PDA

View Full Version : NBA: From McDonald's All-American to McDonald's worker: How David Harrison lost his way.

spursparker9
03-13-2015, 03:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pon33i04LBw

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/d634Eqv.YwVSvHPgWU8GnQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTgwMDtpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-03-13/66350c40-c940-11e4-9e0c-652f5cf31998_harrison1.jpg

Former Indiana Pacers center David Harrison, a little more than a decade removed from being a first-round pick in the NBA draft, has struggled to make a consistent living since his basketball career ended – to the point he said he took a job working at McDonald's two years ago.

"I was embarrassed because of where I could be in life," Harrison told Yahoo Sports. "Everybody has to work and make a living somehow. I have two children. They don't care where I work. They just need to eat.

"People were showing up trying to take my car. My house was in foreclosure. I didn't have any income. I just had everything going out. I have child support to one son. I have a really big family and I have to take care of them, even through I'm not playing in the NBA. I needed money."

Harrison made $4.4 million before taxes during four seasons with Indiana and also played in China professionally for three seasons. He said almost all of that money is gone. Now 32 and without a college degree, Harrison said he's having a hard time finding a job.

"An NBA career is a fragile thing," said Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, who coached Harrison with the Pacers. "It tips on the slimmest of margins one way or the other. There are a lot of guys who get a taste of it. David had some pretty good years for us when I was there."

Harrison played in the McDonald's All-America Game in 2001 after being a two-time Mr. Basketball in Tennessee. The 2004 All-Big 12 first-team pick was a starter in three seasons at Colorado and averaged 17 points and 8.8 rebounds as a junior during the 2003-04 season. The Pacers drafted him with the 29th overall selection in the first round of the 2004 NBA draft.
"I never felt more helpless than when I guarding him," said ex-Colorado forward Chris Copeland, now with the Pacers. "In college he was unbelievable.

"He was a special athlete. He was very misunderstood. A smart guy. A deep thinker. When you're that intelligent and that deep with your thoughts, sometimes people don't understand where you are coming from."

Harrison was just a rookie when he was part of the "Malice at the Palace" brawl on Nov. 19, 2004, in Auburn Hills, Mich. After a fan threw a drink on Pacers forward Ron Artest, Artest and his teammates fought Detroit fans in the stands. A police report said Harrison punched a 67-year-old fan as he attempted to get to the Pacers' locker room. Harrison was also hit by a chair, kicked and punched.

Harrison vividly recalls Artest, now Metta World Peace, asking teammates in the locker room if he thought the fight was a big deal.

"Ron says, 'Hey, my bad guys. I'm sorry. I didn't know I had so many real [expletives] on this team,' " Harrison said. "Then he says out loud, 'Hey, do you think we are going to get fined?' Anthony [Johnson] says, '[Expletive] a fine, Ron. They are going to suspend us.'

"Then Ron was literally like my 6-year-old son and [said], 'Oh man, you think they're going to suspend us? I don't want to be suspended.' And everyone starts laughing." :lol:lol:lol

Harrison also couldn't forget the bus ride leaving Auburn Hills.

"We are on the bus and they told us to lay on the ground because there were reports of people showing up to the stadium armed with guns," Harrison said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/from-mcdonald-s-all-american-to-mcdonald-s-worker--how-david-harrison-lost-his-way-after-the-nba-055853807.html

Technique
03-13-2015, 03:59 AM
Playing for the NBA is like winning the lottery. You earn milliions, but once it's gone, and gone all too soon - many NBA players start to ponder the meaning of life after basketball. This is another case of life after basketball, star or not, what does a basketball player do with his skills in life once his body is deteriorated? That is the inevitable question in the NBA.

Malik Hairston
03-13-2015, 04:02 AM
Playing for the NBA is like winning the lottery. You earn milliions, but once it's gone, and gone all too soon - many NBA players start to ponder the meaning of life after basketball. This is another case of life after basketball, star or not, what does a basketball player do with his skills in life once his body is deteriorated? That is the inevitable question in the NBA.

Damn, that's deep, man..

AaronY
03-13-2015, 04:14 AM
Damn, that's deep, man..
2deep4u

Red Hawk #21
03-13-2015, 07:17 AM
"From McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Worker" :rollin

Thread
03-13-2015, 08:02 AM
I'd like to work there just to make an edible Big Mac, or, two for myself. Christ.

jeebus
03-13-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm shocked. You mean going to college and taking a bunch of African American studies classes doesn't get you a job when your monkeyball career goes down the toilet?

apalisoc_9
03-13-2015, 08:52 AM
lol why isn't he playing overseas?

DMC
03-13-2015, 05:58 PM
My guess would be that he hangs out with short cocky fuckers at night clubs.

Boo fucking hoo, millionaire is broke because his posse took all his money and shit on him. Every black kid wants to be a pimp, even to this day.

DMC
03-13-2015, 05:58 PM
"From McDonald's All-American to McDonald's Worker" :rollin
That's not really that funny.

Thread
03-13-2015, 06:47 PM
My guess would be that he hangs out with short cocky fuckers at night clubs.

Boo fucking hoo, millionaire is broke because his posse took all his money and shit on him. Every black kid wants to be a pimp, even to this day.

Twice in the same week D gets up offin' his ass & lodges a sage effort.

DMC

Red Hawk #21
03-13-2015, 06:57 PM
That's not really that funny.

To you?

Franklin
03-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Most people don't make 4.4 million throughout their lifetimes, let alone 4 years. If he had been careful enough with his money he would've never been in such a broke state as he currently is. But hey, he's a nigga and making a nigga spend money wisely is just as hard as keeping your dick soft while looking at naked Scarlett photos tbh.