PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Sprewell's price might not be right

ducks
09-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Lakers: Sprewell's price might not be right
By Vincent Bonsignore, Staff Writer

Latrell Sprewell doesn't like the money the Lakers are offering, but he appears to be running out of options.
Sprewell, the talented but controversial free-agent guard who played last season in Minnesota, is seeking a deal starting at $5 million per season. He has spoken to the Lakers, which can offer only the $2.5 million remaining from its midlevel exception.

But lately, potential suitors San Antonio and Denver eliminated themselves from consideration by using their full $5 million midlevel exceptions to sign Michael Finley and Earl Watson, respectively.

That leaves only Miami, which has its full $5 million slot, and the Lakers as the remaining logical landing points for Sprewell.

Sprewell's agent, Robert Gist, confirmed Friday he hasn't been in contact with the Heat, but he has talked with the Lakers.

"When Latrell thinks about the Lakers, he gets a big smile on his face," said Gist. "Playing alongside a great player like Kobe Bryant and for a great coach like Phil Jackson is something he's very intrigued by."

Sprewell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

turned down $7 million from Minnesota heading into last season and didn't expect to sign for anything less than $5 million going heading into the upcoming season.

The only way the Lakers could meet Sprewell's demands is by orchestrating a sign-and-trade deal with the Timberwolves, although that appears unlikely.

Kareem a Laker again: Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has been hired as a special assistant to work with the Lakers' big men at training camp and home practices. Abdul-Jabbar, who might do some traveling during the season, begins his assignment immediately.

Vincent Bonsignore, (818) 713-3612

[email protected]

bry3
09-04-2005, 09:57 AM
OMG!!! How is Sprewell supposed to feed his family?

CyberSnake
09-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I think its funny that Sprewell will be remembered for that comment now. He would have been remembered for being the bad mofo choking PJ, dude really funked up his balla image. lol

Dex
09-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I just find it funny that Sprewell spurned an offer for what, like 7 million a year from the Timberwolves because he was 'too good for that' and 'has a family to feed', and now he's stuck getting minimum offers because of his big, fat mouth. And he's STILL too egotistical to realize when he's beat.

Let him keep it up. Maybe his family will understand when he's not getting any paycheck whatsoever.

ObiwanGinobili
09-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I think we should start a charity fund so that Spree's family can make it thru this season with out starving.

:rolleyes

batman2883
09-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I hope he chokes Phil?

bry3
09-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I think we should start a charity fund so that Spree's family can make it thru this season with out starving.

:rolleyes

w3rd! feeding multi-millionaire family is the most important thing right now.

ObiwanGinobili
09-04-2005, 11:02 AM
yeah, there is nothing more important in my mind right now.

[/allfingerandtoesaredoublecrossedwhiletypingthis]

romsey31
09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Kobe and Sprewell on the same team??? LMAO. Spalding better start doubling their bball output. :lol

romsey31
09-04-2005, 04:41 PM
I just find it funny that Sprewell spurned an offer for what, like 7 million a year from the Timberwolves because he was 'too good for that' and 'has a family to feed', and now he's stuck getting minimum offers because of his big, fat mouth. And he's STILL too egotistical to realize when he's beat.

Let him keep it up. Maybe his family will understand when he's not getting any paycheck whatsoever.

Kinda reminds me of the SA-s jax situation.

Dex
09-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Kinda reminds me of the SA-s jax situation.

Yep. SJax turned down a perfectly good offer from San Antonio after 2003 because he wanted to cash in, and ended up getting stuck playing with the Hawks for peanuts.

Granted, he finally got his payday. It just took him a year in basketball hell while he proved to the league that he could put points on the board without TD down low.

I still miss Stephen every time I watch the 2003 championship video though. Guy was fearless with the three.

alamo50
09-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Kobe and Sprewell on the same team??? LMAO.

That was exactly the same reaction I had when I read this!

:lol

yeahone
09-05-2005, 04:55 PM
ohhh,,,my god,, how is the sprewell going to eat,,

jochhejaam
09-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Spree's gotta be kicking himself for not taking Minn up on it's offer.

His goof-up doesn't rival Juan Gonzalez turning down the Detroit Tigers offer in 2000 for 8 years and $148 miillion. He would have made $20 million with the Tigers this year, instead he made 600 thousand with the Indians and had 1 at bat. His greed and over-inflated ego cost him about $110 million.

yeahone
09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
we got to make a donation to the sprewell family befroe they die