PDA

View Full Version : Spurs contested 30 of Kyrie's 32 FGA

SpursFan86
03-13-2015, 01:02 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/34/34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2 e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

Splits
03-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Damn, that link is PROOF

spursparker9
03-13-2015, 01:04 AM

SpursFan86

Buddy Mignon
This game should be remembered as The Wet One.

spursparker9

rasuo214
03-13-2015, 01:19 AM
Gotta have Danny on Kyrie from the start and Parker on JR Smith, plus a 100% Manu will help as well.

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 01:35 AM
Gotta have Danny on Kyrie from the start and Parker on JR Smith, plus a 100% Manu will help as well.

The issue is foul trouble..

You want Danny and Kawhi playing in the fourth.

rasuo214
03-13-2015, 01:43 AM
The issue is foul trouble..

You want Danny and Kawhi playing in the fourth.

Which is why a healthy Manu will help, give either a break or switch their defensive roles if they get into foul trouble early.

james evans
03-13-2015, 01:49 AM
To stop a guy like irving, you've got to attack him on defense and take his legs from him. When he was killing parker in the first half, parker was killing him too.When they switched Green to guard him, he guarded green, and all green did was stand at the 3 point line for open 3's. When a guy is killing you like that, and it's a guy that can't play defense, you've got to attack him. Brad Daughtery said Jordan told him the best thing Cleveland did was trade Ron Harper for Danny Ferry. People forget how athletic ron harper used to be prior to his knee injury with the clippers. They forget the trouble he gave jordan. Jordan was hid on defense during the bulls finals. Having Dan Majrle guard you and not having to play any defense, while pippen, grant, and bj armstrong/paxson had their hands full with kj, dumas, and barkley allowed him to average 41 a game. If we meet them in the finals, hopefully he'll have green post him up

KL2
03-13-2015, 02:30 AM
Not all contests are equal, especially with Parker guarding him lol, I think he scored something like 40 of his points against him.

Green on Irving, Parker on Smith, let Smith try to beat you. You can't let a guy go off like that, shooting just becomes too easy the rest of the game, the damage is done early.

exstatic
03-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Kyrie just playing HORSE.

SASdynasty!
03-13-2015, 07:27 AM
Pop admittedly didn't know how to guard a player that hot, but at least we have people on ST who do.

MateoNeygro
03-13-2015, 07:42 AM
One of the best individual performances I've seen in my 20+ years of watching NBA Ball.

spursparker9
03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Kinda remind me of that 3OT against Portland where Lillard also went god-mode.

Spurs really need to start scouting for an elite point guard defender against elite PG like Westbrook,Lillard,Irving,Curry

hater
03-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Meh they let kylia go wherever he wanted on the floor. Doesn't matter if we partially contested the shots. He was taking the shots he wanted.

Sure that was pop strategy but kyliawent supernova. It happens. It will happen with Eliancito Gonzales too.

MultiTroll
03-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Meh they let kylia go wherever he wanted on the floor. Doesn't matter if we partially contested the shots. He was taking the shots he wanted.

Agloco
03-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Kinda remind me of that 3OT against Portland where Lillard also went god-mode.

Spurs really need to start scouting for an elite point guard defender against elite PG like Westbrook,Lillard,Irving,Curry

This. At the very least we should have tried CoJo on him for a few minutes.

George Gervin's Afro
03-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Dude is a baller..no shame in that.

james evans
03-13-2015, 09:31 AM
when parker's guarding u, it's like playing against one of these..
http://img.oo.com.au/prod/SPDMBK00002/1b.jpg

PingPong
03-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Dude never had a great game against the Spurs. But he had fantastic games against other teams, even before Bron came back.

spurraider21
03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Kyrie's highlights :wow

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=836195866452266&fref=nf

:lol

therealtruth
03-13-2015, 05:33 PM
To stop a guy like irving, you've got to attack him on defense and take his legs from him. When he was killing parker in the first half, parker was killing him too.When they switched Green to guard him, he guarded green, and all green did was stand at the 3 point line for open 3's. When a guy is killing you like that, and it's a guy that can't play defense, you've got to attack him. Brad Daughtery said Jordan told him the best thing Cleveland did was trade Ron Harper for Danny Ferry. People forget how athletic ron harper used to be prior to his knee injury with the clippers. They forget the trouble he gave jordan. Jordan was hid on defense during the bulls finals. Having Dan Majrle guard you and not having to play any defense, while pippen, grant, and bj armstrong/paxson had their hands full with kj, dumas, and barkley allowed him to average 41 a game. If we meet them in the finals, hopefully he'll have green post him up

Exactly. Pop probably doesn't get it because he doesn't believe in the hot hand. When a player has that good a rhythm you can't just contest their shots. You've got to actively do something to break their rhythm. Forcing them into bad matchups or a more physical game are some of the things you can do. That's why you'll hear alot of old school players talk about knocking someone down that's shooting well. You're trying to disrupt their offensive rhythm.

Basically when a guy is feeling it, contesting is simply not good enough. I don't know how many losses it will take for Pop to figure that out. You've got to be able to tell who's hot and who's cold and adjust your gameplan accordingly.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 05:35 PM
kyrie had a career high last night. the dude averages 22ppg. dude is far from a superstar. dude just had the best shooting night of his his career and still barely got the cavs by the spurs. lets not overreact to one fluke game.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Exactly. Pop probably doesn't get it because he doesn't believe in the hot hand. When a player has that good a rhythm you can't just contest their shots. You've got to actively do something to break their rhythm. Forcing them into bad matchups or a more physical game are some of the things you can do. That's why you'll hear alot of old school players talk about knocking someone down that's shooting well. You're trying to disrupt their offensive rhythm.

Basically when a guy is feeling it, contesting is simply not good enough. I don't know how many losses it will take for Pop to figure that out. You've got to be able to tell who's hot and who's cold and adjust your gameplan accordingly.
pop isnt an idiot. "hot hand" usually last 1 game. kyrie will never shoot like that against the spurs. it was 1 game. he wont do it 4 times when it matters.

FkLA
03-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Not all contests are equal, especially with Parker guarding him lol, I think he scored something like 40 of his points against him.

Green on Irving, Parker on Smith, let Smith try to beat you. You can't let a guy go off like that, shooting just becomes too easy the rest of the game, the damage is done early.

Yep. Pretty sure simply putting your hand up like Rique or Bonner is considered a contest even though it doesn't really affect the shooter.

therealtruth
03-13-2015, 07:19 PM
pop isnt an idiot. "hot hand" usually last 1 game. kyrie will never shoot like that against the spurs. it was 1 game. he wont do it 4 times when it matters.

Yeah but you can't afford to give up games like that in the playoffs. I still think the Spurs are in good shape and they will be tough to beat 4 times. But this isn't the first time and tends to be a pattern with Pop. That is guys getting their career highs against us.

james evans
03-13-2015, 08:45 PM
if parker is guarding him he will. We are in the west. It's pg heavy. We are no longer able to hide Parker on defense with teams stacking their rosters with 3 point shooters. it's like most of them are running a 4-1 offense.

RD2191
03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
if parker is guarding him he will. We are in the west. It's pg heavy. We are no longer able to hide Parker on defense with teams stacking their rosters with 3 point shooters. it's like most of them are running a 4-1 offense.
as i said before, he could easily drop 30+ on parker in a 7 game series. wont matter if no one on the team joins him though.

Horse
03-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Luck chuck

Gagnrath
03-13-2015, 09:08 PM
we know that Parkers offense is good and his defense is questionable.that's not going to change. we also know that struggling over screens and chasing someone from one side of the court to the other through the paint wears defenders out. why don't we plan to have green do this quite a bit more as per Ray Allen to wear people out. he can still be a catch and shoot shooter but that makes the defense struggle more especially if we can have baynes set a key screen right around the hIgh post.

still.focused
03-13-2015, 10:40 PM
This is why you simply foul him and not give him a chance to shoot the fucking 3
When a players hot you cant rely on anything stopping him from making impossible shots
But you cant make a 3 that you didnt get to shoot
Park his ass on the line for 2 & regain possesion
But nooooooo we wanna give him the opportunity to continue bein en fuego
And if that wasnt enough an extra session of him goin apeshit
Im just dumbfounded on Pops stance on late game fouling
But I guess if you wont do it to win the chip why would you do it in the regular season

look_at_g_shred
03-14-2015, 09:40 AM
This is why you simply foul him and not give him a chance to shoot the fucking 3
When a players hot you cant rely on anything stopping him from making impossible shots
But you cant make a 3 that you didnt get to shoot
Park his ass on the line for 2 & regain possesion
But nooooooo we wanna give him the opportunity to continue bein en fuego
And if that wasnt enough an extra session of him goin apeshit
Im just dumbfounded on Pops stance on late game fouling
But I guess if you wont do it to win the chip why would you do it in the regular season
Yes and give him a chance to intentionally miss the second free throw, get the board and still win the game. Because the Spurs are so great at boxing out and securing important rebounds.

Seventyniner
03-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Pop knows that all you can really do is contest every shot and hope for the best. You can control whether you contest shots, you can't control whether they go in. If a guy is going to torch you when nearly every shot is contested, you just have to tip your cap and move on.

Obstructed_View
03-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Pop knows that all you can really do is contest every shot and hope for the best.

No he doesn't, or he wouldn't hack bad foul shooters. Fouling with a three point lead is playing the percentages, exactly like employing the hack-a-Shaq. The only difference is that it all but guarantees a win with less than five seconds to go.

03-14-2015, 10:25 AM
No he doesn't, or he wouldn't hack bad foul shooters. Fouling with a three point lead is playing the percentages, exactly like employing the hack-a-Shaq. The only difference is that it all but guarantees a win with less than five seconds to go.

Pop needs to get over himself

DesignatedT
03-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I like the idea of fouling when there's enough time but 3 seconds leaves you suceptible to a 4 pt play opportunity and in the NBA these players can knocks down threes while getting hit. It's easier said then done to "not let them get a shot up". With only three seconds these players will go right into there shot when catching the ball. They can also see if a player has the intention of fouling on purposes.

T Park
03-14-2015, 10:48 AM
This. At the very least we should have tried CoJo on him for a few minutes.

Lmao

Horse
03-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Lmao
Do you not think he would've played better D than Parker? Maybe his D is more annoying to Irving for some reason.

Horse
03-14-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm watching the game right now and time and time again Irving drives into double, triple teams and just throws up some junk that just Rolls in.

Seventyniner
03-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I like the idea of fouling when there's enough time but 3 seconds leaves you suceptible to a 4 pt play opportunity and in the NBA these players can knocks down threes while getting hit. It's easier said then done to "not let them get a shot up". With only three seconds these players will go right into there shot when catching the ball. They can also see if a player has the intention of fouling on purposes.

Agreed. Fouling a three point shooter is the worst thing you can do in that situation.

Pauleta14
03-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Pop admittedly didn't know how to guard a player that hot, but at least we have people on ST who do.

heyheymymy
03-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Reminded me of games with Steve Nash back in the '00's when he would just get off no matter what. Kyrie was just unstoppable, even circus shots were dropping and he was just electric, weaving through the entire defense.

Also kinda reminded me of Dragic getting off for 4 straight games in the 2010 WCSF. Another example of players just totally wet and playing like a walking Jesus Jordan over here.

still.focused
03-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Yes and give him a chance to intentionally miss the second free throw, get the board and still win the game. Because the Spurs are so great at boxing out and securing important rebounds.
Man stfu
He makes the 1st Spurs are up 2
You take you chances w/ Baynes Leonard and TD securing the rebound or at worse a deflection and out of bounds after running some clock
IIIIIIIF SA doesnt secure the ball CLE still has to
IIIIIIIF CLE secures they still have to get a decent shot off
IIIIIIIF CLE gets a decent shot off they still have to make it
IIIIIIIF they make it we still have OT to pull out the win
IIIIIIIF they get a 3 itll be rushed/low percentage after securing and a kickout
IIIIIIIF they make the 3 they earned it, hit the showers
But what we didnt do is allow a guy having a career night get a good look at a 3
Comprende sensei?

still.focused
03-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Agreed. Fouling a three point shooter is the worst thing you can do in that situation.

Manu plays the pass not the inbounder and simply kamikaze lunges into Kyrie going for the ball
Deflection, turnover, loose ball foul and at worse a long 3 off a broken inbound play? ill take all of those
Likely just a loose ball foul 2 shots for CLE, since its on the pass its not a dead ball foul where CLE get poss
Baynes TD and Kawhi go earn their checks & battle for the board on the missed free throw
Im not a coach but this is all the more reason why it irks me. If I can think of this shit Im sure Pop can
He clearly play the intentional foul game, just not for the win?

I'm watching the game right now and time and time again Irving drives into double, triple teams and just throws up some junk that just Rolls in.
You feel me, dude was lights out
Percentages & contests were out the window once he got hot
Playing good defense wasnt really even a viable option

look_at_g_shred
03-15-2015, 08:48 AM
That one 3 where Kyrie was in the corner and danny hand his whole arm in the dudes face and his shot goes in perfectly, that pretty much summises the game.

therealtruth
03-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Manu plays the pass not the inbounder and simply kamikaze lunges into Kyrie going for the ball
Deflection, turnover, loose ball foul and at worse a long 3 off a broken inbound play? ill take all of those
Likely just a loose ball foul 2 shots for CLE, since its on the pass its not a dead ball foul where CLE get poss
Baynes TD and Kawhi go earn their checks & battle for the board on the missed free throw
Im not a coach but this is all the more reason why it irks me. If I can think of this shit Im sure Pop can
He clearly play the intentional foul game, just not for the win?

You feel me, dude was lights out
Percentages & contests were out the window once he got hot
Playing good defense wasnt really even a viable option

I think coaches need to aggressively go for the ball in that situation instead of reacting to the offense. When the guy gets off a 3 in that situation no amount of contesting is really going to change that.

It's much better to aggressively go for the steal. The worse thing that happens is you get called for the foul. The best case scenario is you get the steal. Regardless you've prevented them from dictating what happens and our forcing their offense to react to your defense. The Spurs have got killed so much by those last second plays over the years it's ridiculous.

Also that's where not believing in the hot hand gets you burned. If a guy is hot, the contests really don't matter. You've got to break their rhythm.

T Park
03-19-2015, 01:33 AM
Do you not think he would've played better D than Parker? Maybe his D is more annoying to Irving for some reason.

Yeah Corey Joseph would've dropped more than 31. He's a third string freaking point guard genius

Horse
03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Yeah Corey Joseph would've dropped more than 31. He's a third string freaking point guard genius
I'm talking defense cockstain. And it was worth a try not saying he would've shut him down.

TampaDude
03-21-2015, 04:58 AM
In the end, it doesn't matter.

T Park
03-23-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm talking defense cockstain. And it was worth a try not saying he would've shut him down.

He wouldn't have done jack crap genius.