PDA

View Full Version : Do you think pop is the reason big-name free agents don't come to San Antonio?

Horse
03-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Don't get me wrong if that is the reason I think it's completely retarded on the other hand these million-dollar crybabies don't like being yelled at.

cjw
03-22-2015, 07:08 PM
When is the last time the Spurs had cap space to sign one of these max guys you reference?

Yes they lost out to Gasol last season, and lose out to some buyout guys but the latter is likely a result of available minutes.

Malik Hairston
03-22-2015, 07:09 PM
I think San Antonio is the reason big-name free agents don't come to San Antonio, tbh:lol..

TXstbobcat
03-22-2015, 07:10 PM
No and I'm pretty sure that Pop isn't the only coach that yells.

K...
03-22-2015, 07:16 PM
I think San Antonio is the reason big-name free agents don't come to San Antonio, tbh:lol..

Sad but true, but times are changing. The city is growing and the lack of an income tax is a huge benefit.

The main reason is lack of cap space and no guaranteed roll. Imagine playing behind not just a GOAT big but also Manu and PArker. There just wasn't enough need for a big time free agent.

It's weird, Lakers and New York are both terrible. The salary cap is more small market friendly now. Spurs should get some free agent interest.

Unfortunately, the salary cap Armageddon are gonna screw San Antonio by giving every team cap space.

cjw
03-22-2015, 07:22 PM
The city is growing and the lack of an income tax is a huge benefit.

Top combined tax rate in NYC is over 12% (less if you live in the suburbs). Painful, but a price people pay to live in the Big Apple (including me). But for someone making a max contract? That's $1-$2 million per year. Over the course of a contract, that's a pretty sick NYC penthouse apartment you can buy to live in once you're done playing. Though if you play in New York, your season's gonna be over in April every year so a little more free time too.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
the lack of an income tax is a huge benefit.

debatable, and unless you're a spanish-speaking big-name free agent, even more doubtful...

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Most nigga and ballers in general hate the simple city life..

Honestly, San Antonio looks dupe..Cheap houses and shit..

TheGreatYacht
03-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Most stars love to statpad, that shit will come to an end here with Pop in charge. Too much team ball, not enough chimp ball

FkLA
03-22-2015, 07:25 PM
The city of San Antonio, the international make up of the team and the Spurs culture has more to do with it imo. Other teams like to hit up the clubs and scrip clubs while the Spurs have classy team dinners. The prorotypical black baller is a misfit on this team.

That's why loosing out on Gasol sucked. The Spurs were a perfect fit for him both on and off the court tbh.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Top combined tax rate in NYC is over 12% (less if you live in the suburbs). Painful, but a price people pay to live in the Big Apple (including me). But for someone making a max contract? That's $1-$2 million per year. Over the course of a contract, that's a pretty sick NYC penthouse apartment you can buy to live in once you're done playing. Though if you play in New York, your season's gonna be over in April every year so a little more free time too.

Plus players do pay income taxes for games they play on the road (in states that collects income taxes, which are pretty much all of them)... so the savings are really only for roughly half the games in a season... the endorsement money very likely overshadows that many times over, especially if you're a big-name free agent...

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:27 PM
The city of San Antonio, the international make up of the team and the Spurs culture has more to do with it imo. Other teams like to hit up the clubs and scrip clubs while the Spurs have classy team dinners. The prorotypical black baller is a misfit on this team.

That's why loosing out on Gasol sucked. The Spurs were a perfect fit for him both on and off the court tbh.

We dont really know Gasol IRL..

Who knows..Dude probably's addicted to trash club pussy..

TXstbobcat
03-22-2015, 07:29 PM

You should check out the homes in the dominion. They deffinately don't look cheap.

AFBlue
03-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Lack of money or tie to the city/organization are the key reasons no marquee FAs end up here. Spurs have marginal shots at Gasol and Aldridge because they might be able to offer comparable deals (though less years) and have some connection, be it international style of play or proximity to "home" in Texas. But that still might not be enough, given the money difference and loyalty to current organizations.

DJR210
03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
I love San Antonio and would never leave, but if I was presented a choice to go be rich somewhere I would love to go to Miami, LA, NY.. all have their obvious perks.

Whenever we do sign a FA, they tend to keep a home here because they end up liking it..

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:33 PM
You shoud check out the homes in the dominion. They deffinately don't look cheap.

I was talking about the average joe..

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8847-Goodwick-Hts_San-Antonio_TX_78254_M87334-30457

I mean this house is cheap as fuk..

and people consider our city as one of the best cities in Canada in terms of house prices..but that would cost 600k here.

baseline bum
03-22-2015, 07:34 PM
So you're telling me Whataburger's not a big enough draw?

DJR210
03-22-2015, 07:34 PM

That's pretty stupid, villager. San Antonio has upscale living just like anywhere else.

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:36 PM
That's pretty stupid, villager. San Antonio has upscale living just like anywhere else.

I was talking about the average joe houses...Every city has an upscale living obviously..

Malik Hairston
03-22-2015, 07:37 PM
I've only been to San Antonio once, and it was only for a single day, so the sample size is too small, but is the reputation of ugly/fat women legit, tbh?

Dverde
People want to be the man and not a #2 or #3 option.

apalisoc_9

well it is for Parker...

TXstbobcat

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8847-Goodwick-Hts_San-Antonio_TX_78254_M87334-30457

and people consider our city as one of the best cities in Canada in terms of house prices..but that would cost 600k here.

A big name NBA free agent isn't going to buy a home like that in San Antonio. They will look in the dominion where most other big name Spurs live.

Malik Hairston
03-22-2015, 07:39 PM
well it is for Parker...

:lmao..

ElNono
03-22-2015, 07:40 PM

They gave Blair free burgers and they lost money, tbh...

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:41 PM
A big name NBA free agent isn't going to buy a home like that in San Antonio. They will look in the dominion where most other big name Spurs live.

I know...

My comment was about me, personally...San Antonio is decent, IMO..Good weather, cheap stuff...

Malik Hairston
03-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Upscale living isn't the same in every city, obviously..

You have to consider that most NBA players are enamored with the flashy lifestyle, it's a matter of status and making appearances, a lot of these niggas grew up without any money or possessions, they want to live the lavish life, which is part of the reason half of them go broke once they retire..

There's nothing flashy about San Antonio nightlife, tbh..every city has upscale restaurants and bars, but nightlife in SA isn't nightlife in LA, Miami, New York, etc..

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Like I sad, i was talking about me Personally...

But yeah like I said, flashy life and San Antonio don't mix...

ChumpDumper
03-22-2015, 07:47 PM
I was talking about the average joe houses...Every city has an upscale living obviously..If you can find a free agent that turned down a team because they thought the average joe houses looked cheap on a real estate site, I'd like to see that.

DJR210
03-22-2015, 07:48 PM
I was talking about the average joe houses...Every city has an upscale living obviously..

Even average Joe houses can cost a pretty penny here..it just depends how far outside the loop you wanna live. It's no California real estate market though, where a basic single family home costs 400k plus.. for that here you get a fuckin palace.

TXstbobcat
Didn't Parker try to open a fancy upscale night club in San Antonio that didn't make enough money to stay in business?

pgardn
Young single men no dice.

Raising a family yes thank you.

Malik Hairston
Even average Joe houses can cost a pretty penny here..it just depends how far outside the loop you wanna live. It's no California real estate market though, where a basic single family home costs 400k plus.. for that here you get a fuckin palace.

Living here(Toronto) is the same, unfortunately..400k for an average house, tbh:lol..especially with all the gentrification in the inner city, too..

RD2191
03-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Living here(Toronto) is the same, unfortunately..400k for an average house, tbh:lol..
fuck, wanna move to Toronto so bad, tbh.

http://smarthousetoronto.com/

was looking at the smallest unit/studio which is 200k:lol all sold though

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:54 PM

yeah that's huge.

if you can get a 4 bedroom house in an ok community for 250k..That's good enough for me.

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 07:55 PM
fuck, wanna move to Toronto so bad, tbh.

http://smarthousetoronto.com/

was looking at the smallest unit/studio which is 200k:lol all sold though

You're going to hate the weather...trust me on this one and Toronto is not even that bad.

marinoman
03-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Small markets generally don't get the big name free agents, gotta rely on the draft
built not bought

MultiTroll
Related.
Due to the Big 3 being Spurs since almost forever, has it ever come up other then the timeframe window when JKidd was being courted?
His wifes cucking that decision had zero to do with Popped.

Not sure other then that there has ever been a window.

Mel_13
When is the last time the Spurs had cap space to sign one of these max guys you reference?

1. The Spurs haven't had cap space greater than the MLE since 2003.

2. Max players very rarely change teams via free agency.

3. For example, try to name an above-MLE signing by the Lakers after Shaq in 1996.

All that said, the points made about San Antonio as a destination are well taken. Any max FA that is inclined to leave his current team is not likely to be drawn to San Antonio.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:03 PM
3. For example, try to name an above-MLE signing by the Lakers after Shaq in 1996.

Ron Artest? Not sure about Nick Young...

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Ron Artest? Not sure about Nick Young...

Artest was signed with the MLE.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Nash too? It ended up being a sign & trade, but he was a free agent, I believe.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Nash too? It ended up being a sign & trade, but he was a free agent, I believe.

As you said, Nash was acquired in a trade. Lakers gave up 4 draft picks and a huge trade exception to get his services.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:09 PM
As you said, Nash was acquired in a trade. Lakers gave up 4 draft picks and a huge trade exception to get his services.

It was actually a sign and trade... I'm not sure why the Lakers couldn't sign him outright, but I suspect it was due to cap considerations.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:11 PM
It was actually a sign and trade... I'm not sure why the Lakers couldn't sign him outright, but I suspect it was due to cap considerations.

They didn't have the cap space to sign him. That's why they gave up all those assets to acquire him via trade.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:12 PM
On July 11, 2012, the Los Angeles Lakers acquired Nash in a sign-and-trade deal with Phoenix. Nash also considered signing with New York or Toronto, but he decided that Los Angeles was the best fit for him and his family.

Certainly a case where Nash picked where to go... glad it wasn't San Antonio, tbh...

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
On July 11, 2012, the Los Angeles Lakers acquired Nash in a sign-and-trade deal with Phoenix. Nash also considered signing with New York or Toronto, but he decided that Los Angeles was the best fit for him and his family.

Certainly a case where Nash picked where to go... glad it wasn't San Antonio, tbh...

He wouldn't have signed with the Lakers for the money they could have offered him in FA.

DJR210
03-22-2015, 08:15 PM
yeah that's huge.

if you can get a 4 bedroom house in an ok community for 250k..That's good enough for me.

If you want one here in SA in a non black neighborhood that is move in ready, without a ton of improvements needed, 4 bedrooms start at like 150.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
He wouldn't have signed with the Lakers for the money they could have offered him in FA.

Sure, but I don't think the Lakeshow would've given up what they did if Nash didn't show any interest in playing for them.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Sure, but I don't think the Lakeshow would've given up what they did if Nash didn't show any interest in playing for them.

Of course. A sign and trade is only possible with mutual interest.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Of course. A sign and trade is only possible with mutual interest.

And that's the topic here, as far as I understand. Why is it that the Spurs don't garner such interest from FAs.

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 08:23 PM
If you want one here in SA in a non black neighborhood that is move in ready, without a ton of improvements needed, 4 bedrooms start at like 150.

that is cheap...

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
And that's the topic here, as far as I understand. Why is it that the Spurs don't garner such interest from FAs.

Interest at a price. Nash was only interested in the Lakers at the price possible via a trade, not at the price available in FA.

Cloud786
03-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I've only been to San Antonio once, and it was only for a single day, so the sample size is too small, but is the reputation of ugly/fat women legit, tbh?

No question. I've lived in SA my whole life and I believe SA is in the top 10 of most obese cities. I live in the wealthier part of town where there tend to be far more beautiful women but the fans you see at Spurs games do tend to represent the city as a whole for the most part. What Barkley has been saying about SA the last few years is very true sadly.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Interest at a price. Nash was only interested in the Lakers at the price possible via a trade, not at the price available in FA.

Of course, they are "big name" after all. I don't even think the Spurs would penny-pinch if some player showed such interest in them. I would actually think they would do exactly what the Lakers did, try to work out a deal and land said player.

Obviously, the alleged lack of interest is seemingly a non-starter.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2015, 08:39 PM

I agree with this. SA is one of my favorite cities in the world, but it's an acquired taste. If I were 25 years old and had a jillion dollars there are other cities I'd rather live in.

spurs10
03-22-2015, 08:39 PM
No question. I've lived in SA my whole life and I believe SA is in the top 10 of most obese cities. I live in the wealthier part of town where there tend to be far more beautiful women but the fans you see at Spurs games do tend to represent the city as a whole for the most part. What Barkley has been saying about SA the last few years is very true sadly. Well it certainly is when he's there.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Of course, they are "big name" after all. I don't even think the Spurs would penny-pinch if some player showed such interest in them. I would actually think they would do exactly what the Lakers did, try to work out a deal and land said player.

Obviously, the alleged lack of interest is seemingly a non-starter.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Nash was headed to Toronto until the Lakers were able to match the deal he could get there. And it was a trade, not a free agent signing.

MI21
03-22-2015, 08:43 PM

Fuck, that is so cheap for land that size and a decent sized house (looks old though).

I could sell my house here in Australia (first home I built at 26) and buy that house two times with some change, maybe I'll move to San Antonio tbh - buy a GTR like my nig mystargtr34 and cruise around San Antonio.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2015, 08:50 PM
You're going to hate the weather...trust me on this one and Toronto is not even that bad.

The trick would be to live downtown. Thanks to PATH, you almost never have to go outside.

Malik Hairston
03-22-2015, 08:51 PM
The trick would be to live downtown. Thanks to PATH, you almost never have to go outside.

This is true, but the past 2 Winters here have been awful, tbh..back to -19 tonight too:lol..

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 08:55 PM
I just want to be able to go out wearing shots every freaking day man..srs.

walking around with the sun up...

Shit like that..

You can't do that in about 4 months in Toronto...where I live, you can't do in 5..That's almost half a year.

jag
03-22-2015, 08:56 PM
NBA players don't want to live in San Antonio. White people and black people are a huge minority in SA, which is turning into Little Mexico. Nothing wrong with that, but most American black millionaires feel out of place there. It's also not a very nice city to visit for more than a day or two to check out historical sites.

Obstructed_View
03-22-2015, 08:56 PM
This is true, but the past 2 Winters here have been awful, tbh..back to -19 tonight too:lol..

I remember that. I was there for work during the blizzard of 1999. They had the army moving the snow out with loaders and dump trucks. It's the only time I had to dig to find my rental car.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Not sure what point you're trying to make. Nash was headed to Toronto until the Lakers were able to match the deal he could get there. And it was a trade, not a free agent signing.

That Nash expressed interest in playing for LA, and due to that interest, LA went wheeling and dealing to acquire him, which they did. And all this happened while he was a free agent.

How it got done (through a sign and trade) is largely irrelevant to the point that Nash had a preference to play for the Lakers.

The point I was trying to make is that if such a "big name" player would show similar interest in signing for the Spurs, and the Spurs wouldn't have the cap to pay him his worth, I'm convinced the Spurs would explore possible dealings that would land them such talent.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 09:04 PM
That Nash expressed interest in playing for LA, and due to that interest, LA went wheeling and dealing to acquire him, which they did. And all this happened while he was a free agent.

How it got done (through a sign and trade) is largely irrelevant to the point that Nash had a preference to play for the Lakers.

The point I was trying to make is that if such a "big name" player would show similar interest in signing for the Spurs, and the Spurs wouldn't have the cap to pay him his worth, I'm convinced the Spurs would explore possible dealings that would land them such talent.

That's a lot of speculation, I'm not going to try to dispute it.

My point was that teams can't begin to play in free agency without cap space. The Spurs haven't had significant cap space in a dozen years.

Of course, max space guarantees nothing as the Lakers and Mavs have found out in recent years.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 09:08 PM
My point was that teams can't begin to play in free agency without cap space. The Spurs haven't had significant cap space in a dozen years.

Of course they can. The Nash scenario shows exactly why. It does take a lot of wheeling, dealing and will from all parts involved, but obviously having the player's blessing is a good advantage.

Of course, max space guarantees nothing as the Lakers and Mavs have found out in recent years.

No doubt. Even some of these "big name" deals don't work out. The Nash case, again, is another good example of that.

FkLA
03-22-2015, 09:11 PM
NBA players don't want to live in San Antonio. White people and black people are a huge minority in SA, which is turning into Little Mexico. Nothing wrong with that, but most American black millionaires feel out of place there. It's also not a very nice city to visit for more than a day or two to check out historical sites.

Idk bro. Its not like NBA players frequent the South side. Once you get north of downtown especially the 1604 area, which is where they'd live, the population is more diverse so I doubt that plays a huge role. I think SA's lack of a flashy nightlife plays a bigger role as does the make-up of the actual team (low key internationals are the large majority).

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Of course they can. The Nash scenario shows exactly why. It does take a lot of wheeling, dealing and will from all parts involved, but obviously having the player's blessing is a good advantage.

We disagree. Nash was acquired via trade. This thread is about free agent signings.

FkLA
03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
No question. I've lived in SA my whole life and I believe SA is in the top 10 of most obese cities. I live in the wealthier part of town where there tend to be far more beautiful women but the fans you see at Spurs games do tend to represent the city as a whole for the most part. What Barkley has been saying about SA the last few years is very true sadly.

True but what most don't realize is that it's a Texas thing not necessarily a SA thing. Houston has been #1 a couple of times on the obese list IIRC. They're also always in the Top 10 as is Dallas.

Old School 44
03-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Although Pop could be a reason for some free agents, I doubt if he's the main reason. If anything, I think he's more on the positive side as to why a free agent would sign here. I remember Ernie Johnson, after running a piece on Pop, going around the table and asking Shaq, Kenny and Charles if they would have loved to play for Pop. Each responded with a resounding yes. Now, do I believe them? In the moment, as they sat in the studio retired, yes.

BUT I doubt, at the peak of their careers, Shaq or Charles would have liked to play for Pop, not so much the coach/man, but the system. I seriously doubt they would be able to check their egos or as Pop likes to say "get over themselves".

ElNono
03-22-2015, 09:20 PM
We disagree. Nash was acquired via trade. This thread is about free agent signings.

Incorrect, he was acquired via a sign-and-trade, which is governed by different rules from a regular trade (Salary Cap FAQ #91), and is routinely used to move free agents (the 'sign' part of sign-and-trade makes it implicit that we're dealing with free agents), thus sign-and-trade goes squarely at free agent signings.

DJR210
03-22-2015, 09:20 PM

There are plenty of fat Mexican and black slobs here, but there are more than enough beautiful women here to go around.. :lol these idiots try and make it seem like quality puss is not available in SA.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Incorrect, he was acquired via a sign-and-trade, which is governed by different rules from a regular trade (Salary Cap FAQ #91), and is routinely used to move free agents (the 'sign' part of sign-and-trade makes it implicit that we're dealing with free agents).

We disagree. A sign and trade is still a trade. Nash would not have signed with the Lakers as a free agent.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 09:24 PM
We disagree. A sign and trade is still a trade. Nash would not have signed with the Lakers as a free agent.

:lol you know better than this, Mel. It's all good.

FkLA
03-22-2015, 09:24 PM
There are plenty of fat Mexican and black slobs here, but there are more than enough beautiful women here to go around.. :lol these idiots try and make it seem like quality puss is not available in SA.

Plenty of white slobs too brah.

:lol TPork

DMC
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Pop is the reason they would. They respect the hell out of a great coach. Every basketball player from HS on wants to play for a great coach, they'll go to a subpar school to play for a great coach (just ask Larry Brown). So no, it's not Pop. It's SA and the "culture" of being unselfish. Unselfish from a player perspective means putting money in Peter's pocket instead of their own. Many NBA players don't want to give that much, ring or no ring. You can sell a ring on the market for about what one of these guys makes in a regular season game.

apalisoc_9
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM

:lol

Would love to meet some Senioritas in San Antonio..I haven't met a single Latina in our city tbh.

DMC
03-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Although Pop could be a reason for some free agents, I doubt if he's the main reason. If anything, I think he's more on the positive side as to why a free agent would sign here. I remember Ernie Johnson, after running a piece on Pop, going around the table and asking Shaq, Kenny and Charles if they would have loved to play for Pop. Each responded with a resounding yes. Now, do I believe them? In the moment, as they sat in the studio retired, yes.

BUT I doubt, at the peak of their careers, Shaq or Charles would have liked to play for Pop, not so much the coach/man, but the system. I seriously doubt they would be able to check their egos or as Pop likes to say "get over themselves".

If you have a guy like Charles (and you won't) you don't ask him to get over himself. You put him out there and build around him.

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 09:31 PM
:lol you know better than this, Mel. It's all good.

It's always all good, Nono, but I stand by my point.

We see the issue differently, that's all.

ElNono
03-22-2015, 09:34 PM
It's always all good, Nono, but I stand by my point.

We see the issue differently, that's all.

don't you question my e-honor again! :lol

Hope you skipped the Knicks game, tbh...

Mel_13
03-22-2015, 09:35 PM
don't you question my e-honor again! :lol

Hope you skipped the Knicks game, tbh...

I did, thankfully.

baseline bum
03-22-2015, 09:36 PM

The bitches in SA all get fat right after the quinceañera, mostly due to a mix of pregnancy and fried foods.

FkLA
03-22-2015, 09:40 PM

Would love to meet some Senioritas in San Antonio..I haven't met a single Latina in our city tbh.

Alot of them are little ghetto hoes that think its cute to get pregnant in HS and have a couple kids by the time they're in their early 20s. I think Bexar county leads the nation in teen pregnancies IIRC. There's some good, respectable ones too though. Or if you're just looking to have fun the ghetto ones bring it just make sure to wrap your shit up or pull out. :lol

TXstbobcat
03-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Alot of them are little ghetto hoes that think its cute to get pregnant in HS and have a couple kids by the time they're in their early 20s. I think Bexar county leads the nation in teen pregnancies IIRC. There's some good, respectable ones too though. Or if you're just looking to have fun the ghetto ones bring it just make sure to wrap your shit up or pull out. :lol

Sounds like some classy ladies :lmao

DJR210
03-22-2015, 10:04 PM

:lol Tbh, I hardly see any fat white heifers around town.. it's all Teresita's and La' Shaniqua's

Senioritas? Go down to your local assisted living home in Canada, no need to fly down here brah.

Joes Volcano, right now.. plenty of premium 19 y/o trim there for college night tbh

lefty
03-22-2015, 10:10 PM
No star player wants to play with Enrique tbh ...

lefty
03-22-2015, 10:13 PM

I just want to be able to go out wearing shots every freaking day man..srs.

walking around with the sun up...

Shit like that..

You can't do that in about 4 months in Toronto...where I live, you can't do in 5..That's almost half a year.
Fucking Jacques Cartier of shit settling in Quebec of poop instead of going to FLorida

Who am I kidding, the English would have taken it away from him :lol

PingPong
03-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Fuck, that is so cheap for land that size and a decent sized house (looks old though).

I could sell my house here in Australia (first home I built at 26) and buy that house two times with some change, maybe I'll move to San Antonio tbh - buy a GTR like my nig mystargtr34 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=9039) and cruise around San Antonio.

As Ayers does... he has a pink GT-R:

http://www.carninja.com/showcase/gatorwraps-148/jeff-pendergraph-nissan-gtr-273

MI21
03-22-2015, 10:26 PM
As Ayers does... he has a pink GT-R:

http://www.carninja.com/showcase/gatorwraps-148/jeff-pendergraph-nissan-gtr-273

Poor Jeff, even when he does something right like buy a GTR, he manages to fuck it up.

mystargtr34, I hope you will be doing this to yours...:lol

PingPong
03-22-2015, 10:29 PM
People are talking about the nightlife of San Antônio, but the players don't have enough spare time to spend at the clubs, since they have games often, training, trips et caterva. The ones who like the nightlife and the fashy lifestyle usually do it in the offseason. Like some players who got hit in a club in New York. If some nba player have spare time during the season, he can simply take a flight and go to the bigger cities. Nowadays, the biggest reason to big names do not sign with the Spurs is the fact the team already have their stars in Parker, Tim and Manu.

ducks
03-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Don't get me wrong if that is the reason I think it's completely retarded on the other hand these million-dollar crybabies don't like being yelled at.

Duncan ,tp, manu not big name free agents?

ducks
03-22-2015, 10:45 PM
No star player wants to play with Enrique tbh ...

Duncan disagrees or so
Does manu

ElNono
03-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Duncan ,tp, manu not big name free agents?

they were all lottery picks

ducks
03-22-2015, 10:46 PM
And if Duncan wanted he could have got tp traded a couple years ago

ducks
03-22-2015, 10:46 PM
they were all lottery picks

They all resigned here

ElNono
03-22-2015, 10:50 PM
They all resigned here

I think only Tim and Manu ever actually reached free agency... I think Tony always extended before the fact...

ducks
03-22-2015, 10:56 PM
So pop was not a reason top fa's do not go to spurs

ElNono
03-22-2015, 11:02 PM
So pop was not a reason top fa's do not go to spurs

I think people underrate endorsement money and marketing possibilities... which have little to do with the Spurs and likely more to do with San Antonio's market.

Old School 44
03-22-2015, 11:10 PM
I think only Tim and Manu ever actually reached free agency... I think Tony always extended before the fact...
Yep...and I think the Spurs let everyone know they'll match any reasonable offers for guys they want to keep. That's why I think Danny will stay. The only way you leave "the family" is if you're unhappy with the team and basically force your way out, or someone offers you something crazy.

lefty
03-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Duncan disagrees or so
Does manu

Duncan was already there

Manu wasn't a free agent

ducks
03-22-2015, 11:15 PM
I think people underrate endorsement money and marketing possibilities... which have little to do with the Spurs and likely more to do with San Antonio's market.

Bingo endorsements

PingPong
03-22-2015, 11:18 PM

Le Bron made his name with the fucking Cavs.

ducks
03-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Duncan was already there

Manu wasn't a free agent

Manu hated playing with tp he would have demanded to be traded

ElNono
03-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Le Bron made his name with the fucking Cavs.

Yeah, but Lebron was making way more money off Nike before even entering the league, IIRC.... tbh, I'm surprised he left Miami...

PingPong
03-22-2015, 11:27 PM
Yeah, but Lebron was making way more money off Nike before even entering the league, IIRC.... tbh, I'm surprised he left Miami...

The Heat isn't the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics or Bulls, the only four teams that really sell merchandise around the world. Probably the Heat sold a lot of Jerseys in the Filipines because of Spoelstra. Most of the endorsements don't change if the player get good exposure in the media. Tim, Parker and Manu aren't exactly the media whores or favorites. Parker only got some attention because his wife. If Le Bron comes to San Antônio, he will get the same exposure.

mystargtr34
03-22-2015, 11:28 PM

I could sell my house here in Australia (first home I built at 26) and buy that house two times with some change, maybe I'll move to San Antonio tbh - buy a GTR like my nig mystargtr34 and cruise around San Antonio.

mahnigga.gif :hat

mystargtr34
03-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Poor Jeff, even when he does something right like buy a GTR, he manages to fuck it up.

mystargtr34, I hope you will be doing this to yours...:lol

Jesus christ hes ruined that fucking car :lol.. no wonder his dad left.

Kool Bob Love
03-22-2015, 11:41 PM
Taken from reddit.

While he had met previous coaches such as Rick Carlisle, Rick Adelmen, and Mike Brown, none of them were nearly as interactive as Pop was and he even hosted a private dinner. He talked about his basketball philosophies and how he decides upon which players to add to his team. Whenever he interviews someone in free agency or in the draft, he never talks of basketball and instead talks about personal life and current news events to make sure that the player has something in him other than basketball. He doesn't take self-entitled players as that would ruin team chemistry and he wants his team to be full of intelligent players playing the right way. Pop himself said that if he had to make a decision between an American player and a slightly lesser International player, he would choose the International player because he has noticed that American players are often more arrogant and self-entitled which is not what he is looking for. This is why much of his team is composed largely of foreign born players.

Pop had thought that Pau Gasol would mesh perfectly with the Spurs with his personality and playstyle, and for the fact that he was foreign born. The Spurs went hard after him and were at one point convinced that he was going to sign with them. However, Pau Gasol later informed the Spurs that he wouldn't be signing with them simply becuase he did not want to go to the team that had just won the championship and he thought that he would get more glory if he won a championship with another team.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2zt0z3/a_friend_of_mine_had_dinner_with_gregg_popovich/

lefty
03-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Manu hated playing with tp he would have demanded to be traded

Manu stayed because of Tim, not Enrique

FkLA
03-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Taken from reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2zt0z3/a_friend_of_mine_had_dinner_with_gregg_popovich/

Damn that last paragraph stings. I was convinced we were landing MVPau for the same reasons too. :(

Rapper
03-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Pop likes foreign guys due to the less money and doesn't allow his guys to be star players it is because if they had nice individual stats they could be able to argue big contracts

ElNono
03-22-2015, 11:55 PM
The Heat isn't the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics or Bulls, the only four teams that really sell merchandise around the world. Probably the Heat sold a lot of Jerseys in the Filipines because of Spoelstra. Most of the endorsements don't change if the player get good exposure in the media. Tim, Parker and Manu aren't exactly the media whores or favorites. Parker only got some attention because his wife. If Le Bron comes to San Antônio, he will get the same exposure.

Miami is a big upgrade, market-wise, over this:

ysmLA5TqbIY

But I do agree that there's a handful of stars with more of a national-based recognition (Lebron, Durant, maybe Harden and Westbrook now) that would probably be less impacted by a smaller market.

PingPong
03-23-2015, 12:11 AM
Miami is a big upgrade, market-wise, over this:

But I do agree that there's a handful of stars with more of a national-based recognition (Lebron, Durant, maybe Harden and Westbrook now) that would probably be less impacted by a smaller market.

Not exactly the most glamurous place.... :D
But people buy jerseys because of the tradition (Celtics, Lakers, Knicks) or a dinasty of a high profile player, like MJ (Bulls). Rare people buy the GSW Jersey, besides the Market there.

ElNono
03-23-2015, 12:25 AM
Not exactly the most glamurous place.... :D
But people buy jerseys because of the tradition (Celtics, Lakers, Knicks) or a dinasty of a high profile player, like MJ (Bulls). Rare people buy the GSW Jersey, besides the Market there.

Also not all "big name" players are cut from the same cloth, either.... We watched Kyrie Irving doing more on commercials than on the court for many years...

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 12:31 AM
man every player is unique. Not every damn player is looking for that extra dollar..Sure, it's probably their number 1 priority but I'm thinking one out of 10 superstar thinks what's the difference between being 80 million dollar rich vs 120 Million dollar.

To me, from what I've seen so far...Kawhi, Gasol are part of the latter..

Wouldn't be surprised if Davis is the same..But I think Davis is looking for Glory. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes for the qualifying offer to sign for a legit organization.

AFBlue
03-23-2015, 07:11 AM
man every player is unique. Not every damn player is looking for that extra dollar..Sure, it's probably their number 1 priority but I'm thinking one out of 10 superstar thinks what's the difference between being 80 million dollar rich vs 120 Million dollar.

To me, from what I've seen so far...Kawhi, Gasol are part of the latter..

Wouldn't be surprised if Davis is the same..But I think Davis is looking for Glory. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes for the qualifying offer to sign for a legit organization.

Turning down guaranteed dollars in your prime to sign with a team other than where you're established just doesn't happen. Gasol might consider the Spurs like his brother did, but in the end he'll likely choose more money and/or loyalty to his current organization. Just the way it is.

As for Davis, he won't walk away from his first guaranteed market-level deal, especially for an additional year that the Pelicans will give him. No one does that.

Brazil
03-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Free agents have no issue with Spurs and San Antonio tbh.... that's average fan way of thinking

Each situation or non signing is particular

On the premises:

- The city is obviously ok, Bowen, Parker, Robinson and others all chose to stay in San Antonio because city is great for raising a family and be happy
- Tax situation is good to great
- Most of player with the beginning of a brain would love to play for a coach like Pop

You don't sign big name free agents because (pick one or two):

- don't have the money, Spurs are each and every year near the salary gap and spend their money on their player
- some players prefer big markets or wife don't want to live the simple life
- don't have the minutes or the role in the roster (see Gasol)

pgardn
03-23-2015, 08:14 AM

His "brand" is already established, Lebron is probably not a good example.

BillMc
03-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Boris came here. And re-signed, :hungry:

Horse
03-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Crazy a competitive guy like kobe would take that contract leaving them unable to give him a team that could compete.

TampaDude
03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
yeah that's huge.

Yup...that's why I love it here in Tampa Bay. I live in a nice 4 BR lakefront house in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Only paid $208K for it.

Plenty of shops, restaurants, etc. nearby, and downtown Tampa and Ybor City are only 10-15 minutes away on the Selmon.

Oh, yeah...while all you fuckers up north are buried under snow every winter, I'm walking around in shorts and a T-shirt.

No state income taxes, no emissions inspections, no personal property taxes, no sales tax on groceries, and some of the best microbrews in the world.

I love it here. :hat

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Yup...that's why I love it here in Tampa Bay. I live in a nice 4 BR lakefront house in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Only paid $208K for it.

Plenty of shops, restaurants, etc. nearby, and downtown Tampa and Ybor City are only 10-15 minutes away on the Selmon.

Oh, yeah...while all you fuckers up north are buried under snow every winter, I'm walking around in shorts and a T-shirt.

No state income taxes, no emissions inspections, no personal property taxes, no sales tax on groceries, and some of the best microbrews in the world.

I love it here. :hat

:depressed

how much are cabins or lake cottages there?

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Man houses in the US are cheap as fuk...

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Most stars love to statpad

Arcadian
03-23-2015, 03:13 PM

It's actually a good place to live, though. Temperate climates year-round, no natural disasters to worry about, and relatively inexpensive houses.

BOHOLANO#21
03-23-2015, 04:17 PM
How the heck a midget Filipino Apalisoc knows about san antonio?

TheGreatYacht
03-23-2015, 04:24 PM
How the heck a midget Filipino Apalisoc knows about san antonio?
:lmao ...

cd98
03-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Top free agents don't come here because the Spurs are smart and they don't overspend on what are always overpriced free agents. Look, most of the great players are never free agents. They usually sign extensions either with their current team or as part of an orchestrated trade to a new team. Most of the "big name" free agents are good, but not great players that are getting paid like All-Stars. Only fools get into bidding wars for those kinds of players. The Spurs don't have tons of cash to spend on players given that they've had Tim, Tony, and Manu on the roster for such a long time. Thus, they have to search for bargains, and the worst time to pay for a player is during his free agency. Rarely can you get a good deal. If the Spurs threw money around, they could sign plenty of "big name" free agents, but they would suck.

Macca76
03-23-2015, 04:33 PM

I think it's because of apalisoc_9 and his retarded friends. It seems a more plausible explanation.

tmtcsc
03-23-2015, 04:53 PM
There have been plenty of Spurs players that frequented strip clubs. Let's not go overboard with the "classy" stuff. They also have a collection of players that understand the pitfalls of being out late and partying when it is dangerous. Tony Parker got hurt in NY in the offseason. When was the last time we went after a Max-type player or even had the money to do so?

Obstructed_View
03-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Crazy a competitive guy like kobe would take that contract leaving them unable to give him a team that could compete.

Kobe doesn't compete for team glory. He'd trade all of his championships for Kareem's scoring title.

Dex
03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
There have been plenty of Spurs players that frequented strip clubs. Let's not go overboard with the "classy" stuff. They also have a collection of players that understand the pitfalls of being out late and partying when it is dangerous. Tony Parker got hurt in NY in the offseason. When was the last time we went after a Max-type player or even had the money to do so?

Kidd in 2003? And frankly, the Spurs ended up on the better side of that deal. If Kidd comes, Spurs probably end up losing Manu during his big free agency and never win the Michael Finley sweepstakes.

HI-FI
03-23-2015, 10:43 PM
Incorrect, he was acquired via a sign-and-trade, which is governed by different rules from a regular trade (Salary Cap FAQ #91), and is routinely used to move free agents (the 'sign' part of sign-and-trade makes it implicit that we're dealing with free agents), thus sign-and-trade goes squarely at free agent signings.
ElPhilo smdh

Rob123
03-24-2015, 12:04 AM
The thing that makes no sense about the san antonio being a small market thing is that if a guy goes to play in NY or Miami or LA unless he's lebron or Kobe he's still a broke joe. Wall street big wigs studio execs and business tycoons absolutely dwarf these guys in wealth. So coming to San Antonio a decently nice city, even the most average of nba players can be a big fish in a small pond which has its advantages.

Im not entirely sure it's big name free agents that arent choosing san antonio so much as it is san antonio not choosing big name free agents. Pop has a system and a role in mind for each player, if he thinks people cant fit for the right price he wont hesitate to pass.

That said the night life in San Antonio is far from dismal. The biggest issue is that San Antonio is so spread out and there's no public transit.

We need a centralized area to party like 6th street or a light rail system that runs until 2am on the weekends like the DC metro.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-24-2015, 12:44 AM
It's actually a good place to live, though. Temperate climates year-round, no natural disasters to worry about, and relatively inexpensive houses.

Maybe when California falls into the ocean and part of the east coast is under water, then is when free agents might be enticed by SA. But you're right in what you say.

MackAttack003
03-24-2015, 10:48 AM

I don't think it's the cheap houses and shit. Too many messkins thinking it's cool to call the players "nigga".

Seventyniner
03-24-2015, 10:55 AM
I wonder if the Pop/Tim/Tony/Manu core would have stayed together in a larger market. The increased media attention could very well have driven at least one of them away.

look_at_g_shred
03-24-2015, 11:31 AM
I agree with the stat padding aspect of it. You have to share the ball when your on the spurs. Take less shots, less minutes, etc. Even if your having a hot shooting night, it does not necessarily mean your going to play more minutes. Tbh it's pop's way or the highway. Many players know this. You can't argue with the success, but players don't see it that way. It's funny when players on other teams ( more specifically losing ones) when they go for 3/18 shooting in a losing effort, they will never take the blame for being the reason why they lost. Oh but you got your shots up... Congrats.

Arcadian
03-24-2015, 12:42 PM
It's definitely true that the Spurs system limits individual stats, but why the fuck would anyone choose individual stats over winning?? That is just beyond baffling. Fuck anyone who thinks like that. In that sense, the Spurs system is good for "weeding out" the idiots in the league.

taps
03-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Damn ES-AY is taking a beating in this thread.