PDA

View Full Version : If I want to be able to support 4 monitors at once...

Will Hunting
03-14-2015, 06:59 PM
What's the most cost effective way?

I don't give a shit about graphics since this is just for work and not computer games, I just need to be able to run 4 separate monitors (so not one large-ass display spread out over 4 monitors). The monitors I will be running are all Dell P2210T 22' monitors. I'd prefer if this is done via all HDMI connections but I'm flexible if there's a huge pricing difference.

The Reckoning
03-14-2015, 07:04 PM
that's a lot of fapping

Will Hunting
03-14-2015, 07:09 PM
that's a lot of fapping

Sup Pat's lil bro.

I have no idea what kind of weird shit you mookie crew homos do but this is for work.

DJR210
03-14-2015, 07:29 PM

I don't give a shit about graphics since this is just for work and not computer games, I just need to be able to run 4 separate monitors (so not one large-ass display spread out over 4 monitors). The monitors I will be running are all Dell P2210T 22' monitors. I'd prefer if this is done via all HDMI connections but I'm flexible if there's a huge pricing difference.

You can easily purchase a newer graphics card, and run 4 monitors on it. If i recall correctly, the Nvidia 600 series and up offer 4 monitors on a single GPU. A single card will push general PC use just fine, you would probably be great with a 660. Now a far as 4 HDMI, that's not really an option as GPU's usually come with 1 HDMI, a DVI, a DVI-D, and Display Port connections.

ElNono
03-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Something like this will probably work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125677&cm_re=4_port_hdmi_video_card-_-14-125-677-_-Product

Fairly cheap, although if you need all HDMI connections, you probably have to add a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI cable too, which should add another $20 on top.

DJR210
03-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Something like this will probably work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125677&cm_re=4_port_hdmi_video_card-_-14-125-677-_-Product

Fairly cheap, although if you need all HDMI connections, you probably have to add a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI cable too, which should add another $20 on top.

That's a good price too, plus it has two HDMI instead of DVI.. The 660 is a little more at 149.00.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-121-660

Wild Cobra
03-14-2015, 10:08 PM

Only 1680 x 1050 resolution?

You're wasting your time in my opinion.

ElNono
03-14-2015, 11:43 PM
I just need to be able to run 4 separate monitors (so not one large-ass display spread out over 4 monitors).

Missed this in the OP, what do you mean by "separate monitors"? Normally the desktop does get spread out into all monitors, but you can snap individual windows into each one.

Will Hunting
03-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Only 1680 x 1050 resolution?

You're wasting your time in my opinion.

Think of how easy it would be to triangulate the position of women you meet if you had four monitors!!

Will Hunting
03-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Missed this in the OP, what do you mean by "separate monitors"? Normally the desktop does get spread out into all monitors, but you can snap individual windows into each one.

I mean that If I have excel up and hit the "maximize" button, it's only going to maximize over one screen and not spread out over multiple screens.

I checked tho and I'm pretty sure the video card you linked would do what I want. How easy/hard would that be to install?

Cry Havoc
03-15-2015, 12:47 PM
I mean that If I have excel up and hit the "maximize" button, it's only going to maximize over one screen and not spread out over multiple screens.

I checked tho and I'm pretty sure the video card you linked would do what I want. How easy/hard would that be to install?

Most programs won't even have the option to max out on all 4 screens at the same time. Only very specific stuff like games usually will do that.

ElNono
03-15-2015, 01:43 PM

First, check that your computer's power supply has enough watts (that card requires a 400W power supply or better) and the connectors the videocard needs. Also that you have an available PCIe connector with the slot next to it unused, as that is a double-width card.

Then, depends on the OS... if it's Win 7 or newer, it should be pretty straightforward:
- Connect the card
- Connect the monitors
- Install latest drivers from NVidia
- Configure the displays in the Screen Resolutions control panel: Basically select "Extend these displays" in the Multiple Displays option, re-arrange the monitors to match your physical order (You can use the Identify button to display a big number on each monitor and be able to tell which one is which). You will also need to select a "Main monitor", which is the only monitor that will have the start menu/taskbar at the bottom. To do that, select the monitor and check "Make this my main display".

That about covers it.

baseline bum
03-15-2015, 01:51 PM
First, check that your computer's power supply has enough watts (that card requires a 400W power supply or better) and the connectors the videocard needs. Also that you have an available PCIe connector with the slot next to it unused, as that is a double-width card.

Then, depends on the OS... if it's Win 7 or newer, it should be pretty straightforward:
- Connect the card
- Connect the monitors
- Install latest drivers from NVidia
- Configure the displays in the Screen Resolutions control panel: Basically select "Extend these displays" in the Multiple Displays option, re-arrange the monitors to match your physical order (You can use the Identify button to display a big number on each monitor and be able to tell which one is which). You will also need to select a "Main monitor", which is the only monitor that will have the start menu/taskbar at the bottom. To do that, select the monitor and check "Make this my main display".

That about covers it.

I think that's a misprint, as the GTX 750 usually recommends 300W, and even that is overkill considering they're only powered via the PCIE slot, so they can use no more than maybe 70W or so. That's also really expensive for a GTX 750 if the op doesn't need it to be a low profile card, as you can usually find standard GTX 750 Ti cards for that price.

ElNono
03-15-2015, 01:53 PM
I think that's a misprint, as the GTX 750 usually recommends 300W, and even that is overkill considering they're only powered via the PCIE slot, so they can use no more than maybe 70W or so.

Just going by the specs on NewEgg... he should definitely do his research on that. I guess worst case he can always return the videocard.

ElNono
03-15-2015, 01:59 PM
FWIW, here's the manual for the card:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5144#manual

It's pretty generic, but it does seem to indicate it doesn't need any extra power connectors from the power supply like other cards.

baseline bum
03-15-2015, 02:29 PM
FWIW, here's the manual for the card:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5144#manual

It's pretty generic, but it does seem to indicate it doesn't need any extra power connectors from the power supply like other cards.

The GTX 750/750 Ti were the first Maxwell GPUs released. They have ridiculously low power consumption for how powerful they are. Even the 300W requirement is serious overkill, and just Nvidia covering their asses for people who buy prebuilts with generic power supplies claiming they can do 250W but really only capable of 150W or so. It would be difficult to get an office PC with a GTX 750, an i3, and a hard drive to draw even 250W from the wall even if you ran Furmark and Prime95 at the same time while copying a large file.

Wild Cobra
03-15-2015, 02:33 PM
I'm curious.

What are you going to do with 4 monitors? Right now, my setup in my den is two comuters side by side. This one I have used for years now and loaded with my software is master to my 1920 x 1200 monitor. The newer Win7 system I have is plugged into this same 24" WUXGA monitor and a 1080 P television. This newer computer I think will support 3 monitors, but I can't think of what I would do using three. My other WUXGA is hooked up to a 17" laptop in the other room, dual monitor where the laptop has a native resolution of 1440 x 900.

I don't see any practical applications needing to use up that much more desk space when you can only do so much at a time, so changing windows works.

Seems to me that your limitation is resolution rather than number of screens. My 24" monitors will display legible 11 x 17 documents in full 100% size, and still have program bars without scrolling. Or... two 8-1/2 x 11 side by side.

To me, this is far more important, and the 1050 pixel height... Sorry, I think you should place your money on better monitors first.

I have so many times, almost bought WQXGA (2560 x 1600) monitors. I simply have other costly priorities that come first.

baseline bum
03-15-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm curious.

What are you going to do with 4 monitors? Right now, my setup in my den is two comuters side by side. This one I have used for years now and loaded with my software is master to my 1920 x 1200 monitor. The newer Win7 system I have is plugged into this same 24" WUXGA monitor and a 1080 P television. This newer computer I think will support 3 monitors, but I can't think of what I would do using three. My other WUXGA is hooked up to a 17" laptop in the other room, dual monitor where the laptop has a native resolution of 1440 x 900.

I don't see any practical applications needing to use up that much more desk space when you can only do so much at a time, so changing windows works.

Seems to me that your limitation is resolution rather than number of screens. My 24" monitors will display legible 11 x 17 documents in full 100% size, and still have program bars without scrolling. Or... two 8-1/2 x 11 side by side.

To me, this is far more important, and the 1050 pixel height... Sorry, I think you should place your money on better monitors first.

I have so many times, almost bought WQXGA (2560 x 1600) monitors. I simply have other costly priorities that come first.

He's a mall cop and he needs to watch four dressing rooms at once tbh

Wild Cobra
03-15-2015, 02:57 PM

LOL...

Makes sense... that such a thing would come to your mind...

DJR210
03-15-2015, 03:56 PM

:lol

baseline bum
03-15-2015, 04:49 PM
LOL...

Makes sense... that such a thing would come to your mind...

What do you have against mall cops?

ElNono
03-15-2015, 05:39 PM
I suspect he already has those monitors, tbh.... they're a bit old and kinda expensive for TN panels if they're really selling for $300...

ElNono
03-15-2015, 05:41 PM
I'm curious.

Desktop - Apps (ie: Excel as he mentioned) - Browser with Spurstalk - Browser with SlingTV

Just add beer and popcorn, you're good to go, tbh... oh wait, he said work, nevermind

Cry Havoc
03-15-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm curious.

Are you serious? Have you ever used excel? Or any kind of system monitor?

Will Hunting
03-15-2015, 09:51 PM
I'm curious.

1) Excel Spreadsheet I'm working on
2) The document with the figures/information I'm putting into a spreadsheet
3) Internet browser where I can google how to do something with vlookup, pivot tables, etc.
4) Outlook so I can glace at emails as they come in

Is it really that hard to imagine?

Will Hunting
03-15-2015, 09:53 PM

iirc wild cobra is like a washing machine mechanic so no he probably hasn't ever used excel

herp derp us workin class folks dont need no four screens only a libruhl elitist would need so many screens!!!

ElNono
03-15-2015, 09:56 PM

Visicalc doesn't support multi-monitor setups, tbh

Will Hunting
03-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Thank you all (especially El Nono) for the actual advice provided.

And yes, I already have the four 22" monitors. I have no idea what the resolution is since that doesn't really matter.

Venti Quattro
03-15-2015, 11:17 PM
I have four 30" monitors at work and they're stacked two on top and two at the bottom

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4095/4905739569_87a96971c1.jpg

DJR210
03-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Three 34" LG Ultra wide monitors and two 980's just ordered from Newegg

Wild Cobra
03-16-2015, 12:09 AM
I suspect he already has those monitors, tbh.... they're a bit old and kinda expensive for TN panels if they're really selling for $300...

I do suspect that as well. Besides, I haven't spent the money for better monitors yet either.

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 08:43 AM

Thought you were buying a 1440p GSync monitor my nigga?

DJR210
03-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Thought you were buying a 1440p GSync monitor my nigga?

I want it, but don't want to pay the 200.00 premium for the G-Sync module..when AMD finally catches up w/ their Freesync ripoff, it'll go down in price.

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 02:59 PM
I want it, but don't want to pay the 200.00 premium for the G-Sync module..when AMD finally catches up w/ their Freesync ripoff, it'll go down in price.

You seriously doing three monitors though? That shit looks amazing for racing games, but I don't think I'd want to do it for others.

DJR210
03-16-2015, 03:17 PM
You seriously doing three monitors though? That shit looks amazing for racing games, but I don't think I'd want to do it for others.

Nah, I was just fucking around.. I agree for racing games, the tri monitor would be the shit, but honestly one 21:9 monitor would probably be just fine, plus no bezels, thin or not to distract me.

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Nah, I was just fucking around.. I agree for racing games, the tri monitor would be the shit, but honestly one 21:9 monitor would probably be just fine, plus no bezels, thin or not to distract me.

I'd personally rather have the GSync module than the ultra widescreen. I saw a review where a guy who could pick out 120 Hz vs 60 Hz every single time said GSync made gaming with drops to 40 FPS feel like a smooth 60 FPS.

DJR210
03-16-2015, 04:51 PM
I'd personally rather have the GSync module than the ultra widescreen. I saw a review where a guy who could pick out 120 Hz vs 60 Hz every single time said GSync made gaming with drops to 40 FPS feel like a smooth 60 FPS.

Yeah, I would too. G-Sync extends the lifespan of the GPU if you're a FPS snob like I am.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2015, 12:32 PM

Woooooooooow. That is an insane amount of horizontal viewing area.

Get photos of dat when you get them hooked up.

baseline bum
03-17-2015, 12:59 PM

I should get det for my i7-4960x + SLI Titan Z system.

DJR210
03-17-2015, 02:13 PM

I was just fucking around.. Linus has a video of a surround projector setup..3 projectors pushing 80 something inches each..now that's how you enjoy a racing game.

baseline bum
03-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I would too. G-Sync extends the lifespan of the GPU if you're a FPS snob like I am.

Yeah, damn that 27 inch Asus 1440p GSync monitor looks awesome, but I can't justify spending $800 on a fucking monitor. I'll wait to see what the industry's response is to FreeSync and see if this bitch goes down in price or see if Nvidia gets shamed into supporting FreeSync.

DJR210
03-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah, damn that 27 inch Asus 1440p GSync monitor looks awesome, but I can't justify spending $800 on a fucking monitor. I'll wait to see what the industry's response is to FreeSync and see if this bitch goes down in price or see if Nvidia gets shamed into supporting FreeSync.

Yeah, once CopySync comes out, expect G-Sync monitors to drop 100.00 or so.. This one may take the monitor crown from the ROG Swift by then too..

Acer's XB270HU is 1440p, 144hz, G-Sync..but it's the first G-Sync monitor with an IPS panel.. they were able to get the response time to 4 ms, so it's still gonna be nice and smooth for fast paced games..

http://techreport.com/news/27583/acer-new-g-sync-monitor-laced-with-ips-goodness

Dirk Oneanddoneski
03-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Can new 4k hdtvs do 4k gaming @ 120fps? When they first came out you could do 4k but it was locked @ 30fps.

DJR210
03-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Can new 4k hdtvs do 4k gaming @ 120fps? When they first came out you could do 4k but it was locked @ 30fps.

Nah, they support 60hz at the most, but that looks great IMO..The real hurdle with 120hz 4K gaming at this point is having the graphical horsepower to push 8 million pixels at that high a framerate.

Iirc, you need an HDTV with HDMI 2.0 to get 60hz, or a 4K monitor with Display Port 1.2.

baseline bum
03-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Seems like we're a long way from 4k ultra @ 120 fps since SLI/CF never scales well across more than two cards.

ElNono
03-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Actually, most 4k TVs on the market will only do 30fps right now...

DJR210
03-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Actually, most 4k TVs on the market will only do 30fps right now...

The lower end budget ones are still 30hz, but even Wal-Mart has a couple moderately priced models with 60hz now

ElNono
03-18-2015, 12:41 AM
The lower end budget ones are still 30hz, but even Wal-Mart has a couple moderately priced models with 60hz now

I saw some at Costco, but they were of the higher priced variety... I'll take your word for it tho

DMC
03-18-2015, 07:14 PM
I have 3 Asus 144hz 24" monitor setup on my desktop, and a 4th if you consider the 60" LED on the wall.

During a teleconference you come across like a know-it-all because you have all the answers right at your fingertips, open and ready for your meeting. You can watch the presentation on one screen, be remote connected to a site on the other monitoring readbacks or making adjustments, sending emails to those in the meeting with info that they later pretend they though of themselves and most importantly you can game at the same time. Nothing like gaming during a teleconference.