PDA

View Full Version : To Pimp a Butterfly

redzero
03-21-2015, 01:34 AM
Who here has listened to Kendrick Lamar's new album? Opinion?

I think it is pretty good. I am not prepared to declare it better than good kid, but that might change with more listens.

Venti Quattro
03-21-2015, 01:36 AM
I have. It's on Spotify. It's pretty fucking good.

Whether it's better than good kid is pretty much debatable and down to personal preference, but for me I think it's better than good kid.

Malik Hairston
03-21-2015, 01:55 AM
It's a hot album, and it's a smart movement for him to push, tbh, trying to become the face of Black people..

J Cole tried it, but he's corny and doesn't possess the upbringing or background that Kendrick does..there aren't any other mainstream rappers trying to push the agenda(excluding older guys like Killer Mike, etc), it's mostly party/fuck songs nowadays, there's a spot available for a mainstream rapper to push the Black semi-political agenda..

Venti Quattro
03-21-2015, 02:48 AM
I just forgot... By default this should be the better album since Drake isn't on it unlike on good kid.

Avante
03-21-2015, 03:31 AM
Too many of the young black artists get too wrapped up in trying to make a statement, push a movement. Stuff that won't stand the test of time. They try too hard.

They try to make it too obvious they are zeroing in on a very select audience.

Malik Hairston
03-21-2015, 03:33 AM
Too many of the young black artists get too wrapped up in trying to make a statement, push a movement. Stuff that won't stand the test of time. They try too hard.

I agree, tbh..

Drake >>> Kendrick Lamar..

cd021
03-21-2015, 03:42 AM
It's a hot album, and it's a smart movement for him to push, tbh, trying to become the face of Black people..

J Cole tried it, but he's corny and doesn't possess the upbringing or background that Kendrick does..there aren't any other mainstream rappers trying to push the agenda(excluding older guys like Killer Mike, etc), it's mostly party/fuck songs nowadays, there's a spot available for a mainstream rapper to push the Black semi-political agenda..

J.Cole is solid but its hit or miss from track to track. Fire Squad is on my list for top Hip-Hop songs so far this year. Cole has been fairly conscious for a while now. I think he's better at it than most. "Runaway" is probably as good if not better than any Kendrick Lamar track on this record.

As for Lamar, Its a hard listen. So far I'm on the fence with it. "For Free", "Blacker the Berry" (another on my list for top Hip-Hop songs, so far this year) and "I" are all great the rest are going to require 2 or 3 more listens to really get a feel.

Avante
03-21-2015, 03:45 AM
I agree, tbh..

I won't even try and pretend I'm into rap/hip hop, I know a little, not much, so this might have already been done.

Someone needs to write a song about why daddy doesn't live with mommy. That is the big problem in black America, moms trying to raise sons all alone. That's why we see the crime, the problems. No way my wife could have handled my son at even 16, and they both would know that. A whole other deal with dad who can still kick sons ass is around.

Johnny wants to run the streets, mom can't make him stay home. Dad would, set your black ass down be-fo I knock it down.

Buddy Mignon
03-21-2015, 08:12 AM
I won't even try and pretend I'm into rap/hip hop, I know a little, not much, so this might have already been done.

Someone needs to write a song about why daddy doesn't live with mommy. That is the big problem in black America, moms trying to raise sons all alone. That's why we see the crime, the problems. No way my wife could have handled my son at even 16, and they both would know that. A whole other deal with dad who can still kick sons ass is around.

Johnny wants to run the streets, mom can't make him stay home. Dad would, set your black ass down be-fo I knock it down.

am9BqZ6eA5c

cantthinkofanything
03-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Who here has listened to Kendrick Lamar's new album? Opinion? I think it is pretty good. I am not prepared to declare it better than good kid, but that might change with more listens.Damn. I really though this was going to be like an AnnSui thread.

Infinite_limit
03-21-2015, 11:04 AM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/wigger-20888.jpg

IronMexican
03-22-2015, 10:32 AM
>I remember you was conflicted, misusing your influence

:cry

redzero
03-22-2015, 06:06 PM
This album gets better with each listen. Goddamn.

IronMexican
03-22-2015, 08:38 PM
This album gets better with each listen. Goddamn.

For real doe

Regret not going to his signing yesterday. Heard it wasn't even that packed.

DMX7
03-22-2015, 09:14 PM
I agree, tbh..

TRUTH

m>s
03-23-2015, 12:49 AM
Red zero you still post?

IronMexican
03-24-2015, 10:26 AM
People are really complaining about the length of the album? This doesn't feel like an 80 minute album. On first listen, maybe.

redzero
03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
^ I guess those people don't listen to the extended edition of good kid.

ohmwrecker
03-24-2015, 02:44 PM

They try to make it too obvious they are zeroing in on a very select audience.

James Brown would disagree.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2015, 03:33 PM
This gentleman spits white hot fire.

I don't even really enjoy much hip-hop but this album is really fantastic. It starts off sounding like an old 90's G-Funk track then moves on to incorporating jazz and spoken word. Good stuff. I won't say it's better than Kriss Kross' Da Bomb, but it's in that same "higher level" of rap.

IronMexican
03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
This gentleman spits white hot fire.

I don't even really enjoy much hip-hop but this album is really fantastic. It starts off sounding like an old 90's G-Funk track then moves on to incorporating jazz and spoken word. Good stuff. I won't say it's better than Kriss Kross' Da Bomb, but it's in that same "higher level" of rap.
Where the fuck have you been?

DMX7
03-26-2015, 02:25 PM
I don't like it at all.

Spur|n|Austin
03-26-2015, 03:59 PM
I dig it, I think 'Alright' is my favorite track so far.

DarrinS
03-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Who?