PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Smith organizing hurricane relief all-star game

Spurs Biggest Fan
09-04-2005, 11:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2151490&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

HOUSTON -- Former Houston Rockets guard Kenny Smith is working with a promoter to organize a Sept. 11 charity basketball game benefiting Hurricane Katrina victims.

Smith, who won NBA titles with the Rockets in 1994-95, and Houston promoter Martin Fox said they have commitments from some of the biggest names in the NBA, Houston television station KRIV reported Saturday.

Smith, an analyst on TNT's national telecasts, said the event has a national television partner that will be announced when details are finalized. The game would be played at Toyota Center, home of the Rockets.

"This is not a pipe dream," Smith said. "It's just small hurdles, not big ones. The big ones have been jumped over."

Toyota Center and Rockets officials said they support the event.

Houston has the largest concentration of the estimated 223,000 Katrina refugees in Texas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who do you all think will be there?

Guru of Nothing
09-04-2005, 11:37 PM
I hope Barkley plays.

ducks
09-04-2005, 11:39 PM
DAVID ROBINSON AND MJ SHOULD PLAY :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Guru of Nothing
09-04-2005, 11:49 PM
DAVID ROBINSON AND MJ SHOULD PLAY :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Now you got me to thinking. The 92 Dream Team (minus MJ and Pip) vs. the 90's Bulls.

ducks
09-04-2005, 11:56 PM
That Would Be Cool
But Since It Will Be In Houston They Might Want To Have The Team That Beat The Spurs In The 90's With The Dream

drivanroca
09-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Rockets vs. Hornets ?????

hussker
09-05-2005, 03:54 PM
I have seen the proposed players listed...

hussker
09-05-2005, 04:09 PM
From the Houston Chronicle Monday 5 Sept Sports Page:
Kenny the Jet and AJ the Little General are working with Martin Fox, a local Houston Promoter to organize the game which will be aired by TNT on Sept 11 in the Toyota Center. John Lucas is "helping too" whatever that means.

Committed to Play:
ROCKETS: Tracy McGrady, Mike James, Derek Anderson
CAVS: Le Bron James
HEAT: DwyaneWade, Alonzo Mourning
LAKERS:Kobe Bryant
PACERS:Jermaine O'Neal
PISTONS:Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess
MAGIC: Steve Francis
KNICKS:Stephon Marbury
CLIPPERS:Cutino Mobley,Sam Cassell
Each player is donating a minimum of $10K to play

yeahone
09-05-2005, 04:34 PM
i think this should be an allstar game involving the greats of the recent pass,

Sense
09-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Kenny the Jet and AJ the Little General are working with Martin Fox, a local Houston Promoter to organize the game which will be aired by TNT on Sept 11 in the Toyota Center. John Lucas is "helping too" whatever that means.

Committed to Play:

Nice...... I'll be watching for sure.

Phenomanul
09-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Committed to Play:

Not a single Spur????

Again, Kenny shows his dislike for the Spurs organization....

baseline bum
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
What an awesome move by Kenny and AJ!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I think they dropped the ball by not having any Spurs or Mavs on the team. After all, SA and Dallas are housing just as many refugees as Houston, but they're left in the dark on this squad.

ZStomp
09-06-2005, 01:00 AM
How do we know that some Spurs/Mavs weren't invited for sure?

reader
09-06-2005, 01:08 AM
There are only 14 players listed. I would expect them to have at least 10 players per squad, so there are at least 6 to 10 more positions available.

Summers
09-07-2005, 05:00 PM
http://www.toyotacentertix.com/events/event_315.php

We just bought really good 2nd row seats for $25 each. Just wanted to let y'all know they're selling them now at this site. Good luck!

hussker
09-07-2005, 05:07 PM
How do we know that some Spurs/Mavs weren't invited for sure?

GINOBILI DRIVES...OH MY...HIS KNEE IS TAKEN OUT BY KOBE BRYANT...THAT IS HORRRRRRRRRIBLE...

milkyway21
09-07-2005, 08:58 PM

Committed to Play:
it will be on TNT and the final list of stars(incomplete), to participate are....

Star-studded relief
Kobe, LeBron headline Smith's charity game on TNT
Posted: Wednesday September 7, 2005 7:06PM; Updated: Wednesday September 7, 2005 8:15PM

HOUSTON (AP) -- TNT analyst Kenny Smith will host a charity game with more than 20 NBA stars on Sunday to benefit Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

The game, featuring such All-Stars as LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and Kevin Garnett, is scheduled for 5 p.m. Sunday and will air on TNT later that night.

Organizers said Wednesday that participating players will donate money and supplies valued at more than $1 million to aid Katrina victims.

Players are scheduled to hand out truckloads of supplies to shelters across the city before the game.

Other players set to attend the event include Steve Francis; Sam Cassell; Jemaine O'Neal; Ron Artest; Stephon Marbury; Chauncey Billups; J.R. Smith; Dantay Jones; Paul Pierce; Lindsey Hunter; Mike James; Alonzo Mourning; Charles Oakley; Antonio McDyess; Derek Anderson; Amare Stoudemire; and Derrick Coleman.

One of the teams will be coached by Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson. The other coach hasn't been announced.

Tickets range in price from $10 to $300 (for floor seats) with all proceeds going to hurricane relief. They may be purchased by calling 866-4HOUTIX or on the Internet at www.toyotacentertix.com.

In other Katrina developments:

• Major League Baseball will match the total fan contributions up to $1 million from "pass the hat" programs at games Wednesday. Major League Baseball, which joined the players' association with a $1 million donation last week, is expected to raise more than $3 million. Players had American Red Cross decals on their batting helmets and a phone number for donations appeared on the sides of the bases.

The Katrina relief effort coincides with the annual league-wide celebration of Roberto Clemente Day, established in 2002 to honor the memory of the Hall of Fame player who died in a plane crash while delivering supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua on New Year's eve in 1972.

• Tennis player Dominik Hrbaty's pink peek-a-boo shirt is one of several items that will be auctioned off on www.TennisKatrina.com to benefit the American Red Cross.

Hrbaty caused a stir at the U.S. Open with his shirt, which has oval-shaped cutouts below each shoulder and resembles a peek-a-boo bra.

Among the other items up for bid are Serena Williams' $40,000 platinum-and-diamond chandelier earrings; rackets from Williams, Roger Federer, Mary Pierce and Justine Henin-Hardenne; shoes from Rafael Nadal and Venus Williams; and clothing from Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters and Andy Roddick.

The U.S. Tennis Association announced earlier it would donate $500,000 from U.S. Open proceeds to the American Red Cross.

• A flood victim threw out the ceremonial first pitch Wednesday night at RFK Stadium before the Florida Marlins played the Washington Nationals.

Benjamin Camp, who lived in New Orleans, is one of about 250 evacuees staying at the adjacent D.C. Armory. The 20-year-old Camp was accompanied on the field by his father and brother-in-law. Other members of their family, including Camp's 2-year-old child, were evacuated to Houston.

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Charles Oakley????

Also since this is on TNT we get to here the TNT guy's take on the offseason.

Sense
09-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Wow that's sad...

The Spurs are the Champs of last season and not a single Spurs player is going to play?

Why is this sad?
What does being the Champs mean anything now?

This isn't done to prove anything, it's for raising money... it's not to show who cares more or anything of that matter.

Sense
09-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Not to mention everyone thinks the Spurs are boring, so why would anyone care?

reader
09-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Per this link from Yahoo, it is only African-American Stars appearing for the game.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050907/sp_afp/usweatherbasketnba;_ylt=AmJozuw035bH9_QJ..w_tlS79L QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Sense
09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Per this link from Yahoo, it is only African-American Stars appearing for the game.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050907/sp_afp/usweatherbasketnba;_ylt=AmJozuw035bH9_QJ..w_tlS79L QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

I think that's plain stupid.

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2005, 09:33 PM

Well that explains why there are noe Spurs, out best guys aren't close to african american.

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
P.S. Charles freaking Oakley.????

Sense
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Duncan, Parker, Bowen, Horry, Finley, Van Exel

All of these players are african-american or have roots.

^ None of those are "All-Stars", Finley and Van Exel just got here, trust me I'm sure they have enough with their training. Bowen should rest at all costs, and like I said before... they want to see stars, not every African American in the team.

Btw, why in the world would you mention Duncan or Parker?

Then the Spurs players should pitch in

They haven't?

You should know.

Summers
09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Since most of the people at the game are going to be Texan, it would make sense to have a few guys from the Mavs, Rockets, or Spurs. (Where would anyone else be able to find a hotel room?) It'll be a great game, but truthfully I'm going to be a little disappointed if I dont get to see Tim or Manu.

Trainwreck2100
09-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Since most of the people at the game are going to be Texan, it would make sense to have a few guys from the Mavs, Rockets, or Spurs. (Where would anyone else be able to find a hotel room?) It'll be a great game, but truthfully I'm going to be a little disappointed if I dont get to see Tim or Manu.

I won't I get scared enough at a regular all atar game.

Summers
09-07-2005, 10:50 PM
what's to be scared of? As Tim said back in February, "La defencia es poquito!" :lol Nobody's going to get hurt.

SWC Bonfire
09-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Btw, why in the world would you mention Duncan

Oh, I don't know... maybe because his life was seriously changed because of a hurricane...

FromWayDowntown
09-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, I don't know... maybe because his life was seriously changed because of a hurricane...

I thought the same thing. I suspect (hope), for that reason, that Tim's foundation has been offering some sort of assistance in a very quiet fashion. If anyone in the NBA knows what it means to have a hurricane seriously affect your life, it's Tim.

Sense
09-08-2005, 05:13 PM

I was talking about being considered in the star game.

They aren't looking for "roots" as he claimed.

Don't be a smartass, read correctly.