PDA

View Full Version : UT Chancellor McRaven opposes open carry bill

Winehole23
03-13-2015, 01:24 PM
In his letter, McRaven cautions that his opposition to the proposal stems from his concern for the safety of students, faculty and staff. He said his office has received calls from those groups, as well as law enforcement and mental health professionals, raising concerns about campus carry.

"There is great concern that the presence of handguns, even if limited to licensed individuals age 21 or older, will lead to an increase in both accidental shootings and self-inflicted wounds," he wrote.

He also cited concerns about allowing weapons in the university system's hospitals, where emotions run high, and laboratories, where chemicals and high tech equipment are in use.

In his letter, McRaven, who became chancellor this month, makes no mention of his background. A four-star admiral, he is the former commander of U.S. Special Operations Command and is best known for leading the successful raid to kill Osama bin Laden.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/29/mcraven-campus-carry-would-create-less-safe-enviro/

DMX7
03-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Good for him. Too bad the gov doesn't.

TheSanityAnnex
03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Not a fan of open carry and those faggots pushing it

CosmicCowboy
03-13-2015, 06:08 PM

X2

They give average gun owners a bad rep.

CosmicCowboy
03-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Fun facts to know and tell...

Bill McRaven is a San Antonio native that went to Macarthur.

unleashbaynes
03-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Hopefully this shuts those idiots up. Nobody is gonna be comfortable in a room with like 5 small dick having faggots displaying a fucking killing tool on their hip.

CosmicCowboy
03-13-2015, 10:21 PM
To clarify the quote in the OP McRaven was in charge of the mission to kill Bin Laden but technically did not lead the actual raid on the ground. He was back in Afghanistan. Not to disparage his previous record and heroics. He's a genuine soft spoken badass.

baseline bum
03-13-2015, 11:01 PM

I agree. The gun should always be a nice surprise to a mugger / carjacker / etc

The Reckoning
03-13-2015, 11:57 PM
To clarify the quote in the OP McRaven was in charge of the mission to kill Bin Laden but technically did not lead the actual raid on the ground. He was back in Afghanistan. Not to disparage his previous record and heroics. He's a genuine soft spoken badass.

he can manage, that's all UT needs him to do

boutons_deux
03-14-2015, 09:35 AM
McRaven opposition means nothing to how the NRA-shills in the TX legislature will vote.

Spurminator
03-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Does "campus carry" mean openly carrying on campus, or does it include concealed carrying too? Seems like he's opposing guns on campus at all.

boutons_deux
03-14-2015, 10:51 AM
1000s of guns in the hands of drunk students is wonderful idea.

100s of dead, injured, disabled innocent students from certain gun accidents, drunken shootings, etc is much better than the CHANCE of a Virginia Tech.

The Reckoning
03-14-2015, 07:03 PM
1000s of guns in the hands of drunk students is wonderful idea.

100s of dead, injured, disabled innocent students from certain gun accidents, drunken shootings, etc is much better than the CHANCE of a Virginia Tech.

are you hoping for that to happen so it proves them wrong?

pgardn
03-14-2015, 10:01 PM
X2

Holy shit.
Something that makes sense...

TeyshaBlue
03-15-2015, 09:18 PM
X2

co-signed.

boutons_deux
03-16-2015, 03:03 AM
but all the dead kids, spouses, friends, cops, gun instructors injured or dead from gun accidents don't hurt gun fellators' rep, they're in the Good Cause of Freedom! (to make profits!)

guns for everyone everywhere all the time! It's The American Way!

Spurminator
03-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Senate Republicans pass open carry bill for handguns in Texas

By TERRENCE STUTZ [email protected]

Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Licensed Texans would be allowed to openly carry handguns in a shoulder or belt holster — like the Old West — under legislation tentatively approved by the Senate on Monday after emotional debate that sharply divided Democrats and Republicans.

Under the measure by Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, Texas would join most other states in authorizing open carry of handguns — as long as the person has a state concealed handgun license. Currently, about 826,000 Texans have concealed handgun licenses, nearly 3 percent of the state’s population.

The bill, approved on a party-line 20-11 vote, would be effective on Jan. 1, 2016. Texans can already carry long guns, such as rifles, openly.

In seeking approval for the measure, Estes said the change in law “is the way to go” for those who believe in freedom. Further, he said, the handgun license holders “have been vetted and trained, and can decide what is best for them. I have great confidence in our license holders that they will do the right thing.”

Estes said his legislation is similar to what Oklahoma enacted a few years ago — and there have been few problems in that state with open carry. “If it becomes an issue later on [in Texas], we will deal with it,” he said in response to critics.

Regarding concerns that many Texans will be fearful of people openly displaying guns in public places like parks, Estes suggested they should “get help somewhere.”

Senate Democrats tried unsuccessfully to amend the bill to soften its impact. Among those attempts were proposals to require annual background checks for license holders, more handgun training for licensees, retention clips on all holsters and an open carry ban in state and local parks. Most amendments were tabled on partisan 20-11 votes.

One amendment that was adopted, by Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, exempted college campuses from the open carry measure. Huffman explained that her constituents strongly opposed allowing the open display of guns at colleges and universities across the state.

Democrats said they have the support of the law enforcement community in Texas, which mostly testified in opposition to the bill at an earlier public hearing.

“Have you thought about the dangers you will expose to the men and women who make up law enforcement in our state?” asked Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, speaking against the proposal.

Whitmire said the state’s current concealed handgun law has served Texans well since it is never apparent who is carrying a weapon. “The idea was to keep them concealed so nobody would know if you were packing or not,” he explained.

But under the bill, guns could now show up in a variety of places where they could be viewed as a threat, he said.

Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, suggested that someone shooting a person displaying a handgun could raise an argument of self-defense by saying he was threatened by the exposed weapon.

West also pressed Estes to identify any law enforcement agencies or leaders who support his open carry proposal. “If none testified in favor, would you still move forward on this bill?” he asked, suggesting there was a good reason marshals and sheriffs in the Old West required cowboys to hang up their guns when coming into town.

And Sen. Sylvia Garcia, D-Houston, said seniors in her district are worried about all the “crazy gun stuff” in the Legislature this year. “It is putting fear in the atmosphere,” she said. “I have not heard from one person in support of this bill.”

Among those supporting the measure was Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, who said it is “critical that Texans enjoy the full benefits of the Second Amendment.”

“The right to carry a firearm and defend life and liberty is a natural right, a God-given right, and does not need government permission to be fully exercised,” he said.

The Republican tide on the open carry measure was aided by a change in Senate rules this session that reduced the number of votes needed to bring a bill up for debate. Instead of the previous two-thirds of the membership (21 votes) that was needed in the past, the required amount is now three-fifths, or 19 votes. Republican hold 20 seats in the 31-member chamber.

Senators are expected to take up another gun rights bill as early as Tuesday that would allow handgun license holders to carry their weapons into college buildings — as long as they are concealed. That measure also is expected to pass the GOP-controlled Senate.

Follow Terrence Stutz on Twitter at @t_stutz.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/headlines/20150316-senate-republicans-pass-open-carry-bill-for-handguns-in-texas1.ece

boutons_deux
03-17-2015, 01:10 PM
"a God-given right"

God doesn't give rights, and God doesn't give a shit about you gun fellatin rednecks.

Winehole23
03-18-2015, 03:42 AM
fuck human rights and natural rights, boutons only believes in government-bestowed rights.

boutons_deux
03-18-2015, 04:15 AM
fuck human rights and natural rights, boutons only believes in government-bestowed rights.

all rights are human fabrications, even myths, unless defended and enforced, and rights violations punished.

yes, the government is the primary enforcer of whatever rights it bestows, not God. the AZ GOVT Repug assholes are creating, enforcing gun rights, not God.

Winehole23
04-14-2015, 09:14 AM
will likely pass:

Texas will be well on its way to allowing gun owners with concealed weapons permits to start carrying their handguns openly in public places if the state House approves key gun legislation Tuesday.

Lawmakers are set to debate House Bill 910 from state Rep. Larry Phillips (http://www.texastribune.org/directory/larry-phillips/), R-Sherman, which would allow license holders to carry their handguns in a hip or shoulder holster. More than half of the House’s 150 members have signed on as co-sponsors of the bill
The Senate passed its own version (http://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/16/texas-senate-considers-key-gun-bill/) of the legislation in March, and Gov. Greg Abbott (http://www.texastribune.org/directory/greg-abbott/) has said he will sign any open carry bill that reaches his desk.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/04/14/open-carry-bill-poised-clear-texas-house/

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2015, 03:47 PM
LMAO can't wait to wear my two gun cowboy rig to the mall. Have a matched set of three screw Ruger Blackhawks in .357. Looks badass with the tiedowns. Up until now I have been all dressed up with no place to go ...:lol

boutons_deux
04-14-2015, 03:54 PM
sick sick sick

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2015, 03:57 PM
you are just jealous Boo.

spursncowboys
04-14-2015, 04:29 PM
In CO, they had open carry, and it wasn't a big deal. I never noticed except at carnivals and was usually women.

TheSanityAnnex
04-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I was around OC a lot when I was attending Arizona State and thought it was ridiculous. I have to agree with boutons and the little dick OC theory.

pgardn
04-14-2015, 09:19 PM
I can't wait for the open carry at the Muslim American festivals when all the AK's come out and patrons have their faces covered. Then the NRA might look into allowing open carry of grenade belts.

Good times...

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2015, 10:24 PM
I was around OC a lot when I was attending Arizona State and thought it was ridiculous. I have to agree with boutons and the little dick OC theory.

I was just tweaking Boo and Fuzzyboo about carrying in public (although the cowboy rig and matching three screws are real) . Those nutjobs advocating for open carry are the last ones I want to be around with guns.

Winehole23
04-15-2015, 02:36 AM

CavsSuperFan
04-15-2015, 11:20 AM
LMAO can't wait to wear my two gun cowboy rig to the mall. Have a matched set of three screw Ruger Blackhawks in .357. Looks badass with the tiedowns. Up until now I have been all dressed up with no place to go ...:lol

Problem with the three screw is that they don’t have the safety transfer bar and warning label etched into the barrel…Features so coveted by collectors…:smokin

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnqzQvHxJHiAVBurpIhpB-elJHHiflN_gLNGIURJvaL2YpzK9Z

CosmicCowboy
04-15-2015, 11:24 AM
Yeah, some idiot shoots himself trying to be Quick Draw McGraw with six in the chamber and Ruger has to completely redesign the perfect pistol.

Winehole23
12-25-2015, 04:01 AM
design failure. they couldn't idiot proof it.

Winehole23
12-25-2015, 04:02 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/H-E-B-bans-open-carry-in-at-least-some-stores-6719924.php

Winehole23
12-25-2015, 04:50 AM
an openly armed, post-democratic society? are people getting ready for war?

what's with all the arming up in public?

boutons_deux
12-25-2015, 10:13 AM
what's with all the arming up in public?

Ms of Americans have demonstrated themselves to be paranoid chickenshits, stampeded by the NRA/gun-industry into spending $Bs.

2nd Amendment? :lol