PDA

View Full Version : Tom Benson Thinking of Moving Saints to San Antonio Permanently

Pages : [1] 2

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Saints to move?
By Robert Travis Scott
Capital bureau

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson is leaning strongly toward moving the Saints permanently to San Antonio following the devastation to the city and the Superdome by Hurricane Katrina, a state senator who has spoken with a top team official said Saturday.

Sen. Mike Michot, R-Lafayette, said he spoke with Saints’ chief of administration Arnold Fielkow by phone Friday morning about Benson’s potential plans.

Team officials could not be reached Saturday. The team had previously announced it was looking for a new home for the current season, and San Antonio was one of the options.

Michot said he was told that Benson has not made a final decision, but the owner is serious about moving once and for all to San Antonio. “We may lose them permanently,” Michot said.

A possible move by the team is a “huge concern” among a few state officials who have become aware of it, but every significant political figure in the state is preoccupied with reacting to the storm aftermath.

State officials want to convince Benson to delay a decision so that the state can focus on the rescue and rehabilitation effort and later find a way to keep the Saints at home in New Orleans.

“This is like pouring salt into the wound,” Michot said.

Michot said decency dictates that Benson should postpone any decision on a permanent move until state officials have had a chance to talk with him.
“Give us time,” Michot said.

Another state official confirmed a similar conversation with Fielkow.

Michot is the vice-chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, a key committee for legislation related to state agreement with the Saints.

He said that in the long run the Saints might be better off staying in New Orleans because a revived city with national support could provide a better stadium.

LINK (http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09.html#076625)

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I have mixed feelings about this.

:oops

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 08:41 PM
No way they step into that PR nightmare, no way.

He said that in the long run the Saints might be better off staying in New Orleans because a revived city with national support could provide a better stadium.

I think the city has much bigger problems than providing a "better" stadium for the Saints (read, a shitload of $$$$).

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 08:42 PM
No way they step into that PR nightmare, no way..

I honestly don't think Benson cares about PR. The guy is a business man, not some publicist.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 08:50 PM
If the NFL wants good PR, all they'd have to do is spin it as a need to relocate the team to SA. And that once New Orleans has everything in place in the future, they'll give them a new team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I honestly don't think Benson cares about PR. The guy is a business man, not some publicist

IF you don't think teams do what the NFL wants them to do, you're kidding yourself.

It's not like the Saints are only going to be here for 7 games. It's going to take a couple of years to rebuild that city to any reasonable level.

You need to pull your head out and wake up to the realities of the situation. If the Dome isn't ready next year for the Saints, they will be playing ball in Baton Rouge (closer to their fan base), as part of the healing process.

I know you have a hard on for the NFL, but if you want to a see a team in SA it won't be the Saints. It'll be us wowing the NFL when we have the Saints, then ponying up probably $100 million (at least) in renovations to the Alamodome, then we'll get an expansion team.

After all the rebuilding that is about to take place, there is no way that the NFL will make that city suffer through an "expansion team" growing its wings, no way.

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 08:58 PM
If Benson wants to move the team here, he will. Face reality. The MAN owns the team. He makes the decisions. That's why he's the owner.

If Benson said he's moving the team and wants the Dome updated, you best believe construction would start in March.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-04-2005, 09:04 PM
:lol Whatever you say Buddy Holly.

You do realize that all moves of teams have to be approved by a majority vote of owners in the league, right?

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:05 PM
1) We have his crap ass auto dealerships
2) Alamo Stadium needs a minimum of 7,500 fans to open all seats
3) We already have the "Silver Stars" to suck the life from us (figuratively guys, not literally...) with no return
4) Joe Horn would have to change Cell Phone Companies
5) There is not enough booze in SA (like there is...uh, was...in NO) to make us like a team of that caliber.

Just to state a few reasons WHY NOT...

TheWriter
09-04-2005, 09:14 PM

You do realize that all moves of teams have to be approved by a majority vote of owners in the league, right?

Exactly, owners, not the NFL. O-W-N-E-R-S

bry3
09-04-2005, 09:28 PM
1)
4) Joe Horn would have to change Cell Phone Companies

Just to state a few reasons WHY NOT...

:lol :lol :lol :lol

T Park
09-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I doubt it happens.

If it does, Im first in line for season tickets.

Kori Ellis
09-04-2005, 09:36 PM
I doubt it happens.

If it does, Im first in line for season tickets.

Ditto.

exstatic
09-04-2005, 09:39 PM

No they don't.

Sincerely,
Al Davis, Robert Irsay, Art Modell

That being said, I think this article is BS. If he were seriously thinking along these lines, he'd have committed this year's schedule to SA already. So far, we haven't even gotten one game.

hussker
09-04-2005, 09:47 PM
No they don't.

Sincerely,
Al Davis, Robert Irsay, Art Modell

That being said, I think this article is BS. If he were seriously thinking along these lines, he'd have committed this year's schedule to SA already. So far, we haven't even gotten one game.

1) HAHA!
2) Now the moves HAVE to be approved
3) We will get NO (that is ZERO, not New Orleans) games. They know they will lose $$ if they do that.

Mr. Body
09-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Los Angeles is in line for a franchise first.

goliath
09-04-2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.wdsu.com/sports/4934334/detail.html

Saints To Play In San Antonio: No Refunds

POSTED: September 4, 2005

Email This Story | Print This Story

The New Orleans Saints will play all home games and San Antonio and will not refund ticket holders, according to a high-ranking official with the team who contacted a WDSU sports reporter. An official announcement is expected in the next day or two.

exstatic
09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
2) Now the moves HAVE to be approved

Technically, yes, but since NO owner wants to have his move disapproved, they rubber stamp the moves, so it's a fangless rule. There has NEVER been a move stopped. In the twenty years or so of the franchise free agency era, the following teams have moved:

Colts to Indy
Cards to Arizona
Raiders to LA, and back to Oakland
Rams to StL
Oilers to Tennesee
Browns to Baltimore as Ravens

Horry For 3!
09-04-2005, 10:24 PM
That would be kick ass if they did stay in San Antonio permanently but I won't believe it until I see it.

exstatic
09-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Benson's going to get his ass sued if he doesn't refund the $$$$

hussker
09-04-2005, 10:28 PM

And there lies the burden on SA...Do you want to be a part of that? Not me!

whottt
09-04-2005, 10:46 PM
What a fine outpouring of sympathy from San Antonians towards the traumatized folk of New Orleans and the State of Louisiana.

San Antonian: You poor people. God Bless you all. How horrible and responsible the government is because 90% of you thought it would be easier to get heli-rescued than uh...walk. Here, let us help you and let us welcome you to our fair city.

But um...we're keeping your football team.

It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over. Brotherly love is awesome.

Sense
09-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Think positive...

Do you know how great this would be for San Antonio, all happening in one year?

Trainwreck2100
09-04-2005, 11:13 PM

It's not his fault the superdome can't be used why should he pay for an act of God, I'm sure he's consulted his lawyers.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Think positive...

Do you know how great this would be for San Antonio, all happening in one year?

Sure...Tell me about it after your tax bill over the next 20 yrs...Home/Car/City/VIA, etc...etc...

This stuff will not be for free ya know! Even a free lunch is not free...someone has to pay for it!

ducks
09-04-2005, 11:16 PM
if he consults his lawyers plans on moving the team to a new town
why refund the tickets?

the people that have season tickets could still go to the games if they want to

(games are usually on sunday and alot of people are off then so they can travel to the game)

Sense
09-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Sure...Tell me about it after your tax bill over the next 20 yrs...Home/Car/City/VIA, etc...etc...

This stuff will not be for free ya know! Even a free lunch is not free...someone has to pay for it!

it will be free for me..

I live in Eagle Pass.

Or will it? :smokin

totalspurshomer
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
After all the rebuilding that is about to take place, there is no way that the NFL will make that city suffer through an "expansion team" growing its wings, no way.
And the difference between the Saints and an expansion team is... :huh :lol

Don't forget, you're talking about a fan base that is accustomed to wearing bags over their heads during most home games throughtout their history. At least an expansion team would give them a fresh start in more than one way. In reality, they would NEVER get an expansion team over LA. It remains to be seen what kind of city New Orleans ends up being anyway. Good chance it may end up being much too small to support a team anyway.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:20 PM
it will be free for me..

I live in Eagle Pass.

Or will it? :smokin

That's Texas and in the USA right? We are all paying for what happenned in NOLA, and it is not ANYONE's FAULT.

exstatic
09-04-2005, 11:24 PM
It's not his fault the superdome can't be used why should he pay for an act of God, I'm sure he's consulted his lawyers.
He took money for an event that will now not happen. Concerts have to be cancelled all the time. They refund the money.

Do you really want someone who would do that as an owner in SA? I think this falls under the old Dear Abby rule. She had a woman write in who was heartbroken because her husband had left her. It turns out that he left his first wife for her. Moral of the story: If he did it to her, he'll do it to you.

ChumpDumper
09-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I agree it's not the most tasteful way of getting a team, but it'll be interesting to see if we can actually support it. We'll have to improve the dome or build a Foxboro-type regional stadium somewhere between New Braunfels and San Marcos.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Furthermore, someone will have to pay for the Act Of God...If the Saints move here, look in the mirror, oh "Act Of God Payor"

ChumpDumper
09-04-2005, 11:29 PM
He took money for an event that will now not happen. Concerts have to be cancelled all the time. They refund the money.May depend on the purchase agreement.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:32 PM
I agree it's not the most tasteful way of getting a team, but it'll be interesting to see if we can actually support it. We'll have to improve the dome or build a Foxboro-type regional stadium somewhere between New Braunfels and San Marcos.

We can't, we won't and we don't (have the $$ to do it). Let's face it, the MoDome is good for HS football, NCAA Final Fours and Spurs Championship celebrations. The good news is, it will be getting plenty of use every June for the next several years! GO SPURS GO!!

Vashner
09-04-2005, 11:45 PM
San Antonio Saints ...

We better order a bigger trophy case!!

ChumpDumper
09-04-2005, 11:46 PM
We can't, we won't and we don't (have the $$ to do it). Says who? You? How much do you think it costs? And don't just cop out and say "more than we can afford!"

Sense
09-05-2005, 12:24 AM
I really hope they bring another team to SA...

That'd be awesome.

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 12:30 AM
When I had Riders season tickets, there was a clause stating that Acts of God did not compel the team to offer refunds (or something along those lines).

The sone
09-05-2005, 12:47 AM
dew it! dew it! dew it!

ZStomp
09-05-2005, 12:52 AM
dew it! dew it! dew it!

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/he/photo/movie_pix/oscars/76th_annual_academy_awards_arrivals_photos/ben_stiller/oscars.jpg

Do it.
Do it.
Do it.

Notorious H.O.P.
09-05-2005, 01:42 AM
Ignoring the whole horrible, miserable situation in NO for just a moment, if any of this is true, I think it puts a monkeywrench in any plans to play any Saints games here in SA.

If there is talk about a permanent move to SA, it is a PR disaster for the league. PT might not allow the Saints to play in SA for fear that people will begin to think this is true, whether it is or not.

If there is any more press about a permanent move to SA, he may feel he is better off placing the team someplace else that will not be so controversial in this respect.

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 01:45 AM
That or it may make it easier to just leave them here when they start playing and things go well.

T Park
09-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Bring em on over.

I have to feel guilty and not want them to play in SA because of a hurricane??

Bring em on.

If they are playing games in the dome, Im buyin season tickets.

That simple.

Dingle Barry
09-05-2005, 03:09 AM
I don't get why it would be a PR disaster. It is very likely that the Saints and Hornets will NOT BE ABLE to play in NO for the foreseeable future. It seems reasonable to expect that most big corporations will not return to NO any time soon, and that the city will be a huge slum for quite some time. It sucks the city has to lose its team, but someone has to pay for it and they cant right now.

cherylsteele
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
If he is wanting to move them here permantly then why not play all the home games here to gauge what type of support he would recieve.

Now is the perfect time to do this.

picnroll
09-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Football sucks. Hope they go somewhere else. Doesn't Las Vegas need a team?

Sii
09-05-2005, 09:46 AM
I dont buy it would be some PR diaster...step into reality...no wont be able to support a team for prob several years. I've heard the Dome may even have to be imploded to do the damage from flooding and everything else. NO wont be a city financial wise ready to support any professional team in the near future

Benson is not going to just travel around for the next few years waiting to see if NO will rebuild to a big enough level. Playing games in a college stadium a temp basis for part of a season is one thing...doing that PERMANENTLY is another

LOTS of companines will prob have to move from NO...do you think people will just wait with no income for years while NO rebuilds?

rumors have had Benson moving the Saints for a few years now....this just accelarates it because NO wont be able to support them anytime soon

If Benson wants to move...he will move. The other NFL owners are not going to veto him from getting out of the horrible situation he is in now

other teams have moved that the NFL wasnt happy about...but the owners still didnt veto it

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 10:08 AM
http://www.wdsu.com/sports/4934334/detail.html

Saints To Play In San Antonio: No Refunds

POSTED: September 4, 2005

Email This Story | Print This Story

The New Orleans Saints will play all home games and San Antonio and will not refund ticket holders, according to a high-ranking official with the team who contacted a WDSU sports reporter. An official announcement is expected in the next day or two.

There goes any goodwill that Benson might have been able to save.

Notorious H.O.P.
09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
The idea of a permanet move at this time is a PR disaster. I know fully well that NO will never be the same and it will be a significant amount of time before they can support a team again.

But this falls on the "kick them while they're down" idea. Yes, it will be years before the team can go back to NO and be in a situation where they can be profitable again. Yes, people will have no disposable income for a long time. And yes, a significant amount of businesses will not return to the area therefore reducing potential corporate sponsership and advertisement income.

But no one wants to tell these people that in addition to everything else they've lost, they are losing their sports teams also.

And before I get flamed to a crisp by someone making the stupid inference of "after they've lost their homes, family members and everything they own, do you think they give a sh*t about a football team?", it represents another kick to the side or twist of the knife.

Some people want to hope they can return to the city they've known as home all of thier lives. They want to think they can rebuild and return to some state of normalcy. Nobody wants to crush part of that spirit right now by making immediate anouncements that "Company X has decided to relocate to another state", "Company Y has decided to move their headquarters permanently overseas".

Sports teams are entities that have the power to unite an entire city and would be important to any rebuilding process. Look at how our city rallies around the Spurs and the universal goodwill it inspires among our fans.

It is very possible that Saints and Hornets may never return to New Orleans. There are bigger priorities than rebuilding or repairing the dome and arena and it may be a long time before people will have the disposable income required to go to games. But saying now, in the midst of all the misery that the team is permanently locating is a PR disaster.

Permanently moving the teams now means San Antonio Saints or St Louis/Oklahoma City Hornets. More things that NO has lost. For now, it is best to say that the Saints will be back eventually (even if they may not). People displaced out of the city for months or longer can still cheer on their Saints and still feel the connection with their city and their fellow New Orleanians even though they are now spread out across the country.

The city of New Orleans may never see the Saints again, but you can't make announcements about permanent moves now. Don't continue to take things away from people that have almost nothing left. The team may move to a city on a "temporary" *wink*wink* basis but you can't tell these people "by the way, you lost your team also".

I know the dymanics of business and I know maximum profitability is a huge if not primary concern. But anyone with a heart would not make that announcement now. I know I couldn't.

TOP-CHERRY
09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree.

TheWriter
09-05-2005, 01:59 PM
During a news conference, Deputy Superintendent Warren Riley said police were telling the remaining residents that there is no food, water or jobs and nothing to remain in New Orleans for. "This city has been destroyed," Riley said.

It's only speaking the truth, and sometimes it hurts.

Tek_XX
09-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Reports on the saints are taking so many different angles, i just read one that said the team can't wait to get back to louisiana, and would highly prefer to play at LSU.

TheWriter
09-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Reports on the saints are taking so many different angles, i just read one that said the team can't wait to get back to louisiana, and would highly prefer to play at LSU.

That's there first option is to play at LSU but it's not going to happen with LSU being a staging point for evacuees and relief efforts.

Tek_XX
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Well the article didn't mention evacuees, it said the problem was LSU would play there saturday and that logistics with the field if the saints played there sunday.

AlamoSpursFan
09-05-2005, 02:11 PM
They just reported the Benson wants to move to SA permanently rumor on ESPN News...that doesn't make it true, of course. But now it's national. Fallout should be interesting.

They said Saints officials are desperately trying to talk him out of it.

T Park
09-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Some people

exactly right.

SOME people.

Colin Cowherd was spot on this morning on this subject.

All the money, the govt, the state, and the city are gonna give, goes to the people.

Football is about 105th in line in importance.

I gaurantee you that not everyone watches the Saints, not EVERYONE cares about the Saints.

If the Saints want to move here/?

Ill voluntarily give some tax money to renovate or fix the dome so it happens.

COme on Mr, Benson. Do it....

Sii
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I dont think it makes sense to lead on NO fans either by coming to SA on some so called "temp" basis with the notion that some day you may return to NO

The Saints would have to keep up that charade for a year or two..maybe even longer..who knows

Its going to be a long..long time before NO would be able to support the Saints...the Superdome may not even be fit to be saved..which means even longer till they had a new Stadium

The Team may not announce something right now...but I doubt they let it go past the end of this coming season. I think the saints dont have much choice but to move. Playing somewhere on a temp basis doesnt make sense past this season. No way NO is back to normal and ready to go by next season

T Park
09-05-2005, 03:14 PM
NO will NEVER be normal.

The French Quarter may stay, downtown that didn't get flooded too bad will be ok.

But corporations and businesses that wanted to be there or were there, arent going.

The city IMO should try and become a midwest Las Vegas.

Shows, gambling, partying BIG hotels.

It would work....

TheWriter
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
In four years, I can see New Orleans being at the Corpus Christi type level in terms of population and economy.

hussker
09-05-2005, 03:23 PM
NO will NEVER be normal.

The French Quarter may stay, downtown that didn't get flooded too bad will be ok.

But corporations and businesses that wanted to be there or were there, arent going.

It would work....

:tu
I agree...

Brodels
09-05-2005, 04:38 PM
http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tporleans/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tporleans/archives/2005_09.html#077000

Opinion: Please don't go, Mr. Benson

The people of the New Orleans area "battered, grieving and homeless" are in desperate need of something to hold onto. Something to ease their broken hearts and nourish their spirits.

Saints owner Tom Benson can give them that something. He can choose, and we fervently hope he will, to play this fall's home games at LSU's Tiger Stadium.

Saints fans are among the most loyal in the NFL. For 38 years, they have embraced this team whether it won or lost, and the losses almost always outnumbered the wins. Mr. Benson owns this team, and it is his business. But this is our team, too, at least in spirit. What other fans would pack the Superdome year after year despite lackluster win/loss records? Don't these devoted people deserve that sort of dedication in return?

This metro area has suffered the worst natural catastrophe in the nation's history. People who were helpless to get out of the way of the storm died in our beloved Superdome. The Dome is wrecked, and it is a place known for misery right now. But it can be refurbished. Its rebuilding can be a hopeful sign to the hundreds of thousands of residents who have been scattered across the region by Hurricane Katrina - people who have lost not only loved ones and homes, but their entire community.

The Saints have been a source of that sense of community since the day they first walked on the field. They bring us together in a way nothing else does.

The NFL doesn't want the Saints to leave. As after the Sept. 11 attacks, when the New York Giants chose to stay in their ravaged city, the league sees the Saints as a balm for wounded souls.

Surely the players don't want to leave. Receiver Joe Horn spent three hours touring the Astrodome on Saturday, signing autographs for children and giving the 15,000 displaced storm survivors something to smile about.

And it is difficult to believe Mr. Benson would want to leave, despite reports to the contrary. He has talked in recent months about how much he loves New Orleans, about his desire to stay here, and we take him at his word.

Before Katrina, Saints fans wanted their team to stay. Now they need it to stay.

timvp
09-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Saints look at making San Antonio 'home' all season
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2152641

SAN ANTONIO -- Despite their public stance that they hope to play home games in Baton Rouge, La., for the 2005 season, the strong preference of New Orleans Saints officials is to stage the contests here at the Alamodome, and it is a position that team management is expected to soon articulate to NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

"The best [scenario] for us is to play the games right here, because, well, this is where we are," coach Jim Haslett said Monday, following his team's first practice in preparation for Sunday's season opener at Carolina. "I know a lot of things have been discussed, but we would like to be here. But it's not up to us. The league will make the decision."

Saints owner Tom Benson, who on Monday afternoon declined to do interviews but did suggest he will sit down with the media later in the week, will meet sometime in the next few days with Tagliabue and other NFL officials. That session, which likely will be in New York, could occur as early as Tuesday, club sources told ESPN.com. It's expected that Benson will review his franchise's options, and also lay out for the league the details in place in San Antonio, where the Saints already have decided to practice all season.

Multiple team sources said on Monday the Saints have focused hard in recent days on San Antonio as their home site.

At a Sunday evening press conference, general manager Mickey Loomis indicated that the Saints would like to play at LSU, because of its proximity to New Orleans and the chance that whatever fans remain in the abandoned city might be able to travel to home contests. Loomis and other team officials pointed out that the Saints have season ticket patrons across the Gulf Coast.

But there is some construction still ongoing at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge and playing there could be a logistical nightmare, since the city has become a major staging area for the relief efforts in the area. In addition, it might be difficult to secure hotels for visiting teams, since many of the Baton Rouge facilities are already hosting evacuees. And, as is the case with everything Saints officials and players say or do now, there is a sensitivity that must be factored into the equation.

City of San Antonio officials here have been quietly at work to create an incentives package for Benson, one that would include guaranteed sellouts for every contest. There is one significant scheduling conflict, given that the Alamodome is scheduled to be the site of the NCAA volleyball championships Dec. 15-17. The Saints have a home date on Dec. 18, against Carolina, and the San Antonio Express News reported Monday that it takes about 48 hours to install the artificial surface at the dome.

"You just hate to be moving all over the place every week, like nomads, you know" said wide receiver Joe Horn. "If we're living here, maybe we should just play here."

The apparent change of focus to San Antonio came amid reports that Benson planned to move the franchise here permanently and to not issue refunds to season ticketholders in New Orleans. The latest report, on the tickets, came from a New Orleans television station which cited a discussion with Saints executive vice president Arnold Fielkow. There were also indications that some sentiments that Benson may have expressed directly after the impact of Hurricane Katrina have softened in recent days.

Still looking weary, Benson politely rebuffed interview attempts as he left the practice field on Monday afternoon. "Guys, I'm about up to here right now," Benson said, holding his hand to his chin. "Talk to Greg [Bensel, director of media relations] and hopefully we can do something later in the week."

Benson likely does not want to make any public comments until after he has an opportunity to meet face-to-face with Tagliabue and league officials.

Responding to the reports that have suggested the Saints will never play again in New Orleans, Haslett said: "If somebody was saying that, obviously, they don't know what they are talking about."

Once again on Monday, there was a sense that New Orleans players and coaches feel that the league is not doing enough and has stacked the deck against them. Players and most coaches, including Haslett, were unaware that the NFL had set the date for their "home" opener at Giants Stadium for Monday night, Sept. 19.

"Oh, well, more of the same," said safety Jay Bellamy.

An exasperated Haslett, clearly operating on very little sleep, and only six days from the regular-season opener at Carolina, joked again about the possibility that the league will decide to have the Saints play all their "home" games at the sites of their opponents.

"We'll do whatever we have to do," Haslett said. "If that's what the NFL says we have to do, then we'll do it."

For the second day in a row, Haslett's cited the Saints' success on the road during his five-year tenure. New Orleans is 24-16 in road games since Haslett arrived in 2000, and just 18-22 at home in that period.

I still don't think the NFL will let it happen.

Vashner
09-05-2005, 07:19 PM
If he hires a 90% NO staff he might be able to pull it off..
kids need to get to school etc..

Also he might get the NFL to agree to an expansion team once the city get's back up and running (2-3 years from now)..

Duff McCartney
09-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Once they rebuild everything, give NO two years and there'll be as many fans going to see the Saints as there were before the hurricane...none.

ChumpDumper
09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Two things:

As after the Sept. 11 attacks, when the New York Giants chose to stay in their ravaged cityWas this ever in question? And they (and the Jets) were already in a different state anyway, their facility -- and much more of their fan base -- intact.
whatever fans remain in the abandoned city might be able to travel to home contests.Um, it's abandoned.

Money316
09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
IF you don't think teams do what the NFL wants them to do, you're kidding yourself.

Tell that to AL Davis
:fro :fro :fro

T Park
09-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Tell it to Art Modell as well.

exstatic
09-05-2005, 10:37 PM
...and Bud Adams
...and Georgia Rosenbloom
...and Bill Bidwell

Clandestino
09-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Once they rebuild everything, give NO two years and they'll be no fans going to see the games like there were before the hurricane hit.

exactly...no one ever went before.. and now that they are spending money rebuilding they should all of the sudden go...

maybe fema will build them a new stadium.

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Well, The Superdome is reporeted to be beyond repair. ABC News is saying it has to be torn down.

AlamoSpursFan
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
that wasn't ABC News saying that...it was the Superdome Director. The NO version of Mike Abington.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Well, The Superdome is reporeted to be beyond repair. ABC News is saying it has to be torn down.

If that's the case, then the Saints HAVE to move, no questions.

Horry For 3!
09-06-2005, 12:16 AM
They announced that on ESPN that he could be moving them to SA permantely so I guess he is serious. That is good though, I hope they do. I will be at most games. :)

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 12:57 AM
San Antonio is not getting a team while LA doesn't have one. Get a clue. This is the epic San Antonio pipe dream that just won't die.

ZStomp
09-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Fuck LA!

midgetonadonkey
09-06-2005, 01:13 AM
How many Cowboys fans here would root for them over the boys if they move here indefinitely?

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 01:20 AM
San Antonio is not getting a team while LA doesn't have one. Get a clue. This is the epic San Antonio pipe dream that just won't die.

What the fuck does LA not having a team have to do with BENSON wanting to move the team here.

If he wants the team herem nothing the NFL does, nothing Jerry Jones does, will stop it.

LA had two teams, they both failed. Hell, they can't even get their shit together for a team now.

And if LA was such a big thing to the NFL, why haven't they given them an expansion team? They gave Houston one way before them.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 01:21 AM
I sure am glad ms. stuckey was hired a few days ago.....we'll get to see if she is worth the 250,000 a year, pretty darn quick.

You mean Sheryl Sculley, right?

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 02:25 AM
I lived in SoCal for five years; baseline and Kori can vouch for the fact that the NFL is a surprisingly hard sell there given the difficulty of building a new stadium. They were close with a Carson site a few years back but things fell apart.

HB22inSA
09-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Don't kid yourself.

The Dome will not be ready, and I sure as hell won't help pay for it.

Unless Benson wants to pay for the upgrades, I would discourage "upgrading" the already under-used and aging Dome.

The City barely kept the Spurs here a few years ago with the building of the SBC Center, which, by any other standards was very cheaply built (money wise, < $200 million)

San Antonio abandoned a huge money-maker in the PGA Village.

Bottom Line, this city cannot afford/support another Major Sports franchise.

This city will always be a one-sport, small media, small market city.

Be happy with the Spurs and leave it at that.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Don't kid yourself.

The Dome will not be ready, and I sure as hell won't help pay for it.

Unless Benson wants to pay for the upgrades, I would discourage "upgrading" the already under-used and aging Dome.

The City barely kept the Spurs here a few years ago with the building of the SBC Center, which, by any other standards was very cheaply built (money wise, < $200 million)

San Antonio abandoned a huge money-maker in the PGA Village.

Bottom Line, this city cannot afford/support another Major Sports franchise.

This city will always be a one-sport, small media, small market city.

Be happy with the Spurs and leave it at that.

Wow, where to begin. Were you trying to pass gas so hard that you blacked out then fell on your keyboard, which gave us your brillant post?

First off, if the city put raising sales taxes or hotel/motel taxes or whatever means to pay for upgrades to a vote, I'm 100% sure the majority of this city would vote yes.

The Dome is not "under-used." Many conventions book the dome, not to mention high school football, NCAA sporting events (like the Final Four), the Alamo Bowl, etc.

Did you know the PGA Tour resort is being built? Same spot as the PGA Village. except this will be built by the PGA Tour (much more name value). It will house a 1,000 room hotel, practice facilities, two golf courses designed by Greg "the Shark" Norman.

Of course the city barely kept the Spurs, because they were playing in a Dome that was not fit to NBA standards. That's why the SBC Center was built. All sports cities go though this from time to time. The major ones, the big ones , and the mid-size ones.

Bottomline is, the city can and would support another pro sports team. This isn't 1990. which your mindset seems to be stuck in.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Team eyes S.A., but NFL said to have doubts

Tom Orsborn
San Antonio Express-News

New Orleans Saints officials are formulating a plan that calls for the team's home games this season to be played at the Alamodome, sources within the organization and city government said Monday.

A source close to Saints owner Tom Benson also confirmed Benson has a strong interest in relocating his team to San Antonio, a move that would give the Alamo City its second major professional sports team.

Despite assertions by team general manager Mickey Loomis that the Saints' commitment to New Orleans is "stronger than ever," sources say Benson will inform NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue in New York that the Alamodome is the most attractive option in the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

The NFL, however, has its doubts about San Antonio's ability to draw fans and corporate sponsors, sources said.

The Saints "are committed to playing their games in the dome," a city official said. "The only question is, how many games can they play there."

The Alamodome is the site of the NCAA Volleyball Championships Dec. 15-17, an event that could prevent the Saints from playing Carolina in the dome Dec. 18.

Benson, who could meet with Tagliabue as soon as today, declined a request for an interview during the team's practice Monday at a San Antonio School District facility.

If Benson has his way, the Alamodome will be the site of the team's second home game, on Oct. 2 against Buffalo. It's a stance favored by Saints coach Jim Haslett.

"The best situation for us is to play games right here because we are working here," Haslett said. "But still having our ties to Louisiana, you would like to go to Baton Rouge and play a game or two."

Although the Saints would prefer to play games as close as possible to their fan base, sources say Benson and others in the organization never considered LSU's Tiger Stadium as a viable option because Baton Rouge is home to thousands of evacuees and is a staging area for rescue efforts.

Officials at LSU, in fact, announced Monday the Tigers' football game against Arizona State on Saturday would be played in Tempe, Ariz., rather than Baton Rouge.

"We don't want to interfere with the recovery effort in any way," LSU athletic director Skip Bertman said.

The NFL already has moved the Saints' home opener against the New York Giants, originally scheduled for Sept. 18 at the Louisiana Superdome, to Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

The league announced Monday the Saints-Giants game will be part of a nationally televised doubleheader starting at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 19.

Sources close to Benson say he was angered by the NFL's decision to play the Sept. 18 game in New Jersey.

Benson, sources say, also is upset that the league is considering having the Saints play all of their home games on the road.

The NFL, sources say, would rather have the Saints play 16 road games because it believes attendance would be low at the Alamodome.

To counter that claim, city officials are seeking corporate sponsors that would guarantee the team plays before capacity crowds.

Several Saints said they would not mind playing their home games at the Alamodome.

"Right now, I'm fine with that, because most of the fans are here in Texas," receiver Joe Horn said. "I wouldn't want to (move permanently to San Antonio), of course not. I like Louisiana. But Mr. Benson has to do what Mr. Benson has to do."

There have been rumors for years that Benson, who has strong business and personal ties to San Antonio, eventually would try to move the Saints.

In May, attorney Stanley Rosenberg, a member of the team's board of directors, told the Express-News that Benson was interested in moving the team to the Alamo City after the 2005 season.

Henry Cisneros, a former San Antonio mayor who has known Benson for more than 20 years, said Benson faces a tough decision since it is unlikely the Saints will play in the Superdome anytime soon.

"The hurricane complicates things in that what would have been purely a business decision becomes a decision of the heart," Cisneros said.

"No one, I'm sure, wants to be perceived as leaving a city in its hardest moment. How that will bear on his decision, I don't know."

timvp
09-06-2005, 03:48 AM
By tomorrow night, it'll be official that the Saints will have to play all their games on the road.

Bank it.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 03:53 AM
By tomorrow night, it'll be official that the Saints will have to play all their games on the road.

Bank it.

I will bank on it. Just like Finley not holding up that number 4 Spurs jersey.

Also, if you were TPark, I'd bank on it just like the Spurs not winning the title.

And if you were BuddyHolly, I'd bank on it just like Charles Oakley signing with the Spurs.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 03:55 AM
LJ, would you like to make a bet?

If I win, you go from Return of the G to TheWriter's Bitch.

And if you win, I go from Buddy' Bitch to Timvp's Bitch.

For one month.

You up fo' it?

HB22inSA
09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Wait a minute.

You don't think that if the Saints moved here, they upgraded the Dome, that in a few years they wouldn't push to build a new Football Stadium?

They screwed the city with the Alamodome the first time, it won't happen again.

You say I'm stuck in 1990, no, I'm actually looking ahead to 2010.

Oops, I passed gas again.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 04:41 AM
Wait a minute.

You don't think that if the Saints moved here, they upgraded the Dome, that in a few years they wouldn't push to build a new Football Stadium?

They screwed the city with the Alamodome the first time, it won't happen again.

You say I'm stuck in 1990, no, I'm actually looking ahead to 2010.

Oops, I passed gas again.

No, they won't ask for a new stadium if the Dome is upgraded.

Do you know how old the Superdome is? That thing needed a makeover worse tha Nick Nolte. The Alamodome is barely 12 years old.

With the right types of upgrades, like Lambeau Field in Green Bay or Soldier Field in Chicago they're able to maintain using 30 year old stadiums with upgrades, the Alamodome could serve the Saints for a long time.

The Alamodome would have been a great idea had the city landed a team, it didn't, so now it was a mistake. Please. Without the Dome, no Final Four, no Alamo Bowl, etc. Those things bring in a lot of money to the city.

TheTruth
09-06-2005, 05:20 AM
"The best situation for us is to play games right here because we are working here," Haslett said. "But still having our ties to Louisiana, you would like to go to Baton Rouge and play a game or two."
Thats and incouraging quote right there. Tells me Benson is passing the word on what the company line should be. I really hope we get at least one game. I want to f*ing taligate.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 08:42 AM
What a fine outpouring of sympathy from San Antonians towards the traumatized folk of New Orleans and the State of Louisiana.

San Antonian: You poor people. God Bless you all. How horrible and responsible the government is because 90% of you thought it would be easier to get heli-rescued than uh...walk. Here, let us help you and let us welcome you to our fair city.

But um...we're keeping your football team.

It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over. Brotherly love is awesome.

San Antonio is primed to steal the Saints from New Orleans. As if this city hasn't had enough trouble, now San Antonio is trying to fleece them out of the Saints.

Talk about kicking someone when they are down!

San Antonio should have to wait in line for an expansion team just like every other 2nd rate city (i.e., Nashville, Jacksonville).

Benson and the city of San Antonio should be ashamed of themselves. But what else would you expect from a 2nd rate wannabe city like San Antonio? If they can't get a team the legitimately then just go out and steal one.

Pathetic and shameful.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 08:45 AM
San Antonio Saints ...

We better order a bigger trophy case!!

Yeah to go with all those Stanley Cups and MLB Championship trophies.

Er.......Um......forget it.

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 08:52 AM
TheWriter:

#1. Do not try to make any guesses on what the New Orleans economy is. You have no idea what it will be, and you are not an economist by any means.

#2. Do not try and make guesses on what Benson is trying to do. San Antonio may be the best option for this year, but that doesn't mean it presents the best option in the long run. No way in hell.

#3. LA has a huge TV market and a much larger fan and corporate base than San Antonio. Houston beating it out isn't the same as San Antonio beating it out. No way in hell.

#4 Don't act as though you are an expert on stadium situations. The Superdome was old, but it was also a hell of a lot bigger than the Alamodome.

So, if you want to indulge and keep smoking the crack pipe that is NFL coming to San Antonio, feel free.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 09:09 AM
The Alamodome is a pup tent compared to the Superdome. If the Saints stay here permanently they will need a new stadium. SA should build them one, it will be money well spent.

Then they can use the Alamodome for final four, conventions, soccer games (:lol)...

EDIT: I should say that SA should build the Saints a new stadium once a permanent agreement is put in place. And the COPS and Metro Alliance people should shut the hell up and go along with something valuable to the city for a change.

Kip Fanatic
09-06-2005, 09:29 AM
I think the Saints should play the rest of the year here. I don't think the Saints nor the NFL should make a decision this year about where the Saints will play for good. Its too big of a decision to make right now. Not after what all has happened. People's lives have been destroyed. The city is destroyed and no one really knows what's going to happen in New Orleans. You hear his on one channel and hear something totally different on another channel. The truth is that only time will tell. I am all for San Antonio getting a NFL team. However, I don't know if the Saints are that team. It would be too easy, but a real steal for San Antonio. However, I think the NFL should just decide as to what happens this year with the Saints and wait until the off-season as to what happens with them the years there after.

blaze89
09-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Team eyes S.A., but NFL said to have doubts

The NFL, however, has its doubts about San Antonio's ability to draw fans and corporate sponsors, sources said.

The Saints "are committed to playing their games in the dome," a city official said. "The only question is, how many games can they play there."

The NFL, sources say, would rather have the Saints play 16 road games because it believes attendance would be low at the Alamodome.

Hmm...I wonder how the NFL came up with that perception.

To counter that claim, city officials are seeking corporate sponsors that would guarantee the team plays before capacity crowds.

This is probably the most work city officials have ever done trying to get the NFLs attention. I still laugh at Howard Peak celebrating the naming of the Houston Texans....wow! That's Impressive!

There have been rumors for years that Benson, who has strong business and personal ties to San Antonio, eventually would try to move the Saints.

In May, attorney Stanley Rosenberg, a member of the team's board of directors, told the Express-News that Benson was interested in moving the team to the Alamo City after the 2005 season.

Bargaining chip???

Look, I'm in favor of having an NFL team in San Antonio, in the Alamodome but all this city has ever done is talk about it. Attendence in exhibition games here have been at best....disappointing, the city had refused to put any serious effort in gaining their attention since Cisneros left. All I've heard is theories of how this and that can make it happen. What I haven't heard is evidence we can present to the powers that be that the NFL can work here.

We do lack the corporate sponsors even with Toyota coming into town, support for football here in the past is almost embarassing, plus the city lacks the funds to bring pro football into town. It cost the city of St. Louis over $500 million to move the Rams (which the NFL approved - after Rams ownership threatened with a lawsuit.) That was in 1995, what is the price going to be now, ten years later? It will be up to the city to come up with that money, the State of Texas is not going to pitch in unless they want every Texas sports team in the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB at their doorstep asking for a handout.

I want the NFL here as much as the next guy but with the economics of this situation and the city's efforts to get one, it's a pipe dream at best.

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 09:45 AM
The Alamodome is a pup tent compared to the Superdome. If the Saints stay here permanently they will need a new stadium. SA should build them one, it will be money well spent.

Then they can use the Alamodome for final four, conventions, soccer games (:lol)...

EDIT: I should say that SA should build the Saints a new stadium once a permanent agreement is put in place. And the COPS and Metro Alliance people should shut the hell up and go along with something valuable to the city for a change.
No. If the people of this city vote in favor of a tax increase for a stadium while weeping to death on the taxes for school finance, then I will be pissed off.

I love sports, and I know what a team and stadium can do for a city, but I'm telling you I'll fight a stadium funded by San Antonio taxpayers.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I love sports, and I know what a team and stadium can do for a city, but I'm telling you I'll fight a stadium funded by San Antonio taxpayers.

That is Exhibit A of why an NFL franchise will never move here. It would mean much more money coming in than what we spent, but that will never happen.

The same people voted on a lottery to finance education, but they won't allow a sports franchise to bring in tax dollars.

blaze89
09-06-2005, 09:52 AM

I think you have a better chance of driving to Mars and back before that ever happens.

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Bexar County voters barely approved the SBC Center deal despite the Spurs having won their first championship. I think CA Stubbs still has enough gas left in the tank to beat down any new stadium financing vote.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
The general consensus is that SA is a democratic-leaning city. The democrats are calling themselves "Progressives". San Antonio is anything BUT progressive.

SA needs to be saved from its own myopic views.

Vashner
09-06-2005, 10:01 AM
The alamo dome is not a pup tent.. It's got the square footage.. It's got new Jumbo's .. good clean seats. Plenty of toilets. It's also hosted Final 4's and NBA playoffs. Maybe some money to modernize it more but it will work.

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT OUR ALAMODOME loozer...

blaze89
09-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Bexar County voters barely approved the SBC Center deal despite the Spurs having won their first championship. I think CA Stubbs still has enough gas left in the tank to beat down any new stadium financing vote.

The vote was what 60-40 in favor of the SBC Center. And that was after (ironically) the New Orleans Mayor went public implying the city would go after either the Spurs or the Rockets if arena referendums were to fail.

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 10:02 AM
The Alamodome doesn't have enough suites to be a viable long term NFL stadium.

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
The vote was what 60-40 in favor of the SBC Center. And that was after (ironically) the New Orleans Mayor went public implying the city would go after either the Spurs or the Rockets if arena referendums were to fail.

The margin seemed rather low, all things considered.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
The alamo dome is not a pup tent.. It's got the square footage.. It's got new Jumbo's .. good clean seats. Plenty of toilets. It's also hosted Final 4's and NBA playoffs. Maybe some money to modernize it more but it will work.

DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT OUR ALAMODOME loozer...

I've been in both - the Alamodome on several occasions. The Alamodome is nowhere near the size of structure that the superdome is. From all accounts, the facilites (locker rooms, trainer's rooms, offices) are tiny by NFL standards. It's not just the number of seats or square footage (both of which, the Alamodome is smaller - 65k vs 72k, and the superdome I believe is the largest unobstructed interior volume in the world.)

The vertical nature of the Alamodome's stands give better views of the field, but as mentioned, there aren't as many luxury boxes available.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 10:11 AM
How the hell did New Orleans, with their corrupt, inept government manage to build the largest domed stadium in the world and San Antonio can barely build the SBC center?

King Manu
09-06-2005, 10:19 AM
San Antonio is the best place for the Saints. San Antonio has a stronger economy than the state of L.A. Baton Rogue is a very small town. Baton is the size of Corpus Christie. No way Tom Benson moves HIS team to Baton Rouge. Tom Benson is from San Antonio and has all of his investments in San Antonio. Benson knows the NFL market is ready for San Antonio. San Antonio has more fortune 500 companies than New Orleans. San Antonio has a larger tv market than New Orleans. San Antonio as no state income tax. The saints players would love that. San Antonio has 1.8 million in the metro area. New Orleans doesn't even have 1 million in there metro area.

Which means San Antonio overall can support the Saints. Will some san antonio citizens support the saints or be traitors in supporting the cowboys. That's the main question. The Saints move here, I am going for the home team.

King Manu
09-06-2005, 10:20 AM
First of all Texas is a football state. San Antonio is ready to bring the NFL to San Antonio. I will be in line ready to buy season tickets not to mention I will be ready to tail gate.

Dirty_Sanchez
09-06-2005, 10:25 AM
First of all Texas is a football state. San Antonio is ready to bring the NFL to San Antonio. I will be in line ready to buy season tickets not to mention I will be ready to tail gate.

Call them the San Antonio Looters or San Antonio Backstabbers

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
If the Saints moved here, they would want improvements to the dome, then in about 10 years another stadium. I think it would end up being built in Hays county after San Antonians reject whatever tax issue comes before them.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Call them the San Antonio Looters or San Antonio Backstabbers'

Well, they already have the Buccaneers and Raiders - so what's your point, shitbird?

Should Tom Benson rename them the "Most Financially Viables"?

King Manu
09-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Tom Benson is from San Antonio and Benson wants the saints in san antonio. enough said

King Manu
09-06-2005, 10:32 AM
San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Silver Stars
San Antonio Saints

San Antonio Saints has a nice ring too it

TOP-CHERRY
09-06-2005, 11:56 AM
San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Silver Stars
San Antonio Saints

Did you also know that "San" means "Saint" too?

Cool, huh?

:D

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Did you also know that "San" means "Saint" too?

Umm, yes. In related news, Corpus Christi actually means "body of Christ"! More on this breaking story at 10. :lol

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
And Bills are buffaloes.

Or are they.....

http://www.georgenewall.com/imagesshr/I'm-Just-a-Bill-OPT.jpg

TOP-CHERRY
09-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Umm, yes. In related news, Corpus Christi actually means "body of Christ"! More on this breaking story at 10. :lol
Hey! Not everyone knows spanish!

:D

kskonn
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
The margin seemed rather low, all things considered.

it seemed narrow, but at the time it was the largest margin ever recorded in an arena vote. arenas typically average about a 4% margin of victory or failure.

Just a tidbit of info. However I agree a new football stadium would be somewhat of a tough sell. Unless they go Jerry Jones and pick up half of the tab.

should be interesting.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey! Not everyone knows spanish!

Well, Corpus Christi is latin, but point taken.

Some fun at your expense. :tu

Dex
09-06-2005, 01:31 PM
You know I don't speak Spanish! In English, please!

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Barely approved. The vote was a landslide yes.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 02:19 PM
If the Saints moved here, they would want improvements to the dome, then in about 10 years another stadium. I think it would end up being built in Hays county after San Antonians reject whatever tax issue comes before them.

Why would a new stadium need to be built? Explain. Why hasn't Green Bay or Chicago built new football stadiums in the last, oh um, 30 years?

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Chicago just spent HUGE $$$ "renovating" Soldier Field. Basically, it is a new stadium.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Chicago just spent HUGE $$$ "renovating" Soldier Field. Basically, it is a new stadium.

Exactly, put 100 million into the Dome and the place is set for 20 years before new upgrades are needed.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Exactly, put 100 million into the Dome and the place is set for 20 years before new upgrades are needed.

story (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/news.detail/object_id/1d5d21a5-0580-4258-88c9-6586e9b04fbd.cfm)

Lakefront Redevelopment Project

Fact Sheet

Description:

The Lakefront Redevelopment Plan encompasses the renovation of historic Soldier Field and surrounding area to create a state-of-the-art sports and entertainment stadium, underground parking garages and 17 acres of unique lakefront parkland.

Budget:

The cost of the overall Lakefront Redevelopment Plan is $606 million -- $200 million from the Chicago Bears (the largest contribution ever to a publicly owned stadium) and $406 million from the sale of Illinois Sports Facilities Authority bonds (backed by revenues from the existing Chicago hotel-motel tax); the Chicago Bears are responsible for any cost overruns on the project.

Wildcat Spur
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Silver Stars
San Antonio Saints

Change their gold color to silver and we are in business!

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 02:39 PM
story (http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/news.detail/object_id/1d5d21a5-0580-4258-88c9-6586e9b04fbd.cfm)

Lakefront Redevelopment Project

Fact Sheet

Description:

The Lakefront Redevelopment Plan encompasses the renovation of historic Soldier Field and surrounding area to create a state-of-the-art sports and entertainment stadium, underground parking garages and 17 acres of unique lakefront parkland.

Budget:

The cost of the overall Lakefront Redevelopment Plan is $606 million -- $200 million from the Chicago Bears (the largest contribution ever to a publicly owned stadium) and $406 million from the sale of Illinois Sports Facilities Authority bonds (backed by revenues from the existing Chicago hotel-motel tax); the Chicago Bears are responsible for any cost overruns on the project.

17 acres of unique lakefront parkland.

San Antonio isn't developing 17 acres of lakefront parkland in Chicago. It would be a simple renovation to the Alamodome.

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Change their gold color to silver and we are in business!

So we can be sued by Al Davis... no thank you. Just keep them black and gold.

rayray2k8
09-06-2005, 02:42 PM
how many of you in here are cowboy fans??
my question is, IF* the saints played in san antonio, where would
your loyalty be with?

mcdunk
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I am a Cowboys fan and will probably always follow them.

But if the Saints become the SA Saints I will become a Saints fan and support the team by buying season tickets.

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
You have to support the local team. Being a homer is excusable, not supporting your home team is not.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Why would a new stadium need to be built? Explain. Why hasn't Green Bay or Chicago built new football stadiums in the last, oh um, 30 years?Why aren't the Redskins still in RFK?

Why aren't the Ravens in Memorial Stadium?

Why does the NFL want an new stadium in LA rather than using the Coloseum?

Had you ever been to Soldier Field before the renovation? A good third of it was completely unused -- the team used that portion to park their cars -- they were able to build an entirely new seating bowl on top of the old. Lambeau expanded upward -- can we do that in the dome?

New luxury suite construction will take away from the already modest seating capacities, so it's not as cut-and-dry as you might think. Same goes for the taxpayers' willingness to foot the bill.

clubalien
09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
I am a cowboy fan that is why personaly I am not in favor of any team moving here other then cowboys. Espicaly if all a sudden i cannot catch the cowboys games and info on "bunny ear" tv since i don;.t have a dish or cable tv. However if When i grew up the saints were already here I would of never became a cowboys fan. My teams are san antonio spurs and cowboys no matter good or bad times and that is because those were the teams I was raised on. I have no problems with the saints playing here for games as the NO saints untill they get anything worked out though.

clubalien
09-06-2005, 03:24 PM
to expand peopel can switch political parties.; People can switch relgions. People can move to new houses.But a fan never abondens his team. He might enjoy watching new teams, but no one ever stops being a fan of "their" team.

cherylsteele
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
NO will NEVER be normal.

It would work....

I concure.....it will just not be the same...the feeling of the French Quarter will change.

clubalien
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
where will mardi gras be relocated key west?

dknights411
09-06-2005, 03:50 PM
They're saying that Mardi Gras will be in N.O. this year as always. It's gonna be tough, but I think they can pull it off.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
They're saying that Mardi Gras will be in N.O. this year as always. It's gonna be tough, but I think they can pull it off.Well, they've always celebrated Mardi Gras in other places too -- just not as big. Galveston is pretty fun at that time.

True though -- nothing will be the same.

ChumpDumper
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/newsroomarticle.cfm?articleid=1717

i think this is something the league made him or coerced him into saying. knowing full well baton rouge cannot accomodate.Well, LSU isn't even playing there right now -- so who knows?

exstatic
09-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Uh, bad news for those hoping for the team. Either Tagliabue or Jerry Jones has a REAL hardon not to have games here. Peter King's column on cnnsi strongly implied that the Saints second home game, vs the Giants, would also be played in the Meadowlands as an away game.

PM5K
09-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Tom Benson doesn't make money on road games...

goliath
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Uh, bad news for those hoping for the team. Either Tagliabue or Jerry Jones has a REAL hardon not to have games here. Peter King's column on cnnsi strongly implied that the Saints second home game, vs the Giants, would also be played in the Meadowlands as an away game.

Hes talking about the game thats already moved.

2nd home game is against the Bills

CalsonicKansei
09-06-2005, 07:44 PM
This is all a bunch of bullshit, Benson is moving the team to SA, and thats final!

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Flash Gordon - check your messages.

exstatic
09-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Statement published today by Tom Benson:

STATEMENT FROM SAINTS OWNER TOM BENSON
September 6, 2005, New Orleans Saints
Sep 6, 2005 – 2:03 pm

The entire New Orleans Saints organization would like to extend its prayers and best wishes to all of our fans throughout Louisiana and the Gulf South region. We are currently working with the NFL and expect to be in a position shortly to announce the sites for our remaining 2005 home schedule. I have expressed my desire to the NFL to play games in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to the extent circumstances allow.

Saints ticket holders unable to attend home games, wherever played, should also be assured that they will be permitted to request refunds. Specifics of the refund policy will be publicized in the upcoming days.

The New Orleans Saints look forward to the start of the NFL regular season this Sunday and to having the Club be a source of pride and joy in these difficult days. As we move forward together, the Saints look forward to serving as a leader in the rebuilding and revitalization of our great community. Towards this effort, the Saints have established the "New Orleans Saints Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund". Further information for those individuals/companies interested in contributing will be announced shortly.

goliath
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Ed Werner of ESPN just reported that while a site hadnt been determined for the home games, the Saints have been assured that it wont be a 16 game road schedule

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Still hittin' the pipe huh?

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Manny, would you like to accept the bet Timvp has yet to accept?

If I win, you go from Marriage to TheWriter's Bitch.

And if you win, I go from Buddy' Bitch to MannyIsGod's Bitch.

For one month.

You up fo' it?

baseline bum
09-06-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't think that bet's fair since Buddy is already Slomo's Bitch.

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Whats the bet?

TheWriter
09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Whats the bet?

Read the quote.

You say the Saints aren;t coming to play in the Dome this year. I say they will.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
No, I said they aren't coming to the Dome permantly, and if they do come this year San Antonio will not support them unless there are enourmous discounts.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 12:04 AM
No, I said they aren't coming to the Dome permantly, and if they do come this year San Antonio will not support them unless there are enourmous discounts.

San Antonio would support them. Do you know how many people in this city have been waiting for pro football?

And if they thought this would be a test from the NFL to see if we'd support it, they'd be even more amped.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 12:06 AM
I maintain, pipe dream.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I maintain, pipe dream.

I maintain not.

As of right now, neither of us is correct.

baseline bum
09-07-2005, 12:13 AM
San Antonio would fill up the Dome in a second for real NFL football. People complain that preseason showings weren't good, but who's going to shell $60 out for a game where the good players play one quarter and then you see nothing but scrubs? I have no doubt this city could get 65,000 people to come to 8 games a season when the games actually mean something and they have a team to get behind. This is a city where drawing thousands for high-school games every Friday night is nothing.

blaze89
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM
San Antonio would support them. Do you know how many people in this city have been waiting for pro football?

And if they thought this would be a test from the NFL to see if we'd support it, they'd be even more amped.

If this is a test, then I hope the city proves me wrong and passes this test but looking at the past, the city has failed in gaining the NFLs attention. You can say that shelling out ca$h for preseason games isn't worth it but that kind of mentality hasn't worked in the city's effort.

Previous pro football teams in San Antonio never fared well, in terms of attendance in this "football-mad city". You look at the what the NFL is afraid of placing a game in the Alamodome, they just didn't come up with that conclusion out of the thin blue air.

Also, it not only ticket sales and attendence, if they were the only factors then the Browns would have never left Cleveland, Raiders would not have left Oakland and the Colts would still be in Baltimore.

What has the city of San Antonio done to gain serious consideration from the NFL?

All the city has done is talk about...cosmetic stuff.

Vashner
09-07-2005, 12:38 AM
They should just sign a 1 year agreement... Then re-evaluate things.

That way kids can get in school and we can have our football and good times.

Once the Saints get hooked on quality fans they wont want to leave.. Also some good
Mexican food... maybe a few dirty maids and envelopes of cash..

Hey.. it's NFL and San Antonio.. anything is possible :) hahahahahaha (evil laugh)

whottt
09-07-2005, 01:33 AM
San Antonio Backstabbers

Perfect name.

Although I like the San Antonio Grave Robbers too....

Hmmm....the San Antonio Plunder the devastated?

The San Antonio kick em when they're down?

The San Antonio Fuck the Poor?

The San Antonio Fuck the Poor but feel their pain?

It'd be nice if you guys waited to till the funeral was over to show your glee for stealing a devasted state and city's football team.

Pure class San Antonio...Pure class(and yes I know ya'll have zero guilt about doing it, so save the explanation).

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 01:38 AM

Perfect name.

Although I like the San Antonio Grave Robbers too....

It'd be nice if you guys waited to till the funeral was over to show your glee for stealing a devasted state and city's football team.

Pure class San Antonio...Pure class(and yes I know ya'll have zero guilt about doing it, so save the explanation).

Who's stealng? If the the owner wants to move the team here, are we supposed to say no?

I don't think any major city lacking a pro NFL team would say no. You'd be out your mind to say no. You'd be "whottt'd" in the head if you said no.

whottt
09-07-2005, 01:41 AM
I got it...

The San Antonio for all we bitch about the Rich we'll be the first in line to get down on our knees to suck a rich man's dick if there's something in it for us...even if it's one poor city fucking another....

Hell...

San Antonio Whores works just as well.

Perfect.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 01:47 AM
I got it...

The San Antonio for all we bitch about the Rich we'll be the first in line to get down on our knees to suck a rich man's dick if there's something in it for us...even if it's one poor city fucking another....

Hell...

San Antonio Whores works just as well.

Perfect.

San Antonio Coyote > David Robinsons works even better.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:10 AM
I've got the solutuon to your stadium problems....Bill the refugees for sheltering them...or, if that would take too long, just bill the City of NO for it...

LOL when the entire Nation piles on you guys don't any of you act surprised....but then again, maybe ya'll will be...because it's obvious that many of you just don't get it. David Robinson was wasted on ya'll...

The San Antonio Whores....and they can play in Steal from the poor and devastated stadium.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 02:18 AM
I've got the solutuon to your stadium problems....Bill the refugees for sheltering them...or, if that would take too long, just bill the City of NO for it...

LOL when the entire Nation piles on you guys don't any of you act surprised....but then again, maybe ya'll will be...because it's obvious that many of you just don't get it. David Robinson was wasted on ya'll...

The San Antonio Whores....and they can play in Steal from the poor and devastated stadium.

Dude just shut the fuck up already. We get it.

You like little boys.

You have small balls.

Your mom breast feed you until you were 33 years old

Your combover doesn't work anymore.

You paid a real woman for sex last night instead of the tranny's you prefer.

We get it.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:27 AM
The Whores is definitely a fitting name...

But then I realized the most fitting name is right in front of my eyes....

Just call them...the San Antonio City Council

The name is snyonymous with theiving whores already...and it's definitely a symbol representative of San Antonio.

:smokin

How long do you think it will take you guys to learn how to walk without your poor little us crutch? Because you will never be able to use it again.

I mean you still haven't learned to walk without it even after getting a World's Fair, the only fucking Sea World in the state, heavy military military investment in your city, tourist attractions, a richer history than Dallas or Houston....hosting countless major sporting events...

Weak San Antonio...fucking weak.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Local leaders making a play to keep Saints

Web Posted: 09/07/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

San Antonio civic leaders on Thursday cast aside all pretenses about their desire to make the New Orleans Saints the San Antonio Saints. And not just for this NFL season.

From now on.

“This is a great opportunity for the city and we need to seize the moment, jump into with all four legs,” San Antonio businessman and former Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs said.

“Every effort needs to be made to tie the Saints up for this season - including having people stand in front of the dome singing, ‘When the Saints Come Marching In.’ ”

City Councilman Chip Haass said the dream of NFL football in San Antonio may soon be reality.

“It’s a lot closer to happening than people realize,” Haass said.

The city’s pitch, muted for several days because of concerns over the Hurricane Katrina disaster, coincided with a written statement from Saints owner Tom Benson in which he expressed a qualified desire to play his team’s home games in Baton Rouge, La.

But Benson, contacted later in the day, said San Antonio remains an option. The Saints will play the New York Giants in their “home opener” on Sept. 19 in East Rutherford, N.J.

“We are currently working with the NFL and expect to be in position shortly to announce the sites for our remaining 2005 home schedule,” Benson said in his written statement.

“I have expressed my desire to the NFL to play games in Baton Rouge, La., to the extent circumstances allow.”

The league reportedly is considering playing as many four games in San Antonio and three in Baton Rouge.

Questioned later, Benson said: “The statement speaks for itself. We’re looking at San Antonio and other places.”

“I'd like to get this situation solved right now, but maybe it will be done (today),” Benson said. “(The league) likes San Antonio. Nobody doesn't like San Antonio. We just have problems around the league. This is something that has never happened before."

Sources close to the situation, however, say Benson wants the remainder of the team’s home games to be played in the Alamodome.

With that to go on, Haass said, efforts by the city to accommodate Saints’ games - and to drum up support in the private sector for tickets and sponsorships - are gaining momentum.

“Things are progressing,” Haass said. “Nothing is finalized yet, but there is interest on both ends and specifics are trying to be hammered out.”

The NFL reportedly moved the Sept. 18 game to New York because it thought attendance in San Antonio would be low.

McCombs dismissed the notion, saying: “You will find people fighting for tickets. For every game, you would see the better seats scalped and scalped pretty high.”

Assistant City Manager Roland Lozano confirmed negotiations with the Saints are well under way.

“We have been discussing with the Saints the potential of either one game or a number of games at the dome,” Lozano said. “We don’t know how many yet and the Saints aren’t sure either.”

The outlook for the Saints to play at LSU’s Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge remains uncertain. Because of massive relief efforts in Baton Rouge, LSU’s football team has already postponed one game and earlier this week the school agreed to move a home game against Arizona State, scheduled for this Saturday, to Tempe, Ariz.

LSU athletic director Skip Bertman has said the school might consider granting use of Tiger Stadium to the Saints, but said LSU would expect compensation from the Saints.

Benson’s current agreement with the state of Louisiana provides him with huge subsidies to play in the Superdome - a total of $186.5 million over a 10-year periods that began in 2001.

Bertman estimated that that the expenses charged to the Saints for use of Tiger Stadium would be about $300,000 per game.

With speculation growing that the Superdome will need extensive repairs -- and may even have to be razed -- the prospect that Benson may be planning a dramatic relocation of his team appears to be on the rise.

A source close to Benson said this week the Saints’ owner has a strong interest in permanently moving the team to San Antonio, now serving as the team’s temporary operations base and practice. Benson, who has strong personal and business ties to San Antonio, will likely face widespread criticism in Louisiana if he pursues a permanent relocation plan so soon after the Katrina disaster.

Still, some city leaders say they are ready to accommodate any desire Benson may have to move to San Antonio, even if such a move eventually requires the city to renovate the Alamodome or build a new stadium.

“You would obviously have to satisfy NFL requirements either at the dome or another stadium,” McCombs said. “A study by the city five years ago showed the dome could very well be brought up to NFL standards.”

McCombs, who has contacted Saints officials to discuss the situation, said he believes a permanent move to San Antonio would receive support from other league owners, including the Dallas Cowboys’ Jerry Jones and the Houston Texans’ Bob McNair.

“I firmly believe that,” McCombs said. “If Tom asks them, they will support it.”

McCombs cautioned that any such move could be stopped by the owners.

“But I don’t see that happening with Tom,” he said. “ In fact, I see them making it happen. You have to remember Tom sits on the league’s management council and has a lot of clout.”

Spokesman for Jones and McNair said the owners declined to comment.

Lozano and Haass are not the only city officials working to attract the Saints. According to McCombs, Mayor Phil Hardberger’s behind-the-scenes leadership has been crucial.

“He is the first mayor we have had in a long time who understands the value of having an NFL team,” McCombs said. “This is an opportunity for us, specifically because of Mayor Hardberger."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/stories/MYSA090705.3C.FBNsaints.sanantonio.131c0622.html

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:31 AM
You San Antonians better get the Alamo in working order...because you are going to need it when the Nation comes down on your opportunistic asses.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 02:32 AM
The Whores is definitely a fitting name...

But then I realized the most fitting name is right in front of my eyes....

Just call them...the San Antonio City Council

The name is snyonymous with theiving whores already...and it's definitely a symbol representative of San Antonio.

:smokin

How long do you think it will take you guys to learn how to walk without your poor little us crutch? Because you will never be able to use it again.

I mean you still haven't learned to walk without it even after getting a World's Fair, the only fucking Sea World in the state, heavy military military investment in your city, tourist attractions, a richer history than Dallas or Houston....hosting countless major sporting events...

Weak San Antonio...fucking weak.

Where is this sad bitterness coming from? What is the root of your female like bitchfest?

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 02:33 AM
You San Antonians better get the Alamo in working order...because you are going to need it when the Nation comes down on your opportunistic asses.

I see you're not from San Antonio Whottt.

Explains your bitter jealousy.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 02:35 AM
because you are going to need it when the Nation comes down on your opportunistic asses.

When opportunity knocks on the door you fucking answer it. You don't pussy out. You don't question it. It's fucking opportunity. It’s the opportunity of getting an NFL team because the OWNER wants to move it. I don’t see anyone from San Antonio with a gun to his head.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:40 AM

Edit...that should read...heartless, opportunistic asses...it's just not an accurate description of what you are doing without the word heartless being included.

And don't hold your breath waiting for any volunteers this time around....you are going to be all alone on this one...

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Edit...that should read...heartless, opportunistic asses...it's just not an accurate description of what you are doing without the word heartless being included.

And don't hold your breath waiting for any volunteers this time around....you are going to be all alone on this one...

Heartless? Guy, do you just love being dick slapped for the sake of being dicked slapped?

You can go on and on about ruthless this, heartless that, mean bully there, wet willy who cares.

You can type until your keyboard starts to smoke and stops functioning.

Hey Whottt, question.

Are the thousands and thousands of evacuees who are going to start anew in another city, never going back to New Orleans, who are going to call other cities homes. Are they evil? Are they heartless? Do they suck?

Answer that please, or else keep getting dick slapped.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:46 AM
When opportunity knocks on the door you fucking answer it. You don't pussy out. You don't question it. It's fucking opportunity. It’s the opportunity of getting an NFL team because the OWNER wants to move it. I don’t see anyone from San Antonio with a gun to his head.

Pre Hurricane I would have supported San Antonio getting a football team including the Saints. And actually...I would still support them getting one...I just don't support them stealing one from a devastated city...

It's shows an incredible lack of sensitivity.

Post Hurricane....in the event the team will be moved...now is not the time nor the fucking place to be discussing it while you are housing 25k devastated and homeless people from that city. Asshole.

And yes...McCombs is an asshole as well.

I don't see Benson playing it the same way the city of SA is...

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Pre Hurricane I would have supported San Antonio getting a football team including the Saints. And actually...I would still support them getting one...I just don't support them stealing one from a devastated city...

It's shows an incredible lack of sensitivity.

Post Hurricane....in the event the team will be moved...now is not the time nor the fucking place to be discussing it while you are housing 25k devastated and homeless people from that city. Asshole.

And yes...McCombs is an asshole as well.

I don't see Benson playing it the same way the city of SA is...

steal
v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr.

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.
3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.
4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
5. Baseball. To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

None of that is happening. Might want to choose a different verb.

Whottt, if now isn't the best time, when? Seriously. Maybe you don't like that we're talking about it. But too fucking bad. We're talking about it because it's out there. It's a reality. It's a reality that Benson had to deal with from the moment Katrina hit America for the second time.

Just like the thousands who owns businesses in New Orleans who will not go back to re-open them. Business decisions need to be made as quickly as possible.

Whottt, what city do you live in?

whottt
09-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Sorry...the NFL isn't going to touch this one...it would be a PR nightmare..and what you overlook about New Orleans...It is nearly the annual Superbowl Host...The NFL isn't going to hang New Orleans out to dry now...it is one of their most important cities.

And don't go into a lot of self dicksucking about how much better you would support the Saints than the city of New Orleans has...

The Spurs are fucking goldenboys that have only had like 4 losing seasons in in the past 30 fucking years....even with that.....Tim Duncan still had to put a fucking gun to your heads to get you guys to build a new arena, theirs...and you guys bitched and moaned about it the entire way...and that was after ya'll won a title. And you guys don't even sell out that arena in title defense years like also rans like the Kings sell out after major chokes.

I think SA is top contender for an NFL Franchise, because of the Spurs success more than any other reason, and their success is also why people are skittish about how you would support a shitty franchise, but a top contender nontheless...you guys are letting your inferiority complex get in the way here...and your lack of tact is fucking stunning. You guys are about to give yourselves a huge blackeye, and you guys are not going to get the Saints, ever because you are pushing for it at entirely the wrong time. Don't blame anyone else when it happens.

Everytime SA gets a chance to be a big time playya they end up doing shit like this...they prove they have small town heart...case in point...David Robinson is one of the greatest athletes to ever step foot on an NBA court...and any self respecting city with a truly knowledgable fan base would have had a total and complete shitfit over the big media dissing of this phonomenal "on the court" talent..but what you do you guys do? You sell him out to big media bias in a weak attempt to sound knowledgable, never realizing how that clearly shows you are rubesville. Any truly knowledgable town would have declared fucking war on big media for what they did...but SA sells out their marquee citizen.

I like SA...actually it's a lot like New Orleans in that it's one of the truly unique American cities...but you guys are embarrassing when it comes shit like this...

Get it together and have some fucking class would you? You know...that stuff you are always sucking your self off for your basketball team having...when basically it was all due to one man.

Edit: and could you keep your thoughts within the space of 1 post please, instead of 4 consecutive ones...You still haven't earned permanent removal from my ignore list and it's a pain the ass to view that many consecutive posts. Don't worry...I have the attention span to handle a long post.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 03:11 AM
Sorry...the NFL isn't going to touch this one...it would be a PR nightmare..and what you overlook about New Orleans...It is nearly the annual Superbowl Host...The NFL isn't going to hang New Orleans out to dry now...it is one of their most important cities.

What will New Orleans host the superbowl in with my saying the Superbowl needs to be torn down.

And tough shit. The NFL has no say in what Tom Benson does with his team.

And don't go into a lot of self dicksucking about how much better you would support the Saints than the city of New Orleans has...

Um guy, had you ever paid attention to New Orleans and their "support" of the team? 23rd in attendance.

The Spurs are fucking goldenboys that have only had like 4 losing seasons in in the past 30 fucking years....even with that.....Tim Duncan still had to put a fucking gun to your heads to get you guys to build a new arena...and you guys bitched and moaned about it the entire way...and that was after ya'll won a title.

Did you even live in San Antonio in 1998 when Holt laid down the line? Tim Duncan didn't say anything. It was all Peter Holt. He spoke the truth and eventually the city listened. He did the same thing the Maloofs are now doing in Sacramento and the same thing the owners of the Sonics are doing in Seattle.

And how did we bitch and moan when the vote passed with a landslide never before seen in American sporting venue history.

The only bitching was probably location wise.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Whottt, where the fuck do you live so I can get a picture of why you;'re bitter.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 03:18 AM
I like SA...actually it's a lot like New Orleans...but you guys are embarrassing on this thing...

The only things SA and New Orleans have alike are both have strong tourism industries (SA being bigger). Both have storied histories in their evolution. Both are big players in American history.

That pretty much it.

whottt
09-07-2005, 03:26 AM
steal
v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr.

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
2. To get or effect surreptitiously or artfully: steal a kiss; stole the ball from an opponent.
3. To move, carry, or place surreptitiously.
4. To draw attention unexpectedly in (an entertainment), especially by being the outstanding performer: The magician's assistant stole the show with her comic antics.
5. Baseball. To advance safely to (another base) during the delivery of a pitch, without the aid of a base hit, walk, passed ball, or wild pitch.

None of that is happening. Might want to choose a different verb.

Whottt, if now isn't the best time, when? Seriously. Maybe you don't like that we're talking about it. But too fucking bad. We're talking about it because it's out there. It's a reality. It's a reality that Benson had to deal with from the moment Katrina hit America for the second time.

Just like the thousands who owns businesses in New Orleans who will not go back to re-open them. Business decisions need to be made as quickly as possible.

Whottt, what city do you live in?

You don't even talk about permanently moving the freaking Saints right now....it will get no support from anyone outside of greedy SA businessmen and the city of SA itself.

Everyone knows Benson wants to move the Saints...but you just don't it after one of the greatest cities in America has gotten fucking nuked by mother nature.

You guys have legitimate claim to being the next city to get an NFL Franchise...and Jerry Jones doesn't have that much fucking pull to prevent it...get serious...Just be patient and don't paint yourselves as a group of heartless and covetous assholes who will stomp the shit out of a devastated city and it's people just to get an NFL franchise.

What would David Robinson do? He'd do it the right way. He's the best citizen you guys have ever produced...take a page from his book...act like a winner. If San Antonio is an NFL worthy city...then the NFL needs SA more than SA needs the NFL. Act like it.

whottt
09-07-2005, 05:41 AM
Whottt, where the fuck do you live so I can get a picture of why you;'re bitter.

Austin...and I'm not bitter. I love SA...it's my favorite city in the state...I think earlier in the year when this topic was first discussed I was very much in favor of the Spurs getting the Saints. But you guys are being absolutely crass, insensitive and out of line if you go hard to obtain the Saints right now...and you need be called out, ridiculed and smacked around for even thinking about it. It's a bad idea and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. It's not going to go over well with the rest of the country if you attempt this...not just ya'll but any city that attempts it is going to get reamed by the rest of the country...by the media, politically...it's a just a bad idea after this hurricane.

Brodels
09-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Don't worry...I have the attention span to handle a long post.

:lol

whottt
09-07-2005, 06:10 AM
The only things SA and New Orleans have alike are both have strong tourism industries (SA being bigger). Both have storied histories in their evolution. Both are big players in American history.

That pretty much it.

Disagree...New Orleans and San Antonio are historical, cultural and economic twins, not identical twins but closely related...I am surprised you don't see it. The most obvious similarity is that neither of the cities have any discernible reason or excuse for their citizens being poor...To be fair...SA has done more with a lot less than NO.

Their evolutionary paths are nearly identical, it's almost eerie how identical they are...but there is a divergence now, New Orleans cultural evolution had largely stopped...It was assumed San Antonio's had stopped...

But San Antonio just got a shot of 25,000 New Orleansians(sic), many of whom I have a feeling are going to feel more at home in SA than they would any other city in the Nation...You guys are about to get a big boost to your job market, you finally have a pretty decent city gov, and it's going to be a very attractive place to stay.

I have a very strong feeling that the cultural diversity of SA, which is rivaled in all of America only by New Orleans, is about to become even more diversified. If any city is going to show the effects of picking up a Cajun influx...it's going to be San Antonio......Texas could use some good cajun restaurants...and San Antonians affinity for food is well documented.

The anthropolgist in me is extremely fascinated by how this is going to play out for SA...

About the only difference I see between the two cities...New Orleans is a culturally liberal city....SA is culturally conservative...You guys conservatism may not allow the impact of your cajun influx to be shown...but looking at the history of SA's cultural evolution, I doubt that...if it the impact doesn't show it would be the first time in the history of the city it has failed to show the cultural impact of an influx of new citizens.

But meanwhile...you guys stealing the Saints...it's one thing for siblings to fight over the will after the parents die...and New Orleans was willing to steal the Spurs a few years ago...but to do it now would be like stabbing your brother in the back. Don't do it. Just don't do it. It's a bad idea.

Oh...and there will be a major sports stadium in New Orleans one way or the other...it's a key sports hub for all the major sports...and I am pretty sure the Superdome is insured. Plus....they're still going to need a big ass hurricane shelter.

Extra Stout
09-07-2005, 09:32 AM
:rolleyes Oh, please. The histories of San Antonio and New Orleans have little to nothing in common. They're both old, and neither were founded by the English. They diverged from there.

By the way, San Antonio is not a culturally diverse city. It is culturally rich and unique, but it is not diverse. You're taking "diverse" to mean "non-Anglo" when it actually means "has lots of different kinds."

San Antonio has a whole lot of Mexican, a little bit of German... and that's about it.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 11:16 AM
:rolleyes Oh, please. The histories of San Antonio and New Orleans have little to nothing in common. They're both old, and neither were founded by the English. They diverged from there.

By the way, San Antonio is not a culturally diverse city. It is culturally rich and unique, but it is not diverse. You're taking "diverse" to mean "non-Anglo" when it actually means "has lots of different kinds."

San Antonio has a whole lot of Mexican, a little bit of German... and that's about it.
Don't worry. We all expect the shit to come spewing from Whottt's keyboard on a constant basis.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Don't mind whottt...he's simply pissed that those damn refugees of his are stealing his Austin Toros basketball in the Austin Convention Center.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Heartless Benson ponders bad move
By Tom Knott
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published September 7, 2005

http://www.washtimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050907-121612-9086r

Tom Benson, the wealthy owner of the Saints, has his tin cup out while money and relief workers pour into devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast region.

If he has a heart, it is made of stone.

Benson reportedly is entertaining the notion of moving the Saints to San Antonio or Los Angeles on a permanent basis, the team's vice president indicated to a television station in New Orleans.

Arnold Fielkow told WDSU-TV that Benson is maneuvering to strike a deal with the highest bidder and does not care how he is perceived in New Orleans, Louisiana and nationally.

Benson apparently does not care if he goes down in sports history as one of the most reviled owners ever, because that is how it will be.

To even think of abandoning a city in its hour of greatest need is contemptible, and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue undoubtedly will make that clear to Benson in their discussions this week, if he hasn't already.

That Benson has elected not to quell the increasing speculation is in itself revealing.

He finally broke his silence on the topic of where the Saints should play this season yesterday, casting a nod to Baton Rouge, La., "to the extent circumstances allow."

The Saints are not just a car dealership looking to move to another lot. The Saints are one of the most identifiable symbols of New Orleans. Its citizenry has an emotional investment in the team. A special bond exists between municipalities and teams, which owners often ignore or trivialize in their quest to seek a better deal elsewhere.

You could ask Robert Irsay, who forever was tarred with his moving of the Baltimore Colts under the cover of darkness.

Baltimore, though, hardly was a city awash in despair and grief as the Mayflower vans pulled up to the Colts' compound. New Orleans is all about hurt now after being knocked on its backside by Mother Nature. It is dazed, out of it, in the clutches of misery and uncertainty.

You see horror. The unfeeling owner of the city's NFL team sees an opportunity.

"This is like pouring salt into the wound," a state official told the Times-Picayune.

Benson has every right to be concerned about the long-term viability of New Orleans and how it could have a negative impact on the Saints. He expressed these concerns long before Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. And there is no secret about his affinity for San Antonio, where he made his first fortune as an automobile dealer.

But now is not the time to be raising anew the economics of the football business -- not with thousands presumed dead, not with countless others left homeless, not with so many lives on hold in the Gulf Coast region.

Now is not the time to be seeking the warm embrace of San Antonio or Los Angeles, or any locale willing to play ball with a football owner. Now is not the time to be playing high-finance games with a state that is otherwise preoccupied with matters of far graver importance than a football team.

In an editorial, the Times-Picayune pleaded with Benson to have the Saints play at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge this season and stick to his word.

"[Benson] has talked in recent months about how much he loves New Orleans, about his desire to stay, and we take him at his word," the newspaper wrote. "Before Katrina, Saints fans wanted their team to stay. Now they need it to stay."

In an e-mail stuffed with frustration yesterday, WDSU-TV sportscaster Fletcher Mackel wrote that he asked running back Deuce McAllister if the Saints have played their last game in New Orleans.

To which McAllister replied: "I don't know. Nothing would surprise me."

Shame on Benson if he exploits this tragedy to fill his pockets.

TheTruth
09-07-2005, 01:03 PM
So, Benson is considering L.A. as well. That really sucks.

Obstructed_View
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
What does any of this have to do with the Spurs? Since all these topics keep getting put in the Spurs forum, it seems like a reasonable question. If it's not a reasonable question, then I'll go ahead and let it be known that I'm embarassed for any San Antonio residents that are hoping to get the Saints while the city of New Orleans lies under fifteen feet of sewer water. I'd just as soon any discussion of it not take place here because I'm disgusted by it.

JsnSA
09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
All this bitching is pointless.

The Saints will not be moving permanently unless the league truly feels that New Orleans and its immediate area can not viably support an NFL team there for the next few years.

If that is the case...then the Saints moving will not be heartless in any way...it will be a necessity for the team/business to survive.

Its as simple as that. And anyone that thinks the NFL going to keep a team in New Orleans if they can't support that team is an idiot. It won't happen. The NFL is a business....not a charity. They may donate some money here and there...but there is no way in hell a year or two from now they are going to support Benson's team for New Orleans if New Orleans can't support the team itself.

That being said I bet the relocated team would NOT use the Saints name once the move is permanent and the Saints name will be reserved for when New Orleans can eventually support a team again (of course this is IF it turns out they wont be able to in the next several years).

Another point I would like to make is that even though San Antonio's officials can have their heads up their asses at times....overall they are pretty decent people. For example...Mayor Hardberger was very quick to invite Katrina victims to SA. In fact he was one of the first mayors in a city outside Louisiana to invite victims here.

I seriously doubt that Hardberger and the other SA officials are trying to put together a deal with the Saints to keep them from playing in LA this year. Most likely they are saying something like IF you cant play in New Orleans or the nearby area...we would like you to stay and play your games in SA.

So basically they are probably competing against other locations outside of Louisiana ...not necessarily New Orleans or Louisiana itself. If thats the case there is NOTHING wrong with that.

I certainly havent heard about them trying to get the Saints to play in SA over Louisiana...and unless some of you have heard something more specific to that...you might want to consider ShuttingTFU. I'm reading all this bitching about SA being so heartless and classless but those people complaining have NO FUCKING IDEA if its really true. Until it is....you might not want to be so quick to rag on the people and city who have taken in quite a lot of Katrina victims and are doing the best they can to take care of them.

CharlieMac
09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Benson is a businessman, what do you all expect. How is it heartless to move a team that he OWNS.

Face reality. That region does not NEED an NFL as that article implied and this is not the time to be worrying about NFL games. Unless I'm wrong here and teh city will be in much better condition if the Saints can manage to stay there. It's tragic what happened, but it's time to move on whether it's here LA or whereever.

Extra Stout
09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
If the authorities ever start shooting looters, San Antonio's civic leaders will all be dead.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2005, 01:29 PM
What does any of this have to do with the Spurs? Since all these topics keep getting put in the Spurs forum, it seems like a reasonable question. If it's not a reasonable question, then I'll go ahead and let it be known that I'm embarassed for any San Antonio residents that are hoping to get the Saints while the city of New Orleans lies under fifteen feet of sewer water. I'd just as soon any discussion of it not take place here because I'm disgusted by it.

It relates to the Spurs only in that it's another major sports team that may possibly be moving to town. It's a huge topic of discussion, and this late in the NBA offseason, it's not bothering the Spurs forum.

whottt
09-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Geezus...not being founded by the English is hardly unique in America....New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania weren't founded by the English either...

Let's start with the fact that both cities have a direct ethnic link to the Canary Islanders...

Let's start with the fact that the most famous historical segment of both cities...comes from Spain...The Alamo in your case...and the French Quarter in New Orleans case...

Yes ace, the French didn't build the French Quarter we see today...the Spanish did...when New Orleans belonged to them.

Both cities have uniqueness given to them by their city planners because of River Floods...

There's a lot more to it than that...but what is the point?

Wrong...there is more to culture than just having a bunch of mexicans or blacks...

You are the one with the dim view...not I.

And even using your view...just about every city in the US has a little bit of German culture...German heritage being the #1 ethnic link for more Americans than any other...largely true even in New Orleans...who also had a major influx of German immigrants. So basically that's not even a noteworthy claim...

Just go take a walk around your city sometime, if indeed it is your city...it might help you pull your head out.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Benson is a businessman, what do you all expect. How is it heartless to move a team that he OWNS.

Face reality. That region does not NEED an NFL as that article implied and this is not the time to be worrying about NFL games. Unless I'm wrong here and teh city will be in much better condition if the Saints can manage to stay there. It's tragic what happened, but it's time to move on whether it's here LA or whereever.

New Orleans has done a pretty good job of supporting a team that has sucked ass from day 1. The Saints suck and always have...that's the reason they appear to have no support.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Heartless Benson ponders bad move
By Tom Knott
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published September 7, 2005

http://www.washtimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050907-121612-9086r

Tom Benson, the wealthy owner of the Saints, has his tin cup out while money and relief workers pour into devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast region.

If he has a heart, it is made of stone.

Benson reportedly is entertaining the notion of moving the Saints to San Antonio or Los Angeles on a permanent basis, the team's vice president indicated to a television station in New Orleans.

Arnold Fielkow told WDSU-TV that Benson is maneuvering to strike a deal with the highest bidder and does not care how he is perceived in New Orleans, Louisiana and nationally.

Benson apparently does not care if he goes down in sports history as one of the most reviled owners ever, because that is how it will be.

To even think of abandoning a city in its hour of greatest need is contemptible, and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue undoubtedly will make that clear to Benson in their discussions this week, if he hasn't already.

That Benson has elected not to quell the increasing speculation is in itself revealing.

He finally broke his silence on the topic of where the Saints should play this season yesterday, casting a nod to Baton Rouge, La., "to the extent circumstances allow."

The Saints are not just a car dealership looking to move to another lot. The Saints are one of the most identifiable symbols of New Orleans. Its citizenry has an emotional investment in the team. A special bond exists between municipalities and teams, which owners often ignore or trivialize in their quest to seek a better deal elsewhere.

You could ask Robert Irsay, who forever was tarred with his moving of the Baltimore Colts under the cover of darkness.

Baltimore, though, hardly was a city awash in despair and grief as the Mayflower vans pulled up to the Colts' compound. New Orleans is all about hurt now after being knocked on its backside by Mother Nature. It is dazed, out of it, in the clutches of misery and uncertainty.

You see horror. The unfeeling owner of the city's NFL team sees an opportunity.

"This is like pouring salt into the wound," a state official told the Times-Picayune.

Benson has every right to be concerned about the long-term viability of New Orleans and how it could have a negative impact on the Saints. He expressed these concerns long before Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. And there is no secret about his affinity for San Antonio, where he made his first fortune as an automobile dealer.

But now is not the time to be raising anew the economics of the football business -- not with thousands presumed dead, not with countless others left homeless, not with so many lives on hold in the Gulf Coast region.

Now is not the time to be seeking the warm embrace of San Antonio or Los Angeles, or any locale willing to play ball with a football owner. Now is not the time to be playing high-finance games with a state that is otherwise preoccupied with matters of far graver importance than a football team.

In an editorial, the Times-Picayune pleaded with Benson to have the Saints play at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge this season and stick to his word.

"[Benson] has talked in recent months about how much he loves New Orleans, about his desire to stay, and we take him at his word," the newspaper wrote. "Before Katrina, Saints fans wanted their team to stay. Now they need it to stay."

In an e-mail stuffed with frustration yesterday, WDSU-TV sportscaster Fletcher Mackel wrote that he asked running back Deuce McAllister if the Saints have played their last game in New Orleans.

To which McAllister replied: "I don't know. Nothing would surprise me."

Shame on Benson if he exploits this tragedy to fill his pockets.

Keyword: heartless

JohnnyBlaze, your thoughts? Does it have more credibility coming from a journalist?

I am just telling you that America isn't going to like it, at all. Don't kill the messenger.

MannyisGod, is always championing the poor...until someone waves a football team in front of his face...then he's Mr. Capitalist. Are you going to schedule your trip to Afghanistan around football season? LOL.

whottt
09-07-2005, 02:19 PM
And for all you guys that think Tagliabue can't impact this decision...ask Jerry Jones what Tagliabue can do...Jones pissed off Tagliabue in the mid 90's and Tagliabue killed his dynasty will rule changes to the game and the NBA's financial structure...Jerry thought he was untouchable too...but Tagliabue knows how to manipulate his league. He's not going to be in favor of moving the Saints right now.

Extra Stout
09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Geezus...not being founded by the English is hardly unique in America....New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania weren't founded by the English either...Which makes the SA-NO connection that much less remarkable.

Let's start with the fact that both cities have a direct ethnic link to the Canary Islanders...New Orleans also has ethnic links to the West Africans, Native Americans, mainland Spanish, French, British, Italians, Germans, Creoles, Filipinos, Croatians, and Greeks. THAT is diversity.

New Orleans is (was?) culturally unique in the entire United States. It was one of the great immigrant ports. It attracted more settlers from the north than from the South. A person from Brooklyn could go to New Orleans in the 1800's and find the surroundings surprisingly familiar. New Orleans was one of America's largest and richest cities in the 19th century. It was a thriving city long before it became part of the United States.

San Antonio was a capital outpost in the Spanish borderlands. It was founded as a mission town in one of the few verdant valleys in the semiarid Texas colony. The purpose of the settlement was to strengthen Spanish claims to the land against French incursions. It remained primarily a military outpost until it became part of the United States. Only then did the city start to grow, as a service and distribution center for westward expansion, sort of a St. Louis of Texas.

Not much in common there.

Let's start with the fact that the most famous historical segment of both cities...comes from Spain...The Alamo in your case...and the French Quarter in New Orleans case...

Yes ace, the French didn't build the French Quarter we see today...the Spanish did...when New Orleans belonged to them. There is Spanish influence in the French Quarter, notably in the repeating arches and the ironwork (which itself is Arab-influenced) but the district was built by French-speaking settlers, even though Spain was in charge 1762-1803.

The recalcitrance of the New Orleansians in cleaving to their French culture is a big reason Spain sent the Isleños to settle St. Bernard Parish in the 1780's.

Both cities have uniqueness given to them by their city planners because of River Floods...:rolleyes Wow, that's impressive. What city built on a river doesn't have that? The San Antonio River is just a ditch in comparison to the Mississippi.

There's a lot more to it than that...but what is the point? Good question. Why am I arguing with somebody is clearly has no idea what he's talking about? If I had to pick a city that is a "twin" to San Antonio, the closest one would be Albuquerque, but really they're more like cousins, because Albuquerque is more like El Paso.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I said: "By the way, San Antonio is not a culturally diverse city. It is culturally rich and unique, but it is not diverse. You're taking 'diverse' to mean 'non-Anglo' when it actually means 'has lots of different kinds.'"

whott replied:
Wrong...there is more to culture than just having a bunch of mexicans or blacks...

This indicates one of the following:
A) whottt does not agree that San Antonio is culturally rich or unique
B) whottt has poor reading comprehension skills

Then I made the point that San Antonio's cultural diversity is very limited, and mentioned the mild German influence.

whottt replied:
And even using your view...just about every city in the US has a little bit of German culture...German heritage being the #1 ethnic link for more Americans than any other...largely true even in New Orleans...who also had a major influx of German immigrants. So basically that's not even a noteworthy claim...

This indicates:
1)whottt inadvertantly agreed with me about SA's underwhelming diversity
2)whottt has lapsed into incoherence and is going on rabbit trails

Just go take a walk around your city sometime, if indeed it is your city...it might help you pull your head out.I lived in SA for 18 years. I live in Houston now. The cultural diversity in Houston = SA x 100. Of all the cities I've visited, San Antonio is among the least diverse.

And it certainly is anything but a twin to New Orleans.

The Texas city most similar to New Orleans is Galveston.
The Louisiana city most similar to San Antonio... umm... there isn't one really.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Woah, I'm not on either camp on this issue other than I oppose a stadium funded by tax dollars. The Saints can go wherever they choose. They are a private business, not something the people of NO own.

I just know they aren't going to come to San Antonio as a permenant team.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 02:48 PM
:lmao

I love ES. I think he, Scott, and FWD form the best trio of posters on the board.

Whottt on the other hand is on par with TRO and NBADan. You must be proud Whottt!

CosmicCowboy
09-07-2005, 02:49 PM

http://www.davidraemorris.com/baghead2.jpg

The Saints are one of the most identifiable symbols of New Orleans. Its citizenry has an emotional investment in the team.

Extra Stout
09-07-2005, 03:03 PM

I love ES. I think he, Scott, and FWD form the best trio of posters on the board.

Whottt on the other hand is on par with TRO and NBADan. You must be proud Whottt!I'm not smart, I just know how to use Google, and how to belittle people.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Keyword: heartless

JohnnyBlaze, your thoughts? Does it have more credibility coming from a journalist?

I am just telling you that America isn't going to like it, at all. Don't kill the messenger.

Um, Hootie...It's a column. It's his opinion. It's not his credibility that comes into question. It's yours since you do nothing but give us reasons to question it with every post.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
FOX News is reporting 400,000 jobs will be lost in New Orleans.

Again, I don't see how Benson would be willing to go back to New Orleans with:

1) Having to torn the Superdome down.

2) New Orleans losing 400,000 jobs.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Well, when you shut down a city for 6 months, sure, 400K job loss is bound to happen. What matters is what happens when it opens back up and there is no sign that the state and the Feds are going to force the abadonment of the city. Thus, it is highly likely that tremendous amounts of resources will be devoted to bringing the city back to life and to upgrading the levees.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, when you shut down a city for 6 months, sure, 400K job loss is bound to happen. What matters is what happens when it opens back up and there is no sign that the state and the Feds are going to force the abadonment of the city. Thus, it is highly likely that tremendous amounts of resources will be devoted to bringing the city back to life and to upgrading the levees.

Do you even think they'll have the same population on the first day New Orleans is back to 100%?

They'll probably have half of what they had the week before Katrina. They're economy is be greatly weaker in a year, two years, three years and so on.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 04:22 PM
There's nothing $200 billion or so can't bring back to life.

Congress just approved $50 bil today.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
There's nothing $200 billion or so can't bring back to life.

Congress just approved $50 bil today.

200 billion? No way New Orleans is getting 200 billion.

And a lot of the money they get is to clean up the horrible mess that will be left behind once the water recedes. Not to mention much of that money is going to the cities along the gulf coast that have been fucked up preety damn bad.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
...and that money to clean up the mess will create new jobs as well as bring the population and some of the 'old jobs' back. The French Quarter is still intact, so it shouldn't be long before the crowds are back once the city is 'reopened'.

When all is said and done, I would not be surprised to see this disaster result in about $200 bil in federal and state govt spending.

NO is not going away. You might as well forget about SA landing the Saints.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 04:39 PM
...and that money to clean up the mess will create new jobs as well as bring the population and some of the 'old jobs' back. The French Quarter is still intact, so it shouldn't be long before the crowds are back once the city is 'reopened'.

When all is said and done, I would not be surprised to see this disaster result in about $200 bil in federal and state govt spending.

NO is not going away. You might as well forget about SA landing the Saints.

Of course New Orleans isn't going away.

But its never going to be the same. Sure it'll have the French Qt. and Mardi Gras and all that jazz. But they will not regain the 400,000 in 5 years maybe not in 10 years.

200 billion overall to fix up New Orleans and all the cities along the gulf and elsewhere, yeah. Seems about right.

But if you think people are going to wait 6, 7, or 8 months in some shelter and not go out and look for a job and residence, you're crazy.

New Orleans will never be the same.

As for the Saints. With that huge of a job loss, and the fact that Superdome will have to be torn down. Benson will move them. Whether to San Antonio, Los Angeles or where ever.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 04:43 PM
When you factor in the money to be made there as well as the sentimentality of people, it's not hard to see the city regain most of its prior population within a couple of years.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
When you factor in the money to be made there as well as the sentimentality of people, it's not hard to see the city regain most of its prior population within a couple of years.

How so?

What money is there to be made? All those homes will need to be torn down. Miles of land will be vacant.

Where exactly is the money to be made?

Build on land no one will probably buy for fear of an actual CAT 5 head on hit (Katrina was a CAT 4 and NO got the weak end of it and look what happened).

Again, where is the money to make?

It's safe to say Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio will see a sharp population growth in the year 2005.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 04:55 PM
How so?

What money is there to be made? All those homes will need to be torn down. Miles of land will be vacant.

Where exactly is the money to be made?

Who is going to pay for the cleanup? Who is going to work the cleanup? That alone is going to be huge. And for better or worse, there will be a lot of new construction going up down there. Undoubtedly $ will flow into the improvement of the levee system.

NO remains an important outpost on the MS river and that's not going to disappear long term. Neither is the desire for young and old alike to visit the Quarter.

Build on land no one will probably buy for fear of an actual CAT 5 head on hit (Katrina was a CAT 4 and NO got the weak end of it and look what happened).

Again, where is the money to make?

It's safe to say Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio will see a sharp population growth in the year 2005.

Sure, within the year. But when NO is opened back up people will move back, either chasing $, returning home, or both and $ will follow them back into the city.

MiNuS
09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
San Antonio Saints? Nah.

St Anthony Saints. Nah,doesn't sound good.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Who is going to pay for the cleanup? Who is going to work the cleanup? That alone is going to be huge. And for better or worse, there will be a lot of new construction going up down there. Undoubtedly $ will flow into the improvement of the levee system.

NO remains an important outpost on the MS river and that's not going to disappear long term. Neither is the desire for young and old alike to visit the Quarter.

Sure, within the year. But when NO is opened back up people will move back, either chasing $, returning home, or both and $ will follow them back into the city.

Again, what new construction? Who's going to build on the land? This will happen again, whether it's 2 years from now or 20.

New Orleans needs to be smart with how they handle the rebuilding. They should make it smaller, not so wide-spread.

Sure many will move back but not not as many as you think.

There's people in freakin' Salt Lake City who have said they're going to retsrat their lives there. Salt Lake City!

And there's evacuees all over the country. Once they get jobs and housing, they're not going to return.

CosmicCowboy
09-07-2005, 05:20 PM
It's absolutely crazy to rebuild the flooded sections...but you just know they will do it because nobody has the political balls to throw the bullshit flag. Maybe they will hit 100,000 dead next time when they get a 5 instead of a 3...idiots.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Again, what new construction? Who's going to build on the land? This will happen again, whether it's 2 years from now or 20.

Some residential, some multi-family, and especially some industrial. New Orleans is not going to stop being an important port on the MS river nor important to oil and gas operations in the Gulf.

Plenty of people will want to live in NO once it is cleaned up. The Feds will pay for a large portion of this, as well as those who were insured.

New Orleans needs to be smart with how they handle the rebuilding. They should make it smaller, not so wide-spread.

Sure. Probably some of the areas more prone to heavy flooding will be rezoned to exclude any significant residential density.

Sure many will move back but not not as many as you think.

There's people in freakin' Salt Lake City who have said they're going to retsrat their lives there. Salt Lake City!

And there's evacuees all over the country. Once they get jobs and housing, they're not going to return.

Yeah right. The $ is going to flow into the port there as well as the infrastructure. That alone is going to create thousands of jobs. People will find a way back.

This country needs NO on multiple levels.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah right. The $ is going to flow into the port there as well as the infrastructure. That alone is going to create thousands of jobs. People will find a way back.

This country needs NO on multiple levels.

The money will flow in New Orleans and all of the gulf coast area.

But it'll take 5-10 years before New Orleans reaches a Corpus Christi type level in terms of economy and population.

Marcus Bryant
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM

But it'll take 5-10 years before New Orleans reaches a Corpus Christi type level in terms of economy and population.

Nah. 2 years. In any event, the Saints will never be able to leave that city without causing some serious negative PR for the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see the league work with the Saints to do whatever it takes to keep them there.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Nah. 2 years. In any event, the Saints will never be able to leave that city without causing some serious negative PR for the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see the league work with the Saints to do whatever it takes to keep them there.

Or the league could promise the city a team once they're back at the level of supporting one.

The NFL is not going to keep a dying horse alive just because PETA is outside their door protesting.

You put the horse out of its pain. You have to kill it.

The NFL will not survive in New Orleans for the next 5 to 10 years.

It was barely surviving before Katrina.

If the NFL wants to spin any negative PR, they just promise to give New Orleans a new team with the name Saints as soon as New Orleans can really support financially, not just emontionally.

exstatic
09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Or the league could promise the city a team once they're back at the level of supporting one.

8 divisions, 4 teams per division. There won't be any expansion for a LONG time. Re-alignment was a bloodletting last time, and I don't think the owners are up for it anytime soon. 32 is a nice round number.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
8 divisions, 4 teams per division. There won't be any expansion for a LONG time. Re-alignment was a bloodletting last time, and I don't think the owners are up for it anytime soon. 32 is a nice round number.

Exactly, NO's won't be reay for any pro sports team for a very long time. By that time LA will have a stadium to house a team. The NFL could add two expansion teams.

Obstructed_View
09-07-2005, 06:54 PM
It relates to the Spurs only in that it's another major sports team that may possibly be moving to town. It's a huge topic of discussion, and this late in the NBA offseason, it's not bothering the Spurs forum.
Okay, then someone can send me an email when the discussion is over, because it's bothering me. I don't come here to read about a city that wasn't able to legitimately compete for an NFL team trying to steal one from another city before the bodies are even counted. If Red McCombs believes the Saints should be in San Antonio it's funny that he never believed it when he owned the Vikings. This isn't a Spurs topic, and anybody that wants to discuss it should do so in the proper place, so the rest of us don't have to be subjected to it.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
How about you just don't open this one thread?

There's no other threads about the Saints in the Spurs forum.

Is it impossible for you just not to read the thread, or just looking at the title kills you?
:rolleyes

exstatic
09-07-2005, 07:02 PM
I believe that the Marcus Bryant patented expression is:

scroll

SequSpur
09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
George Bush doesn't like black people.

Paul Tagliabue doesn't like hispanics.

:flipoff

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!

Kori changed her avatar.

timvp
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24788

whottt
09-07-2005, 08:58 PM

Whottt on the other hand is on par with TRO and NBADan. You must be proud Whottt!

WTF? Stout got his ass kicked and he fucking knows it...he even admitted he doesn't have much knowledge on the subject.

What you think his brilliant cultural analysis of...San Antonio is a lot mexican and little german is a good one? San Antonio and New Orleans are both old?

You think those are well done statements? Do you think they are accurate of San Antonio...either historically or culturally? Forget his asscovering in the reponse post...I didn't even get started smacking him down...

It's pure and utter...

I could easily say about New Orleans...

It's just a lot of black and a little white..

That's all he did.

I was going to wait until he learns the difference between culture and ethnicity because it seems to fuck him up.

As for FWDT...get real...FWDT does a good job when he sticks to stats but he knows I've owned him often...right now he is in full retreat from his own political party under the guise of trying not to be partisan...but he knows deep in his heart which one is the attack dog in this crisis...and which is being forced to defend itself from BS allegations while it's trying to clean up the greatest natural disaster in US history.

And those Nbadan comparisons piss me off...the next time I present blatantly false bullshit as fact, let me know.,..

whottt
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Um, Hootie...It's a column. It's his opinion. It's not his credibility that comes into question. It's yours since you do nothing but give us reasons to question it with every post.

LOL..Question my crediblity all you want...but just don't be surprised when America piles on you en masse....and you guys are going to deserve it.

He basically said the same things I did...except he's putting it on Benson...but then again, he's not sitting on a forum with a bunch of San Antonians...otherwise he'd have his guns aimed at ya'll. Regardless of whatever crediblity I may or may not have...you are guys are going to be the recipients of a nationwide pileon.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 09:48 PM

Do you just pull year numbers out of your ass?

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 10:12 PM
No more than you, but I also watch the coverage.

TheWriter
09-07-2005, 10:14 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Don Harris just said that barring any major change of mind by the NFL, the Saints will play all their home games here. Sans the first home game.

MannyIsGod
09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
No more than you, but I also watch the coverage.
I haven't said anything about the recovery time for the specific reason I don't have a clue. You keep mouthing off about it though. I guess with your made up figures anything is possible, however.

CharlieMac
09-07-2005, 10:56 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Don Harris just said that barring any major change of mind by the NFL, the Saints will play all their home games here. Sans the first home game.

I thought he said 4?

gameFACE
09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Here is an article about how the NFL sees the fan possible fan base in SA:

NEW: NFL confident Saints would draw fans to Alamodome
Web Posted: 09/07/2005 12:56 PM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

An NFL spokesman today dispelled rumors that the league fears attendance would be low if it allows the New Orleans Saints to play home games at the 65,000-seat Alamodome this season.

“We are sure San Antonio would do a fine job (with attendance),” Greg Aiello, NFL vice president of public relations, said before adding that the league’s primary concern is doing all it can to assist with the recovery of hurricane-ravaged Louisiana.

With that in mind, Aiello said LSU’s 92,000-seat Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La., remains the league’s No. 1 option for Saints home games this season.

“Louisiana officials are making it very clear that they think it would be important to return the Saints to the region as soon as possible,” Aiello said.

“The question is when will that be,” Aiello added. “(LSU officials) will have to tell us. (Saints owner) Tom Benson and the Saints have said the same thing.”

Baton Rouge is home to thousands of evacuees from New Orleans and also serves as a base for rescue operations.

The league has switched the Saints’ home opener against the New York Giants from the hurricane-damaged Superdome to Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 19.

The Saints’ next home game is set for Oct. 2 against Buffalo.

“Right now, the goal is LSU and Baton Rouge. Whether that will be ready for Oct. 2, we don’t know yet. But we are in discussions about it.”

Aiello reiterated that San Antonio remains an option for “some” Saints games this season.

“It depends on the circumstances,” Aiello said. “We have to see what the issues are in terms of playing in Louisiana and what the alternatives are.

“(Baton Rouge and San Antonio) are among the options. There may be others. We aren’t ruling anything out right now. We have to work through the options and make a decision.”

One option that has been ruled out by the league is forcing the Saints to play their home games at the stadiums of division opponents. Playing home games at the stadiums of non-division opponents hasn’t been ruled out but isn’t preferred, Aiello said.

Ailello also said there is no chance the Saints will play in Los Angeles this season. The NFL has made no secret of its desire to place a team in Los Angeles.

It's good to see that people outside of SA actually believe there could be fan support unlike many San Antonians.............

gameFACE
09-07-2005, 11:09 PM
BREAKING NEWS

Did you hear this on the newscast? I don't see it on the WOAI website yet. I hope this was done as a purely temporary deal for now. SA doesn't need to commit anymore political suicide. If it's only four games I hope there will be a few at Tiger Stadium. In any case i'll be in line to buy tickets.

timvp
09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
BREAKING NEWS

BS.

I watched the sports part of the news and he said no such thing.

blackbucket
09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by TheWriter
BREAKING NEWS

I thought he said 4?

I heard four as well (and 3 at LSU).

TheWriter
09-08-2005, 12:40 AM
BS.

I watched the sports part of the news and he said no such thing.

He said this like 3-4 minutes into the show.

That's exactly what he said.

Then he came on to do the sports and said 4.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2005, 01:02 AM

BREAKING NEWS

Somethings never change, do they Buddy?

TheWriter
09-08-2005, 01:22 AM

BREAKING NEWS

Somethings never change, do they Buddy?

Some things do change.

TheWriter
09-08-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't have to prove anything. If anyone wants to email or call up WOAI and ask what Don Harris said 2-3 minutes into the 10pm newscast go ahead. No one will because it'll prove me right.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 01:25 AM
I can just go into the database and watch the news.

So you are saying that he said it 3-4 minutes into the hour? (I don't want to go watch the whole thing)

TheWriter
09-08-2005, 01:27 AM
I can just go into the database and watch the news.

So you are saying that he said it 3-4 minutes into the hour? (I don't want to go watch the whole thing)

No. WOAI did a few evacuee stories (two or three, can't remember) then Delaine started talking about the Saints and introduced Don for a teaser. Don then said barring any major change of mind by the NFL in the next... blah blah, San Antonio will host the Saints home games."

It's about 2-3 minutes into the newscast.

Kori Ellis
09-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay. They don't have the newscast in the database yet. I'll look in the morning. Not because I'm doubting you (I actually believe you) but so that I can give people the actual quote.

howbouthemspurs
09-08-2005, 02:10 AM
that will be nice if it did happened

Extra Stout
09-08-2005, 09:04 AM
WTF? Stout got his ass kicked and he fucking knows it...he even admitted he doesn't have much knowledge on the subject. Dude... I took a shit this morning that was smarter than you.

It's just amazing that with ten minutes of research any halfway intelligent person can reveal you for the half-insane sheltered ignorant old fart you are.

You're not just my bitch, though; you're the whole forum's bitch. We await your next incoherent rant which you will pull straight out of your ass.

For your next trick, perhaps you could explain to us how your home city of Austin is a near-twin to Tuscaloosa, Alabama because they're both... uh, uh college towns and uh, they have ag-school archrivals! Or maybe you'll tell us Marshall Faulk and Richard Simmons were separated at birth... because they're both from New Orleans!

And those Nbadan comparisons piss me off...the next time I present blatantly false bullshit as fact, let me know.,..Umm... that describes the majority of your posts.

whottt
09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Dude... I took a shit this morning that was smarter than you.

Too bad you can't use that shit for brains...You seriously need it.

It's just amazing that with ten minutes of research any halfway intelligent person can reveal you for the half-insane sheltered ignorant old fart you are.

No, it's amazing that you think 10 minutes of research makes you knowledgable on a subject.

You're not just my bitch, though; you're the whole forum's bitch. We await your next incoherent rant which you will pull straight out of your ass.

I pulled nothing out of my ass...you are just fucking ignorant...

Not only are you fucking ignorant of the cities you have lived your entire life in...but you are ignorant of the Mexican Culture as well.

It's old, it's a lot mexican and a little bit german. What a fucking idiot.

Spoken like a true Redneck...who thinks Houston is a cultural Mecca.

For your next trick, perhaps you could explain to us how your home city of Austin is a near-twin to Tuscaloosa, Alabama because they're both... uh, uh college towns and uh, they have ag-school archrivals! Or maybe you'll tell us Marshall Faulk and Richard Simmons were separated at birth... because they're both from New Orleans!

Umm... that describes the majority of your posts.

No, for my next trick I think I'll toss out 2 more sentences and send you off Googling for another 3 hours so you can attempt to justify being stupid in the first place.

j-6
09-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Not to interrupt the whottt/Extra Stout sideshow, but did anyone get confirmation on the Alamodome getting four Saints home games?

kskonn
09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I heard that but it was not confirmed. However I did see on Sportcenter that they interviewed some of the saints players and they wanted to play in San Antonio. They said they wished the leauge would let them play in San Antonio since all of their families and a lot of their fans would be staying in San Antonio.

It was interesting to me because they were saying the opposite of a lot of the people in the forum. We have all assumed that they would want to play in Baton rouge to be close to their fans. Well their fans are not there anymore, they are here.

TOP-CHERRY
09-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I heard that but it was not confirmed. However I did see on Sportcenter that they interviewed some of the saints players and they wanted to play in San Antonio. They said they wished the leauge would let them play in San Antonio since all of their families and a lot of their fans would be staying in San Antonio.

It was interesting to me because they were saying the opposite of a lot of the people in the forum. We have all assumed that they would want to play in Baton rouge to be close to their fans. Well their fans are not there anymore, they are here.
Actually, we haven't "assumed" it. They said they would love to play closer to home.

I haven't heard any of them say they would like to play in SA. But if you say they did...