PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report saying Spurs will make a serious run at M. Gasol

$pursDynasty
03-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Not a new rumor and nothing solid to back it up. (I don't buy into free agency rumors until TSpence gives the word). Just posting that IF the Spurs were to make a run at one offseason max contract like FA outside of the organization, I would much prefer L.Aldridge over M. Gasol. Aldridge might be the best PF in the game right now and appears to have many good years in front of him, Now I prefer my 4's to play closer to the basket but when his mid range and long range 2's are falling he is nigh unstoppable. Marc is a good enough center but for me LA>>MG. If the Spurs made a run at a top tier FA (and when have we ever landed one of those(heck we never get the 2nd tier ones)) who would you guys want? For just about the last 2 decades the Spurs have been home to the best PF in the game, getting LA would move that number to 3 (decades).

Leetonidas
03-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Marc Gasol is a much better player than Aldridge overall imo. Aldridge gets the nod offensively but the gap isn't even that large and Gasol is a much better defender and passer. Spurs land Gasol and they are set to contend for the next 5 years

Maddog
03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-03-19/nba-free-agency-marc-gasol-san-antonio-spurs-memphis-grizzlies-tim-duncan-manu-ginobili-kawhi-leonard?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think this is more speculation than fact. It looks like a good pairing etc. However I would be shocked if Gasol leaves Memphis.

hater
03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
bleacher report says a lot of things. they usually throw massive amounts of shit and sometimes a spec or 2 sticks

Raven
03-19-2015, 01:40 PM
not happening, but would be great.

Cry Havoc
03-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Marc Gasol is a much better player than Aldridge overall imo. Aldridge gets the nod offensively but the gap isn't even that large and Gasol is a much better defender and passer. Spurs land Gasol and they are set to contend for the next 5 years

Spurs land EITHER big and they'd be set. Remember, this is Pop and co. They could take a talented big like Aldridge and make him a top 10 defender in the league.

Sean Cagney
03-19-2015, 01:51 PM
bleacher report says a lot of things. they usually throw massive amounts of shit and sometimes a spec or 2 sticks

^^^ This, when someone posts Bleacher report as a source I laugh at them immediately and say it's Bleacher Report man come on. That is a joke.
not happening, but would be great.

Pretty much.

TXstbobcat
03-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Many teams will make a serious run at Gasol in the off season.

kobyz
03-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I hear Spurs are planning to go after MCW in two years...

Legacy
03-19-2015, 02:14 PM
I've actually read this same rumor on a few reputable sites. It seems to be a pretty strong rumor. I wonder if baby Gasol would really leave Memphis to come here, especially since he's doing so well with the Grizz already. Anyway-- Fuck Pau. I'd take his lil' brother first anyday.

Richie
03-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Spurs land EITHER big and they'd be set. Remember, this is Pop and co. They could take a talented big like Aldridge and make him a top 10 defender in the league.

Of course either would be fantastic, Gasol and Aldridge are my 1a and 1b candidates. I'd give the slight nod to Gasol because he's a better defender and he would fit perfectly with the Spurs style.

I think the only way either one moves is if they get badly beaten in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised to see Portland get swept without Wes Matthews.

gambit1990
03-19-2015, 02:26 PM
don't read bleacher report. ever.

RD2191
03-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Gasol won't leave Memphis. No chance. Spurs should go after Anthony Davis (hard ) whenever he is available.

CGD
03-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Would be amazing to land either. TP-Leonard-MG/LA would set the Spurs up nice until Tony wanes.

The other pie in the sky scenario would be for NOLA to mismanage Davis by surrounding him with shitty coaching and players over the next two years, convince Tim to stick around until then, and Tim pitching Davis on being the torch bearer of SA bigs.

Dex
03-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Is a rumor really a rumor if it's like the most blatantly obvious move for the Spurs to make?

Of course the Spurs will go after Gasol...the question is, will he really want to leave Memphis and, if so, would it be for S.A.?

illusioNtEk
03-19-2015, 02:54 PM
LMA, KIWI, TP is good enough

apalisoc_9
03-19-2015, 03:12 PM
The problem with Gasol is that he tends to be like Kawhi in a sense that they take off days offensively in terms of aggresivness. SOme nights you see him take 5 shots..:lol. Kawhi is 23, but this nigga is in his older 20's...

He's a good fit with Kawhi though.

RD2191
03-19-2015, 03:18 PM
We need a new PG. Parker is just too old and slow and the PG position is stacked out West and even in the East. I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench though.

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2015, 03:23 PM
We need a new PG. Parker is just too old and slow and the PG position is stacked out West and even in the East. I wouldn't mind seeing him come off the bench though.

I agree but it's a shitload of money to pay a backup point guard. I'd much rather just unload him to someone dumb enough to take that contract. At this point, even an average PG that can pass would be a better fit than TP. Assuming TP doesn't regain his quickness.

Richie
03-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Gasol won't leave Memphis. No chance. Spurs should go after Anthony Davis (hard ) whenever he is available.

So we shouldn't do anything for the next 5 years then?

DMC
03-19-2015, 03:25 PM
No big name ever comes to the Spurs of free will. They won't even consider it until they are just shy of TOSB status.

RD2191
03-19-2015, 03:31 PM
I agree but it's a shitload of money to pay a backup point guard. I'd much rather just unload him to someone dumb enough to take that contract. At this point, even an average PG that can pass would be a better fit than TP. Assuming TP doesn't regain his quickness.
Even if he regains it it would still be a risk. Duncan used to patrol the paint like a boss which would cover up TPs shitty defense. Unless we get Anthony Davis we're screwed. :lol

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2015, 03:32 PM
No big name ever comes to the Spurs of free will. They won't even consider it until they are just shy of TOSB status.

Unfortunately, this seems to be true. As much as I'd hoped that someone would jump at the chance to play for Pop and with the big 3, it's never really panned out. And now that Duncan is past his prime, it's even more unlikely. Would be nice to not have so much $ committed to some players though.

RD2191
03-19-2015, 03:32 PM
So we shouldn't do anything for the next 5 years then?
Sure, but there is zero reason for him to leave when they've arguably been the 3rd most successful team out West the past few years behind Spurs/OKC. I say Davis or bust. We can afford to tank next year and get a high pick imo.

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Even if he regains it it would still be a risk. Duncan used to patrol the paint like a boss which would cover up TPs shitty defense. Unless we get Anthony Davis we're screwed. :lol

I agree for anything past this season. If Tony somehow regained some quickness and went off in the playoffs, I'd trade his ass at the first reasonable offer. Unfortunately, the Spurs don't do that. I thought they should have traded him a couple of years ago when he was blowing past people. I think they could have got have gotten some significant contributors for him.

I assume when you say "screwed" it means good enough not to fall into the lottery but not good enough to really contend either. and yeah...unless they can make a significant move, that's where this is headed.

But for this season, I'm still all in.

FlAVaK
03-19-2015, 03:47 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-03-19/nba-free-agency-marc-gasol-san-antonio-spurs-memphis-grizzlies-tim-duncan-manu-ginobili-kawhi-leonard?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think this is more speculation than fact. It looks like a good pairing etc. However I would be shocked if Gasol leaves Memphis.

Bleacher was not the source! It is mentioned here...

FlAVaK
03-19-2015, 03:50 PM
“It depends on what Tim and Manu and everyone there does,” one Western Conference executive told Sporting News. “But if they’re going, the Spurs are not going to step back and rebuild, no one thinks that. The understanding is Gasol would be their top target.”
“They tend to fly under the radar on this kind of thing, then pop up and make the George Hill trade or almost get Jason Kidd,” one general manager said. “With their situation, you’d expect that to be the case again. If it is not Gasol, it will be a trade for a draft pick, something on draft night, it will be someone you’re not expecting. It’s not an organization that has gotten where it is without being prepared.”

But still mostly speculation...

K...
03-19-2015, 04:09 PM
The above discussion re Tony Parker assumes that there are competent players who can run the spurs offense, want to play here, and play defense existing.

Regarding gasol, we should just keep an open gasol thread since the rumors will keep coming. It's a 5% chance at best.

Please list these elite two way defenders.

cjw
03-19-2015, 04:12 PM
I stopped reading at Bleacher

Cry Havoc
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Of course either would be fantastic, Gasol and Aldridge are my 1a and 1b candidates. I'd give the slight nod to Gasol because he's a better defender and he would fit perfectly with the Spurs style.

I think the only way either one moves is if they get badly beaten in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised to see Portland get swept without Wes Matthews.

As much as I value defense, I'd almost take Aldridge because he's such a superior offensive player, and at times it would be nice to have that guy who could step up in the post when Duncan retires. I don't think Gasol would ever be able to "suck defenses in" like LMA can when he's on.

Of course, this is all fantasy. I doubt we even have a decent shot at getting either.

RD2191
03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
The above discussion re Tony Parker assumes that there are competent players who can run the spurs offense, want to play here, and play defense existing.

Regarding gasol, we should just keep an open gasol thread since the rumors will keep coming. It's a 5% chance at best.

No one said elite. And running the Spurs offense? Are you kidding me? Pass pass PASS. There is no such thing as Spurs offense. It is all based on ball movement. Mills did a great job last night with his youth and athleticism. As for list? Don't have to. That's what the front office is for. These are just suggestions on a forum. And quit being a faggot. You're as annoying as chump.

Uriel
03-19-2015, 04:26 PM
This isn't news at all. It's just an assumption made by league executives that's obvious to anyone with half a brain.

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2015, 04:38 PM

I'm pretty sure there are competent players out there who can both pass AND play better defense than Parker. Yes...I'm pretty sure. Even run the PG by committee. TP is below average in defense and passing and 3 point shooting. THe only thing that he was great at was penetration (ha ha). But now, he's just above average at best.

So anyone that can move the ball and is average at everything else is going to be an upgrade from Parker. And if that PG excels at any one of those things, even better.

Agloco
03-19-2015, 04:53 PM

This.......and nothing else.

BatManu20
03-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Yet another thread of an All-Star who won't sign with the Spurs as a FA. People on ST like to set themselves up for being let down a lot, it seems.

BatManu20
03-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Anthony Davis isn't coming here either. He'll have his choice of any team in the league in 2 years, and we'll be without Timmy and Manu by then. Zero shot he comes here.

K...
03-19-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm glad to play my part in creating a Parker thread. But I still don't know who is battle tested and will take Parkers salary. Mills is not a point guard. His defense is a gimmick. Love him, but I hope he never is more than our sixth man.

Point guards will never be able to defend both size and speed.That's why you run schemes and switch off bigger defenders. There is no magic competent defender point guard in the league who can also match Parkers production....let's set a low bar of 17pts a game. Find me this player. Tell me his salary

daslicer
03-19-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm glad to play my part in creating a Parker thread. But I still don't know who is battle tested and will take Parkers salary. Mills is not a point guard. His defense is a gimmick. Love him, but I hope he never is more than our sixth man.

Point guards will never be able to defend both size and speed.That's why you run schemes and switch off bigger defenders. There is no magic competent defender point guard in the league who can also match Parkers production....let's set a low bar of 17pts a game. Find me this player. Tell me his salary

Agreed with pretty much what you said in the sense that PG's can't usually guard each other if both are quick and athletic. Gary Payton was the only great PG I have seen in my life that could score and shut down opposing PG's.

K...
03-19-2015, 05:10 PM
We will have to replace Parker soon. Possibly before the end of the contract. But I am not going to tank next season or blow my free agency $ on a pg when this team has several good options.

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Yet another thread of an All-Star who won't sign with the Spurs as a FA. People on ST like to set themselves up for being let down a lot, it seems.

maybe it's guilt for feeling so good about 5 fucking rings

TD 21
03-19-2015, 05:22 PM
This isn't news at all. It's just an assumption made by league executives that's obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Yeah. Gasol and Aldridge obviously aren't going anywhere, but by the .1% chance they did, I do think both would choose the Spurs.

The more realistic target, is Love. He's obviously unlikely too, but less so than the others, since he has no connection to the Cavs or the city and is clearly unhappy with his role. He's clearly been unhappy for a while and like Howard, might be at the point where that might trump all.

The Spurs would have a lot to offer, too. Take out Duncan and Ginobili and add him and they're not contenders, but they're still firmly in the second tier. Throw in that they're known for being first class in every way, that they'd still have a lot of playoff experience, plus a quality defensive center to protect him (the rare times he's both healthy and engaged) and the lack of a definitive pecking order between Parker, Leonard and him.

apalisoc_9
03-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Leonard-Splitter-Love-Green-Parker

is a contending Starting lineup IMO.

just gotta find a 6th man with Manu's departure.

TD 21
03-19-2015, 05:50 PM

I'd put them just below the Warriors, Thunder and Cavaliers. Not impossible that they could legitimately contend though and intriguing enough to sell him on them doing so.

With how pricey that starting lineup would be, they'd probably just re-sign Belinelli and Baynes to go with Diaw, Mills and Anderson, as the primary backups. That's obviously a terrible defensive lineup, but offensively, that's not bad. Also, with Love, Leonard and Green, all capable of playing significant minutes, the need for depth wouldn't be quite as pronounced as it's been in recent years.

With the significant spike in the cap coming, it's also not impossible to sign Love even if Duncan and Ginobili don't retire.

Dex
03-19-2015, 05:54 PM

Bingo. Can a rumor really be a rumor if it's the most obvious course of action?

"This just in! Spurs will browse the free agent market this offseason!"

The real question is...will Gasol really want to leave Memphis...and that may very well have a lot to do with their postseason run this year.

Silver&Black
03-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Spurs should go after Anthony Davis (hard ) whenever he is available.

robdiaz for Spurs General Manager 2016....

mi negro.

FkLA
03-19-2015, 08:11 PM

Love sucks. Just a glorified stretch four that can rebound tbh.

K...
03-19-2015, 08:20 PM
The best way to get Anthony Davis is to buy the team. Or the state.

RD2191
03-19-2015, 08:26 PM
robdiaz for Spurs General Manager 2016....

mi negro.
Mah nigga:toast

cantthinkofanything
03-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Love sucks. Just a glorified stretch four that can rebound tbh.I don't think Love sucks but I don't like him as a starter.

DJR210
03-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Stopped reading at Bleacher..

Sean Cagney
03-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Yeah. Gasol and Aldridge obviously aren't going anywhere, but by the .1% chance they did, I do think both would choose the Spurs.

The more realistic target, is Love. He's obviously unlikely too, but less so than the others, since he has no connection to the Cavs or the city and is clearly unhappy with his role. He's clearly been unhappy for a while and like Howard, might be at the point where that might trump all.

The Spurs would have a lot to offer, too. Take out Duncan and Ginobili and add him and they're not contenders, but they're still firmly in the second tier. Throw in that they're known for being first class in every way, that they'd still have a lot of playoff experience, plus a quality defensive center to protect him (the rare times he's both healthy and engaged) and the lack of a definitive pecking order between Parker, Leonard and him.
Why would they choose the Spurs if I may as you?????
Stopped reading at Bleacher..

Yep..

daslicer
03-19-2015, 10:56 PM
No chance in hell will the spurs ever get an all-star FA in his prime to sign here. The Spurs are going to have to rebuild in the future through the draft.

pgardn
03-19-2015, 11:03 PM
I would love to have a Gasol. I think he would fill Duncan's absence more completely.
But we don't land either, it's good to dream.

spurraider21
03-20-2015, 12:59 AM
bleacher report is essentially formal blogging

minuzzo21
03-20-2015, 05:24 AM
Anthony Davis is the next TD.. We have to try to get him, but I know this is impossible.

vander
03-20-2015, 07:02 AM
Why do people keep bringing up Anthony Davis? Does he have ties to SA? Has he expressed interest in SA?

Or is it just akin to 5 years ago saying "hey we should get LeBron"

cantthinkofanything
03-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Why do people keep bringing up Anthony Davis? Does he have ties to SA? Has he expressed interest in SA?

Or is it just akin to 5 years ago saying "hey we should get LeBron"

Every top free agent should have interest in SA.

But for Davis, even more so. A big man with a high BB IQ. They've taken Tim Duncan and along with smart drafting and trades, built around him and put the team in a position to contend almost every single year. They might not be in position to win instantly like Miami was when Lebron moved. But if Davis wants to put himself into a class organization and system that knows how to build around him then SA would be at the top of the list. And even better if TD is still around to help develop his game.

I guess the question Davis will have to ask himself is does he want to pick the best team at that point in time? Or does he want to put himself with an organization that will contend year after year. (of course this is assuming the same money being available between his choices).

TD 21
03-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Why would they choose the Spurs if I may as you?????

They wouldn't. Like I said, they'll both re-sign. I'm just saying, by the .1% chance they didn't, I feel confident they'd choose the Spurs (the same goes for Horford, who's up in a year). They're both Spurs material in every sense of the word and I know both have a high level of respect and admiration for the them. Specifically in Aldridge's case, he's quiet and doesn't seek the spotlight. Plus, he'd get to play close to home.

I don't feel nearly as confident Love would choose them, but he's by far the most likely of the three to change teams. Should that come to fruition, I feel confident they'd have a shot.

Sean Cagney
03-20-2015, 04:41 PM
They wouldn't. Like I said, they'll both re-sign. I'm just saying, by the .1% chance they didn't, I feel confident they'd choose the Spurs (the same goes for Horford, who's up in a year). They're both Spurs material in every sense of the word and I know both have a high level of respect and admiration for the them. Specifically in Aldridge's case, he's quiet and doesn't seek the spotlight. Plus, he'd get to play close to home.

I don't feel nearly as confident Love would choose them, but he's by far the most likely of the three to change teams. Should that come to fruition, I feel confident they'd have a shot.

I think they both would chose a team before the Spurs honestly, you would hear the old they are interested in SA as usual and so on but then they sign with a sexier pick or someone who offers a little more PT or this or that. You know how that usually goes. Some reason people just do not come to SA. They usually get theirs on the low or in the draft and do not draw big names. They can draw pieces that are key from time to time like Horry or Barry (Finley as well when he was up) and to a degree Boris later on, but thats their FA pickups.

I agree FULLY on LOVE! No way he goes to SA nor do I care about that, he seems the type to go to LA or something to be the so called man in a bigger city.

apalisoc_9
03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
If the spurs are planning on maxing Leonard, it only makes sense to go for these Bigs..Gasol, Aldridge, Love, Horford are all good fits with Leonard from an offensive standpoint. Gasol would be huge though as he would offer more on the defensive end..But Tony is getting older and Gasol isn't a willing scorer. Love and Aldridge are terrible defenders but they have offensive skillsets that would fit with the spurs and Leonard and Parker...

Horford is the smaller name and is a below average defender..But like Gasol he's an ultimate team player and requires less money.

Love is 26
Horford is 28
Aldriddge is 30
Gasol is 31 next year...

apalisoc_9
03-20-2015, 04:58 PM
IMO,

Love
Gasol
Aldridge
Horford

in order of priority.

Hoops Czar
03-20-2015, 06:50 PM
^ They won't be able to afford any of them. Think smaller. And no, the Spurs don't need Love.

Seventyniner
03-20-2015, 09:14 PM
IMO,

Love
Gasol
Aldridge
Horford

in order of priority.

For me it's Gasol, Aldridge, Horford, Love. And Love is a distant 4th. Not sure he'll ever get over himself.

wildchild
03-20-2015, 10:59 PM
And no, the Spurs don't need Love.

The Spurs will need an offensive bigman after Tim retires.

Gasol isn't that guy and he doesn't fit with Tiago, two C playing together? We'll need a PF who can score like Aldridge or Love, if they can't play D at least we still have Spliter in the paint.

K...
03-20-2015, 11:27 PM
If the spurs can get any of those big men you make the money to pay. Trade anyone but kawhi. Don't want to pair gasol with splitter? Trade splitter, his contract is good value and lots of teams will take him. Let Danny walk, etc.

The post Duncan spurs are going to have an identity crisis no matter who they get next year.hopefully it doesn't take all season to figure out.

ViceCity86
03-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Ideal replacement for Duncan,but not likely to happen.

Hoops Czar
03-21-2015, 12:15 AM
The Spurs will need a offensive bigman after Tim retires.

Gasol isn't that guy and he doesn't fit with Tiago, two C playing together? We'll need a PF who can score like Aldridge or Love, if they can't play D at least we still have Spliter in the paint.

There's a lot of "ifs" here but, If they sign Leonard to a max deal, sign green to 10-12M, and Duncan, Ginobili decide to come back for another season, they won't be able to afford another max player. Gasol and Aldridge are franchise players and I can't see them leaving their respective teams. Love could be had but unless he decides to sign on a cheap, below market value one-year deal and sign a max deal in 2016 when the cap is going to rise dramatically, the Spurs won't be able to afford him.