PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Countdown: The One Draft Class That Made Us Believe Again and Inspired Us To Achieve

Koolaid_Man
03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
It's always debatable but in the end facts are facts....let's count down to the #1 Class....starting with:

10.) 2001 - This draft will forever be remembered more for who never panned out, then for those who did. Kwame Brown was the number 1 pick and maybe the biggest bust in draft history (good call MJ), but the draft was still solid. The class so far has produced 5 all stars: Joe Johnson, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas and Mehmet Okur. The class also includes many of other solid players and possible future all stars: Tyson Chandler, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Richard Jefferson, Zach Randolph, and Gerald Wallace.

9.) 1998 - Just like the '01 draft this class is best know for its number one overall being a huge bust. I can’t really say that Michael Olowokandi being a bust was a complete shock, but the draft still had plenty of talent. The class had six all stars: Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Rashard Lewis, and Brad Miller. Other notables included Mike Bibby, Jason Williams, Larry Hughes, Bonzi Wells, Rickey Davis, Cuttino Mobley and Rafer Alston.

8.) 1993 - One of the most talented drafts ever full of people who never met their potential either because of injury or flat out lack of interest in the game. Chris Webber, the number one pick, had a great career but it always seemed like he could have done more. Penny Hardaway and Jamal Mashburn were stars who suffered injuries that prevented them from being superstars as was Allan Houston. Sam Cassell and Nick Van Exel were both all stars with solid careers. Vin Baker was an all star who ate his way out of the league, J.R. Rider just never seemed to care enough to maximize his talent, and Bobby Hurley never bounced back from his car accident.

7.) 1995 - Joe Smith, the number one pick overall, never lived up to his hype but the four picks after him sure did. Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse , Rasheed Wallace, and Kevin Garnett all went on to be all stars. Michael Finley also had a great career and Theo Ratliff was an all star and a great shot blocker. Other notables included Damon Stoudamire, Corliss Williamson, Kurt Thomas, Brent Barry, and Eric Snow.

6.) 1999 - In total the 99 class gave us 9 different all stars. The top 3 picks all were all stars: Elton Brand, Steve Francis, and Baron Davis, and the six others were Wally Szczerbiak (believe it or not), Rip Hamilton, Shawn Marion, Ron Artest, Andrei Kirilenko, and Manu Ginobili. Other notables included Lamar Odom, Andre Miller, Jason Terry, James Posey, Corey Maggette, and Raja Bell.

5.) 1987 - The 87 class gave us two players named to the NBA 50 greatest players list: David Robinson and Scottie Pippen. Also in the draft was future Hall of Famer Reggie Miller. The class had four other all stars in Mark Jackson, Reggie Lewis, Horace Grant, Kevin Johnson. Other notables included Kenny Smith, Derrick McKey, and Mugsy Bogues.

4.) 1985 - The very first year the NBA used the lottery system and the draft class has already given us two Hall of Famers in Patrick Ewing and Joe Dumars. Karl Malone will soon join them and Chris Mullin more than likely will as well. Other all stars in that rookie class were Xavier Mcdaniel, Detlef Schrempf, Charles Oakley, A.C. Green, Michael Adams and Terry Porter. Spud Webb, Mario Elie, and Arvydas Sabonis should also be acknowledged.

3.) 2003 - Its only been five years and this young draft class has already given us six different all stars. LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwayne Wade give this draft a chance to be one of the greatest drafts of all time when it's all said and done. Though the draft is most know for its big three, Josh Howard, Chris Bosh, and David West have all become stars with very bright futures. Other notables include Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, T.J. Ford, Boris Diaw, and Leandro Barbosa.

2.) 1984 - Many call it the best draft ever. Not only did this draft supply the best player ever in Michael Jordan, it also gave us 3 other Hall of Famers in Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, and John Stockton. One could even argue that’s the best point guard, best shooting guard, best power forward, and best center of all time all in one draft. The draft also had several other players who had solid careers such as Sam Perkins, Alvin Robertson, Otis Thorpe, and Kevin Willis

(side note Alvin Robertson played for the Spurs and was recently convicted of running a child pedo ring.)

and drumroll please::lol

1.) 1996 - Although the 96 class doesn’t have the same Hall Fame greatness as the 84 class it more than makes up for it in depth. This class doesn’t have Jordan but it has the next best thing in Kobe Bryant. It might not have Stockton, but Steve Nash, a two time league MVP, isn’t too far behind. With two future Hall of Famers in Allen Iverson and Ray Allen, this class can hold its own with the 84 class. What sets it apart is the 7 other all stars also in that rookie class: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Stephon Marbury, Antoine Walker, Peja Stojakovic, Jermaine O’Neal, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Ben Wallace (undrafted). And to think ... that list of players doesn’t even include 2006 Defensive Player of the Year, Marcus Camby who also came out that year.

Koolaid_Man
03-19-2015, 08:06 PM
0v2aJdD_L3M

Silver&Black
03-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Who made this list? Link?

apalisoc_9
03-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Good thread, imo

Killakobe81
03-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Kobe NAsh Allen AI is impressive but gotta lean 1984 ...

More rings from that class.

100%duncan
03-20-2015, 08:04 AM
How can someone top that '84 draft? :lol

Koolaid_Man
03-20-2015, 08:25 AM
How can someone top that '84 draft? :lol

I can make the case if we formed teams with those players...:

1984 - (team 1) Starting line up:

MJ- SG
Barkley- PF
Hakeem - Center
Stockton - PG
Alvin Robertson - SF (side note Alvin Robertson played for the Spurs and was recently convicted of running a child pedo ring.) :hat

Team 1 Reserves: Sam Perkins, Otis Thorpe, and Kevin Willis

1996 - (Team 2) Starting line-up:

Kobe Bryant - SG
Steve Nash - PG
Ray Allen - SF
Ben Wallace - PF
Jermaine Oneal - Center

Team 2 reserves: Allen Iverson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Stephon Marbury, Antoine Walker, Peja Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Marcus Camby

Team 2 wins the Small Forward and Point Guard spots....

Allen > Robertson
Nash > Stockton

Team 1 wins the Center and PF spots:

Barkeley > Wallace
Hakeem > Oneal

Kobe and MJ cancel each other (with a very slight edge going to MJ)

which leaves us the reserves to debate with the 96 Class being loaded at every position....with the exception of Big Z who is just ok at the center spot...

96 wins out based on my logic....because there's no one on team 1 that could stop a prime Ray Allen from draining 3's on their heads all day :lol and then once Nash got through abusing Stockton...I could bring in Allen Iverson and / or Marbury to finish them off....and don't let me put Peja and Ray Allen on the floor together....MJ would get shot out of the building....:lol 96 class wins resoundingly on the strength of the reserves which 95% of them are all-stars and starters

xellos88330
03-20-2015, 12:25 PM
I can make the case if we formed teams with those players...:

1984 - (team 1) Starting line up:

MJ- SG
Barkley- PF
Hakeem - Center
Stockton - PG
Alvin Robertson - SF (side note Alvin Robertson played for the Spurs and was recently convicted of running a child pedo ring.)

Team 1 Reserves: Sam Perkins, Otis Thorpe, and Kevin Willis

1996 - (Team 2) Starting line-up:

Kobe Bryant - SG
Steve Nash - PG
Ray Allen - SF
Ben Wallace - PF
Jermaine Oneal - Center

Team 2 reserves: Allen Iverson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Stephon Marbury, Antoine Walker, Peja Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Marcus Camby

Team 2 wins the Small Forward and Point Guard spots....

Allen > Robertson
Nash > Stockton

Team 1 wins the Center and PF spots:

Barkeley > Wallace
Hakeem > Oneal

Kobe and MJ cancel each other (with a very slight edge going to MJ)

which leaves us the reserves to debate with the 96 Class being loaded at every position....with the exception of Big Z who is just ok at the center spot...

96 wins out based on my logic....because there's no one on team 1 that could stop a prime Ray Allen from draining 3's on their heads all day and then once Nash got through abusing Stockton...I could bring in Allen Iverson and / or Marbury to finish them off....and don't let me put Peja and Ray Allen on the floor together....MJ would get shot out of the building.... 96 class wins resoundingly on the strength of the reserves which 95% of them are all-stars and starters

Last I checked, Ray Allen was a 2 not a 3. You would have to put Shareef in there.

I don't think that Nash is better than Stockton. He was a much better defender than Steve Nash was/is. I don't think that Nash would be able to keep up with Stockton offensively either.

Hakeem would completely crush Jermaine O'neal or Wallace.

I see it like this.

Stockton > Nash
MJ > Kobe
Robertson = Rahim
Barkley > Wallace (Who was actually a center)
Olajuwon > O'neal

The control of the glass is absolutely critical in this matchup and the '84 class has loads of it.

Koolaid_Man
03-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Last I checked, Ray Allen was a 2 not a 3. You would have to put Shareef in there.

I don't think that Nash is better than Stockton. He was a much better defender than Steve Nash was/is. I don't think that Nash would be able to keep up with Stockton offensively either.

Hakeem would completely crush Jermaine O'neal or Wallace.

I see it like this.

Stockton > Nash
MJ > Kobe
Robertson = Rahim
Barkley > Wallace (Who was actually a center)
Olajuwon > O'neal

The control of the glass is absolutely critical in this matchup and the '84 class has loads of it.

Stop smoking meth laced crack ok....

Stockton couldn't hold Nash's jock if it was 30 feet long.... Stockton was a pick and roll guy..it's all he did and knew how to do...Nash would have eaten him alive....Stockton had no ability to break people down off the dribble like Nash....Nash did it routinely all day every day....Nash ran pick n roll, 1 on 1 on ball break down of defender (which Stockton was incapable of without a fucking pick from Malone)....and Nash was much more efficient in getting easy baskets...you're a crackhead if you think Stockton was even close to Nash...

I conceded the PF and C spots so what the fuck are you talking about.....MJ and Kobe cancel...MJ never had to share the ball...let alone with a player like Shaq...so it would be more challenging for him than anyone else....Kobe had better range and would have shot MJ out the gym...Ray Allen and Kobe can both play the SF position...so they're interchangeable....the 96 classes strength was their depth....no way 84 could keep up with them....not with Ray and Peja..too much fire power...and then Iverson and Marbury...get the fuck outta here man...it's game over.....not even MJ and Barkley could withstand that.....

DisAsTerBot
03-20-2015, 01:55 PM
this article was better when i read it in 2008

Raven
03-20-2015, 01:55 PM
ben wallace pf shows all your dumbness tbh :lol

Raven
03-20-2015, 01:57 PM
this article was better when i read it in 2008

yup.. right now nash's and kobe's legacies have been utterly destroyed, and some other players have suffered major hits

Killakobe81
03-20-2015, 02:51 PM
yup.. right now nash's and kobe's legacies have been utterly destroyed, and some other players have suffered major hits

Exaggerate much? Leaving Kobe out of it ... how has Nash "utterly destroyed" his legacy? Because he is cashing checks? Other great players haven't won rings. Plenty finished their careers injury prone, Shaq just did.

That just doesn't make any sense ...

Koolaid_Man
03-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Hey nappy headed bitch..stanky ass hoe...go comb your hair and stfu

Raven
03-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Exaggerate much? Leaving Kobe out of it ... how has Nash "utterly destroyed" his legacy? Because he is cashing checks? Other great players haven't won rings. Plenty finished their careers injury prone, Shaq just did.

That just doesn't make any sense ...

he couldn't get to the finals once in his career and has been part of the biggest shame in basketball history

Killakobe81
03-20-2015, 04:19 PM
he couldn't get to the finals once in his career and has been part of the biggest shame in basketball history

Are you serious? that is soap opera talk ...dont be so dramatic. Nash lost repeatedly to the Spurs where is the shame in that? Unless you believe that was an upset.

GuerillaBlack
03-20-2015, 04:20 PM
That 2009 Draft has potential.

Galileo
03-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Even if you grant that MJ and Kobe cancel each pother out, Hakeem who was every bit as good as MJ makes the '84 team better. Then add in Barkley.

ambchang
03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
There isn't a single player in the 96 draft who is as good as either jordan or Hakeem.

Then Barkley and Stockton is as good as anyone in the 96 draft. Then there's oscar Schmidt who is one of the greatest International player of all time. Plus Thorpe Perkins and all and it's not even close.

Silver&Black
03-20-2015, 05:59 PM
84 Draft >>>>>>> 96 Draft

:lmao MJ and Kirby cancel each other out

spurraider21
03-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Who made this list? Link?
http://www.playersvoice.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1

Koolaid_Man
03-20-2015, 07:36 PM
You clowns are clueless...96 wins...Barkley wouldnt be able to bully and intimidate Big Ben..which was a huge part of his game..Ben would have kicked that ass..tbh....too much fire power in 96..Nash would have ran circles around 84 with his dribble penetration....kick out to Allen or Peja which was Automatic..and you better not have Kobe on the wing..MJ would foul out...

Koolaid_Man
03-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Allen Iverson and Marbury off the bench its game over....and Donr forget Marcus camby for defense...

Brazil
03-20-2015, 07:55 PM
http://www.playersvoice.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1

:lol

Brazil
03-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Oh and :lmao at idea that 96>84

Galileo
03-20-2015, 09:38 PM
For his whole career, Stockton > Nash.