PDA

View Full Version : Biggest choke since Game 6

Amuseddaysleeper
03-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Obviously it's only a regular season game but hopefully this doesn't put the team into a tailspin as that's about as demoralizing as regular season losses go.

Spurs are cursed this year.

Uriel
03-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Most demoralizing loss of the year in a season filled with them.

GrandeDavid
03-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Kaklang Leonard!

Robz4000
03-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Choking has been a theme with this team for years unfortunately. I just don't trust the Spurs on close games anymore.

KL2
03-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Terrible coaching by Pop this game, it all comes down to his decisions, this L is on him.

Irving started going off on Parker early, scored the majority of his points on him. Should've had Green on Irving, Parker on Smith, such an obvious obvious matchup. By the time they made the switch Irving was just on fire, the damage was done.

Belli continues to get playing time as well smh.

Gagnrath
03-12-2015, 11:48 PM
This is going to energize them for the rest of the season.

tmtcsc
03-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Good gawd, have some balls people. The loss sucks but get over it. The Spurs played an excellent game but lost it at the FT line. It was a great game and an unfortunate loss. Those Irving shots were ridiculous. Give him credit and move on to the next game.

Chuck was saying it all night. The Spurs got great shots. Much better shots than
Cavs.

DesignatedT
03-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Why contribute this garbage to the forum. Stupid thread.

Missed free throws cost us. Sucks. Incredible shooting by Cleveland. Spurs played a great game tonight

spurtech09
03-12-2015, 11:52 PM
eh Lebron had help from his god....the devil.....I always seem him before james throwing the illuminati triangle and throwing 6's with his hands.....just watch or look it up on youtube.....the dude sold his soul......

tmtcsc
03-12-2015, 11:53 PM
LeBron is such a bitch. He is the biggest coattail rider in NBA history. Lol, all his posing and acting is so fucking pathetic. Go on Lebron, beat your chest and act like you're the man. Congrats, you are on Irving ' s team.

Robz4000
The problem here is its a recurring trend. Spurs have lost dozens of games at the FT the past few seasons, whether it be in the regular season or Finals. Every team but the Spurs seem to have at least a go-to FT shooter to close out games.

DMC
Blessing in disguise. Not really. Kyrie was otherworldly, can't do shit about that. Bug/windshield...

spursparker9
03-12-2015, 11:54 PM
eh Lebron had help from his god....the devil.....I always seem him before james throwing the illuminati triangle and throwing 6's with his hands.....just watch or look it up on youtube.....the dude sold his soul......

http://www.tinygif.com/data/media/8/now-i-see.gif

CitizenDwayne
03-12-2015, 11:54 PM
If you think this loss was "demoralizing", you do not understand basketball, and I do not understand you.

Mikeanaro
03-12-2015, 11:57 PM
If Im gonna sell my soul for millions of cash, basketball skills and all that stuff IŽll be fucking sure I will demand a head full of hair in exchange too.

therealtruth
03-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Why contribute this garbage to the forum. Stupid thread.

Missed free throws cost us. Sucks. Incredible shooting by Cleveland. Spurs played a great game tonight

Spurs shot 56%, Cavs 48%. I think the Spurs shot better. That should be good enough to win. It looks like the defense still isn't good enough. Still got time before the season ends but that kind of defense won't get it done in playoffs.

Amuseddaysleeper
If you think this loss was "demoralizing", you do not understand basketball, and I do not understand you.

You think the Spurs are high fiving in the locker room right now?

Darius Bieber
Every team the Spurs play against, someone goes OFF....

CitizenDwayne
03-13-2015, 12:00 AM

People were just recently concerned about the possibility of even making the playoffs.

They just went toe-to-toe with the Cavs and needed a historic performance in OT to lose.

Obviously they shouldn't be high fiving, but no Spurs fans should be losing sleep over this.

spurtech09
03-13-2015, 12:00 AM
If Im gonna sell my soul for millions of cash, basketball skills and all that stuff IŽll be fucking sure I will demand a head full of hair in exchange too.it starting to grow alittle lol....but once you sell your soul you start losing hair and getting old...James got to give up his soul to the evil one

daslicer
03-13-2015, 12:04 AM
LeBron is such a bitch. He is the biggest coattail rider in NBA history. Lol, all his posing and acting is so fucking pathetic. Go on Lebron, beat your chest and act like you're the man. Congrats, you are on Irving ' s team.

One thing about Lebron that has always been true from what I have noticed. Is this guy will hit dagger shots when his team is ahead but if they are down he tends to disappear in pressure situations. Just look at tonight he didn't really come through until his team was ahead when he hit that dagger shot.

Darius Bieber
03-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Only team in the NBA who will lose with a 6 point lead with 30 seconds left = Spurs.

UZER
03-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Not worried about the loss but man, more fluke shots against this team....all...season...long.

spurtech09
03-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Not worried about the loss but man, more fluke shots against this team....all...season...long.yeah spurs had this game if KL makes those freehrows.....

tmtcsc
03-13-2015, 12:09 AM
One thing about Lebron that has always been true from what I have noticed. Is this guy will hit dagger shots when his team is ahead but if they are down he tends to disappear in pressure situations. Just look at tonight he didn't really come through until his team was ahead when he hit that dagger shot.

Absolutely true. He can't take pressure and folds. He needs the Kyrie Irvings, Dwayne Wades and Ray Allens of the league to bail his ass out. That being said, Leonard needs to stop choking at the free throw line - which is exactly what he did. I hope it doesn't kill his confidence going forward.

look_at_g_shred
03-13-2015, 12:09 AM
No I think that Memphis game was more crushing

timtonymanu
03-13-2015, 12:11 AM

It's a demoralizing loss for over emotional fans but I doubt the Spurs lose sleep over this. They've had losses like this all season but are still in playoff contention.

kobyz
03-13-2015, 12:12 AM
This team is soft, can't compete for a title this way! And also Pop's beard...

siraulo23
03-13-2015, 12:13 AM
that was a tough loss, thank god it's a RS game

UZER
03-13-2015, 12:13 AM

This has been going on for years. When his teams are ahead and he hits a shot, he starts yelling chest bumping smugging. When the they're behind, he looks indifferent to what's going on and looks to others.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Choking has been a theme with this team for years unfortunately. I just don't trust the Spurs on close games anymore.

I agree with that there in ways but the rings they have won have made up for some of that Robz. They do choke away silly games though they have no BUSINESS at all losing! They are champs and one of the best but that aspect has been with them for a while blowing games they have and ridiculous shots falling on them. It seems unreal at times the way they seem to lose from .4, 13 in 15, Ray Allens three and shots like tonight. It gets unreal at times.
Not worried about the loss but man, more fluke shots against this team....all...season...long.

The thing is the fluke shots are the norm now against this team, they are not so fluke in that sense.

Juggity
03-13-2015, 12:16 AM
There are at least 4 losses this season worse than this one. In all honesty, this was a super encouraging game. The spurs played about as well they possibly could save for a free throw. What other team in the league is gonna survive the spurs shooting 57% in a game and dropping 60 points/half? It took Kyrie scoring his career high for the cavs to pull this one out. Hey, it happens. The NBA is full of people who are capable of dropping 50 points at any given moment. Move on.

Luckily Houston and Memphis also lost tonight.

daslicer
03-13-2015, 12:17 AM
This has been going on for years. When his teams are ahead and he hits a shot, he starts yelling chest bumping smugging. When the they're behind, he looks indifferent to what's going on and looks to others.

Yeah its pretty frustrating this happened a few times he has played the Spurs. I remember 6 a few years ago and he was nervous as hell in the final minute you could tell when he bricked his first 3 point attempt. Once the game went to OT he no longer felt the pressure. That's why you have to bury this guy when he's down because hes not mentally strong enough to get himself out of a hole.

Chillen
03-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Haha, this was just a regular season loss. Spurs beat them in the fall and they win in SA by 3 in OT and Kyrie had a crazy game. I wouldn't mind if the Finals matchup is this in June, both games have been really close and entertaining. 6 isn't even in the same ballpark as this, they lost a championship in that game.

Chillen
03-13-2015, 12:18 AM
Yeah its pretty frustrating this happened a few times he has played the Spurs. I remember 6 a few years ago and he was nervous as hell in the final minute you could tell when he bricked his first 3 point attempt. Once the game went to OT he no longer felt the pressure. That's why you have to bury this guy when he's down because hes not mentally strong enough to get himself out of a hole.

LeBron needs more help.

cjw
03-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Belli continues to get playing time as well smh.

Healthy Manu and he doesn't see nearly that many minutes. Plus offense looks a little different down stretch.

daslicer
03-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Spurs have had so many epic regular season and playoff loses during the Duncan era. I don't think this loss even phases the team but more so frustrates them because they know they should have won.

Capt Bringdown
03-13-2015, 12:28 AM
I'd feel better about a blowout loss, which could be chalked up to simply having a bad night.
However, the Spurs had a good night, put themselves in a position to win, but couldn't close the deal - which is becoming a distinct pattern this year.
Tonight's loss only reinforced that pattern.
A win tonight would have broken that pattern, and might have indicated that the Spurs have turned a corner.
I'm not seeing anything special about this year's team.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 12:29 AM
I'd feel better about a blowout loss, which could be chalked up to simply having a bad night.
However, the Spurs had a good night, put themselves in a position to win, but couldn't close the deal - which is becoming a distinct pattern this year.
A win tonight would have broken that pattern, and might have indicated that the Spurs have turned a corner.
capt dropping nukes all the way from Thailand

Arcadian
03-13-2015, 12:30 AM
Why would it put the team in a "tailspin"? Lol...if anything they feel good about their chances against this team in the long run.

midnightpulp
03-13-2015, 12:32 AM
No reason for a meltdown here. Frustrating loss, yes, but it took the best performance of Irving's life and a Kawhi choke to steal one.

Tony's offense is looking much better, but he's still atrocious defensively, which is a cause for concern considering all the top PGs in the West. Every PG, from that no-name in Sacramento to Irving has a career night against Tony.

Johnny RIngo
03-13-2015, 12:36 AM
No reason for a meltdown here. Frustrating loss, yes, but it took the best performance of Irving's life and a Kawhi choke to steal one.

Tony's offense is looking much better, but he's still atrocious defensively, which is a cause for concern considering all the top PGs in the West. Every PG, from that no-name in Sacramento to Irving has a career night against Tony.

Why the hell did Pop choose tonight of all games to not hide Tony on anyone? Kyrie's a streaky shooter. You let him start hot and the fucker will keep hitting shots all game.

timtonymanu
03-13-2015, 12:37 AM
Why the hell did Pop choose tonight of all games to not hide Tony on anyone? Kyrie's a streaky shooter. You let him start hot and the fucker will keep hitting shots all game.

It's too bad CoJo was benched because his past accomplishments don't match that of Tony. Guaranteed Kyrie wouldn't have had 57 points.

T Park
03-13-2015, 12:38 AM

No but they have the attitude of "if it takes that to beat us, we're fine" and they're 100% correct.

T Park
03-13-2015, 12:39 AM

Lol retread post from 2013,2014......

Capt Bringdown
03-13-2015, 12:40 AM
In '13, do you think the Spurs felt good about their chances in game 7 after they choked away game 6?
Not a one-to-one comparison, since this is obviously a regular season game, but I think it's safe to say that choking is never a good thing for a team's short term or long term confidence/prospects.

The best thing that could be said about this game is that it gives the Spurs a pitiful low point that they can reflect on and hopefully bounce back from. It does nothing to build their confidence or ability. Choking never does.

kobyz
03-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Lebron is in their heads...

mexicanjunior
03-13-2015, 12:46 AM
In '13, do you think the Spurs felt good about their chances in game 7 after they choked away game 6?
Not a one-to-one comparison, since this is obviously a regular season game, but I think it's safe to say that choking is never a good thing for a team's short term or long term confidence/prospects.

The best thing that could be said about this game is that it gives the Spurs a pitiful low point that they can reflect on and hopefully bounce back from. It does nothing to build their confidence or ability. Choking never does.

Agreed...

ElNono
03-13-2015, 12:47 AM

Didn't we choke a game against Dallas also in the 1st round last playoffs (Game 3 or 4, I think, lost with VC hitting a 3)? It might not build your confidence, but it does allows you to focus more on the little things. From Game 7 on that series onwards, we were on a mission.

Mugen
03-13-2015, 12:52 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/WellmadeThunderousFlatfish.gif

RD2191
03-13-2015, 12:55 AM
:lol

Old School 44
03-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Bad loss, but still a regular season game. Hopefully, like 6, this game will give the guys, in particular Kawhi, something to draw from. Props to Irving amazing game.

BatManu20
03-13-2015, 01:04 AM
Have we ever won a game in OT where a team hit a shot at the buzzer to send it there? tbh :lol

Mugen
03-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Have we ever won a game in OT where a team hit a shot at the buzzer to send it there? tbh :lol

Against the Pelicans earlier this year, Tim's ridiculous tip in tbh.

Uriel
03-13-2015, 02:02 AM
:rollin

Legacy
03-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Ummm. Remember the Detroit game?? Because I sure do...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243054

cd021
03-13-2015, 11:05 AM

The Memphis (3OT) loss was probably worse, astounding how many times we blew that game. The Pistons loss as well.

Dex
03-13-2015, 11:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JRhuJpz.jpg

Legacy
03-13-2015, 02:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JRhuJpz.jpg

Pop seriously needs to do this. Do it, Pop!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Why do you have to bring up game 6.

Budkin
03-13-2015, 02:13 PM
The Memphis (3OT) loss was probably worse, astounding how many times we blew that game. The Pistons loss as well.

Don't forget the Portland 3OT game either. We set a record for choking in those games.

TheGoldStandard
03-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Free Throw Drills should be the only thing they practice at this point

Keepin' it real
03-13-2015, 02:36 PM

Memphis was way worse due to flukiness of Gasol's 3 pointer, Manu's awful pass, etc.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Memphis was way worse due to flukiness of Gasol's 3 pointer, Manu's awful pass, etc.

Don't forget Portland when we had the board (Diaw) at the end of regulation and then Diaw coughs it up to the other damn team without even being touched and they hit a three to go to OT. Then in OT we have it won and then blow it again and another player goes off in Lillard for a career high. Eerie similar to last night with the career high and a guy getting red hot before and into OT. All three games mentioned the Spurs had won and gave them away.
Don't forget the Portland 3OT game either. We set a record for choking in those games.

YEP^^^^^ Portland game they blew a few times on end, pathetic.

Malik Hairston
03-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Also the fact that Gasol's 3 was a massive, obvious travel, too:lol..

Malik Hairston
03-13-2015, 02:47 PM
The Pistons game was the worst choke job of the season IMO..

Budkin
03-13-2015, 03:53 PM
The Pistons game was the worst choke job of the season IMO..

Yep they had no business even being in that game, then we have the Alba Berlin ending thanks to Timmy.

Dex
03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Why do you have to bring up game 6.

:cry It still hurts. :cry

Beaverfuzz
03-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Obviously it's only a regular season game but hopefully this doesn't put the team into a tailspin as that's about as demoralizing as regular season losses go.

Spurs are cursed this year.

Pretty sure you claimed the game as one of the best wins for the SPURS before it was even over.

GSW on the road still biggest win.

Beaverfuzz
03-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Free Throw Drills should be the only thing they practice at this point

Running lines for 30 minutes, and shoot FT's...pick a random player and they have to make 7 out of 10 minimum. If not, team runs again.

Cloud786
03-13-2015, 05:23 PM
I don't get why people think practicing your ft's will help prevent us choking in future games. It has nothing to with your ability to actually hit ft's. I guarantee you they hit 90% of their ft's during practice. It has to do with confidence and your ability to go to the line and shoot them confidently. All you got to look at is their body language when going to the line. You could tell Kawhi and Diaw (in OT) were afraid to shoot those ft's. The only way to get better at shooting pressure ft's is being in those situations more often. But the spurs as a team don't get to the line often so they have no rhythm or confidence to knock them down. This is why we've choked numerous games and we will probably continue to do so.

mkurts
03-13-2015, 09:11 PM
I don't get why people think practicing your ft's will help prevent us choking in future games. It has nothing to with your ability to actually hit ft's. I guarantee you they hit 90% of their ft's during practice. It has to do with confidence and your ability to go to the line and shoot them confidently. All you got to look at is their body language when going to the line. You could tell Kawhi and Diaw (in OT) were afraid to shoot those ft's. The only way to get better at shooting pressure ft's is being in those situations more often. But the spurs as a team don't get to the line often so they have no rhythm or confidence to knock them down. This is why we've choked numerous games and we will probably continue to do so.

I thought Green did well on free throws.

cd021
03-13-2015, 10:15 PM
FTs are almost as big of a story line as injuries to this team, this season. Duncan FT % has freefallen to 71% while Ginobili (consistently a mid 80% shooter) is hitting 73% this season. Leonard has always been a sporadic shooter, he can hit 8 in a game and miss 4 of 6 the following night.

Capt Bringdown
03-14-2015, 12:07 AM
The pattern of choking this year does not bode well. It could very well be this teams undoing this year. It's happened before, after all. And the Spurs responded too, so there's reason for optimism.
However, let's not pretend that it's not a big ongoing problem/weakness with this team.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-14-2015, 12:14 AM
The pattern of choking this year does not bode well. It could very well be this teams undoing this year. It's happened before, after all. And the Spurs responded too, so there's reason for optimism.
However, let's not pretend that it's not a big ongoing problem/weakness with this team.

This was problem the wake up call the spurs needed, a loss with that much intensity and against Lebron no less, with a choke that bad, will elicit game 6 memories and help refocus the team for the home stretch. Expect us to go on a huge tear this month

Silver&Black
03-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Pop: "The next guy who misses a free throw....is going to buy me a new car"

Sean Cagney
03-14-2015, 02:18 AM
:cry It still hurts. :cry

Good lord if that still hurts after last years domination in the playoffs and over Miami in the finals then you guys need help man, honestly :lol It doesn't hurt that much at all here on this side, just a bad moment that was depressing that summer and lead to a tear and redemption in the sweetest way for the Spurs. That was the spark the next year, storyline and they did it.
This was problem the wake up call the spurs needed, a loss with that much intensity and against Lebron no less, with a choke that bad, will elicit game 6 memories and help refocus the team for the home stretch. Expect us to go on a huge tear this month

One would hope, they have had a few wake up calls though on end this year it would seem correct? I mean we keep hearing this it he wake up call each month a few times after a game they gave away. I wish they would stop doing that, damn.

03-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Pop: "The next guy who misses a free throw....is going to buy me a new car"

He's going to need a bigger garage.