PDA

View Full Version : A blast from the past...Speedy Claxton

apalisoc_9
03-18-2015, 12:05 AM
I was reading a thread yesterday about Alvin Robertson and I realized all the good ones the spurs had before..

Here in the most important game of the season..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEJA1X1_Lp4

Amazing performance.

spurraider21
03-18-2015, 12:07 AM
Kawhi chokes a bit and this dude puts up 4 diversion/deflection threads :lmao

dabom
03-18-2015, 12:07 AM
I was going to post this too. Forgotten spurs hero. :cry

Clipper Nation
03-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Kawhi chokes a bit and this dude puts up 4 diversion/deflection threads :lmao

http://i.imgur.com/hyINRkY.jpg

ElNono
03-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Special kind of guy. Gave us his best when his best was needed. I should also mention Kerr here, who was also crucial in the WCF that year against Dallas.

It's kinda weird, because the backup PG spot has always been a sort of achilles heel for the Spurs, but at the same time, we luckied out with some characters that really stepped up in key situations, and we would have less rings otherwise, no doubt about it.

Malik Hairston
03-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Yep..

Thankful for Speedy during that run, tbh, the Spurs' starting PG was only 20 years old..at that age, with the expectations of being a starter, playing in the Finals is extremely stressful and it takes a special individual to perform at overcome it(Duncan in '99, Kawhi in 2013 and 2014)..fortunately, Speedy came in and thrived without the expectations, the bar wasn't set too high, anyways..

Mikeanaro
03-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Lol at Porker´s ass face during Speedy´s masterclass.

ElNono
03-18-2015, 12:18 AM
Here's the Kerr vid:

kO4caOwS6jI

Just an amazing run...

RD2191
03-18-2015, 12:22 AM
OP with solid basketball discussion.

HI-FI
03-18-2015, 12:32 AM
"Speedy Claxton in for the ineffective Parker."

before Pop started to see him as his wayward French son. Hopefully Pop can do the right thing again when the time comes.

Darius Bieber
03-18-2015, 12:57 AM
I wish TJ Ford wouldn't have had the career ending injury.... Might have become a solid back up too.

spurraider21
03-18-2015, 12:59 AM
:lol deflection

http://i.gyazo.com/3fea6148219279bfcf4e636884c4e77d.png

apalisoc_9
03-18-2015, 02:10 AM
"Speedy Claxton in for the ineffective Parker."

before Pop started to see him as his wayward French son. Hopefully Pop can do the right thing again when the time comes.

Johnny RIngo
03-18-2015, 05:25 AM
Parker and Claxton's 2003 Finals stats:

http://s5.postimg.org/5hgi20jkn/Parker_Claxton_2003_Finals.png

Forgot how awful Tony was in this series. 45% TS and 96 ORtg...ouch.

bklynspursfan
03-18-2015, 07:24 AM

Still very raw. Was just his 3rd season, the team revolved around Timmy. He didn't really come into his own till 05 or 06. He just couldn't shoot the ball effectively, and he hadn't developed into much of a play maker. There's a reason why Pop/TD has their doubts about him lol. But Chip really changed his game. That mid range shot opened up a ton of things for him.

Clipper Nation
03-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Greatest Spurs point guards ever:

1. James Silas
2. Johnny Moore
3. Mike Gale
4. Speedy Claxton
5. MVPatty Mills

Honorable Mention: Avery, CoJo, Boobie Gibson

dabom
03-18-2015, 12:39 PM

boogie man is out. :lmao

RD2191
03-18-2015, 12:57 PM

1. James Silas
2. Johnny Moore
3. Mike Gale
4. Speedy Claxton
5. MVPatty Mills

:toast

K...
03-18-2015, 01:13 PM

1. James Silas
2. Johnny Moore
3. Mike Gale
4. Speedy Claxton
5. MVPatty Mills

Sometimes you try too hard.

Johnny RIngo
03-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Still very raw. Was just his 3rd season, the team revolved around Timmy. He didn't really come into his own till 05 or 06. He just couldn't shoot the ball effectively, and he hadn't developed into much of a play maker. There's a reason why Pop/TD has their doubts about him lol. But Chip really changed his game. That mid range shot opened up a ton of things for him.

Yeah, it's very uncommon for a young player to take over a Finals series. Spurs fans are extremely fortunate to have had players like Duncan in 1999 and Kawhi in 2014 step up at such a young age and win Finals MVP.

I don't necessarily agree about Parker coming into his own in 2005/2006. Yeah, he became a better reg season player but he continued choking in the playoffs. Was really awful in the 2005 Finals for example. Billups facefucked him hard that series(Beno was even worse). We were really lucky we had prime Manu back then to run the offense because TP was extremely unreliable in the postseason. It wasn't until 2007 that Tony finally had a decent playoff run. But he's still been inconsistent ever since. 2013 Finals comes to mind. You get MVP hype around the league and you proceed to get outplayed by Mario fucking Chalmers in games 6 and 7? Talk about wilting under the pressure.

bklynspursfan
03-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Yeah, it's very uncommon for a young player to take over a Finals series. Spurs fans are extremely fortunate to have had players like Duncan in 1999 and Kawhi in 2014 step up at such a young age and win Finals MVP.

I don't necessarily agree about Parker coming into his own in 2005/2006. Yeah, he became a better reg season player but he continued choking in the playoffs. Was really awful in the 2005 Finals for example. Billups facefucked him hard that series(Beno was even worse). We were really lucky we had prime Manu back then to run the offense because TP was extremely unreliable in the postseason. It wasn't until 2007 that Tony finally had a decent playoff run. But he's still been inconsistent ever since. 2013 Finals comes to mind. You get MVP hype around the league and you proceed to get outplayed by Mario fucking Chalmers in games 6 and 7? Talk about wilting under the pressure.

Agreed... Duncan/Kawhi are special. Some guys just have it and are much more ready physically and mentally for the big moment.

I guess when I say came into his own, it's more about expanding his game to being more than just a guy who hits a tear drop in the paint. But yea I agree about the 2005. That was a tough series for just about everyone though. Manu was special... But those guys were bigger/stronger and pretty dam physical. But thinking about it, he's never really been our closer or guy who finishes games. Sure he's done it before (game winner vs OKC, 2013 finals game 1, etc...), but through the years, it was Manu usually with the ball in his hands, and probably with good reason. Creating for other guys, getting guys like Neal/Green etc an open look. It's far better than relying on him to make magic happen. That's not necessarily a slight at him, but you want to get the best shot possible.

Game 6 & 7 of those finals, I feel like it's the same struggles we saw from him this season re: his hamstring. Once he tweaked it, he just wasn't the same player. Mobility was limited. I don't want to come across as a "player fan" (that's what they're called here right?) but I think the hamstring really hampered him at the end of that series. He's gotten better at hitting that corner 3 in late games which is good. Probably less pressure, and doesn't get as tired dribbling sometimes for 8-12 seconds and then trying to make something happen. Just be a catch and shoot guy sometimes.

Silver&Black
03-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Greatest Spurs PG ever:

1. Tony Parker

l
l
l
V
Go a long way down to reach the next guy

K...
03-18-2015, 06:25 PM
There seems to be a split in attitude here. I say, when Tony was shut down by larger stronger players it does not diminish his place as an all time great. Defense in the playoffs is brutal, Billups? That guy was a prime great defensive guard. I mean Gregg ostertag punked Duncan and no one cares about that.

ElNono
03-18-2015, 06:34 PM

If you take 2007 away for a minute, do you rank him above or below Mo Williams, tbh?

Hoops Czar
03-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Blast from the past? More like an anomaly. It's no wonder this overrated, overhyped d-league scrub was able to complete 6 season in the NBA.

Johnny RIngo
03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
If you take 2007 away for a minute, do you rank him above or below Mo Williams, tbh?

:lol Not a bad comparison. Mo also had a flukey 50 point game too.

ChumpDumper
03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Dude hit shots when he was left open.

Good for him.

Clipper Nation
03-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Greatest Spurs PG ever:

1. Tony Parker

l
l
l
V
Go a long way down to reach the next guy
Terrible take.

There seems to be a split in attitude here. I say, when Tony was shut down by larger stronger players it does not diminish his place as an all time great.
Enrique isn't an all-time great. Also, when you're that easy to shut down, you can't be an "all-time great."

I mean Gregg ostertag punked Duncan and no one cares about that.
Because it happened in fucking Summer League :lol

:lmao Comparing Summer League basketball to the playoffs
:lmao Enriquesuckers

timtonymanu
03-18-2015, 08:37 PM

1. James Silas
2. Johnny Moore
3. Mike Gale
4. Speedy Claxton
5. MVPatty Mills

Great list. MVPatty deserves more love for being one of the reasons for killing Miami.

Silver&Black
03-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Terrible take.

:lmao Yeah because leaving the Spurs best PG in franchise history off of your top 5 is a "great take".

K...
03-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Terrible take.

Enrique isn't an all-time great. Also, when you're that easy to shut down, you can't be an "all-time great."

uh, i am actually not arguing he is an all time great. He's behind Nash, CP3, and kidd from this generation. but he's been miles better than any PG the spurs have recently had or could get without gutting the team. This thread was a subtle argument that PArker whould be considered a chump for being sucky in 2003. The reality is that he was too young then but had a great 10 year stretch after that.

But anyway the greatest spurs PG of All time was

TJ FORD

*mills is not a pg

TampaDude
03-18-2015, 11:24 PM
I was reading a thread yesterday about Alvin Robertson and I realized all the good ones the spurs had before..

Here in the most important game of the season..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEJA1X1_Lp4

Amazing performance.

Awesome!!! :hat

daslicer
03-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Speedy was a great backup PG but never amounted to anything else once he left the Spurs. Even as a starter with the Warriors his numbers weren't impressive.

Clipper Nation
03-19-2015, 12:44 AM
:lmao Yeah because leaving the Spurs best PG in franchise history off of your top 5 is a "great take".

James Silas is on there.

Sean Cagney
03-19-2015, 12:50 AM
Speedy was a great backup PG but never amounted to anything else once he left the Spurs. Even as a starter with the Warriors his numbers weren't impressive.

True, I appreciate him for this year and the job he did in some of those playoff games but this is the truth.

Do not forget Brent Barry to spell Tony as well, so we had two good ball handlers to come in when Tony started F'ing up in the finals and so on. Those two in key games for us in 05 (Brent and Manu) were huge, if Tony started to falter we had them to fall back on to run the point. I agree on 07 as well, Tony used to always light up the Suns before that because of Nash's bad D but it was not until 07 he had a full playoff run where he was effective. That was the first year he faced a weak PG in the finals too though, no Kidd or Billups to push him around out there. He is very inconsistent in the playoffs, 013 Memphis he was ON FIRE and Dallas game 7 last year he was lights out, other series though he dissapears or seems off his game.

100%duncan
03-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Damn, "Speedy claxton in for the ineffective tony parker" :lol

T Park
03-19-2015, 01:26 AM

He was 21 facing the second best defensive team in the league.

Jesus christ

boutons_deux
03-19-2015, 03:27 AM
Speedy had a sorta good run as a backup PG, famous for the 03 playoffs for standing on Tony's shoulders that carried the Spurs through the season to the Finals, but as the rest of his career showed, he really was at best mediocre and soon out of the league.

dabom
03-19-2015, 03:34 AM
Speedy had a sorta good run as a backup PG, famous for the 03 playoffs for standing on Tony's shoulders that carried the Spurs through the season to the Finals, but as the rest of his career showed, he really was at best mediocre and soon out of the league.

That spurs system really helps out PGs.

SASdynasty!
03-19-2015, 07:44 AM

You forgot to mention how Parker outscored every other Spur outside of Duncan by a large margin in that series (Robinson, Jackson, Ginobili, etc.)...and to his credit, Claxton averaged almost half of Tony's PPG.

SASdynasty!
03-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Exactly, he made 2 shots in the 4th quarter of a closeout Finals game. Parker did 3 times that last year.

K...
03-19-2015, 08:57 AM
True, I appreciate him for this year and the job he did in some of those playoff games but this is the truth.

Do not forget Brent Barry to spell Tony as well, so we had two good ball handlers to come in when Tony started F'ing up in the finals and so on. Those two in key games for us in 05 (Brent and Manu) were huge, if Tony started to falter we had them to fall back on to run the point. I agree on 07 as well, Tony used to always light up the Suns before that because of Nash's bad D but it was not until 07 he had a full playoff run where he was effective. That was the first year he faced a weak PG in the finals too though, no Kidd or Billups to push him around out there. He is very inconsistent in the playoffs, 013 Memphis he was ON FIRE and Dallas game 7 last year he was lights out, other series though he dissapears or seems off his game.

So what this amounts to is that bigger ball handlers were sometimes more effective than Parker? I find this to be fine. It's not a knock on a player if they can't beat all matchups. They just got to beat most and not go Kobe /Westbrook

Tony is not an all time great, but He's not a role player either.

unleashbaynes
03-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Tony shit on the Lakers that year. OP has a selective memory.

unleashbaynes
03-19-2015, 09:55 AM
:cry if it weren't for Enrique we'd win a ring every year :cry

this is getting gay

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Terrible take.

Because it happened in fucking Summer League :lol

:lmao Comparing Summer League basketball to the playoffs
:lmao Enriquesuckers
LeBron could stop him in 13'

Sean Cagney
03-19-2015, 01:48 PM
So what this amounts to is that bigger ball handlers were sometimes more effective than Parker? I find this to be fine. It's not a knock on a player if they can't beat all matchups. They just got to beat most and not go Kobe /Westbrook

Tony is not an all time great, but He's not a role player either.

I think Tony is a HOF PG if you put his body of work together man, if not he is close because of the rings and what he has done in his career. Tony has been an all star and a MVP candidate in 2013, he is not an all time great but he is farrrrrrrrr from a slouch. He did or does let match ups get in his head though and just kind of whimpers when that happens, never liked that part about him.
Tony shit on the Lakers that year. OP has a selective memory.

Yes he did, haters never mention the series when Tony actually helped out alot and balled out. They just choose the 03 Finals when he was 20 years old against a HOF player and still had a few good games, that and the 05 Finals where Billups was on top of his game and just bullied out two PG's (Beno) around.

SASdynasty!
03-19-2015, 03:00 PM
I think Tony is a HOF PG if you put his body of work together man, if not he is close because of the rings and what he has done in his career. Tony has been an all star and a MVP candidate in 2013, he is not an all time great but he is farrrrrrrrr from a slouch. He did or does let match ups get in his head though and just kind of whimpers when that happens, never liked that part about him.

Yes he did, haters never mention the series when Tony actually helped out alot and balled out. They just choose the 03 Finals when he was 20 years old against a HOF player and still had a few good games, that and the 05 Finals where Billups was on top of his game and just bullied out two PG's (Beno) around.
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbut Tony didn't even play the second half of last year's WCF and we still won in overtime! And and and there were other games we won when Tony didn't play well. Sssssso so so in conclusion, Parker sucks! He's one of the worst point guards of all time. The Spurs would be better without him. Speedy Claxton and Patty Mills were so much better. Becuase those guys made some shots during a Finals run, that's why!

SASdynasty!
03-19-2015, 03:01 PM
:cry if it weren't for Enrique we'd win a ring every year :cry

this is getting gay
Probably 2 in some years. The Spurs might have 15-20 rings since 2002 if Tony wasn't our PG.

Sean Cagney
03-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbut Tony didn't even play the second half of last year's WCF and we still won in overtime! And and and there were other games we won when Tony didn't play well. Sssssso so so in conclusion, Parker sucks! He's one of the worst point guards of all time. The Spurs would be better without him. Speedy Claxton and Patty Mills were so much better. Becuase those guys made some shots during a Finals run, that's why!

I always laugh at this man, when they say trade him now! Trade him for what? You would not get a high pick for him now nor value back that matches him and we sure as HELL are not going far in the playoffs if we have CJ or Patty starting, they can't be serious? They are backup PG's. Tony is needed at a high level to go far, those games we mention aside he really is needed for them to get anywhere.