PDA

View Full Version : How many hours of work are you willing to do? Lifestyle related question.

apalisoc_9
03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
I have a job right now and it pays fine. I still have a year and half in school as well, but lately, from a happiness standpoint, I'm just doing something that I hate. To top it, I am looking forward on a career that involved 40-60 hours of work. I am going to admit, that I went to university with the intention of finishing and getting a job that pays..But damn, If i'm not happy right now how much more would it be 5-10 years from now?

Growing up, I had three options that I would be relatively happy with..I was passionate about it and the other offers early retirement. In order of what I really wanted.

1. Be Involved in sports. Either soccer or Basketball..I pussied out because of the lack of opportunities.

2. Raise a family in my hometown village. Easy life. Great Food. Great Environment for kid..But My parents would be very dissapointed. They also have mortages to pay that I feel some sort of responsibility..I wanna pay off their debts so this was never an option..but it's something that I've dreamed of doing since I was kid. Grew up in farm..Wanted to raise a farm..Simple. But parents moved to the city and took all sorts of debts to improve life.

Maybe build a business that would allow me to retire early and do 2...

Anyways, which would you rather do?

Work 45-60 hours for a good house, debts here and there but a decent lifestyle making 60k upwards a year

Work 20-30 hours a week for 30-40k a year?

I have these options going forward and I don't know what to do..Work less and work on a business or work more and save?

Koolaid_Man
03-12-2015, 05:28 PM
get a rich white bitch to take care of you dawg.....:hat you gotta be slanging that pipe though to keep them cutting the checks..and if that shit don't work..then fucking cuck an athlete and then open a fucking gym....:lol

RD2191
03-12-2015, 05:54 PM
depends, i say stay single, make money, small nice house and do more of what you enjoy. id fucking off myself if i had 2 kids, wife, mortgage, and all that lame shit. maybe when im 30-35 but not now.

Malik Hairston
03-12-2015, 06:06 PM
There isn't a correct answer, it depends entirely on your mentality as an individual, tbh..

Money vs. social life vs. circumstances

I never listened to my parents growing up and I moved away at 16, but they were correct in their warnings and advice..the mistakes you make early on in your adult life will have serious financial implications in regards to your conundrum in the OP, especially if you dont have rich parents to bail you out:lol..

Not even strictly from an education standpoint, but also blowing money in your early 20s..most of us are not financially responsible at that point in our lives..

The Reckoning
03-12-2015, 06:12 PM
i look forward to work in the morning.

SnakeBoy
03-12-2015, 08:05 PM
So you think building your own business or being a farmer isn't going to involve working heavy hours?

apalisoc_9
03-12-2015, 10:01 PM
So you think building your own business or being a farmer isn't going to involve working heavy hours?

Oh for sure, but it's matter of doing something you like..

DJR210
03-13-2015, 02:34 AM
:lol @ "hometown village"

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 02:54 AM

What's so funny about it?

I lived in an Isolated village in the Philippines my first 8 years and would constantly visit there...No internet, no TVs..Closes town, has no internet xonnextion, no malls. Everything is a wet market...

I loved it there..The small farm a few minutes walk away from the house, a few minutes walk away from jungle, mountains, and water falls, a few minutes away from natural hot springs..also a few minutes away from the beach..Best part about it,..Town doesn;t want to be turned into another tourist destinatin and hopefully never will..it was paradise bro.

:depressed

DJR210
03-13-2015, 02:55 AM

Just sounds funny

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 03:00 AM
Just sounds funny

Small town villages don't exist in North America. Sure sounds foreign to an american..

Should have probably used a different term..but it s what it is.

mavsfan1000
03-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Deliver pizza ftw.

DJR210
03-13-2015, 03:10 AM
Small town villages don't exist in North America. Sure sounds foreign to an american..

Should have probably used a different term..but it s what it is.

Just don't picture you as a villager tbh

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 03:13 AM
Just don't picture you as a villager tbh

why?

DJR210
03-13-2015, 03:23 AM
why?

I just picture tdmvpdpoy's primitive ass as a villager..you seem more advanced

DD
03-13-2015, 04:37 AM
What's so funny about it?

I lived in an Isolated village in the Philippines my first 8 years and would constantly visit there...No internet, no TVs..Closes town, has no internet xonnextion, no malls. Everything is a wet market...

I loved it there..The small farm a few minutes walk away from the house, a few minutes walk away from jungle, mountains, and water falls, a few minutes away from natural hot springs..also a few minutes away from the beach..Best part about it,..Town doesn;t want to be turned into another tourist destinatin and hopefully never will..it was paradise bro.

:depressed

I hope you weren't around any of the US military installations back then...I've heard there was some pretty nefarious, predatory individuals around.

I had a lot of fun but racked up a lot of debt into my mid-20's. Do overseas contracting, it's so cake:lol...also a never-ending cash cow and you can vacation anywhere in the world every 3 months

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 08:37 AM
^

I've heard some nasty stories in the islands of Visayas..Avante like Stories :lol

But no, I don't think anyone have seen a US military there.

SnakeBoy
03-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Oh for sure, but it's matter of doing something you like..

That's overrated. Make the most money you can, save and invest all that you can so that you can enjoy the 2nd half of your life. The only people who say money isn't important are the people who don't have it, well also rich people who don't want to sound like snobs but they don't actually mean it. If you can be financially successful doing something you love then great but being financially successful is the most important part. Either way your going to have to work your ass off to get there unless you just get lucky.

cantthinkofanything
03-13-2015, 04:57 PM
^ bad tak. Depends on where you live and what makes you happy and whether or not you have a wife and kids. In the US, you better have some money though. But if you're somewhere where the cost of living is cheap and you can enjoy good food and the outdoors, then that's a different story.

DMC
03-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Equating money to hours worked is a futile endeavor. Instead, consider the standard of living you're willing to accept in order to build something for your future. When building a new home, many people live in smaller, cheaper homes or even trailers until it's finished. Now consider that the home you're building is your future (all of it) and the standard of living you have now is the temporary living quarters until you get there. Young people who get into debt over their income level rarely ever have a high standard of living as they age. It's those people who don't have the newest everything at age 22, who invest money and time into themselves, those people have comfortable living as they age.

So I don't equate hours worked to financial well being. I look at the end of year earnings and often that's a product of moves I made during the year or even in years past. Extra time rarely equates to significant income increases. More time spent, in my line of work, means you're not as good at it as your position advertises you to be. So you spend the time but you don't get rich off of it. I've worked 100 hours in a week, easily, but I've also spent weeks at a time without doing anything work related. I made about the same both times.

Buddy Mignon
03-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Don't be afraid of working long hours... even if its a job that you care nothing for. Just make sure the money is good and find something you really like to do in your spare time to offset the hours you spend at your job that you hate. Find a mentor at something you want to do and listen. Delay marriage and kids until you've accomplished your goals. In fact... skip marriage all together unless she's and asset... someone that adds to your life and not take from. Most importantly... save and invest your money while you're young. There is nothing more important than having money to spend when you want or need it. A small book called The Richest Man In Babylon opened my eyes. I always made money, but spent it like it was going out of style. Specialize in something... become great at something. It takes time... a book called Outliers will give you some insight to this. Last but no least... ask the same questions that you just asked us total strangers to a person that you trust. Gain some insight from older people that you know and trust.

Franklin
03-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Equating money to hours worked is a futile endeavor. Instead, consider the standard of living you're willing to accept in order to build something for your future. When building a new home, many people live in smaller, cheaper homes or even trailers until it's finished. Now consider that the home you're building is your future (all of it) and the standard of living you have now is the temporary living quarters until you get there. Young people who get into debt over their income level rarely ever have a high standard of living as they age. It's those people who don't have the newest everything at age 22, who invest money and time into themselves, those people have comfortable living as they age.

So I don't equate hours worked to financial well being. I look at the end of year earnings and often that's a product of moves I made during the year or even in years past. Extra time rarely equates to significant income increases. More time spent, in my line of work, means you're not as good at it as your position advertises you to be. So you spend the time but you don't get rich off of it. I've worked 100 hours in a week, easily, but I've also spent weeks at a time without doing anything work related. I made about the same both times.
Golden points, DMC, hope you can teach my Lunar Goddess such doctrines someday...

I don't have the newest everything and I never crave such things. For example, I'm still using a motorola phone which I bought 4yrs ago for about 20 bucks, and as a student I spend little money on anything that's not schoolwork related. I want to find a staff job at school so I'd have some extra time (summer vacations, for example) to continue my study on translation and writing, procure a doctorate's degree some years later hopefully. As a young ambitious dude I think the best I can do now is equip myself with knowledge and academic capitals such as degrees and articles published, which would altogether make a solid basis for me to built my future upon. Capitals in the form of knowledge and academic achievements are far more important to young people than capitals in other forms imho, since the value of your money saved at banks would leak away rapidly thanks to the high inflation rate. Money should be enough as long as it sustains your living, and young people should always look forward to the future rather than the present, imho.

Extra time rarely equates to significant income increases, I can't agree more on this tbh. The size of reward depends on the amount of intelligence contained in your product or service you sell, and that's also why young people should always invest in the future. You may have to live a frugal life in the short term, but it'll benefit you considerably in the long run imho.

DMC
03-14-2015, 12:52 AM
Thing about education is that even if you cannot pay it back, they can't take your degree.

DMC
03-14-2015, 12:53 AM
Don't be afraid of working long hours... even if its a job that you care nothing for. Just make sure the money is good and find something you really like to do in your spare time to offset the hours you spend at your job that you hate. Find a mentor at something you want to do and listen. Delay marriage and kids until you've accomplished your goals. In fact... skip marriage all together unless she's and asset... someone that adds to your life and not take from. Most importantly... save and invest your money while you're young. There is nothing more important than having money to spend when you want or need it. A small book called The Richest Man In Babylon opened my eyes. I always made money, but spent it like it was going out of style. Specialize in something... become great at something. It takes time... a book called Outliers will give you some insight to this. Last but no least... ask the same questions that you just asked us total strangers to a person that you trust. Gain some insight from older people that you know and trust.

This

The Reckoning
03-14-2015, 02:00 AM
only takes you seven years to master something. change it up every seven years.

Franklin
03-14-2015, 08:32 AM
But... if you have to work long hours on a regular basis it'd be nearly impossible to have any spare time. For example, if you have to work until 1am everyday with no days off, you wouldn't probably have enough time to even wash your face imho. Just as I said a million times before, money is the last thing that matters to young people. Therefore I'd rather take a job that doesn't pay well but allows me sufficient spare time to continue my study on what I'm really interested in.

I totally agree on the marriage part though. I love the Lunar Goddess and she's the one I want to get married to in the future, but not the present time or anytime soon. I'll always adhere to the Tom Leykis doctrine which tells us never to get married before the age of 30, so that I think LG and I will have to wait until at least I hit the 30 mark imho (she'll be 28 then), and a 3yr something relationship sounds like the right length of preparation before marriage tbh.

There ain't many mentors in the real world imho, some posters here can be your mentors online (like DMC) but it all ends in the virtual world. People in the real life are mean and selfish, and most of them wouldn't help you for nothing.

And I don't think it right to take a job you dislike no matter how much it pays. The first job is very important for college graduates imho, to some extent it'll set the basic direction of your career path. If you choose the wrong job/career it'll take you many years to fix it, and it'd turn out particularly costly when you're already in your mid 20s. I don't wanna define which career is good or which else is bad, it pretty much depends on one's personal preference and characteristics imho. You're lucky enough if you find a job that suits you well, regardless of the pay. Teaching at college is the best type of job for her, and maybe also for me as well, but she changed her mind somehow (most likely because she knew she would get that offer from PwC). It may sound cool to work at PwC but that's probably not the right job for her tbh, especially when she knows basically nothing about accounting or auditing. It sounds weird enough when someone gets hired at PwC with only an English degree, right? Grassroot white collars are just urban mules, glorified slaves tbh. We had the chance to work together at a private college, we could've both signed there and purchased a small row house nearby, but she seemed to have much higher ambitions and I have to respect her decisions...

Big Empty
03-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Just stay debt free besides a mortgage or truck payment. Life will be great!

The Reckoning
03-14-2015, 09:25 AM
student loans will always be fucking you in the ass. don't go to grad school if you don't have to.

pgardn
03-14-2015, 09:56 AM

Amen.

Mine is highly variable in time but I love it.
Life is too short.

The Reckoning
03-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Amen.

Mine is highly variable in time but I love it.
Life is too short.

Same. But my job description changes every day so it'll never really be monotonous.

The Reckoning
03-14-2015, 10:03 AM
and really, the people you work with matter just as much, if not more than your actual job imo. if you hate your job, it could be very well the assholes you have to be around all day rather than what you do.

pgardn
03-14-2015, 10:28 AM
and really, the people you work with matter just as much, if not more than your actual job imo. if you hate your job, it could be very well the assholes you have to be around all day rather than what you do.

My occupation partially involves getting people who are very bright to realize they don't know everything. Like a translator between people with large egos that do different things. I meet new folks like this constantly so it's a fun challenge. And when we solve something it's an absolute joy, almost like a team has come together. Sometimes it involves repair work afterwards though, feelings can get hurt.

To the OP I would reiterate, be very good at what you do. And be prepared to put something on the line, be willing to take a loss(not necessarily financial) to get it out that you are good at what you do. Sacrifice short term loses for long term gains.

The big unknown however is just damn good luck imo. I fell into a situation in which money was involved and I loved it. And in science. These two things, $ and love of the job, don't necessarily go together. And be ready to evolve with the changes that come. If you can't grow with the job, or the job does not require growth, I can see boredom setting in.

Luck, timing and falling into the right spot are definitely in play though.

Buddy Mignon
03-14-2015, 01:30 PM
But... if you have to work long hours on a regular basis it'd be nearly impossible to have any spare time. For example, if you have to work until 1am everyday with no days off, you wouldn't probably have enough time to even wash your face imho. Just as I said a million times before, money is the last thing that matters to young people. Therefore I'd rather take a job that doesn't pay well but allows me sufficient spare time to continue my study on what I'm really interested in.

I totally agree on the marriage part though. I love the Lunar Goddess and she's the one I want to get married to in the future, but not the present time or anytime soon. I'll always adhere to the Tom Leykis doctrine which tells us never to get married before the age of 30, so that I think LG and I will have to wait until at least I hit the 30 mark imho (she'll be 28 then), and a 3yr something relationship sounds like the right length of preparation before marriage tbh.

There ain't many mentors in the real world imho, some posters here can be your mentors online (like DMC) but it all ends in the virtual world. People in the real life are mean and selfish, and most of them wouldn't help you for nothing.

And I don't think it right to take a job you dislike no matter how much it pays. The first job is very important for college graduates imho, to some extent it'll set the basic direction of your career path. If you choose the wrong job/career it'll take you many years to fix it, and it'd turn out particularly costly when you're already in your mid 20s. I don't wanna define which career is good or which else is bad, it pretty much depends on one's personal preference and characteristics imho. You're lucky enough if you find a job that suits you well, regardless of the pay. Teaching at college is the best type of job for her, and maybe also for me as well, but she changed her mind somehow (most likely because she knew she would get that offer from PwC). It may sound cool to work at PwC but that's probably not the right job for her tbh, especially when she knows basically nothing about accounting or auditing. It sounds weird enough when someone gets hired at PwC with only an English degree, right? Grassroot white collars are just urban mules, glorified slaves tbh. We had the chance to work together at a private college, we could've both signed there and purchased a small row house nearby, but she seemed to have much higher ambitions and I have to respect her decisions...

If you're working a job and you have no days off... you should quit. Unless its your own company. You will burn out... even if its something you love. If college is the route you're taking then put it first, and work second. Find a way... live at home with your parents or a family member. Get a group of like minded friends or strangers and rent a house. No job is worth all your time.

You pass mentors every single day... open your eyes and start talking to people... total strangers if you have to. True story... I made plans to go to this corporate credit building seminar years ago. I had in my mind that I was tired of working for someone else so I will build a shit load of corporate credit and use the credit to gamble on a business idea. I didn't even have a business idea at the time. I just knew that I had to leave my job. I show up to the hotel about two hours early due to LA traffic being so bad in the morning so I decide to have some breakfast at Denny's. As I'm sitting there passing time I see this short, red headed white dude pull up in his Lamborghini. He comes in and they sit him across from me. I look at him and nod... he does the same thing. But the whole time I'm thinking how in the fuck does he afford a Lambo. So I simply said, "Excuse me sir... you mind me asking what you do for a living?" He goes... "I teach people how to tell their boss to fuck off." So I said, "you work for the people that's giving the seminar?" He says, "I am the seminar."

Now I had gone to a few seminars before and they always try to sell you some overpriced shit that's skimmed down to the bare basics. You eventually wind up paying much more money to get to the meat of the program. So I said to the guy, "Do you mind if I just pay you directly to teach me how to build corporate credit instead of dealing with the people that work for you?" He started laughing, gave me his business card and introduced himself as Ray Reynolds. I tried to get all of my close friends and family members to follow me, but not one of them followed. I would show up at this guys office and ask for Ray directly... so all of his employees thought I knew him personally. I basically could get whatever I wanted... as far as the programs they offered. Three months in he told me to quit my job and get an insurance license and sell mortgages. I had no experience in either, but I did it. This was in 2002... and anyone that was in real estate during that time can tell you how much money we made. That total stranger became a mentor and changed my life. I made so much money... we worked hard long hours for great commission checks. Fly to Vegas every Friday on private planes to party. We'd rent yachts... go on cruises... go to Cabo, you name it we did it. The market crashed in 2007, but I made so much money and learned so much during that span that I haven't punched a clock for work since 2007. Hell... I didn't have to work at all for two years... I rode the recession out on my savings alone. From 2007 till 2010 I spent most of my time online fucking with you guys, and networking with people about different business ideas.

Seminars... social groups... and charities are great places to meet mentors. Find someone that is successful... and they will be glad to bestow their wisdom on you. As far as taking a job you don't like because the money is good... you have to realize that at every single job you have trade-offs. Sometimes you have to do things that you don't like to get the things that you want. When I left my job back in 2002... I wanted to leave on good terms just in case I needed to come back. I was a manager, so I went into the GM's office to give him two weeks notice. He looked at me like he was jealous. He told me he wished he could do what I was doing. I said... you make a quarter of a million a year, and you have it made. He said, that's true but I would like to work for myself and start my own company, but he had a wife and kids, and private school to pay for.

As I was typing this I had to stop and take a call from my nephew. He's a lazy loser and wants me to donate him some money. Of course I said no, but offer to help him find a job. Here he has an uncle that's willing to help him, but he's lazy and hates to listen. Remove the thought from your mind that successful people don't want to help you. It's just the opposite. Go to the book store and you'll see its filled with stories of successful people sharing their life's stories. You just need to pick one.:toast

Franklin
03-15-2015, 01:54 AM
Thanks for sharing with us your experience of success, bro. I'd like to continue my study but it's very difficult to obtain Doctorate's candidacy at this point of time, and I don't wanna continue living on my parents' income so I have to find a job first. A college job is most desirable for me because if I get a job elsewhere it'd be nearly impossible for me to get back to school since most employers wouldn't give you so much time off for Doctorate's study. By working at school I'd at least have the summer vacation guaranteed, and the school timetable is very flexible imho.

I think I have also come across some good successful people, they were very kind to me and they gave me some honest advice. They could've become mentors to me but I just didn't go any further with them, just casually talked with them and all. I'm luckier than most of my classmates nonetheless, because I've got a good professor who can be regarded as a mentor of mine. He picked me out of the crowed and brought me under his guidance about the same time last year. I'm a bit introvert so I'm not really good at communicating with people, which even led to some sort of misunderstanding between me and my professor. For example, he knew that I had a crush on Lunar Goddess so he must have thought that I had been dating her (and he's a strong disapprover of such school love tbh), but in fact I've only seen her twice since July last year... It all has been resolved, I think. He's still very kind to me imho, and I'll ask him for some help concerning the application for college jobs. Only with his help can I land such a job tbh, due to the severe nepotism in this area. Even though you're more than qualified you still need the help of some senior professor in this field in order to get a job here, it's just the shameful fact about these chinese schools tbh.

Many people may become your mentors and you just need to pick one, and I think I've already picked one that is my professor. Some of my peers have already found jobs in such profitable sectors such as banking, finance, accounting etc... but I'd rather stick to my profession and professor. I'm not sure if he can really help me achieve this goal but he's the only one I can count on tbh, so I have to trust him and cling to him. A good job comes with myriad opportunities and it's surely worth more than a static amount of money, so yet it's very dumb of your nephew take the latter over a job opportunity. I'm kinda used to living a frugal life, and my living cost is near zero because I live with my parents so there's no financial trouble for me to worry about. I'd rather take a job that suits me well and that can keep my dreams alive, than sell myself to a profitable industry and convert all my time and brain into the form of money.

DMX7
03-15-2015, 01:00 PM

What do you do?

2pac > Kobe
03-15-2015, 04:40 PM
20 hours a week if I'm feeling good