PDA

View Full Version : JJ Redick on Sirius NBA Radio

look_at_g_shred
03-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Was asked who was the toughest at guarding him...he said none other than the two guys on the Spurs. Danny and Kawhi. He said Damny doesn't get enough credit as a defender. Also said he thinks Kawhi is the best perimeter defender in the league. It's no news to us, but it's cool to see that kind of recognition from other players around the league especially a shooter like Redick.

Clipper Nation
03-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Redick recruiting Kawhi to LA :downspin:

apalisoc_9
03-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Redick recruiting Kawhi to LA :downspin:

SpurPadre
03-20-2015, 01:34 PM
https://blackprinceintoil.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/kevin_durant.jpg "You trippin' bro. Kawhi sucks"

BillMc
03-20-2015, 01:46 PM
https://blackprinceintoil.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/kevin_durant.jpg "You trippin' bro. Kawhi sucks"

KD will be 'tripping' a lot these days too with his bad foot.

SpurPadre
03-20-2015, 02:13 PM
KD will be 'tripping' a lot these days too with his bad foot.

karma. For years, he's fooled people into thinking he's a classy dude but we know very well what a big piece of shit he really is.

KL2
03-20-2015, 02:22 PM
I don't ever want to lose this combo, just a devastating 1-2 punch for any team in the NBA, they're just gonna keep getting better, makes it sooo easy to build your defense around.

spurraider21
03-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Wing Stop

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Most underrated duo in the league.

:lol Hype Bros

Malik Hairston
03-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Spurs been getting a lot of love in the media lately, tbh..

Baron Davis was on Bill Simmons' podcast the other day and said Tim is one of the 5 greatest of all-time..

AFBlue
03-20-2015, 02:41 PM
I don't ever want to lose this combo, just a devastating 1-2 punch for any team in the NBA, they're just gonna keep getting better, makes it sooo easy to build your defense around.

Be prepared for disappointment this summer. I could be surprised like I was with the below-market deal for Patty last year, but I think Danny is gonna get seriously PAID by someone else...maybe the Knicks.

weebo
03-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Be prepared for disappointment this summer. I could be surprised like I was with the below-market deal for Patty last year, but I think Danny is gonna get seriously PAID by someone else...maybe the Knicks.

If he's offered some serious change, he should take it. However, don't expect him to have the kind of success he's having here unless he ends up on a team like the Hawks.

NASpurs
03-20-2015, 03:01 PM
:lol @ the thought of Belinelli taking Danny's starting spot next year if DG bolts

baseline bum
03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
:lol @ the thought of Belinelli taking Danny's starting spot next year if DG bolts

What about Diaw taking Duncan's? :depressed

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Honestly it will be hard to root for a team with an Enrique/Scrubeli backcourt.

Malik Hairston
03-20-2015, 03:07 PM
If he's offered some serious change, he should take it. However, don't expect him to have the kind of success he's having here unless he ends up on a team like the Hawks.

Or the other 20 teams in the NBA that can create shots for role players:lol

baseline bum
03-20-2015, 03:08 PM

Yeah, Green has earned a serious payday for sure. I'm hoping the Spurs will be able to keep him at about $8 or $9 million a year, but that may be too optimistic. Crazy that he's only making $4 million this year. Still, I have heard him say he really doesn't want to leave since this is the place he has found success.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 03:08 PM

Again with this shitty take. Stop overrating Pop's system, tbh.

baseline bum
03-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Pop's shitty system that won a title without a top 15 player?

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Pop's shitty system that won a title without a top 15 player?

I'm not saying his system is overrated or sucks. Just the myth that he turns scrubs into rotation players. Mostly, when it comes to Danny.

K...
03-20-2015, 03:27 PM

Uh this is one of those things that's both true and untrue. Very few teams can generate the open shots that the spurs did fit the past two years; this includes the current spurs too.

That doesn't mean he won't be good....it just means there is slight downside risk in moving teams.

But success for an nba guy is getting paid and getting played. If green has as many minutes, and retains his title as elite defender he absolutely should go for max money.

I say spurs sign him, and then look to trade if this team sees a major drop off next year. At some point we will tank. But I think we give the kawhi green splitter Parker team a limited chance to maintain the playoff streak.

Now there is nothing worse than being a perennial first round exit. Danny won't help us if we're stuck in non lottery limbo. Hence, keeping him tradable to a contender who can spare picks and young Talent

dabom
03-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Uh this is one of those things that's both true and untrue. Very few teams can generate the open shots that the spurs did fit the past two years; this includes the current spurs too.

That doesn't mean he won't be good....it just means there is slight downside risk in moving teams.

But success for an nba guy is getting paid and getting played. If green has as many minutes, and retains his title as elite defender he absolutely should go for max money.

I say spurs sign him, and then look to trade if this team sees a major drop off next year. At some point we will tank. But I think we give the kawhi green splitter Parker team a limited chance to maintain the playoff streak.

Now there is nothing worse than being a perennial first round exit. Danny won't help us if we're stuck in non lottery limbo. Hence, keeping him tradable to a contender who can spare picks and young Talent

You really are a shitty poster. :lmao

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 03:38 PM

I see your point. Again, I'm not trying to downplay Pop's system at all. I just think Danny deserves more credit. I honestly think he would do fine on most playoff teams. He cant dribble or create much, but he wouldn't have to anyways. He's the perfect 3 and D guy.

Brazil
03-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Baron Davis was on Bill Simmons' podcast the other day and said Tim is one of the 5 greatest of all-time..

He is right tbh

weebo
03-20-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm not saying his system is overrated or sucks. Just the myth that he turns scrubs into rotation players. Mostly, when it comes to Danny.

Turned a scrub like Gary Neal into a rotation player while here. :lol ....Seriously, I don't understand why Pop doesn't get the credit he deserves here when his motion offense has taken marginal players like Neal and Green and turned them into viable NBA players. People forget that Green bounced around the league because he wasn't very good. Let's not make Green and make him Ray Allen :lol....he was smart enough to learn how to dance within the flow of the offense and used his one offensive skill and learned to shoot.... do you think he would seriously be as effective as he is here if he played for the magic? :lol

CitizenDwayne
03-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Kind words, but it's kinda hard to place a great deal of value on the thoughts of JJ Redick and Baron Davis.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Turned a scrub like Gary Neal into a rotation player while here. :lol ....Seriously, I don't understand why Pop doesn't get the credit he deserves here when his motion offense has taken marginal players like Neal and Green and turned them into viable NBA players. People forget that Green bounced around the league because he wasn't very good. Let's not make Green and make him Ray Allen :lol....he was smart enough to learn how to dance within the flow of the offense and used his one offensive skill and learned to shoot.... do you think he would seriously be as effective as he is here if he played for the magic? :lol

You're completely leaving out how important Danny is on the defensive end. And :lol comparing Danny to Neal. So much fail in ths post.

dabom
03-20-2015, 05:19 PM
You can't teach defense.

Fireball
03-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Wing Stop

I lost a little faith in our wing stoppers after Kyrie/Bron scored 87 against them ... but I guess on some days a great offense goes through any defense like a hot knife through butter. I want more consistency from Kawhi after watching him get beaten off the dribble by Shved again and again. And I would love Pop not pulling Danny out of the game early because he committed just one foul.

Robz4000
03-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I lost a little faith in our wing stoppers after Kyrie/Bron scored 87 against them ... but I guess on some days a great offense goes through any defense like a hot knife through butter. I want more consistency from Kawhi after watching him get beaten off the dribble by Shved again and again. And I would love Pop not pulling Danny out of the game early because he committed just one foul.

Leonard played great D on Lebron for the most part, and Pop didn't put Green on Irving until he was already going nuclear. Can't blame their performance on Leonard and Green.

FkLA
03-20-2015, 05:49 PM

:lol Bro Irving scored like 40-45 of his points on Enrique. His few misses came against Danny and Kawhi. Anyways, no way is Danny a max player...he's more like an Ariza. Pay him similarly and he'll stick around just not sure if Pop is willing to since he constantly underrates him.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 05:53 PM
:lol Bro Irving scored like 40-45 of his points on Enrique. His few misses came against Danny and Kawhi. Anyways, no way is Danny a max player...he's more like an Ariza. Pay him similarly and he'll stick around just not sure if Pop is willing to since he constantly underrates him.

Well Pop constantly underrated Splitter but paid him a contract that a lot of people thought was overpriced. :lol. I'm confident that the Spurs want Danny back. I'm just worried about what other teams can offer.

FkLA
03-20-2015, 06:10 PM
That's true actually, he did treat the golden god like shit. Hopefully he handles Danny's contract negotiations the same way. :tu

Malik Hairston
03-20-2015, 06:35 PM

The Spurs had terrible wing players from 2008 until 2012 until Green and Leonard joined the team..why didn't Pop magically turn one of those dozens of wing players into a great role player?

And there are plenty of players that have left the Spurs and remained effective/improve, tbh:lol..the only notable Spurs that left and became irrelevant were Dejuan Blair and Gary Neal, and that's because the latter chose to join arguably the worst offensive team in the NBA(and really, Neal was atrocious in his last year with the Spurs, outside of 2 games in the Finals)..

The Spurs have actually been pretty shitty at creating open shots for their role players this year, with all the injuries, yet Green was having a career year before Parker and Leonard returned, actually..

apalisoc_9
03-20-2015, 07:09 PM
The Spurs had terrible wing players from 2008 until 2012 until Green and Leonard joined the team..why didn't Pop magically turn one of those dozens of wing players into a great role player?

And there are plenty of players that have left the Spurs and remained effective/improve, tbh:lol..the only notable Spurs that left and became irrelevant were Dejuan Blair and Gary Neal, and that's because the latter chose to join arguably the worst offensive team in the NBA(and really, Neal was atrocious in his last year with the Spurs, outside of 2 games in the Finals)..

The Spurs have actually been pretty shitty at creating open shots for their role players this year, with all the injuries, yet Green was having a career year before Parker and Leonard returned, actually..

but but system..:lol

such a mainstream take...

its the system :cry

Malik Hairston
03-20-2015, 07:14 PM
but but system..:lol

such a mainstream take...

its the system :cry

Of course the system helps, but role players getting better looks by playing with better players has been the case for as long as basketball has existed, it's not strictly a Spurs thing:lol..

apalisoc_9
03-20-2015, 07:16 PM
no.. it's the spurs system...:lol

no other system can make danny green a defensive beast..

Sean Cagney
03-20-2015, 07:17 PM
karma. For years, he's fooled people into thinking he's a classy dude but we know very well what a big piece of shit he really is.

^^^^^^^^^

Mugen
03-20-2015, 07:29 PM
:lol Anybody who thinks that Danny is easily replaceable wasn't around for the Dark Ages when the Spurs when through a revolving shit door of starting wings. I thank god every day i don't have to watch the Centerpiece, Mason Jr., RJ, and the corpse of Michael Finley starting for San Antonio tbh.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Yep if Pop's system was that good, the shitty perimeter players from 2008-2011 would have performed like Green and Leonard. The truth is they were legit scrubs and stayed that way. You can't even say the same about Danny who is an elite 2 way player. Pop didn't teach that tbh

BatManu20
03-20-2015, 07:49 PM
JJ knows

AFBlue
03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Yep if Pop's system was that good, the shitty perimeter players from 2008-2011 would have performed like Green and Leonard. The truth is they were legit scrubs and stayed that way. You can't even say the same about Danny who is an elite 2 way player. Pop didn't teach that tbh

Slow your roll with the hyperbole bro. Kawhi is the only arguably "elite" two-way player on this team, Duncan not withstanding. I like Danny, but his defense only flashes elite and his lack of ball-handling will prevent him from being close to elite offensively. not taking anything away from his contributions, which have been huge for the Spurs. Just saying, he's no Kawhi.

SpurPadre
03-20-2015, 08:13 PM
:lol Anybody who thinks that Danny is easily replaceable wasn't around for the Dark Ages when the Spurs when through a revolving shit door of starting wings. I thank god every day i don't have to watch the Centerpiece, Mason Jr., RJ, and the corpse of Michael Finley starting for San Antonio tbh.

You mention Finley but we won a Title with him and should've won another one if it weren't for the dumbest foul committed in NBA history.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Slow your roll with the hyperbole bro. Kawhi is the only arguably "elite" two-way player on this team, Duncan not withstanding. I like Danny, but his defense only flashes elite and his lack of ball-handling will prevent him from being close to elite offensively. not taking anything away from his contributions, which have been huge for the Spurs. Just saying, he's no Kawhi.

I think he's an elite 3 point shooter and his defense, while flawed, is still very good. Though Kawhi is on a different level this year. I'm not trying to say Danny is a max level player or franchise player. But he would fit perfectly on many teams and would make them better. Definitely not a product of the system like weebo has said.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
You mention Finley but we won a Title with him and should've won another one if it weren't for the dumbest foul committed in NBA history.

Post 2008 Finley was a frustrating player to watch. I know you hated Bonner, but Finley was just as ugly.

SpurPadre
03-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Post 2008 Finley was a frustrating player to watch. I know you hated Bonner, but Finley was just as ugly.

Nobody is Bonner bad except for Ayres, tbh. And Finley wasn't a bust like he who shall not be named; we just got him when he was past his prime.

Mugen
03-20-2015, 08:23 PM

I mentioned the corpse of Michael Finley which is wholly different than the 06 and 07 versions tbh.

timtonymanu
03-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Nobody is Bonner bad except for Ayres, tbh. And Finley wasn't a bust like he who shall not be named; we just got him when he was past his prime.

You must have forgotten the obsession Pop had with Finley when it was obvious he was done. :lol

Finley wasn't RJ-bad for sure, but his presence killed the Spurs during those years. I was so happy when he was waived.

Seventyniner
03-20-2015, 09:13 PM
I still nominate 2001 Danny Ferry as the worst starting wing (SF lol) in the Duncan era.

Old School 44
03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
I love Danny Green. I believe he had the physical tools, but playing in this system helped develop his game. Not saying he couldn't have developed his 3-pt shooting and D somewhere else, but do you think he would have? Do you think he'd be at the level he is now if he didn't play with the Spurs? When he started his career playing in Cleveland, the players there, led by a young LeBron, were just running over Mike Brown. I wonder how his game would have developed if he continued in that type of environment.

It's the discipline you gain playing with elite, high IQ players like Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and the most established and respected coach in the league. I like what Tim said in an interview. He mentioned hearing from former Spurs and how much they missed what they had while playing here. In the recent Stephen Jackson interview, isn't it telling that even Jack, after all the disagreements with Pop, and even after being cut, can't say a bad thing about the Pop and the Spurs?

wildchild
03-20-2015, 11:24 PM

:shootme

#2!
03-20-2015, 11:47 PM

When things really got out of hand is when the Spurs started switching everything in the 4th quarter. I mean EVERYTHING; lazy screens, and dribble handoffs that would normally be avoided easily were for some reason switched. Idk why, b/c Lebron was being played so well by Leonard, and then it was DG and Diaw switching onto him every play. Hopefully just an in-season experiment, and not the game plan going forward.

JohnnyMax
03-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Enrique/Scrubeli backcourt.

http://i.imgur.com/ZCYmY73.png

DMC
03-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Irving didn't go nuclear because he wasn't guarded correctly. He was guarded just fine, and if we can keep him taking those shots we'll live with the results. He was unconscious from everywhere, you could have blindfolded the guy and he wouldn't have missed. There are those times.... nothing you can do.

weebo
03-21-2015, 10:36 AM
I love Danny Green. I believe he had the physical tools, but playing in this system helped develop his game. Not saying he couldn't have developed his 3-pt shooting and D somewhere else, but do you think he would have? Do you think he'd be at the level he is now if he didn't play with the Spurs? When he started his career playing in Cleveland, the players there, led by a young LeBron, were just running over Mike Brown. I wonder how his game would have developed if he continued in that type of environment.

It's the discipline you gain playing with elite, high IQ players like Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and the most established and respected coach in the league. I like what Tim said in an interview. He mentioned hearing from former Spurs and how much they missed what they had while playing here. In the recent Stephen Jackson interview, isn't it telling that even Jack, after all the disagreements with Pop, and even after being cut, can't say a bad thing about the Pop and the Spurs?

Solid take. Nice to know someone else around here knows his basketball. :bobo

Malik Hairston
03-21-2015, 12:07 PM

I agree with all of this, of course Green has benefited greatly from learning and developing in the best system in the NBA, with the best coach of all-time and a top 5 player of all-time, tbh..

My point is simply that Green's skills(shooting and playing defense) would translate to any good team in the NBA, we have seen it for ages in the NBA..the Spurs aren't the only team in the league that can create shots for role players, especially this year, where they had struggled to create shots for role players until this recent resurgence(Green was having a career year as the 3rd scoring option behind Manu and Duncan earlier in the year)..

I don't really understand the Neal comparisons, too..by any analytics you can use, Green is an elite perimeter defender..he's overshadowed by Kawhi, since KL is the best in the NBA(as Sean Elliott recently said), but he's nothing like Gary Neal, who was a massive defensive liability here(and is nowhere near the rebounder Green is, nor the team player)..

Their only similarity is their spot-up shooting..outside of that, by any measure you use, they aren't comparable..

AFBlue
03-21-2015, 12:13 PM
I think he's an elite 3 point shooter and his defense, while flawed, is still very good. Though Kawhi is on a different level this year. I'm not trying to say Danny is a max level player or franchise player. But he would fit perfectly on many teams and would make them better. Definitely not a product of the system like weebo has said.

That I can agree with. Definitely think as much as he's grown here that he'll have an impact somewhere else if he chooses to leave.

exstatic
03-21-2015, 12:20 PM
I can't see any team offering him his MAX, which would be higher than Kawhi's since he's been in the league longer. I also can't see the Spurs not stepping up to almost any offer. It's not like OTHER FAs are knocking down our door. We usually end up spending on our own players.

weebo
03-21-2015, 12:40 PM
I agree with all of this, of course Green has benefited greatly from learning and developing in the best system in the NBA, with the best coach of all-time and a top 5 player of all-time, tbh..

My point is simply that Green's skills(shooting and playing defense) would translate to any good team in the NBA, we have seen it for ages in the NBA..the Spurs aren't the only team in the league that can create shots for role players, especially this year, where they had struggled to create shots for role players until this recent resurgence(Green was having a career year as the 3rd scoring option behind Manu and Duncan earlier in the year)..

I don't really understand the Neal comparisons, too..by any analytics you can use, Green is an elite perimeter defender..he's overshadowed by Kawhi, since KL is the best in the NBA(as Sean Elliott recently said), but he's nothing like Gary Neal, who was a massive defensive liability here(and is nowhere near the rebounder Green is, nor the team player)..

Their only similarity is their spot-up shooting..outside of that, by any measure you use, they aren't comparable..

DG can only expect the kind of success he has with the Spurs only playing for a team like the Hawks, Warriors, etc (as I said this much on my OP)... In other words, teams willing to play a scheme where sharing the ball is of importance, yet so many here want to make DG comparable to KL. DG is a nice player and the success he's had has a lot to do with who he plays with and the scheme they all play for...that is why I said if he got offered a great deal he should take it because the Spurs aren't going to pay him much more than what he is already making...

Malik Hairston
03-21-2015, 02:05 PM
DG can only expect the kind of success he has with the Spurs only playing for a team like the Hawks, Warriors, etc (as I said this much on my OP)... In other words, teams willing to play a scheme where sharing the ball is of importance, yet so many here want to make DG comparable to KL. DG is a nice player and the success he's had has a lot to do with who he plays with and the scheme they all play for...that is why I said if he got offered a great deal he should take it because the Spurs aren't going to pay him much more than what he is already making...

Nobody is comparing him to Kawhi, one of the 10 best players in the NBA(15 at worst)..

There aren't many 3&D role players ahead of him, though(only Wes Matthews is better, off the top of my head, and he's never going to be the same player again), and that's a valued commodity in the NBA..I agree with your point if you put Green on a bad team where he's asked to create for himself, but this is the NBA, 3&D players have always had a place on great teams, especially in today's league with the progressive death of ISO-ball..

look_at_g_shred
04-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Bump

LoneStarState'sPride
04-24-2015, 11:38 PM
JJ knows what his kryptonite is: WingStop