PDA

View Full Version : Asked after the demolition of Toronto if he considers himself a DPOY?

dabom
03-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Asked after the demolition of Toronto if he considers himself a Defensive Player of the Year candidate, the typically reticent Leonard lit up.
“Yeah, most definitely,” said Leonard, who also owns five consecutive 20-point scoring games. “There aren’t too many guys who can defend the one (point guard) through four (power forward) and stay in front of them and really bother them. We’ll see what happens.”

Thursday night, with James back in the building for the first time since June, Leonard will have a chance to prove it.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Matchup-with-James-gives-Spurs-Leonard-golden-6128753.php

Kawhi can get the DPOY if he destroys Lebron. Here's to hoping. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::w orthy:

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 12:33 AM
Meh, it's a joke of an award anyway

benstanfield
03-12-2015, 12:38 AM
Deandre Jordan will get it

Malik Hairston
03-12-2015, 12:44 AM
DeAndre Jordan is a lock because it's a hype-based award and Tom Rivers has been campaigning hard for him..Pop will discuss Kawhi's defensive impact, but there's no way he would ever publicly campaign for a player to win a meaningless award like the pathetic Tom Rivers, tbh:lol(or else Tim might have a few DPOYs that he should have won)..

Realistically, Jordan is a good defender, but nowhere near DPOY-caliber, tbh..Draymond Green and Kawhi should both be ahead of him, and even Duncan, too..

ChumpDumper
03-12-2015, 12:57 AM
Kawhi is not tall enough to win.

MarCowMar
03-12-2015, 12:57 AM
The DPOY has been a joke of an award for a long time. It basically goes to the player who swats the most balls into the stands.

Noah
Gasol
Chandler
Howard
Howard
Howard
Garnett
Camby
Wallace
Wallace
Artest
Wallace
Wallace
Mutumbo

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 01:02 AM
Bowen and Duncan not having at least 1 is proof enough that this award is for dumbasses

MarioSpeedwagon
03-12-2015, 01:34 AM
The DPOY has been a joke of an award for a long time. It basically goes to the player who swats the most balls into the stands.

Noah
Gasol
Chandler
Howard
Howard
Howard
Garnett
Camby
Wallace
Wallace
Artest
Wallace
Wallace
Mutumbo
Most of the guys are or were tremendous defenders when they won

SpurPadre
03-12-2015, 01:36 AM
Kawhi' s gotta be the first Spur ever since the Admiral era to prop himself up like that.

ElNono
03-12-2015, 02:06 AM
max player saying max player things, tbh

Robz4000
03-12-2015, 02:49 AM
DeAndre Jordan is a lock because it's a hype-based award and Tom Rivers has been campaigning hard for him..Pop will discuss Kawhi's defensive impact, but there's no way he would ever publicly campaign for a player to win a meaningless award like the pathetic Tom Rivers, tbh:lol(or else Tim might have a few DPOYs that he should have won)..

Realistically, Jordan is a good defender, but nowhere near DPOY-caliber, tbh..Draymond Green and Kawhi should both be ahead of him, and even Duncan, too..

HH spitting truth bombs, tho its hard to look at his profile pic...

outmap
03-12-2015, 03:55 AM

Noah
Gasol
Chandler
Howard
Howard
Howard
Garnett
Camby
Wallace
Wallace
Artest
Wallace
Wallace
Mutumbo

Mutumbo and Wallace were great defenders. Artest and Garnett deserved it those years.
I don't think Camby, Chandler and Noah deserved it, they were good help defenders though.
Howard winning was a joke.

Cry Havoc
03-12-2015, 04:08 AM
Via rotoworld:

Kawhi Leonard tied his career-high with five steals vs. the Raptors, while making 10-of-19 FGs and 4-of-4 FTs to finish with 24 points, 11 rebounds, one assist and one block in 39 minutes.

Advice: Toronto's opponents are averaging 6.9 steals this season, the third-fewest of any team, which makes Leonard's thievery even more impressive. He now has a career-best five straight games with 20+ points and is in an amazing groove after a slow period following his serious hand injury. LeBron James' FT shooting and turnovers are pulling down his value, and Kevin Durant is injured, leaving Leonard as the most valuable fantasy SF in the league.

I know it's only fantasy, but that's still pretty incredible. :tu

MateoNeygro
03-12-2015, 06:43 AM

It's a joke of an award until our guy wins it. Then everyone loses their minds.

hater
03-12-2015, 06:43 AM
He had a pretty good game imo

SupremeGuy
03-12-2015, 06:52 AM

Deandre Jordan will get it

Bowen and Duncan not having at least 1 is proof enough that this award is for dumbassesAll of this, tbh.

Uriel
03-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Glad to see Leonard has some humility. :lol

100%duncan
03-12-2015, 07:26 AM
It's a joke of an award until our guy wins it. Then everyone loses their minds.

Then that will be a step towards the right direction :lol

But like I said, Bowen, Duncan, Lebron not getting at least 1 each speaks for itself :lol

UZER
03-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Glad to see Leonard has some humility. :lol

Yes not smart enough to have a filter.

r0drig0lac
03-12-2015, 08:23 AM
very good, now go get some strippers and let the hype begin

DesignatedT
03-12-2015, 08:37 AM
It's a popularity award. It's the rebounding/block shot award.

MI21
03-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Seems like Parker has been teaching Kawhi about honesty in interviews :lol

bd_monster
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm loving this confidence. Keep that chip on your shoulder Kawhi!

MateoNeygro
03-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Then that will be a step towards the right direction :lol

But like I said, Bowen, Duncan, Lebron not getting at least 1 each speaks for itself :lol

I agree but I know that I'd be very happy if Kawhi won. The recognition is nice.

Knoxxx
03-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Leonard is supah beastin'!

SnakeBoy
03-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Pop's probably gonna bench Kawhi until he gets over himself.

SpurPadre
03-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Pop's probably gonna bench Kawhi until he gets over himself.

Seriously, it's so anti-Spur to display that kind of borderline-cockiness. I don't think he is and he just got caught in the moment but it's strange and not something I'm used to hearing or reading about coming from a Spurs player.

Chinook
03-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Don't see anything wrong with it. He's earning the praise.

loveforthegame
03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
I like that he's being more vocal. Especially on the court.

He just answered the question here. He didn't degrade anyone while trying to prop himself up.

At least his actions back up the talk.

BillMc
03-12-2015, 03:39 PM
I like that he's being more vocal. Especially on the court.

He just answered the question here. He didn't degrade anyone while trying to prop himself up.

At least his actions back up the talk.

This. And he probably said it in his usual matter of fact tone. No shouting needed. What did Teddy Roosevelt say about speaking softly...?

Budkin
03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
All of this, tbh.

Seconded, the fact that Bowen never won a single one is criminal.

Johnny RIngo
03-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Seconded, the fact that Bowen never won a single one is criminal.

Duncan not having at least two of 'em is a joke. Sits at 0 when he was probably the best defensive player of his era.

Budkin
03-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Spurs players never won because they didn't "flex their muscles" after every single block.

Johnny RIngo
03-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Spurs players never won because they didn't "flex their muscles" after every single block.

You have other coaches like Rick Carlisle campaigning for his players by calling the voters and sending them sheets with stats printed on 'em. Pop doesn't do that kind of shit.

T Park
03-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Bowen and Duncan not having at least 1 is proof enough that this award is for dumbasses

Amen times 1000

SupremeGuy
03-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Duncan not having at least two of 'em is a joke. Sits at 0 when he was probably the best defensive player of his era.It's honestly kind of stupid, tbh. Like seriously, best defensive player of his generation and the shitty voters never gave him one? Hell, they even gave kirby an undeserved MVP. I can only imagine if Timmy had played in Boston or LA. He'd probably have a few more MVPs and a handful of DPOYs. Dumbass voters.

SupremeGuy
03-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Glad to see Leonard has some humility. :lolI'm surprised too. lol Apparently the one thing that will get him to speak up is his defense. Cool.

tholdren
03-12-2015, 08:18 PM

No, its typical basketball politics. MVP is highest scorer on the best team. RARELY does the best all around player ever win the awards. You have to have flash for the fans and the media. Which is why I have always loved the spurs giving everyone the ultimate FU - small market, no thugs (although Green is a little annoying) just playing sound basketball with no drama.

BillMc
03-12-2015, 08:36 PM
TD must be the greatest defender never to win DPOY. Bruce must be Top Ten.

Kawhi speaking up to avoid the same fate.