player, and Lebron didn't really allow the Cavs to develop anybody his final years there (or even now). Actually, rookies rarely play on contenders. Look at Anderson now. He can't get minutes, but he certainly doesn't seem like a bust.

Chinook
03-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Yes...but depending on the contender, I don't know if you can say "still as good". Go to Atlanta, to someone who knows how to utilize his strengths and someone Danny is familiar with, no change. I know Neal had his moments with the Spurs, but Green is a much better all around player than Neal or Blair.

I think he can improve offensively if the team actually worked him into the offense more. Atlanta does that with Korver.

MateoNeygro
03-12-2015, 12:43 PM
He was a rookie and put up good per-minute stats on that team. But he also played the same position as Cleveland's best player, and Lebron didn't really allow the Cavs to develop anybody his final years there (or even now). Actually, rookies rarely play on contenders. Look at Anderson now. He can't get minutes, but he certainly doesn't seem like a bust.

Different players but do you think Anderson has a higher or lower ceiling than Danny boy?

Chinook
03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Different players but do you think Anderson has a higher or lower ceiling than Danny boy?

Toughy. Anderson definitely has a lower floor, because unlike Green there's a major question to whether he can physically play in the NBA. I don't think Anderson's ceiling can be known until he really gets a chance to be the guy in a unit. He'll never be the off-ball player Green is, and he may never get a chance to be an on-ball guy for a team.

MateoNeygro
03-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Toughy. Anderson definitely has a lower floor, because unlike Green there's a major question to whether he can physically play in the NBA. I don't think Anderson's ceiling can be known until he really gets a chance to be the guy in a unit. He'll never be the off-ball player Green is, and he may never get a chance to be an on-ball guy for a team.

Well said. Good insight. Seeing Danny dunk is always an awful sight. He looks so awkward.

Old School 44
03-12-2015, 01:19 PM
I think he can improve offensively if the team actually worked him into the offense more. Atlanta does that with Korver.
True...I remember in the Finals Van Gundy commenting about Green making plays off the dribble when he was run off the three point line. He said something like, "I've never seen him do that". If Danny can improve his handles and do more of that, it would just add that much more to his game and the team.