PDA

View Full Version : Not worried, tbh.... actually encouraged.

ElNono
03-12-2015, 11:55 PM
If this is what Irving needs to do for 4 games to beat us, then bring them on...

I actually thought we played with the right attitude, if this game was a barometer of where the team is at, it's a very good sign.

TP and Kawhi carried us tonight, and hopefully Gino gets well soon so we don't have to play Beli more than he should.

Hopefully the teams builds on this, we stay healthy and we can close the season on a high note.

BillMc
03-12-2015, 11:56 PM
If this is what Irving needs to do for 4 games to beat us, then bring them on...

I actually thought we played with the right attitude, if this game was a barometer of where the team is at, it's a very good sign.

TP and Kawhi carried us tonight, and hopefully Gino gets well soon so we don't have to play Beli more than he should.

Hopefully the teams builds on this, we stay healthy and we can close the season on a high note.

I agree. I'd favor us in a series with the Cavs too. Worst thing about tonight is the loss in the standings. Second is the heavy minutes.

RD2191
spurs better not lose again in the reg season, i said.

Silver&Black
Glass is always half-full.

Kyrie isn't going to score 57 4 games in a playoff series...

pgardn
03-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Totally agree.

Stay healthy and try to move up a bit.
This is a totally different team. And no real Manu.
We are back.

RD2191
03-12-2015, 11:57 PM
lebron and kyrie can both go off for 30+ a piece imo.

marinoman
03-12-2015, 11:58 PM
We need better stretch 4 play imo, but for the most part I agree
Manu was sick anyways
asterik loss

timtonymanu
Yeah, no reason to worry. These kind of losses are demoralizing, though.

The Spurs will respond though. Had Manu been healthy tonight, we might have seen a different result.

Pound the rock
One free throw right before regulation and victory is ours

TheGreatYacht
These refs will be here for 7 games though...

Richie
03-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Agreed, Kyrie had a splash brothers night. We still should have won it with Kawhi at the line but with the way guys can shoot off the dribble these days these kinds of losses can happen.

Klay beat us shooting 8-9 from 3 in the playoffs a couple of years ago in our gym, it happens sometimes. Nobody can win a series like that.

FkLA
lebron and kyrie can both go off for 30+ a piece imo.

They would've lost by double digits if Kyrie was held under 40. OP is right, I aint even mad tbh.

Nathan89
At least Parker has players he can guard on the cavs unlike the gsw.

Nice wake-up call tbh. Choke job that will give them flashbacks to 6.

Arc
03-13-2015, 12:00 AM
this loss only sucks because #2 was looking a lot more obtainable with the way the other west teams have been playing lately, and the spurs basically blew the win because dude can't hit freebies. this team has got to stop losing games at the fucking line.

Floyd Pacquiao
Totally agree. Emo spurfags won't but the level headed vets will.

RD2191
They would've lost by double digits if Kyrie was held under 40. OP is right, I aint even mad tbh.
don't forget love. Spurs played damn near perfect on offense tonight and still lost. parkers defense is shit. offense is great but d is just wow.

ElNono
It was actually even more encouraging we only shot 30% from downtown (them 50%) and we were in a great position to win the game...

When this team can put itself on a position to win without the 3 ball, you know you're on the right track.

CitizenDwayne
:bobo Smart man.

cd98
03-13-2015, 12:01 AM
Agreed. The way Irving and Lebron played, they would've beaten anyone tonight. And Spurs probably would've beat everyone tonight but the Cavs.

peacemaker885
03-13-2015, 12:01 AM
Just get to the WCF.

ElNono
03-13-2015, 12:03 AM
Sure, the loss sucks and even more when it was just a freethrow away, but you can't erase what the team did for 47.5 mins and just fixate on the one freebie.

We played a solid game, it took a guy to go for 50+ to even take the game to overtime. Perspective.

mexicanjunior
Spurs aren't playing the Cavs again this year. This loss does nothing but re-enforce the fact that the Spurs blow games better than anyone this season and will continue to do it till their season ends in the first round.

Spur|n|Austin
Totally agree. Emo spurfags won't but the level headed vets will.

Budkin
03-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Yeah, no reason to worry. These kind of losses are demoralizing, though.

The Spurs will respond though. Had Manu been healthy tonight, we might have seen a different result.

If we can recover from 6 we can recover from anything.

hitmantb
One great thing about this game is loss is Irving will now compete with James as the #1 option on his team with the ego boost, it can potentially mess up their chemistry, just watch.

Mugen
Entertaining game tbh.

Horse
We outplayed their ass this was a major fluke.

FkLA
03-13-2015, 12:11 AM
don't forget love. Spurs played damn near perfect on offense tonight and still lost. parkers defense is shit. offense is great but d is just wow.

Love just sucks tbh.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 12:12 AM
Love just sucks tbh.
he may suck right now but he's a proven scorer. 1 game is all it takes a la ibaka

MultiTroll
03-13-2015, 12:26 AM
If
Has Chump still got his apron on from cooking you all up a fresh batch of crumpetts?

ElNono
03-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Has Chump still got his apron on from cooking you all up a fresh batch of crumpetts?

We're not going to win all the games Fabbs... this is a game where we competed well, and sure, it sucks to let it go at the end like that, but you can't be so shortsighted.

The way we were playing two weeks ago was extremely worrying. Now that we seemingly turned a page, it should be recognized, despite the loss.

MultiTroll
03-13-2015, 12:40 AM
We're not going to win all the games Fabbs... this is a game where we competed well, and sure, it sucks to let it go at the end like that, but you can't be so shortsighted.

The way we were playing two weeks ago was extremely worrying. Now that we seemingly turned a page, it should be recognized, despite the loss.
Closing with extremely low basketball I.Q. is extremely disappointing to me. The up by 6 under 30 / up by 3 under 5 sec has been researched ad nauseum. The moronic allowing of Irving to get both shots off is.....

ElNono
03-13-2015, 12:43 AM
Closing with extremely low basketball I.Q. is extremely disappointing to me. The up by 6 under 30 / up by 3 under 5 sec has been researched ad nauseum. The moronic allowing of Irving to get both shots off is.....

whenever you lose, the other option was always better... the reality is we lost this game with fairly shitty D in the 1st half and missing a lot of 3s and freethrows... it still took some fluky shit to get it to overtime and then to lose...

I'll always prefer the win, but even after losing, we did some stuff right too.

MultiTroll
03-13-2015, 12:52 AM
whenever you lose, the other option was always better...
No it's not even close to hindsight. Not allowing the 3s in that situation is elementary school basketball i.q. requirement.
With the history of no one ever winning 4 road series, this was a golden op to keep the upward move in seedings going.
To just farking give it away, that's the disappoinment.

SpurPadre
03-13-2015, 12:54 AM
You guys think Baynes would've made a positive impact tonight, at least in terms of putting a body on Thompson and/or giving Irving a hard foul in the lane?

rasuo214
03-13-2015, 01:04 AM
Shit happens, hopefully they learn from it and work on their FTs. Still encouraging to see the team do well against good competition, hopefully they can keep it up.

ElNono
03-13-2015, 01:06 AM
No it's not even close to hindsight. Not allowing the 3s in that situation is elementary school basketball i.q. requirement.
With the history of no one ever winning 4 road series, this was a golden op to keep the upward move in seedings going.
To just farking give it away, that's the disappoinment.

Pop never does that. The only time he decided to do it, we fucked up and lost the game (Pistons this season, IIRC). It is what it is.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 01:06 AM
only good i can take from tonight is that it wasn't a playoff game:lol

MultiTroll
03-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Pop never does that. The only time he decided to do it, we fucked up and lost the game (Pistons this season, IIRC). It is what it is.
You're presuming i mean foul. Which is the far better strategy.
However even better then that is position your defense so the opponent cannot get off a three. Or certainly a far more contested on the Irving got on both of these.
Both times Green gets screened out.
Spurs could have easily switched men on the 1st one. Up 6 why even give a fuck about a two. Did cia Popped learn nothing from Miami? :rolleyes Obviously not.
After his dumbfuck remark to the one and only media with a spine to ask him, took a Euro media at that.
Ditto the game tying trey. Why even bother to guard anyone in two point land, other then to not get the zone D whistle. As it was, Kawhi had to come all the way over from his man to guard Irving. Watch how both Green and one other defend Irving from going down towards the basket but he waltzes out untouched beyond the arc. Again its just beyond dense.

Arcadian
03-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Not worried either, and I don't even think the players should be anything like "demoralized." If anything, they'll be motivated, just like they were after 2013.

Bitches done fucked with the wrong team. Just like the 13 Heat. Except this time, they don't get rings for it. Just a +1 in the regular season win column.

ElNono
03-13-2015, 01:26 AM
You're presuming i mean foul. Which is the far better strategy.
However even better then that is position your defense so the opponent cannot get off a three. Or certainly a far more contested on the Irving got on both of these.
Both times Green gets screened out.
Spurs could have easily switched men on the 1st one. Up 6 why even give a fuck about a two. Did cia Popped learn nothing from Miami? :rolleyes Obviously not.
After his dumbfuck remark to the one and only media with a spine to ask him, took a Euro media at that.
Ditto the game tying trey. Why even bother to guard anyone in two point land, other then to not get the zone D whistle. As it was, Kawhi had to come all the way over from his man to guard Irving. Watch how both Green and one other defend Irving from going down towards the basket but he waltzes out untouched beyond the arc. Again its just beyond dense.

On the game tying 3 in regulation, TP was on Irving and he got screened, but Kawhi contested it...

IMO, there's no two ways about it. You either foul or you contest and hope for the best... you can't lean much on the shooter because you could end up in a 4 point play, and that's a real screw up. I thought fouling at the inbound would've been a good option, since they had no more TOs, but you know Pop... anyways, not going to go crazy over a shot or two. I thought if we played better in the 1st half, we should've won this game comfortably.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2015, 01:26 AM
only good i can take from tonight is that it wasn't a playoff game:lol

Oh man if that were a playoff game it would be a little tough to sleep tonight. I hate when sports do this to you but that would have made it ten times worse.

Mouth is Bleeding
03-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Yeah we win this game like 9 times out of 10 comfortably even if defending the PG position is still one our biggest worries and against some teams there is nowhere to really hide Tony when Green or Leonard is guarding the PG.

MateoNeygro
03-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Amazing game. So much fun to watch. I'd love to see a seven game series like this although I doubt my nerves can take it. Kyrie won't ever play that well again. I literally expected every single shot to drop. The LeBron three to go up 5 was the dagger. Def didn't expect him to hit that. For some reason, LeBron does not instill fear in me like Kobe used to.

MateoNeygro
03-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Also missed free throws lost us this game. So frustrating but proud of how they played.

Fireball
03-13-2015, 08:24 AM
It was a great game and you can only shake Kyries hand for his effort. As others said I am bummed that we missed another opportunity to move up in the standings. Our schedule to end the season is very tough and so our chances getting into 4th place were once again diminished tonight because Kawhi did not make his FTs. Barkley does not make sense often, but I agree with him that no WC team will survive 3 playoff rounds without having HCA at all. Spurs success in the playoffs depends on getting some rest by winning some series in 4 or 5 games. This will not happen without HCA ...

MultiTroll
03-13-2015, 09:11 AM
..but you know Pop...
That i do. :rolleyes
Tell Chumpie and T_Park to put a little extra sugar and cinnamon on my crumpett please.

you can't lean much on the shooter because you could end up in a 4 point play
And obviously Kawhii backed off Irving so he wouldn't get the pampered call. So did Green on the previous 3.
But my point is the Spurs had no business letting Irving get to both those spots untouched.
Beyond retarded.

bigfan
03-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Sometimes you will lose games, even at home. It sucks but you learn something and move on. A damn good game.

Agloco
03-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Most encouraging is the play of Diaw and Splitter. While Diaws shots is still off, hes improving. Splitter had some good defensive moments as well.

boutons_deux
03-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Encouraged because they played very hard, like PLAYOFF HARD, shot 56%, AST/FG 50%+, won rebounds (hustle), missed FTs like the 2003 Champs, but just got killed by KI's performance which he will probably never repeat.

Old School 44
03-13-2015, 09:49 AM
I'd never try to take that foul with 4 seconds left and up by 3. Timing it right is so hard to do. With 4 seconds left everyone knows you have to get up a three, including the officials. With the way they allow continuation, guys like Irving, Paul, Harden, Lillard, Westbrook, Durant, James, Curry, Thompson, Ellis and Crawford would be shooting three free throws, or worse 1 free throw for a 4 point play to win the game. Just moments earlier they almost gave Irving a continuation on a layup attempt. Just to do a good contest without fouling, and if they make it so be it.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 09:56 AM
tbh it really was a moral victory, kawhi is obviously in lbj's head and owns him repeatedly. needing your pg to drop 55+ to get a win isn't something that should be celebrated or seen as something positive.

Legacy
03-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Fluke loss, imo. I'm not worried, either... but the crucial missed free throws during the last few minutes of the 4th quarter when the game is on the line have GOT TO STOP. Again... MAKE YOUR FUCKING FREE THROWS!!

RD2191
03-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Fluke loss, imo. I'm not worried, either... but the crucial missed free throws during the last few minutes of the 4th quarter when the game is on the line have GOT TO STOP. Again... MAKE YOUR FUCKING FREE THROWS!!
everyone bricked last night, that's what's worrying:lol

gameFACE
03-13-2015, 10:29 AM
Not too pissed about the loss. LeBron was due to win here even if it took a miraculous effort from Irving. Spurs are holding on to the 6th seed by a hair. Not sure who I want to win in the Clips vs Mavs game tonight.

Strategic
03-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Sure, the loss sucks and even more when it was just a freethrow away, but you can't erase what the team did for 47.5 mins and just fixate on the one freebie.

We played a solid game, it took a guy to go for 50+ to even take the game to overtime. Perspective.
This is true. I thought the Cavs' celebrated as if they won a series. This is only third game I've been able to watch this year. Looked to me like Manu has lost some weight of late. Hope it doesn't take too long to regain his strength. Can't picture Irving doing this when pressure is on.

Mikeanaro
03-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Im worried tbh, actually scarred cant feel my feet.

Sean Cagney
03-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Damn FT's man, I tell you. Tim made 2-2 late and then our SF steps up and misses three in a row. It was a fluke loss in a season full of fluke losses, now it's not a fluke if it keeps happening lol. They have some bad luck at times man I swear, unbelievable shots fall and some guy just flat out goes off. I guess thats karma and the price you pay for being 5 time champs and the BBALL GODS have to give you some bad luck to go along with the titles and decades of winning. I will take it.

Oh yeah, MAKE YOUR FUCKING FT's, agreed.

ElNono
03-13-2015, 01:39 PM
"A few of those shots, it just left my hands and I kind of threw them up at the rim and I was lucky enough and blessed enough that they went in," Irving said.

One of those games, tbh

Hoops Czar
03-13-2015, 01:42 PM

The mental aspect of the game can be the most difficult aspect to overcome. It's the 6+ game this season that you could say this aboout a Spurs loss. This has been a chronic issue that has plagued them all season long and if it doesn't get ironed out very soon, the Spurs will find them on the losing end of many close games in the playoffs. If games were only 47.5 minutes long, the Spurs would be on their way to a 60 win season.

ElNono
03-13-2015, 02:00 PM
The mental aspect of the game can be the most difficult aspect to overcome. It's the 6+ game this season that you could say this aboout a Spurs loss. This has been a chronic issue that has plagued them all season long and if it doesn't get ironed out very soon, the Spurs will find them on the losing end of many close games in the playoffs. If games were only 47.5 minutes long, the Spurs would be on their way to a 60 win season.

What mental aspect? This team overcame perhaps the worst loss in NBA Finals history and came back stronger. Doubting this team's mental fortitude at this point is ridiculous.

I can't think of one season where we didn't lose closely contested games, even during TD's prime. People make much ado about this stuff since Game 6, but the Spurs used to lose games like this all the time prior to that, even in the playoffs.

This season has been rough due to injuries, some coasting, etc, but the team has come around in the last week or so. That doesn't mean they're going to win every game or that they're a lock to ring, but with efforts like last night you're definitely going to win more games than you're going to lose.

Hoops Czar
03-13-2015, 02:57 PM
What mental aspect? This team overcame perhaps the worst loss in NBA Finals history and came back stronger. Doubting this team's mental fortitude at this point is ridiculous.

I can't think of one season where we didn't lose closely contested games, even during TD's prime. People make much ado about this stuff since Game 6, but the Spurs used to lose games like this all the time prior to that, even in the playoffs.

This season has been rough due to injuries, some coasting, etc, but the team has come around in the last week or so. That doesn't mean they're going to win every game or that they're a lock to ring, but with efforts like last night you're definitely going to win more games than you're going to lose.

The ridiculousness of your reply is ridiculously ridiculous. Not sure what last year has to do with this year. The Spurs averaged 15+ margin of victory during last year's post season. Not sure I mentioned anything about last year's mental fortitude nor the ability to get back to championship form this season. Who's questioning the effort? The effort has been there all season long. Sometimes, it just looks bad when players are missing shots, turning it over or playing on bad hamstrings. Don't confuse execution with effort. Free throws are as much mental as they are physical. Unless it's technique, it's likely in the player's head. That could become a problem if the Spurs are playing a lot of close games in the playoffs. Not sure how the rest of this post applies to what I said. Sure, the Spurs have lost close games in the past and they'll continue to lose close games 50 years from now. So what?

ElNono
03-13-2015, 03:07 PM
The ridiculousness of your reply is ridiculously ridiculous. Not sure what last year has to do with this year. The Spurs averaged 15+ margin of victory during last year's post season. Not sure I mentioned anything about last year's mental fortitude nor the ability to get back to championship form this season. Who's questioning the effort? The effort has been there all season long. Sometimes, it just looks bad when players are missing shots, turning it over or playing on bad hamstrings. Don't confuse execution with effort. Free throws are as much mental as they are physical. Unless it's technique, it's likely in the player's head. That could become a problem if the Spurs are playing a lot of close games in the playoffs. Not sure how the rest of this post applies to what I said. Sure, the Spurs have lost close games in the past and they'll continue to lose close games 50 years from now. So what?

Because it's the exact same team. They've been a bit more banged up, perhaps a little less interested this season, but you can't separate this team from last. It's the same damn team.

Last season team also lost close games in the playoffs: Game 3 against Dallas, Game 2 in the Finals. Sometimes it just happens, without some "mental brouhaha" going on.

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 03:10 PM
WoW Power to El nono for having the patience talking to a numbnut. :lol

It's like trying to talk to mentally retarded kid.

Malik Hairston
03-13-2015, 03:12 PM
WoW Power to El nono for having the patience talking to a numbnut. :lol

It's like trying to talk to mentally retarded kid.

:lmao..

TheGreatYacht
03-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Good thread until the Alt's came in and ruined it, tbh

Hoops Czar
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Because it's the exact same team. They've been a bit more banged up, perhaps a little less interested this season, but you can't separate this team from last. It's the same damn team.

Last season team also lost close games in the playoffs: Game 3 against Dallas, Game 2 in the Finals. Sometimes it just happens, without some "mental brouhaha" going on.

Yep, you're right. It's the same damn team however, the environment has changed. It's not the same damn league. Also, game two of the finals... Parker's 4 missed free throws... should have been a sweep Nono, should have been a sweep. Personally, I think the Spurs can win but, they don't have the same margin for error as they did last year especially when they're coming in as the road team. That's why free throws can play a huge role in the postseason.

Mikeanaro
03-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Yep, you're right. It's the same damn team however, the environment has changed. It's not the same damn league. Also, game two of the finals... Parker's 4 missed free throws... should have been a sweep Nono, should have been a sweep. Personally, I think the Spurs can win but, they don't have the same margin for error as they did last year especially when they're coming in as the road team. That's why free throws can play a huge role in the postseason.
They are the same players=same team and same ticky tacky league get over it stop carrying the corpse.

SnakeBoy
03-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Not too pissed about the loss. LeBron was due to win here even if it took a miraculous effort from Irving. Spurs are holding on to the 6th seed by a hair. Not sure who I want to win in the Clips vs Mavs game tonight.

Mavs

BlackSilver
03-13-2015, 03:29 PM
My gosh, how can anyone be really discouraged by this loss? Kyrie had a sick game out of his mind. Total props to him, but I don't see how Spurs let him do that again with time to prepare. Lebron vs Kawhi was so much fun to watch. This was just a great game to watch even though we lost. I loved our competitiveness and intensity.

Whoever said we had a near perfect offensive game...SMH. Seemed like Spurs lived in the paint all night while the Cavs were shooting more jumpers and making them. I thought the Spurs had a relatively easy offensive game compared to the Cavs.

I like Mozgov, but he has hands of stone in traffic. Lebron seems to have slowed down just a bit, although his post-up play can still be a weapon. JR is gonna do JR crap. I remember going to a Spurs-Nuggets game once and while the Spurs were doing their full pregame warmup drills until the last possible minute, JR spent a good 5 minutes heaving half-court shots. He actually practices those numbnut shots. Kevin Love's role is a mystery and looks like he's shriveled up. They'll need to discover him or they won't go far. I don't see them getting past the Hawks actually.

Overall I felt really encouraged by the Spurs' performance.

ElNono
03-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Last year we didn't have that huge a margin of error. I think everybody is enamored with the blowout wins (granted, who isn't), but we were on the brink at least a couple of times, and we could've easily not won it. Monta/Dirk have an inspired game 7 and Tony/Manu do not, and now we would be talking about how this team is 1st round fodder "again". Same with Gino's 3, Kawhi's steal and Tim's turnaround shot against OKC. Then we would be talking how "nothing matters because we can't beat OKC anyways".

It's always hard to win it all, and it was hard last season too. It's not just freebies that are important, is all the little details. I think this team for a while this season, be it because it was not whole, or because they were disinterested, or any other reason, didn't work on the little things, and it cost us.

But then over the last couple of weeks they have started to play harder, smarter, and it looks like they're finally building towards something. Last night loss sucked, but I thought it was another step in the right direction, building towards being the best team we can be. Sometimes some NBA player is going to go nuts and there's little you can do. You tip your hat and hope he can't do that for 4 straight games. That's all there is to it.

TD 21
03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
I am. The complete and utter inability of this team to close out games this season is alarming. At some point, it's not just bad luck or a fluke from the opposition. I don't want to hear about superior 1-on-1 talent either; this was about them once again shooting themselves in the foot. It was also about the coach putting his ego before the team and not fouling up three late. Maybe it'll take another 50 national TV embarrassments before he concedes.

Also, for as great a game as it was and for as much intensity as they're playing with lately, they (particularly Parker) can't maintain this for another 3 months. They need to start blowing out some teams early and getting the top players more rest. Diaw and Mills especially need to start playing better.

As far as Irving, he was the reincarnation of Curry in game 1 in '13. Those two and Lillard, with their ability to make off the dribble contested threes, occasionally get in those zones where the only possible way to contain them is to trap them. But with James essentially playing the four most of the way down the stretch, he'd have killed them as the secondary play maker, so I can't fault them for not doing so.

People complain about Belinelli instead of Splitter down the stretch, but the Cavs were playing small and the Spurs obviously couldn't stop them, so they needed to attempt to outscore them. Ginobili's illness and Diaw's inability to make a three left Belinelli as the natural fifth in this situation unfortunately.