PDA

View Full Version : 'Selfish' Finley joining Spurs to win his title

ducks
09-04-2005, 11:13 PM
'Selfish' Finley joining Spurs to win his title

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - In the end, Michael Finley didn't want to play with Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in Miami. He also didn't want a reunion in Phoenix with his good buddy, Steve Nash.

Finley couldn't beat the San Antonio Spurs while he was with the Mavericks. So he joined them, figuring it was his best bet to win an NBA title.

The 32-year-old swingman, waived by the Mavs last month so they could save $51.8 million in luxury tax, signed a one-year, $2.6 million contract.

Finley said he was impressed by a conversation with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"The one thing that stood out to me was he said, 'For once in your basketball career, be selfish,'" Finley said. "By saying that, he pretty much was telling me to do what is best for me -- and not to keep friends happy or associates happy.

"As a player and as a man, I really respected him for saying that. It meant a lot, and I took that to heart. I went home, prayed on it, talked to my family and made the right decision for me."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/basketball/12553171.htm?source=yahoodist&content=dfw_sports

Sense
09-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Basically everything we already know.

usckk
09-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Well, some people said Finley signed a multi-year contract.

loveforthegame
09-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Dwain Price sucks at details. I'd probably believe Peter Vecsey before I did DP.

Chris
09-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Interesting quotes there.

hussker
09-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Weak Thread

exstatic
09-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think that a contract for the MLE or a fraction of it can be for one year.

DesiSpur_21
09-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Classic example of spinning the whole content of Finley's statements.

Nice job DP :flipoff

ducks
09-05-2005, 09:02 AM
mb has said a couple of times it was a one year deal
maybe they can do that in the new cba

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I don't think there's any restrictions on how many years an MLE contract can be. There wasn't in the old CBA either.

I know a LLE contract can only be one or two years.

The Artest Factor
09-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Finley really has shown the entire sports world what a self-centered asshole he is. And I really hope the Spurs don't win a damn thing with him there. He doesn't deserve it, and neither does Tony Parker or Greg Popovich. Three frauds in my opinion.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Finley really has shown the entire sports world what a self-centered asshole he is. And I really hope the Spurs don't win a damn thing with him there. He doesn't deserve it, and neither does Tony Parker or Greg Popovich. Three frauds in my opinion.
troll alert

Trainwreck2100
09-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Finley really has shown the entire sports world what a self-centered asshole he is.

Take off sports from there and you got something in common with him

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Finley really has shown the entire sports world what a self-centered asshole he is.

Because when Ron Artest went into the stands, he was doing it for the benefit of the Indiana Pacers organization and their fans.

angel_luv
09-05-2005, 10:02 AM
'Selfish' Finley joining Spurs to win his title

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - In the end, Michael Finley didn't want to play with Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in Miami. He also didn't want a reunion in Phoenix with his good buddy, Steve Nash.

Finley couldn't beat the San Antonio Spurs while he was with the Mavericks. So he joined them, figuring it was his best bet to win an NBA title.

The 32-year-old swingman, waived by the Mavs last month so they could save $51.8 million in luxury tax, signed a one-year, $2.6 million contract.

Finley said he was impressed by a conversation with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"The one thing that stood out to me was he said, 'For once in your basketball career, be selfish,'" Finley said. "By saying that, he pretty much was telling me to do what is best for me -- and not to keep friends happy or associates happy.

"As a player and as a man, I really respected him for saying that. It meant a lot, and I took that to heart. I went home, prayed on it, talked to my family and made the right decision for me."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/basketball/12553171.htm?source=yahoodist&content=dfw_sports

Finley sounds like my kind of people. Welcome aboard! = )

Streakyshooter08
09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
So what is right now? Multi-year or one- year? If he will be her for only one season. What do you think will he do next year? Re-signing with the spurs or leaving?

TOP-CHERRY
09-05-2005, 01:07 PM
So what is right now? Multi-year or one- year? If he will be her for only one season. What do you think will he do next year? Re-signing with the spurs or leaving?
Too early for even him to tell.

baseline bum
09-05-2005, 01:12 PM
There's a 3-year minimum on offer-sheets for restricted free agents, but there 's no such limit on unrestricted ones.

yeahone
09-05-2005, 04:24 PM
there goes the attention whore again,,, please if you are gonig to impresses us with your esteem level of stupiness get something original.

Solid D
09-05-2005, 04:34 PM

There is one more thing Finley could do to show how self-centered he really is. He could ask to take a month off during the season due to the rigors of releasing a new rap album. :owned

Streakyshooter08
09-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Mhm... I think a two-year deal might have been better. If they repeat he might be gone by next year. We'll see... By the way: will there be the Pop-Show again this season? Haven't heard it quite a while. Maybe we should just ask Pop about the length of the contract. :)

JustSpurs
09-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Is that you Mouse?