PDA

View Full Version : NBA Live VS. ESPN 2k6

SteelerSpurs
09-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi to all spurs fans. I rarely post but always read the site and after all the excitement of our two newest spurs signing. I feel a great void in spurs related info until the start of the season. So i ask this question to help pass the time. Which is better? I have played the 2k series the last two years but not NBA live. Does anyone have any info or insight as to which is the better game and more importantly, which one actually rates the spurs pretty fairly. I heard there was some demo's available but not sure. Any info would be appreciated.

romsey31
09-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Sure I'd love to help.

http://www.nba.com/videogames/fall_lineup_06.html

Key features for 2k6

Ship Date: Fall 2005
Platforms: PlayStation2, Xbox, Xbox360
Online Capability: Yes
Cover Athlete: Shaquille O'Neal

NBA 2K6 hits the hardwood with all the ingredients necessary to continue its reign as the #1 rated pro basketball game, according to GameRankings.com average scores of 2004-2005 pro basketball video games. Elevate your game by utilizing the innovative V.I.P. System to challenge profiles of friends and other NBA 2K6 ballers across the country that match their gameplay tendencies down to every minute detail.

Then head over to The Crib to customize your pad, buy music and unlock mini-games with crib credits earned playing the game. With the industry leading online experience and unrivaled franchise control, NBA 2K6 offers the most complete and entertaining roundball experience available.

Rap luminaries such as Method Man, Redman, Flava Flav, Common, Aesop Rock and ?uestlove from The Roots will be playable characters in NBA 2K6's new The Entertainer's Basketball Classic (EBC) at Rucker Park mode, a streetball tournament feature.

Additionally, 2K6’s soundtrack will boast 14 original tracks created exclusively for the game, with tracks from Aesop Rock, The Roots, Common, RJD2, Jean Grae, Aceyalone, Lyrics Born, Zion I, Hieroglyphics and more. Not only will they appear in the tile, but they'll be released on a compilation CD by Decon Records entitled "The Tracks."

Key Features
Shot Stick: Control the direction of your shot with the right analog stick. Pull off runners, fade-aways, finger rolls and dunks with a flick of the stick.
Dual Player Control: Set teammates into motion for alley-oops, give and gos, or to hit an open man for a 3 point play with the touch of the d-pad.
Strip n Rip System: Direction specific stealing controls let players anticipate passes by jumping into passing lanes to deflect or intercept a pass, as well as, strip the ball from a player driving to the hoop or a player with weak hands coming down with the rebound.
Post Perfection: Dominate the opposition with authentic NBA motion captured post moves like drop steps, head fakes, skyhooks, and the infamous fade away shot, while shutting down your opponent with an unparalleled defensive post system that relies on precision timing.
V.I.P. System:: After your game, save your friends’ profiles to compete when they’re not available! Learn their tendencies, moves, & logic for more heated battles. Get the upper hand in an online tournaments by downloading other players’ VIP profiles. The Crib: New to NBA 2K6 this year, you can now earn crib credits with every game you play to deck out your crib, buy music, or play mini-games.
The Association: The deepest franchise in the business just got deeper. Take total control of your NBA franchise by hiring your own coaching staff, scouting top draft picks year-round, developing individual player’ skills with multiple in game-drills, and optimizing your team chemistry with team workouts. With continuous stat tracking including league injuries, trades, winning streaks, league leaders, playoff races, and post season awards - you will never be uninformed.

Key features for NBA LIVE 2006

NBA Live 06 from EA Sports

NBA Live 06 from EA Sports
Hodge defeats May to become NBA Live Champion
Stakes are high in rookie video game tournament
Footage of No. 1 Draft selection Andrew Bogut
Fall NBA Video Game Preview | Player Nation home

Publisher: Electronic Arts Inc.
Developer: EA Canada
Ship Date: October 2005
Category: Simulation
Platforms: PlayStation2, PSP, Xbox, Xbox360
Cover Athlete: Dwyane Wade

Be an NBA superstar and own the court in NBA Live 06, which captures the emotion and intensity of the complete basketball experience like no other pro hoops simulation on the market.

The evolution of the EA Sports Freestyle Control continues with all-new EA Sports Freestyle Superstars. Users now dictate the actions of the top NBA stars with full user control over dazzling passes, rebounds, dunks and steals within 5-on-5 gameplay.

With the superstars of the NBA playing like their real-life counterparts, Playmakers deliver fast break Freestyle passes on the fly, Stoppers control the paint, and Power players dominate the opposition with powerful user-controlled dunks. An enhanced transition game yields an up-tempo, fast-break, and physical brand of basketball that features players running the lanes and awaiting the open pass.

With the NBA Live 06 advancements in gameplay and enhanced player graphics, the NBA’s superstars look and play more like their real-life counterparts than ever before. A rich collection of game modes adds to the deepest offering of NBA Live ever – including Dynasty Mode, EA Sports Online, and NBA All-Star Weekend.

Key Features
EA Sports Freestyle Superstars: NBA Live 06 puts users in control of the NBA’s top players with all-new EA Sports Freestyle Superstars. Star players perform like their real-life NBA counterparts based on distinct character types, including Power, Playmaker, Stopper and more. Playmakers dish out no-look and behind-the-back passes on command. Stoppers block shots, steal and rebound like only the best defenders in the NBA. Power players have a dizzying array of thunder dunks found only in the top NBA All-Stars.

Authentic 5-on-5 Gameplay: The NBA Live 06 all-new animation system helps to visually present the up-tempo, fast-break brand of basketball that makes the NBA thrive. NBA Live 06 also features an improved transition game and a more physical brand of play with collisions and dunked-on scenarios.

New Player Visuals: A new graphics engine increases the resolution on player models and body types to unprecedented levels. Players not only play and act like their real life counterparts, but they look the part with striking detail and realism.

The Voices of the NBA: Joining Marv Albert is new color commentator and former NBA star Steve Kerr. The on-air TV partners call the 5-on-5 action, while Ernie Johnson and Kenny Smith bring their own unique flavor to the Slam Dunk Contest and 3 Point Shootout in the popular NBA All-Star Weekend mode.

NBA All-Star Weekend: Back and better than ever, NBA All-Star Weekend allows users to create new jaw-dropping dunks as they compete in the Slam Dunk Contest. Also featuring the 3 Point Shootout, the Rookie Challenge, and the NBA All-Star Game, All-Star Weekend is available as a stand-alone game mode as well as within Dynasty Mode.

EA Sports Online: Now available for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and on Xbox Live, EA Sports Online allows users to play online* against opponents from anywhere in North America and gives gamers the opportunity to meet, greet, chat, set up tournaments, download roster updates, and play head to head.

*Internet connection required for online play. PlayStation®2 Online play requires Internet Connection, Network Adaptor (for PlayStation 2) and Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2) (each sold separately).

ALVAREZ6
09-04-2005, 05:54 PM
I am still deciding on which one to buy. I have always bought the NBA Live series, but this might be the first year I switch over to 2k6. Mainly because they gave Manu long hair, and it's only $20 bucks.

ducks
09-04-2005, 05:56 PM
yeah after all if manu 's hair should make you decide what one is better
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

I would think it should be with price, graphics and other things not someone's hair

usckk
09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I would definenlty take NBA 2k6. Even without the lower price, I think NBA 2k6 is better, especially with all those new functions. No question about it.

romsey31
09-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I would definenlty take NBA 2k6. Even without the lower price, I think NBA 2k6 is better, especially with all those new functions. No question about it.

Yup It'll be my first time buying 2K. I love the fact you will be able to purchase a house etc. They went all out. 20 bucks? Thats a no brainer.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-04-2005, 06:13 PM
nba live is a lot of fun but WAY too much unrealistic bullshit happens in the game. you cant block t-mac or dwayne wade without foulign them as they constantly dunk from the free throw line and the fast break in nba live is ridiculous. if u have 2 decent shot blockers and 3 shooters u can go 82-0 easily which is ridiculous. nba 2k's are at least realistic and feel like proper basketball not just nba jam with rules

usckk
09-04-2005, 06:37 PM
nba live is a lot of fun but WAY too much unrealistic bullshit happens in the game. you cant block t-mac or dwayne wade without foulign them as they constantly dunk from the free throw line and the fast break in nba live is ridiculous. if u have 2 decent shot blockers and 3 shooters u can go 82-0 easily which is ridiculous. nba 2k's are at least realistic and feel like proper basketball not just nba jam with rules

Exactly! If your someone that like something as close to being real, You want to get NBA 2k6.

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 06:55 PM
will 2k6 be released on pc?

usckk
09-04-2005, 07:03 PM
No. Sadly.

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 07:31 PM
rats,i'll just have to get a ps2

ALVAREZ6
09-04-2005, 07:42 PM
yeah after all if manu 's hair should make you decide what one is better
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

I would think it should be with price, graphics and other things not someone's hair
It was a joke.

But during this year when I play with the Spurs, it's annoying seeing Manu with a buzz cut.

It would really kick ass if video games could get amazing graphics that have hair movement when the players move, and if they have long hair, it reacts or blows back realistically. It kind of looks stupid when in the game a player has long hair, but it doesn't move a single inch the whole time like if it had a 20 pounds of gel holding it down.

romsey31
09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
rats,i'll just have to get a ps2

Wait and get an xbox 360

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 08:04 PM
how much will one of them be

romsey31
09-04-2005, 08:05 PM
how much will one of them be

Not sure but you can check it out on www.xbox360.com

BruceBowenFan
09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
2k6 all the way easier to figure out and alot cheaper

Mixability
09-04-2005, 10:26 PM
i guess i'm the only person that likes Live? :depressed

gospursgojas
09-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Damn... The no Spurs on either cover :wtf .........

Mixability
09-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Damn... The no Spurs on either cover :wtf .........

we wouldnt want the curse...

Chris
09-04-2005, 11:03 PM
NBA Live 2006 for sure. 2k6 is just catching up to Live 2005 with their new "crossovers" and "pro-hops". It's actually pretty ridiculous. The mini games like the all-star challenge with 3-point shootout and Slam Dunk challenge are another reason to go Live. 2k6 realized their game has already been owned so they dropped the price to $20. I think the price symbolizes the quality of the game.

DieMrBond
09-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Ive been a fan of NBA live since NBA Live 95...and ive never had any problems with it. Sure it was easy to go 82-0, but i kind of liked that ;) plus, if you crank up the difficulty (without getting all the best players on your team) it can be fairly challenging to go 82-0. Ive admittedly never played 2k6, but i give a solid thumbs up to NBA Live.

Chris
09-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Your sig owns Bond

stress
09-04-2005, 11:43 PM
it has to be nba2k6 ive been playing the 2k seris since dreamcast and it was the best then and the best now.nba live has been trying to catch 2k for a while now .see ive played nba live every to since its been around.but 2k is just on another level basketball wise and look to.live is a arcade basketball style with highlights every play so many unreal!nba2k is the sim style play real ball !!!so get it! :fro

Chris
09-04-2005, 11:48 PM
nba live has been trying to catch 2k for a while now

Sorry bro but its the other way around.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry bro but its the other way around.

no way man, nba live is like playground basketball, its so ridicuously inconsistent, when u run into a player in the air no foul is called yet instead its out of bounds on you and the other teams ball. there is no such thing as a "bad defensive" team in that game, if you have just 1 or 2 decent shotblockers you can shut teams down too easily. in nba 2k u have to play as a "team". in nba live with brent barry if i really wanted to i could easily score 65 points with him, but in nba 2k, its much more realistic that i could maybe get 30 with him if i use him alone the whole game. there are some aspects of nba live that are better yes, the dribbling is better, the "flow" could arguably be better as its more arcade-ish, but the passing is HORRIFIC in that game, with fast breaks against the CPU being non existent because for some stupid reason when you have ginobili or TP they LOVE to slow down right before they go to the basket so mehmut okur can catch up to them and block them when just 2 seconds ago he was 20 feet behind. and in nba live you gotta love the ability to block dunks from behind. kevin garnett can swat 19 shots in a row now matter how ridiculous the dunk you are doing without a foul called. but if latrell sprewell goes for a dunk outside the free throw line its a foul on duncan who got ran into. and individual defenders make no difference in nba live it seems. bowen doesnt really shut anyone down, he just causes fouls. i may sound like i loathe nba live but i dont. it is fun its just has so many horrific glitches and "oh please!" moments of flashy bullshit. can you imagine what nba live would be like if i actually tried it on arcade mode! :oops :oops

NZHayden
09-05-2005, 06:00 AM
i guess i'm the only person that likes Live? :depressed
i love nba live, i dont know why all these people are complaining about it, its just a game.

vanvannen
09-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I've played NBA Live since '95. I've always loved that game but I must say the last NBA Live that was any good was 2000. When the PS era began, it just got horribly arcadish. Of course I still play the game, but I can't stand all the blocking from behind, the non-existent fast breaks for my team and the rest of the bullshit. I wanted to get 2K6 this time, but they say it won't come out for PC, so I guess I stuck with Live. :depressed

spursupporter
09-05-2005, 09:49 AM
NBA Live all the way!!!

Manu20
09-05-2005, 11:04 AM
NBA Live all the way!!!

Agreed, NBA Live is the best!

mrose31
09-05-2005, 11:20 AM
I always play both of these games every year before I buy. Nba live the last 2 years have been pretty competitive and offesive wise you are able to do much more than 2k series. However, I always end up buying the 2k games because the seem to have more realitic play and way better graphics. You actually have to play both sides of court. I am not saying the 2k is better because their are people who always love live game better actually most of my friends do because it is easier you can do much more. And more individual players have signature moves. I would say if you like just picking up the game and playing a basketball game or playing between friends get live. If the game is for yourself and you like to play the whole season out go with 2k. So far trailers for Live actually look better but I always have liked 2k series better since 2k2.

gmanrulz
10-27-2005, 08:52 PM
the 2k6 online roster updates cant be used in the regular game, only online right?

ALVAREZ6
10-27-2005, 09:08 PM
NBA Live

Blister111
12-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone here played NBA 06. IMO it's a better game than live. NBA Life is great since I feel most sports games are lacking and a bit too simplified, it's always nice to have a story mode included with the rest of the game. Online play and all the mini games are welcome additions as well.

TDMVPDPOY
12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone here played NBA 06. IMO it's a better game than live. NBA Life is great since I feel most sports games are lacking and a bit too simplified, it's always nice to have a story mode included with the rest of the game. Online play and all the mini games are welcome additions as well.

NBA LIFE?? wtf

i got live06, just that i rarely play it cose its fuckn shit, im playin live04 with updated rosters and tryin to create this years rookies with the face patches...live04 was the best title for bball game.

baseline bum
12-15-2005, 08:42 PM
If you get Live you can use my custom Spurs and Pistons gear...

http://www.nbaliveforums.com/ftopic31569.php

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/266/pre03ek.jpg
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5296/pre25vj.jpg
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/4574/sanac79a9uf.jpg
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/7846/sanac99a0mr.jpg
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/2644/sanac02a3yq.jpg
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/3470/sanac03s4fz.jpg

... and soon my Alamodome...

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5016/alamodome16sc.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5374/alamodome26al.jpg

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Man, Baseline....those are sweet.

ALVAREZ6
12-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, NBA The Life 06...never seen the commercial???

Too many NBA games now...with Street, there are 4 series.

NBA The Life is a stupid ass one where you kind of play as a rookie in the league and try to make it through the hardships or some other shit. It's stupid, you get like cars and shit, other crap, IDK.

baseline bum
12-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Man, Baseline....those are sweet.

I have about 70 retros either posted or within 2 or 3 days of being posted on that site, with at least one for most of the teams.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I have about 70 retros either posted or within 2 or 3 days of being posted on that site, with at least one for most of the teams.

I went out and got NBA Live 06 for the PC solely because of your designs, Baseline.

Can't wait to drop them in.

GrandeDavid
12-21-2005, 12:53 PM
I found 2K5 to be spectacular until I reached the Finals in the Association mode and due to some stupid, amateurish glitch could not actually play the series. Pissed me off, big time. I've found NBA Live to look too cartoonish on my set. I prefer 2K6 but will do a test simulation of an Association mode and make sure that the Finals are indeed accessible.

I also thought that NBA Live underrated the Spurs.

td4mvp21
12-21-2005, 01:56 PM
NBA 2K6 is amazing...its the most realistic game I've ever played. I really like it. Nba Live on the other hand is a piece of cartoon shit. I would not recomend it.

Mixability
12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
NBA 2K6 is amazing...its the most realistic game I've ever played. I really like it. Nba Live on the other hand is a piece of cartoon shit. I would not recomend it.

I switched over to 2K6 and it's beautiful on the 360, I used to be a Live guy as you can tell from my previous posts, but not anymore! :elephant

Chris
05-26-2006, 03:58 AM
I switched over to 2K6 and it's beautiful on the 360, I used to be a Live guy as you can tell from my previous posts, but not anymore! :elephant

SECONDED!