PDA

View Full Version : Saints?

redskinfan
09-04-2005, 07:11 PM
any word on the news conference?

Kori Ellis
09-04-2005, 07:29 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The New Orleans Saints said Sunday they are considering three options where to play their home games this season: LSU's Tiger Stadium, the Alamodome in San Antonio or at the stadiums of all their opponents.

Speaking at a news conference in San Antonio, where the team has moved its day-to-day operations after the Superdome and most of New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Jim Haslett made it clear that going to Baton Rouge, La., is their first choice. They said that being a permanent road team was the last option.

``We want to play in the Superdome, but obviously that's not possible,'' Loomis said. ``We would like to play our games in Baton Rouge. Obviously, the league has a lot of say. They'll be involved in the decision. We're trying to explore every possibility.''

The Saints open Sunday at Carolina. Their second game, which was supposed to be their home opener, already has been moved to Giants Stadium, home of their foe, the New York Giants, but the date has not been announced.

They play at Minnesota the next week, so the first game still in flux is Oct. 2 against Buffalo.

Haslett said NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue ``put us behind the eight ball'' with the decision to play at the Meadowlands in Week 2.

He called LSU the first option because, ``I would like our fans to have the opportunity to see us play.''

Club officials and players are living in a hotel across the interstate from the Alamodome and will be practicing at high school fields in the area.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 07:47 PM
So if the LSU can't be used its the Alamodome for sure?

SpursWoman
09-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I would love to have the opportunity to have them play here at the Alamodome...but obviously they should be as close to their fan base as possible.

And that wouldn't be fair having to play all of their *home* games away...although I'd be willing to bet they'd be well received wherever they go. :)

San Antonio would absolutely support the Saints as long as they'd be here......and maybe we could find a way to get some of their fans in shelters here to some games.... :nerd

scott
09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
So if the LSU can't be used its the Alamodome for sure?

Unless Paul Tags decides that 8 NFL franchises need an extra home game this year...

clubalien
09-04-2005, 08:16 PM
sine no refuggees are in SA it makes since to play here were fans are insted on ny

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 08:18 PM
although I'd be willing to bet they'd be well received wherever they go. :)

They better! :jack

SpursWoman
09-04-2005, 08:18 PM
sine no refuggees are in SA it makes since to play here were fans are insted on ny

oops...nevermind. I mis-read your post. :oops :lol

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I think by "no" he meant New Orleans.

Yeah, I was a little confussed the first time I read that.

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Nevermind too.

:lol

Dex
09-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Home games at the stadium of their opponents? :lol Talk about the worst home-court advantage ever. Sounds like a rip-off to me.

At least if they played here, people would be a little bit...unbiased? (Man, that word has been thrown around here a lot lately)

redskinfan
09-04-2005, 08:59 PM
How big is Baton Rouge? Hotel rooms, airport etc.?

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:00 PM
reskinfan, check out the article I posted.

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 09:07 PM
have i got this right, the alamo dome is the stadium really close to san antonio CBD? and is that the same place where the spurs had their championship celebration

clubalien
09-04-2005, 09:08 PM
sorry about that yes i meant New O.

redskinfan
09-04-2005, 09:09 PM
right on NZ, its a football(american) stadium that sits empty 350 days a year

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:11 PM

Hey dude, If they cannot afford to get out of NO before the strom, they damn sure cannot afford to pay to go to the games or pay for the revenue to house the Saints here...ya know? (This is just some bait for everyone to go off on...I am sure you all will, don't let me down, PLEASE!)

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 09:11 PM
really? did the spurs ever play their

clubalien
09-04-2005, 09:13 PM
news @9 says they have some news about the saints
no idea if ease is real or one of those fake KSAT ones

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:14 PM
The Spurs played there, it was the house that David Built...It was not a REAL arena for hoops. Most was curtained off during NBA games so it was not very loud.

redskinfan
09-04-2005, 09:14 PM
yeah for about 5 years they won their first title while playing in the dome. its a nice football site not a bad view in the place.

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah for about 5 years they won their first title while playing in the dome. its a nice football site not a bad view in the place.

I agree, I go to every Alamo Bowl and it sells and views well. Ohio State rocked this past year. My Huskers did it the year before. I do not think SA will support the Saints for an ENTIRE season

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey dude, If they cannot afford to get out of NO before the strom, they damn sure cannot afford to pay to go to the games or pay for the revenue to house the Saints here...ya know? (This is just some bait for everyone to go off on...I am sure you all will, don't let me down, PLEASE!)

Um... not everyone that didn't leave was poor. Some were just hard headed and thought it wouldn't be as bad, also, some didn't want to wait through all that traffic leaving the city.

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
look what i just found
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/san_antonio_alamodome1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/san_antonio_alamodome2.jpg

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Um... not everyone that didn't leave was poor. Some were just hard headed and thought it wouldn't be as bad, also, some didn't want to wait through all that traffic leaving the city.

Though we digress from the intent of the post, I will tell you this...If they could support the Saints financially, they were out of town. Maybe this issue is better addressed in the CLUB or POLITICS section, but I guarantee you that the Saints are the last item on the minds of those who ended up in SA.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:21 PM
look what i just found
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/san_antonio_alamodome1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/nzhayden/san_antonio_alamodome2.jpg

The Dome was built for an NFL team, but when the NFL expansion came around, SA wasn't given a team because of shitty leadership.

The Spurs took over the Alamodome in 1993 up until 2002. Then they moved to the SBC Center.

Also, the Dome is not empty year round. The place is used for the NCAA Final Four, Alamo Bowl, high school football, conventions, house and garden shows, monstor truck shows, concerts, etc.

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:22 PM
...as is work

TheWriter
but I guarantee you that the Saints are the last item on the minds of those who ended up in SA.

Who said they were?

If the Saints moved to SA, it would be San Antonians supporting the team, and a few New Orleanians who left before the storm (in your words, not poor) because they had family here.

NZHayden
The Dome was built for an NFL team, but when the NFL expansion came around, SA wasn't given a team because of shitty leadership.

The Spurs took over the Alamodome in 1993 up until 2002. Then they moved to the SBC Center.

Also, the Dome is not empty year round. The place is used for the NCAA Final Four, Alamo Bowl, high school football, conventions, house and garden shows, monstor truck shows, concerts, etc.
i bet a ying yang twins concert would go off in their

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:25 PM
i bet a ying yang twins concert would go off in their

lol

A Ying Yang Twin concert would probably happen else where, like the SBC Center or the Freeman Coliseum or the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, or Sunset Station.

Concerts that go on in the Alamodome are of the large variety. IE, A Rolling Stone concert or U2 or whoever can pull in 20,000-30,000 people.

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:25 PM

One of the problems with the NFL not buying into the MoDome (Maybe we should call it the Rick Perry Dome in honor of our MOFO Governor...), was that is could not also accommodate a MLB team. That was a big sticking point on the construction plans way way back. The BIG TIME wanted it to be as multipurpose as possible. Now, we MIGHT get an MLS team...argh!

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:28 PM
The bottom line is that I disagree with the SA fans supporting the Saints if they just MOVE here. If there is a process where the city feels involved, then maybe it would work (it has been mentioned in the past with the Saints and Vikings). But, an altogether "Oh, let's move the Saints to SA..." Won't cut it...unless the Saints schedule 4 games with the Cowboys and 4 with the Texans on their home schedules.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:30 PM
The bottom line is that I disagree with the SA fans supporting the Saints if they just MOVE here. If there is a process where the city feels involved, then maybe it would work (it has been mentioned in the past with the Saints and Vikings). But, an altogether "Oh, let's move the Saints to SA..." Won't cut it...unless the Saints schedule 4 games with the Cowboys and 4 with the Texans on their home schedules.

Um no. I think the almost 2 million San Antonians could easily support and want to support a team.

But hey, you're givin a option just like me. Lets try not to go around stating them as truth.

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
2 million? Where? 1 million is more like it and 65% OF THOSE CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO TO A SPURS GAME...

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Moreover, if a team moves from one city to another, they usually want buy in from guaranteed Season Tix revenues prior to the move. It would be unprecedented and a HUGE mistake if 1) the Saints moved here and 2) We took them in. Again, just my opinion. And do not use the argument of the Baltimore Colts moving to Indy. It is a whole different issue and, by the way, Indy did not accept them right away either.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:57 PM
2 million? Where? 1 million is more like it and 65% OF THOSE CANNOT EVEN AFFORD TO GO TO A SPURS GAME...

1 million?

The metro is nearly 1.9 million.

Kid, quit typing out your ass.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:59 PM
1,854,050 to be exact.

T Park
09-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Hussker, why are you so opposed to it??

If a pro Football team wants to move to SA?? DO IT.

You havent given any good reasons why it shouldnt happen.

I gaurantee, in the SA, Austin, Corpus cities, would gather at the Alamodome and support the team big time.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
http://www.cityreview.us/texas/san_antonio/

Funny how we want to make ourselves "BIGGER" when we include those other towns that are NOT San Antonio by definition...EXACT? So are you tallying births/deaths by the minute? Did you count the refugees that came in? What are you counting? New Braunfels? Marion? Hmmmm..Lies, Damn lies and Statistics. Seems no one can be correct in this rant. But, please quote me that if we do have the Saints, then they will be poorly supported unless it goes through a formal process.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Hussker, why are you so opposed to it??

If a pro Football team wants to move to SA?? DO IT.

You havent given any good reasons why it shouldnt happen.

I gaurantee, in the SA, Austin, Corpus cities, would gather at the Alamodome and support the team big time.

A) We do not have the infrastructure to support them nor do we have the preparation to do so
B) If they come in NOW, what does the city of SA get? ZERO revenue. If you think that we WILL, then tell me where it will come from. We do not own the team, it is based from NO. Just like the people who have been scurried to here and all around our State. They still have bills to pay...mortgage to pay...The Saints have bills too ya know and the City of SA cannot afford them. I am pretty sure the FEDS are not going to come to Benson's aid.

Just my thoughts for out 1.2 million citizens (not 2 million)

clubalien
09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
I am a cowboy fan so that is the only team i think that should move here

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Just to give you the official SA Population results from our Chamber Of Commerce webpage...But I am sure they must be wrong too...Seems like some are counting by the minute!

http://sachamber.org/relo/general_info.php

baseline bum
09-04-2005, 10:40 PM
The Alomodome is as good for football as it was bad for basketball.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
But again, I could make a case that Austin is ACTUALLY part of SA since it is on I35 and closer to SA than Dallas...hmmm....:)

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 10:42 PM
My numbers are from the Census. 2004 numbers. You know what the Census is don't you?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?threadid=73141&highlight=antonio+population+metro+angeles

These are MSA numbers, not CMSA. CSMA are for really really large cities liek New York, Los Anegeles, Chicago. However, MSA is pretty much what everyone goes by when difining city populations.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:44 PM
The Alomodome is as good for football as it was bad for basketball.

Never said the Alamodome was bad for football...but what do we get as a city (besides a huge burden) from a refugee team? That has not been discussed. If we are doing it to be a good neighbor, then I bet the FEDS will take that into account before jacking up our tax bills for everything to pay for that mess 600 miles to our east on I-10. Make sure you ask the politicians to spare San Antonio in those figures.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:47 PM
My numbers are from the Census. 2004 numbers. You know what the Census is don't you?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?threadid=73141&highlight=antonio+population+metro+angeles

These are MSA numbers, not CMSA. CSMA are for really really large cities liek New York, Los Anegeles, Chicago. However, MSA is pretty much what everyone goes by when difining city populations.

MSA is based on region, which in this case is Bexar/Comal and Guadalupe counties. That means we cout Seguin/NewBraunfels, etc... We can spread the numbers as far as you want. The bottom line is that SA cannot support an NFL team under THESE CONDITIONS. We can with a process, but not just bringing them in. Will not work and the city will be further burdened.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 10:49 PM
MSA is based on region, which in this case is Bexar/Comal and Guadalupe counties. That means we cout Seguin/NewBraunfels, etc... We can spread the numbers as far as you want. The bottom line is that SA cannot support an NFL team under THESE CONDITIONS. We can with a process, but not just bringing them in. Will not work and the city will be further burdened.

Exactly. I'm talking metro which is what makes any and every city.

If we were going by "city" we'd be the 8th largest city in the USA.

Metro wise we're high 20's but growing.

I think San Antonio would support an NFL team under ANY condition.

San Antonio is football country.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:51 PM
The revenue would be good under the RIGHT circumstances...don't get me wrong. I have been praying for an NFL team here for over two decades. Also thought we should have MLB too, but that was screwed by the design of the MoDome.

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Exactly. I'm talking metro which is what makes any and every city.

If we were going by "city" we'd be the 8th largest city in the USA.

Metro wise we're high 20's but growing.

I think San Antonio would support an NFL team under ANY condition.

San Antonio is football country.

Under the RIGHT conditions

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:54 PM
First mistake in any business is to make it UNCONDITIONAL which means under ANY CONDITION. Not a smart business move, especially when dealing with huge business franchises. Remember, as much as we may be sports fans, the business aspect could not care less. Have to agree with that one.

blaze89
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I highly doubt Austin would support a San Antonio team.

The problem with San Antonio getting an NFL team is that the city will have to give away practically the farm to lure a franchise here, a huge financial committment that currently San Antonio does not have. Plus, San Antonio has done little to attract the NFL's attention.

Forget fan support and tickets sold, cause if those two were the only factors in having an NFL team, then the Raiders would have never left Oakland, the Colts would still be in Baltimore and the Browns would have never left Cleveland.

What I would like to know is what has the city of San Antonio has done to get the NFLs attention?

Fan support for past preseason games? Fan support for previous S.A. football teams? Is there anything in our favor that we can present to the NFL based on fact and not theory?

I would leave the Cowboys out of this argument cause generally the Cowboys have a huge following in the U.S.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
I highly doubt Austin would support a San Antonio team.

The problem with San Antonio getting an NFL team is that the city will have to give away practically the farm to lure a franchise here, a huge financial committment that currently San Antonio does not have. Plus, San Antonio has done little to attract the NFL's attention.

Forget fan support and tickets sold, cause if those two were the only factors in having an NFL team, then the Raiders would have never left Oakland, the Colts would still be in Baltimore and the Browns would have never left Cleveland.

What I would like to know is what has the city of San Antonio has done to get the NFLs attention?

Fan support for past preseason games? Fan support for previous S.A. football teams? Is there anything in our favor that we can present to the NFL based on fact and not theory?

I would leave the Cowboys out of this argument cause generally the Cowboys have a huge following in the U.S.

Thanks...perhaps I was not verbose enough!

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 12:42 AM
And as I recall, the Spurs screwed us out of the Los Angeles Rams because San Antonio was Georgia Frontiere's first choice to move to, but Red wouldn't give up concessions and parking revenues, so they went to St. Louise instead.

TheWriter
09-05-2005, 12:48 AM
And as I recall, the Spurs screwed us out of the Los Angeles Rams because San Antonio was Georgia Frontiere's first choice to move to, but Red wouldn't give up concessions and parking revenues, so they went to St. Louise instead.

Seriously. WTF!

Also, a SA NFL team would draw from Corpus and the RGV.

blaze89
09-05-2005, 01:12 AM

Now the concession deal with McCombs probably screwed S.A. out of a possible NFL expansion (we were chosen over Jacksonville!) but talks about moving the Rams to San Antonio were not serious.

St. Louis is a higher TV market, a finalist in the NFL expansion, and fought harder than San Antonio to land a team.

I'd like to know where it states that San Antonio was first choice cause in the mid-90s four teams relocated and none chose San Antonio and it's ready-built stadium.

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Which would take us back to the owner situation. I read somewhere that Ms Frontiere loved SA and wanted to move here.

blaze89
09-05-2005, 02:01 AM
Which would take us back to the owner situation. I read somewhere that Ms Frontiere loved SA and wanted to move here.

Well, for all we know she may have wanted to live in the city or using us as a bargaining chip but I do remember an article on the Rams-San Antonio and nothing was serious. Had talks been serious, there definitely would have been a firestorm but St. Louis pretty much had it locked.

You also have to remember that any mention of San Antonio and the NFL is almost reported with some sort of glee. I remember KSAT going giddy when supposively Seahawks reps were taking a look at the Alamodome.

If people love the idea of San Antonio and the NFL, I haven't heard it.

Dingle Barry
09-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Why in the hell wouldn't Austin support an SA team? San Marcos and NB, too. NFL football would be an hour's drive away.

blaze89
09-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Why in the hell wouldn't Austin support an SA team? San Marcos and NB, too. NFL football would be an hour's drive away.

For Austin, it would be the Longhorns first before supporting San Antonio.

But I'm still trying to figure out, what has San Antonio done to get the NFLs attention?

cherylsteele
09-05-2005, 08:35 AM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The New Orleans Saints said Sunday they are considering three options where to play their home games this season: LSU's Tiger Stadium, the Alamodome in San Antonio or at the stadiums of all their opponents.

Speaking at a news conference in San Antonio, where the team has moved its day-to-day operations after the Superdome and most of New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Jim Haslett made it clear that going to Baton Rouge, La., is their first choice. They said that being a permanent road team was the last option.

``We want to play in the Superdome, but obviously that's not possible,'' Loomis said. ``We would like to play our games in Baton Rouge. Obviously, the league has a lot of say. They'll be involved in the decision. We're trying to explore every possibility.''

The Saints open Sunday at Carolina. Their second game, which was supposed to be their home opener, already has been moved to Giants Stadium, home of their foe, the New York Giants, but the date has not been announced.

They play at Minnesota the next week, so the first game still in flux is Oct. 2 against Buffalo.

Haslett said NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue ``put us behind the eight ball'' with the decision to play at the Meadowlands in Week 2.

He called LSU the first option because, ``I would like our fans to have the opportunity to see us play.''

Club officials and players are living in a hotel across the interstate from the Alamodome and will be practicing at high school fields in the area.

Isn't this what they have been saying so far. The way they were playing up on news promos I thought had decided on the Alamodome.

For some reason I have a feeling Jerry Jones is influencing the decision so his fan base will still exist. I think the NFL just hates San Antonio.

For Austin, it would be the Longhorns first before supporting San Antonio.
And Baton Rouge would be LSU Tigers first plus it is a much smaller market.
Why then does Houston back the Texas when they have Rice, Houston Cpugars, etc.

Sii
09-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Reports this morning on ESPN radio are Benson is just not thinking of playing some games this year in SA but SERIOUSLY moving the team to SA for GOOD

I found this...

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson is leaning strongly toward moving the Saints permanently to San Antonio following the devastation to the city and the Superdome by Hurricane Katrina, a state senator who has spoken with a top team official said Saturday. Sen. Mike Michot, R-Lafayette, said he spoke with Saints’ chief of administration Arnold Fielkow by phone Friday morning about Benson’s potential plans.

Team officials could not be reached Saturday. The team had previously announced it was looking for a new home for the current season, and San Antonio was one of the options.

Michot said he was told that Benson has not made a final decision, but the owner is serious about moving once and for all to San Antonio. “We may lose them permanently,” Michot said.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09.html#076625

clubalien
09-05-2005, 10:11 AM
LSU might be a small market NOW. but alot of people from NO will be moving to batin rouge , suddenly it could become the hugest city in LA

ChumpDumper
09-05-2005, 10:39 AM
alot of people from NO will be moving to batin rougeWell, alot are moving here too....

The Artest Factor
09-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I'd rather have no NFL team then a team thats gonna bring shame like the sAints. Their fans wear bags over their heads for a reason...

cherylsteele
09-05-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd rather have no NFL team then a team thats gonna bring shame like the sAints. Their fans wear bags over their heads for a reason...

That is a long time ago......you do relize that since Benson bought the team they have been competetive and have even been in the playoffs.

Maybe you need a bag over you head.

cherylsteele
09-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, alot are moving here too....

Yes....either way San Antonio is about 4x the size of Baton Rouge.
And if you include Austin.....there will be fans from Austin too....which makes even that much more attractive than Baton Rouge

ChumpDumper
09-05-2005, 11:07 AM
It kind of remains to be seen if Austin could really be included. It certainly helps that home games are only once a week. We'll have to see what kind of corporate money would be rolling in from Austin if the Saints play here this season.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
People drive in from Austin to go to Silver Stars games and some of you guys don't think they'd go to NFL football?

Please.

ChumpDumper
09-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I do think fans will go -- I'm thinking more of the corporations, which would be a lynchpin for keeping a team here long-term. If Benson can get suite purchases and sponsorships from the likes of Dell, Samsung, AMD, Freescale, et.al., the NFL could work here.

I think if the team later decides the dome isn't suitable, they'll be looking for a new home somewhere further up I-35N to better facilitate this.

clubalien
09-05-2005, 11:16 AM
WTF you mean there are people that actual go to silver star games LMAO

TheWriter
09-05-2005, 01:41 PM
If the Saints "want" or "need" upgrades to the Dome, I'm sure the city would vote YES in a heartbeat.

ChumpDumper
09-05-2005, 01:45 PM
If the Saints "want" or "need" upgrades to the Dome, I'm sure the city would vote YES in a heartbeat.Sure, but most likely the voters would have to approve.

TheWriter
09-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Sure, but most likely the voters would have to approve.

That's what I'm saying. The city (people) would vote yes in a heartbeat.

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Don't forget Laredo and Corpus. And the Valley is crawling with Spurs Fans...I'm sure plenty of them would make the 4 hour drive to SA for NFL games like many San Antonians make the 4 hour drive to Dallas for the Cowboys.

cherylsteele
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Don't forget Laredo and Corpus. And the Valley is crawling with Spurs Fans...I'm sure plenty of them would make the 4 hour drive to SA for NFL games like many San Antonians make the 4 hour drive to Dallas for the Cowboys.

Absolutely....a closer drive for them easily...plus some people from across the border as well.

T Park
09-05-2005, 03:11 PM
The Saints would work here no question.

I think, it also would be cool if Benson, if they do play here, would donate tickets to the games to the refugees in SA, and Houston and Dallas and bring em to watch em.

If they officially do this, Im THERE!!!

hussker
09-05-2005, 04:19 PM

That is certainly quite a hefty gas bill! And will stay that way...

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 07:13 AM
San Antonio is primed to loot the Saints from New Orleans. As if this city hasn't had enough trouble, now San Antonio is trying to fleece them out of the Saints.

Talk about kicking someone when they are down!

San Antonio should have to wait in line for an expansion team just like every other 2nd rate city (i.e., Nashville, Jacksonville).

Benson and the city of San Antonio should be ashamed of themselves. But what else would you expect from a 2nd rate wannabe city like San Antonio? If they can't get a team the legitimately then just go out and steal one.

Pathetic and shameful.

LilMissSPURfect
09-06-2005, 08:01 AM
San Antonio is primed to loot the Saints from New Orleans. As if this city hasn't had enough trouble, now San Antonio is trying to fleece them out of the Saints.

Talk about kicking someone when they are down!

San Antonio should have to wait in line for an expansion team just like every other 2nd rate city (i.e., Nashville, Jacksonville).

Benson and the city of San Antonio should be ashamed of themselves. But what else would you expect from a 2nd rate wannabe city like San Antonio? If they can't get a team the legitimately then just go out and steal one.

Pathetic and shameful.

sounds like your either from LA or OKC......

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:04 AM

City smack? Whatever it takes, I suppose, for your team sure couldn't get it done last June.

LilMissSPURfect
09-06-2005, 08:07 AM

dam shame........Artest didn't shame himself running after detroits bus in his underwear!!!!!!

:lmao
:eyebrows

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Anyways, I'd be surprised if Benson made a public decision anytime soon regarding relocation. What would make sense is for Benson to say nothing except that SA is a temporary home while NO is evacuated and made inhabitable again. Then, in a year or so he can come up with whatever reason he needs (problems with the Superdome, lack of new stadium, etc...) to relocate. Still, I would be very surprised to see the NFL owners approve such a move.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 08:09 AM

City smack? Whatever it takes, I suppose, for your team sure couldn't get it done last June.

Sorry but anyone with over a million posts really needs to get out of their Mom's basement and stop smoking pot all day. Get a life.

I would be ashamed to have over 1 million posts on a message board if I were you.

Believe me anyone that see that that you have posted over 1 million times will think the same thing as me...."WHAT A FRIGGIN' LOSER"

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:11 AM
:lol at you believing that I have a million posts.

It's actually 2 million.

Whenever you can come up with a moniker that isn't derived from the internet porn you masturbate to 10 times a day, let me know.

ObiwanGinobili
09-06-2005, 08:12 AM
WTF you mean there are people that actual go to silver star games LMAO

*slowlyraiseshandwithslightlookofshame*
:lmao

I've been to 2 and I can truthfully report that I wasn't the only person there! :spin So someones going to SilverStar games.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 08:14 AM
:lol at you believing that I have a million posts.

It's actually 2 million.

Whenever you can come up with a moniker that isn't derived from the internet porn you masturbate to 10 times a day, let me know.

Sorry but I was hoping to get "Marcus Bryant" as my screen name but someone that does bong hits in their Mom's bsement all day took it already.

Hey Marcus - How many slurpees you sell today at the 7-11? How about nachos?

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:17 AM
How many fan forums of other teams do you post at? And you tell me to "get a life"?

Finish community college, understand that your Suns are permanently the Spurs' bitches, learn to worship the greatness that is San Antonio, and seek to end your addiction to online pornography. Perhaps you can find a new hobby...or lifestyle.

Spursdaone
09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
I think that San Antonio should distance themselves from the whole Saints moving to S.A. talks. I don't want this to be a stain on this great cities reputation.

And Marcus Bryant is pretty much a tool Dirty Sanchez. But at least he's a tool that cheers on a team that has a few rings, as opposed to the Fluke that is the Phoenix Suns.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
How many fan forums of other teams do you post at? And you tell me to "get a life"?

Finish community college, understand that your Suns are permanently the Spurs' bitches, learn to worship the greatness that is San Antonio, and seek to end your addiction to online pornography. Perhaps you can find a new hobby...or lifestyle.

Sorry but none of that was even remotely funny. Don't quit the day job pumping slurpees.

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:22 AM
...don't forget to pick up some toilet paper and hand lotion after Remedial English.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 08:23 AM
...don't forget to pick up some toilet paper and hand lotion after Remedial English.

That makes no sense at all.

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:25 AM
It's not surprising that you should have trouble understanding the written word.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
If they can't get a team the legitimately then just go out and steal one.Cardinals.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Cardinals.

The San Antonio Looters has a nice ring to it. Or maybe the San Antonio Backstabbers

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
The great thing is Phoenix doesn't even value the team they stole.

37,000 a game?

Beyond pathetic.

blaze89
09-06-2005, 10:20 AM

37,000 a game?

Beyond pathetic.

That you can blame on ownership. Feel bad for Phoenix ending up with the Bidwells.

King Manu
09-06-2005, 10:30 AM
San Antonio is the best place for the Saints. San Antonio has a stronger economy than the state of L.A. Baton Rogue is a very small town. Baton is the size of Corpus Christie. No way Tom Benson moves HIS team to Baton Rouge. Tom Benson is from San Antonio and has all of his investments in San Antonio. Benson knows the NFL market is ready for San Antonio. San Antonio has more fortune 500 companies than New Orleans. San Antonio has a larger tv market than New Orleans. San Antonio as no state income tax. The saints players would love that. San Antonio has 1.8 million in the metro area. New Orleans doesn't even have 1 million in there metro area.

Which means San Antonio overall can support the Saints. Will some san antonio citizens support the saints or be traitors in supporting the cowboys. That's the main question. The Saints move here, I am going for the home team.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 10:30 AM

37,000 a game?

Beyond pathetic.

It amazes me how all you San Antonio fans can ever do is respond to my posts by ripping Phoenix rather than defend your own city.

I am not from Phoenix, have never been to Phoenix. I'm not even a Phoenix Suns fan. I had to pick a team when I signed up for this board and I randomly chose Phoenix.

Stop ripping Phoenix and start trying to defend you city's looting of the Saints from NewOrleans. Wait there is no defense for it.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I am not from Phoenix, have never been to Phoenix. I'm not even a Phoenix Suns fan.So why are you here?
Stop ripping Phoenix and start trying to defend you city's looting of the Saints from NewOrleans.Gotta play somewhere. I don't really follow the NFL and doubt they would stay long term.

So there.

King Manu
09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Well last time I checked San Antonio wasn't looting nothing. Tom Benson is the one that came to San Antonio first. Not to mention for the past 6 years, Benson has wanted the saints to come to san antonio. Benson owns the team and if wants to play in san antonio, that's fine with me

San Antonio vs. New Orleans

More fortune 500 companies= San Antonio
Bigger Population= San Antonio
Bigger television market= San Antonio
No state income tax=San Antonio
Where does Benson have his investments=San Antonio

Get the point people. San Antonio overall is better in supporting an nfl team than new orleans. That's why Benson wants to come here. Did I mention Texas is a football state.

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 10:43 AM
So why are you here?

Apparently he/she/it has nothing better to do with his/her/its life than argue online with 'convenience store clerks' all day long.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Ah, one of the bad Piston fans then.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Well last time I checked San Antonio wasn't looting nothing. Tom Benson is the one that came to San Antonio first. Not to mention for the past 6 years, Benson has wanted the saints to come to san antonio. Benson owns the team and if wants to play in san antonio, that's fine with me

San Antonio vs. New Orleans

More fortune 500 companies= San Antonio
Bigger Population= San Antonio
Bigger television market= San Antonio
No state income tax=San Antonio
Where does Benson have his investments=San Antonio

Get the point people. San Antonio overall is better in supporting an nfl team than new orleans. That's why Benson wants to come here. Did I mention Texas is a football state.

Thank you for proving my point. Your post proves that all San Antonio is interested in stealing the Saints.

You probably would lift the wallet of an accident victim before calling an ambulance.

King Manu
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
nah the city of new orleans would do that.

BillsCarnage
09-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You may get a football team.

Trainwreck2100
09-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You my friend, get the link

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank you for proving my point. Your post proves that all San Antonio is interested in stealing the Saints.

Stealing the Saints? The Saints are going to have to relocate, San Antonio is trying to seize that moment in which we have a great opportunity to get an NFL team.

Spurminator
09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
San Antonio Santos?

Gooo Santos!

newbiefan
09-06-2005, 06:57 PM
How does one know if they can afford season tickets for the NFL?? How much are they or would be?? I think it would be exciting to get the NFL in here and would probably go to one or two games a season if I could afford it, however if I had to pick due to financial concerns, I would rather buy tickets to a Spurs game .

Slydragon
09-07-2005, 02:43 AM
SA could back this right? Were they not ready to give the farm to a MLS soccer team? With dome naming rights if I saw correct. Give that to a NFL team that most SAers would care about.

blaze89
09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Are you ready for the city to spend between $500 and $700 million for the NFL to call S.A. home?

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Are you ready for the city to spend between $500 and $700 million for the NFL to call S.A. home?

Exactly. The only realistic way a NFL team would be viable in South Central Texas is to involve the Austin market in a significant way. That means placing the stadium somewhere between New Braunfels and San Marcos just off I-35.

San Antonio does not have the corporate base nor the demographic profile (per capita income, # of TV households, etc...) to be attractive on its own.

Rescueone
09-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Isn't San Antonio the 8th largest city in America? I bet there's a T.V. in every household. With Toyota and it's suppliers coming into town per capita income will be raised. Employees will see the domino effect in higher salaries due to competition for employees by employers. If Toyota steps in like it has everywhere else it has a plant and commits big bank, It can work. Suites can be built inside the dome. Just give Toyota naming rights to the dome. One cannot say Austin residents or corporation wouldn't get involved in supporting a NFL franchise in there own backyard. Unless they have insight from every corporation in the area. I go to Univ of Texas games in Austin every year, so why wouldn't residents of Austin and surrounding areas drive down I35 for a NFL game of their choice?

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 09:14 AM
What matters more is metro size. SA is far down the TV households list and Toyota isn't going to be enough. Unless an effort is made to include Austin substantively, the market is not going to be that attractive.

Naming rights will not raise the $ necessary to build a new facility.

blaze89
09-07-2005, 09:29 AM
What matters more is metro size. SA is far down the TV households list and Toyota isn't going to be enough. Unless an effort is made to include Austin substantively, the market is not going to be that attractive.

Naming rights will not raise the $ necessary to build a new facility.

Austin will support the Longhorns first before supporting any S.A. football team.

We may be the 8th largest city in the U.S. but our TV market size is 37, granted it's a few notches higher than New Orleans (43) but is that a significant difference?

Many people are saying, people will buy tickets but in the past, the city has never stepped up. The apathetic mentality the city has had in the past has given a perception that we do not want NFL football here. Not just preseason but previous S.A. pro football ventures.

It's more than having a season ticket drive but actually putting up, at minimum, half a billion dollars to land the NFL in San Antonio, money the ciy does not have.

Rescueone
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Austin will support the Longhorns first before supporting any S.A. football team.

We may be the 8th largest city in the U.S. but our TV market size is 37, granted it's a few notches higher than New Orleans (43) but is that a significant difference?

Many people are saying, people will buy tickets but in the past, the city has never stepped up. The apathetic mentality the city has had in the past has given a perception that we do not want NFL football here. Not just preseason but previous S.A. pro football ventures.

It's more than having a season ticket drive but actually putting up, at minimum, half a billion dollars to land the NFL in San Antonio, money the ciy does not have.

How does small T.V. market Green Bay, Minn, Buffalo, NO, etc, afford a NFL team? The T.V. market argument is BS, especially with networks such as DirecTV, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, are given the rights to broadcast games nation wide. What I would like to know is how many people in this area subscribe to the DirecTV NFL Ticket like myself. The T.V money is shared by every team anyway, regardless of whom or where they play. Somebody is going to watch them in one area of the country or another.

San Antonio has never hosted a regular season NFL game. so where are you getting " the city has never stepped up" argument? In the NFL, 95 to 99% preseason games never sell out, even in the number one T.V. market of New York. It's not fair to compare preseason to regular season. I bet if you were to look up attendance levels during that week New Orleans played the Vikings here, San Antonio had a better attendance than some or maybe all of the higher markets. With the USFL in San Antonio, that league wasn't going to be sucessful from the start, and were mainly located in really small populated markets. They couldn't compete with the NFL. Even in the drafting of the players. If you were a top prospect during the time the USFL and NFL were competing for players, which league would you choose? I don't know the exact attendance for the Gun Slingers, but I bet it was in the top 5 in the league for second tier football. All of Texas is a football State. The last time I checked, San Antonio is included.

If the Saints say they want to relocate here, the city, or voters probably will, probablay won't, vote for the Saints as a permenent member of the city. In the short term it's a quick fix for the Saints to play here. I'm going to the games if they play here! I'm sure many of the military personnel stationed in this area from all different areas of the country (which number in the 10's of thousands) would attend the games as well.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Minneapolis-St. Paul's TV market dwarfs SA's. Green Bay and NO are oddities in the NFL.

The TV households issue is reality. Who wants to put a team in the middle of a small TV market that has a low per capital income average to boot? If Benson is going to move out of such a market why go to a similiar one? Especially one in which a new stadium is not exactly a realistic expectation.

If he keeps the team in NO, then he's likely to get the new stadium deal that he wanted all along.

SA is going to be used as leverage to get Benson what he wants.

Rescueone
09-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Minneapolis-St. Paul's TV market dwarfs SA's. Green Bay and NO are oddities in the NFL.

The TV households issue is reality. Who wants to put a team in the middle of a small TV market that has a low per capital income average to boot? If Benson is going to move out of such a market why go to a similiar one? Especially one in which a new stadium is not exactly a realistic expectation.

If he keeps the team in NO, then he's likely to get the new stadium deal that he wanted all along.

SA is going to be used as leverage to get Benson what he wants.

I can see that happening. He used San Antonio before, he'll probably do it again with the city of New Orleans. There's talk of the Superdome having to be torn down competely. Maybe there won't be an arugument this time on a new stadium. I just want to go see some football here in San Antonio and not on T.V.

JsnSA
09-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Well...If the Saints do end up permanently relocating to San Antonio....I think I kind of would prefer that they change their name to something original (like the Oilers to Titans when they left Houston) so that once New Orleans is capable of supporting an NFL team again....they will be able to keep the Saints name.

Sure San Antonio Saints has a nice ring to it....but the Saints name should still be linked with New Orleans. Besides....that Lafleur symbol the Saints use reflects the citys french heritage so wouldnt make sense in SA.

blaze89
09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
How does small T.V. market Green Bay, Minn, Buffalo, NO, etc, afford a NFL team? The T.V. market argument is BS, especially with networks such as DirecTV, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, are given the rights to broadcast games nation wide. What I would like to know is how many people in this area subscribe to the DirecTV NFL Ticket like myself. The T.V money is shared by every team anyway, regardless of whom or where they play. Somebody is going to watch them in one area of the country or another.

The T.V. markets are key to the contracts between the networks and the NFL, high ratings bring in high advertising dollars which lead to profits of course and high ratings for other programming. When the NFL left CBS, ratings for "60 Minutes" dropped. The show no longer had an NFL lead-in.

If T.V. markets were not a factor, we wouldn't be seeing high broadcasting rights to these events. When New Orleans, Buffalo, etc. were given frachises, television wasn't key to the NFL. Now TV is the lifeblood for the NFL and all sports leagues, which is why the NFL is desperately trying to land a franchise in Los Angeles. Even with cable packages and satellite, they are still small when compared to the major networks and what the NFL can do for that network. Ratings is the key for it starts a domino effect, a positive one, affecting so many other programming and revenue.

FYI: link to current ranking of TV markets http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

San Antonio has never hosted a regular season NFL game. so where are you getting " the city has never stepped up" argument? In the NFL, 95 to 99% preseason games never sell out, even in the number one T.V. market of New York. It's not fair to compare preseason to regular season. I bet if you were to look up attendance levels during that week New Orleans played the Vikings here, San Antonio had a better attendance than some or maybe all of the higher markets. With the USFL in San Antonio, that league wasn't going to be sucessful from the start, and were mainly located in really small populated markets. They couldn't compete with the NFL. Even in the drafting of the players. If you were a top prospect during the time the USFL and NFL were competing for players, which league would you choose? I don't know the exact attendance for the Gun Slingers, but I bet it was in the top 5 in the league for second tier football. All of Texas is a football State. The last time I checked, San Antonio is included.

Of course NFL cities won't sell out preseason (exhibition) games cause they have eight regular season games, they have a team and are not trying to obtain one.

San Antonio had 46.752 for the last preseason game here and tickets were on sale for one year (I was at the game), blacked-out locally and I considered that a disappointment. The apathetic response the city had for this preseason game, in my opinion, wasn't the response we, as a city, needed to give. I do remember, it was loud for 45,000 but I'm certain NFL circles were not impressived. To send the right statement to the NFL, that game needed to be a sellout with an over-enthusiastic crowd.

When Bud Adams had the Oilers play two exhibition games in the Alamodome, attendance was disappointing, less than 30,000 for one game and just over 40,000 for the next. At the time, he basically said, if the city wants a team they have to do better than this.

That left an impression on him, a bad impression, that when he decided to move the Oilers out of Houston, San Antonio was never on his mind.

Gunslingers attendance the first year was (approx) 14,000 and 11,000. I mention past leagues because it has played into the perception that the city cannot support pro football. Jacksonville, Fla, with a smaller TV market, has shown tremendous support in previous leagues, even averaging 45,000 for the USFL. The fans apathy, mentality of "it's not the NFL" hasn't worked, hasn't impressed anyone. Jacksonville wasn't afraid to be used as a bargaining chip, had city government support something this city has refused to do, except for the cosmetic - make sure this gets on TV - photo ops.

Tom Landry when he was a minority owner with the Riders said, support this team and it will help you land an NFL team. Sure, you can say he was trying to get people in the seats for his team, but he was right.

Look at the reasoning the NFL is using against San Antonio, cannot sellout the Alamodome. They didn't come up with reason out of the nowhere. You trying to make an impression on people and apathy is not the way to do it. The Texas is a football state reasoning isn't working plus San Antonio certainly hasn't lived up to that reputation.

If the Saints say they want to relocate here, the city, or voters probably will, probablay won't, vote for the Saints as a permenent member of the city. In the short term it's a quick fix for the Saints to play here. I'm going to the games if they play here! I'm sure many of the military personnel stationed in this area from all different areas of the country (which number in the 10's of thousands) would attend the games as well.

Short term, it will be a grand opportunity for San Antonio. For this season, if the Saints can give us three games, its an opportunity for the city to prove a point - all quick sellouts, then its a step in the right direction, especially in removing the "lack of support" tag.. Then the city government will have to take over and go beyond the cosmetic photo ops and soundbites.

I've stated previously that season tickets and attendance are not the only factors for getting a team. The city will have to practically give up the farm to land a team. There will be NO voter referendum, Saints will say, "we'll come but what do you have to offer?" This will be determined by city council in what to offer the NFL in getting a team here. I can think of two council members, off hand, that will be against it just on principle.

Rescueone
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
The T.V. markets are key to the contracts between the networks and the NFL, high ratings bring in high advertising dollars which lead to profits of course and high ratings for other programming. When the NFL left CBS, ratings for "60 Minutes" dropped. The show no longer had an NFL lead-in.

If T.V. markets were not a factor, we wouldn't be seeing high broadcasting rights to these events. When New Orleans, Buffalo, etc. were given frachises, television wasn't key to the NFL. Now TV is the lifeblood for the NFL and all sports leagues, which is why the NFL is desperately trying to land a franchise in Los Angeles. Even with cable packages and satellite, they are still small when compared to the major networks and what the NFL can do for that network. Ratings is the key for it starts a domino effect, a positive one, affecting so many other programming and revenue.

FYI: link to current ranking of TV markets http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

Of course NFL cities won't sell out preseason (exhibition) games cause they have eight regular season games, they have a team and are not trying to obtain one.

San Antonio had 46.752 for the last preseason game here and tickets were on sale for one year (I was at the game), blacked-out locally and I considered that a disappointment. The apathetic response the city had for this preseason game, in my opinion, wasn't the response we, as a city, needed to give. I do remember, it was loud for 45,000 but I'm certain NFL circles were not impressived. To send the right statement to the NFL, that game needed to be a sellout with an over-enthusiastic crowd.

When Bud Adams had the Oilers play two exhibition games in the Alamodome, attendance was disappointing, less than 30,000 for one game and just over 40,000 for the next. At the time, he basically said, if the city wants a team they have to do better than this.

That left an impression on him, a bad impression, that when he decided to move the Oilers out of Houston, San Antonio was never on his mind.

Gunslingers attendance the first year was (approx) 14,000 and 11,000. I mention past leagues because it has played into the perception that the city cannot support pro football. Jacksonville, Fla, with a smaller TV market, has shown tremendous support in previous leagues, even averaging 45,000 for the USFL. The fans apathy, mentality of "it's not the NFL" hasn't worked, hasn't impressed anyone. Jacksonville wasn't afraid to be used as a bargaining chip, had city government support something this city has refused to do, except for the cosmetic - make sure this gets on TV - photo ops.

Tom Landry when he was a minority owner with the Riders said, support this team and it will help you land an NFL team. Sure, you can say he was trying to get people in the seats for his team, but he was right.

Look at the reasoning the NFL is using against San Antonio, cannot sellout the Alamodome. They didn't come up with reason out of the nowhere. You trying to make an impression on people and apathy is not the way to do it. The Texas is a football state reasoning isn't working plus San Antonio certainly hasn't lived up to that reputation.

Short term, it will be a grand opportunity for San Antonio. For this season, if the Saints can give us three games, its an opportunity for the city to prove a point - all quick sellouts, then its a step in the right direction, especially in removing the "lack of support" tag.. Then the city government will have to take over and go beyond the cosmetic photo ops and soundbites.
I've stated previously that season tickets and attendance are not the only factors for getting a team. The city will have to practically give up the farm to land a team. There will be NO voter referendum, Saints will say, "we'll come but what do you have to offer?" This will be determined by city council in what to offer the NFL in getting a team here. I can think of two council members, off hand, that will be against it just on principle.

:tu :tu I agree. Which three games would you perfer they let use showcase San Antonio? I would like to see, Buffalo, Atlanta and Detroit!
How about others?

Thanks for that T.V ratings link site. great info.

I thought that the rights to broadcast NFL games were on contract for X-amount of games for, X-amount of years, for X-amount of dollars. How does advertising dollars play a part when it's already under contract with the networks? Do the teams get an extra cut for high viewing attendance? If they do, seems like the NFL is double dipping to me.

I agree San Antonio has to prove everyone wrong with the attendance issue. If the decide to play here, I'm commited to going.

Rescueone
09-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Saints home games are:
Buffalo, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Detroit

j-6
09-07-2005, 03:30 PM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_metropolitan_areas_in_the_Americas

Here are all the moves and/or expansions in the NFL in the last 20 years, with 2000's metro populations. Bolds are higher than SA, italics are lower.

Population of Indianapolis ('84): 1,796,535

Population of Phoenix ('88): 3,792,251

Population of Jacksonville ('93): 1,214,124

Population of Charlotte ('93): 1,658,157

Population of St Louis ('95): 2,629,256

Population of Oakland ('95): 7,533,837 (W/ San Francisco and San Jose)

Population of Baltimore ('96): 8,036,348 (W/ DC)

Population of Memphis ('97): 1,169,716

Population of Nashville ('98): 1,330,842

Population of Cleveland ('99): 2,956,323

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Population of San Antonio: 1,739,834

Population of Austin: 1,503,247

(combined total: 3,255,249)

Population of New Orleans ('67): 1,342,639

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 03:40 PM
SA & Austin combined would be an attractive market. But it's not like the NFL's ratings are going to be that piss poor if there is not a team in this area.

Here's a random thought, what if the NFL tried to break into Canada? If you could turn another country onto the league the prospective payoff would seem to be a bit larger than counting on more Texans to watch football.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 03:45 PM
In addition, what about the per capita income and TV household rankings for those expansion and relocation cities? I'm too lazy to look but my guess is that SA and NO would be near or at the bottom.

Rescueone
09-07-2005, 03:52 PM
SA & Austin combined would be an attractive market. But it's not like the NFL's ratings are going to be that piss poor if there is not a team in this area.

Here's a random thought, what if the NFL tried to break into Canada? If you could turn another country onto the league the prospective payoff would seem to be a bit larger than counting on more Texans to watch football.

The question is, how would the CFL take the NFL coming into their country?
We're talking Canadians here, where Ice hockey is king!

j-6
09-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, and the metro markets in the US and Canada bigger than SA without an NFL team (I forgot Houston on the earlier list, but they're over 5M):

Los Angeles 17,542,967
Toronto 9,791,270
Montreal 3,601,870
Portland 2,467,746
Vancouver 2,157,454
Sacramento 1,980,692
Las Vegas 1,952,820
Orlando 1,901,541

blaze89
09-07-2005, 03:56 PM
:tu :tu I agree. Which three games would you perfer they let use showcase San Antonio? I would like to see, Buffalo, Atlanta and Detroit!
How about others?

Thanks for that T.V ratings link site. great info.

We can't be picky, the NFL doesn't want to give us just one, so if the city can get three - one to set a mark, two for improvement or to prove game one wasn't a fluke, three to cement the statement - this can go either positive or negative for us.

I thought that the rights to broadcast NFL games were on contract for X-amount of games for, X-amount of years, for X-amount of dollars. How does advertising dollars play a part when it's already under contract with the networks? Do the teams get an extra cut for high viewing attendance? If they do, seems like the NFL is double dipping to me.

Pay attention to tomorrow's opening game and see how many new shows are being advertising during the contest. The NFL already has their piece from the TV contract so I'm talking from a network standpoint. Networks love to have NFL programming to sell ad time cause the NFL brings in high ratings. Networks want the larger TV markets for advertisers and ad revenue, the NFL has alot of money coming in from the networks so there is a connection between the NFL and TV markets with is the networks and advertising profits.

I agree San Antonio has to prove everyone wrong with the attendance issue. If the decide to play here, I'm commited to going.

Have fun!

j-6
09-07-2005, 04:04 PM
In addition, what about the per capita income and TV household rankings for those expansion and relocation cities? I'm too lazy to look but my guess is that SA and NO would be near or at the bottom.
National top and bottom 10 (with the Valley and Laredo bringing up the rear), then further down the page is a chart with all major area data:
http://www.bea.gov/bea/newsrel/MPINewsRelease.htm

New Orleans Per capita personal income (MSA) 2003: $30,092
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108567.html

San Antonio Per capita personal income (MSA) 2003 $27,810
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108597.html

Vashner
09-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I heard a rumor several players purchased houses in one of the new fancy hill country developments to get kids in good schools etc... in the last couple days ..

Rescueone
09-13-2005, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=Rescueone]:tu :tu I agree. Which three games would you perfer they let use showcase San Antonio? I would like to see, Buffalo, Atlanta and Detroit!

It looks like I'm getting my wish!!!!! OOOOOOOH YEAH! Come on San Antonio,
let's do our part.

tlongII
09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Damn! I'm jealous as hell of the Saints playing 3 games in San Antonio! I have to drive over 3 hours up the interstate to see the Seahawks play if I want to see NFL football.