PDA

View Full Version : Look who's back: Count the Spurs out at your own peril

bklynspursfan
03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
It was during the past two NBA Finals matchups between the Heat and Spurs when Kawhi Leonard made his name. San Antonio's Big Three had burnished a dynasty, and now Leonard had arrived to safely carry it into the future.
With lockdown defense on LeBron James and a Finals MVP this past June, Leonard solidified his place as the caretaker of San Antonio's incredible two-decade run of success. This season, Leonard's last before hitting the market as a restricted free agent, has only underscored his value.
As Leonard tangles with James again on national TV Thursday night, the Spurs have quietly started playing like the Spurs again. They've won six in a row since starting the annual rodeo road trip with a dismal 2-5 record. Suddenly, a 16th consecutive 50-win season is all but assured, and a favorable playoff seeding is well within reach.
Old Spurs never die, and it turns out, they don't fade away, either.

More: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25103921/look-whos-back-count-the-spurs-out-at-your-own-peril

Horse
03-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Damn right!

Old School 44
03-12-2015, 01:24 PM
I love Kawhi, but I wouldn't exactly say he played "lockdown" defense on LeBron in the Finals.

Texas_Ranger
03-12-2015, 01:56 PM
LeBron averaged 28 on 57% shooting and shot 51% from 3. Leonard's defense was good, but it was not ''lockdown''.

Beaverfuzz
03-12-2015, 02:49 PM
locked the Heat offense down.

Malik Hairston
03-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Too early for this article, should have waited to see tonight's outcome, tbh..

SASdynasty!
03-12-2015, 02:55 PM
LeBron averaged 28 on 57% shooting and shot 51% from 3. Leonard's defense was good, but it was not ''lockdown''.
Exactly, Lebron didn't go wild, but he was the best offensive player in the series still by far. Kawhi did play really good help/team defense overall though. Well-deserved FMVP.

bklynspursfan
03-12-2015, 03:35 PM

His numbers overall were good, but the #'s with Kawhi guarding him were different. And i think stats showed Kawhi denied him getting the ball a lot (which is the safest bet) and limited his shot attempts.

Budkin
03-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Too early for this article, should have waited to see tonight's outcome, tbh..

This. Tonight will answer a lot of questions.

cd98
03-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Nice to see the Spurs go on a win streak, but not a lot of quality in this streak as of yet. The only healthy/full team was Toronto, which they did whip. Spurs have the chance to notch some quality wins over the next few weeks. Here's hoping they keep that win streak going, thereby bolstering their confidence as they head to the playoffs.

BillMc
03-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Yeah, Kwahi was great, made James work, but LeBron's performance was not why the Heat lost that series.

hater
03-12-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the spurs were not 2-5 in the rodeo. I think it was 4-5 imo

Silver&Black
03-12-2015, 07:21 PM
I love Kawhi, but I wouldn't exactly say he played "lockdown" defense on LeBron in the Finals.

I can still remember Jeff Van Gundy during last years Finals saying he loves the defense Kawhi is playing on LeBron. He then went on to say that James is getting it done though. I think Lebron had about 25 points at that time. But, Leonard was making Lebron work for everything. And that's what you need to do against the best player on the planet. Cut off the driving lane, stay in front of Lebron, and make him shoot 15 foot jumpers and 3 pointers. If he hits them (which he was doing in the Finals) you tip your cap and say well done.

Just can't give Lebron 4-5 dunks and layups a game. Gotta make him earn his points....

Nobody on the planet can "stop" Lebron...but Kawhi is one of the few guys who can make him work for his baskets.

ElNono
03-12-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the spurs were not 2-5 in the rodeo. I think it was 4-5 imo

They started 2-5, then won the last two...

Old School 44
03-12-2015, 10:06 PM
I can still remember Jeff Van Gundy during last years Finals saying he loves the defense Kawhi is playing on LeBron. He then went on to say that James is getting it done though. I think Lebron had about 25 points at that time. But, Leonard was making Lebron work for everything. And that's what you need to do against the best player on the planet. Cut off the driving lane, stay in front of Lebron, and make him shoot 15 foot jumpers and 3 pointers. If he hits them (which he was doing in the Finals) you tip your cap and say well done.

Just can't give Lebron 4-5 dunks and layups a game. Gotta make him earn his points....

Nobody on the planet can "stop" Lebron...but Kawhi is one of the few guys who can make him work for his baskets.
I agree with that assessment. Kawhi made him work on both ends. LeBron had a pretty good series, but the rest of the Heat, not so much.