PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker - serious thread

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 09:43 AM
I thought Tony did great last night in taking a backseat to the other Spurs. Several were hot and TP didn't do anything to kill the momentum. Took some shots when they were there but didn't force much.

BUT...it's really a strange thought that a PG would have the lowest bball IQ of all the players on the court. Kawaii is only a few years in and he seems to know how and when to make the right pass more than Tony. I guess you could argue that Green is below Parker. Probably Mills too. It also underlines how good the system is and management at identity players than can fit in.

Not trying to take shots at Parker but looking at the main rotation, Parker seems to be at the very bottom in terms of passing ability.

This isn't in any order:

Duncan
Splitter
Parker
Green
Leonard
Ginobili
Mills
Belinelli

So...how crucial is Parker at this point in his career to the Spurs? I don't think he can be counted on to break down the defense and take over a game anymore. Spurs have so many weapons now that I'm not sure that they can't just plug in any solid PG.

RD2191
03-23-2015, 09:48 AM
He just needs to pass and not stall the offense. Also his flailing all over the place turnovers are getting old and really screw us. Just needs to drive and dish or go for the layup. He isn't Harden/Westbrook, he isn't getting those calls.

Brazil
03-23-2015, 09:50 AM
great tread highlighting some stuff never discussed tbh...

good job OP

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 09:56 AM
great tread highlighting some stuff never discussed tbh...

good job OP

LOL. Sorry...I'm not a TP hater. I know his shortcomings have been discussed. But last night, I just kept evaluating each team the Spurs had on the court and he probably always was the worst passer on the floor and in most cases had the lowest BBIQ. That being said, I'm happy with him when he can play in the flow and hit an open jumper or get into the lane for a teardrop. If he continues to do that, I think it speaks highly of him and understanding his role.

DarrinS
03-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Primum non nocere

Brazil
03-23-2015, 10:03 AM
LOL. Sorry...I'm not a TP hater. I know his shortcomings have been discussed. But last night, I just kept evaluating each team the Spurs had on the court and he probably always was the worst passer on the floor and in most cases had the lowest BBIQ. That being said, I'm happy with him when he can play in the flow and hit an open jumper or get into the lane for a teardrop. If he continues to do that, I think it speaks highly of him and understanding his role.

seriously great insight brah. Your take is rock solid tbh... I'm not sure how I did not see your dominance before. You did well creating another thread, your take would have been lost in the midle of the zillion shitty takes about him tbh

keep up... you will probably receive a "cantthinkofanything is an elite poster candidate for POTY" comment soon

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 10:05 AM
seriously great insight brah. Your take is rock solid tbh... I'm not sure how I did not see your dominance before. You did well creating another thread, your take would have been lost in the midle of the zillion shitty takes about him tbh

keep up... you will probably receive a "cantthinkofanything is an elite poster candidate for POTY" comment soon

Thanks. I thought you were being sarcastic at first.

100%duncan
03-23-2015, 10:07 AM
I don't know, i think you are massively underrating TP. Let's not forget this dude was a top pg 2 years ago, passing simply cannot decline fast enough. IMHO, only Diaw, Splitter, and Manu are better than him at passing the ball/passing IQ. Kawhi's improving but he's not there yet, although last night his passes were sick as fuck.

Basically what Parker needs to do is just play within the system keep sharing the ball and penetrating to the hoop. Don't try to hero by shooting inefficient long 2's. Just keep on driving especially now with the 3's going in the lane is going to free up a lot.

Not gonna lie, this version of Parker lately except the flailing drives is imho the best TP for the system that we have now. We don't need no hero.

Brazil
03-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks. I thought you were being sarcastic at first.

not my style

not recognizing your bb analytical skills sooner was a mistake, from now on I will follow you more closely

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 10:19 AM
I don't know, i think you are massively underrating TP. Let's not forget this dude was a top pg 2 years ago, passing simply cannot decline fast enough. IMHO, only Diaw, Splitter, and Manu are better than him at passing the ball/passing IQ. Kawhi's improving but he's not there yet, although last night his passes were sick as fuck.

Basically what Parker needs to do is just play within the system keep sharing the ball and penetrating to the hoop. Don't try to hero by shooting inefficient long 2's. Just keep on driving especially now with the 3's going in the lane is going to free up a lot.

Not gonna lie, this version of Parker lately except the flailing drives is imho the best TP for the system that we have now. We don't need no hero.

I think Parker can make good passes as far as keeping the ball moving. Which as you said, would be him playing within the system. He swings the ball fine. I just don't think I ever much see him make that one pass that hits someone for the easy bucket. Other than on a fast break. I wouldn't have mentioned Kawaii a few weeks ago but the passes he made last night point to him having some of this innate ability to see the floor and make the creative assist. This is a part of his game that I didn't see before.

Parker is a long way from where he was 2 years ago IMO. I was screaming to trade him back then and he proved me wrong. He developed that mid range shot and his quickness seemed to still be there. But without that devastating quickness, it's going to be easier to play him straight up and defend a lot of those mid range jumpers.

It's also encouraging that the Spurs can play so well with him contributing so little (point wise). I think Mills and CoJo could be counted on to do an adequate job of replicating that. And Mills has the 3 point shot to augment his game.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 10:21 AM
not my style

not recognizing your bb analytical skills sooner was a mistake, from now on I will follow you more closely

Thanks. I'll make sure to PM you on all my other analysis that doesn't make it to the board. If you want, you can send me your email address as well.

ElNono
03-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Solid thread, tbh... hopefully it sticks to serious basketball discussion...

As I've said many times, I love Tony Parker, and now that he has his speed back, he looks poised to regain his leading role as a finisher at the rim. He's been very good at that throughout his career, that's why while his passing and shooting are very average, as long as he can get to the basket he can be exceptional for us. Outside of Tony and Manu, we really don't have many guards that are "naturals" when it comes to driving and finishing/kicking it out. Kawhi is still raw in this department and it's more power than smarts when it comes to driving it in, and Danny had his moments, but his generally poor ball handling and finishing skills make him less than ideal. So Tony has his value there, he fills a need for us.

The whole assist conundrum is more complicated. It's not the same to run a P&R with Tim than with Ayres or even Tiago. You need the great pass, but you also need the good finisher. Obviously, creating the easy shot is what is all about, and a great pass can go a long ways towards that, but it's not the whole story.

Right now the main concern I have with Tony since he showed improvement is his turnovers while penetrating. We already have Turnobili, can't afford to have Tony turning it over and then stay there bitching at the refs while the other team runs in transition, something I've noticed he's done more prominently in the last few games. If he can clean that up, we'll be in good shape, IMO.

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Yah, Parker's averaging 18.7 on .544 with 5.1 APG over the past 12 games. And his +/- has been amazing: +156 during just those games. If he can keep giving us that, we'll keep playing at an elite level.

We can all keep pretending like Parker's taking a backseat, but when you're putting up those numbers in this system, you're not exactly a role player.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Solid thread, tbh... hopefully it sticks to serious basketball discussion...

As I've said many times, I love Tony Parker, and now that he has his speed back, he looks poised to regain his leading role as a finisher at the rim. He's been very good at that throughout his career, that's why while his passing and shooting are very average, as long as he can get to the basket he can be exceptional for us. Outside of Tony and Manu, we really don't have many guards that are "naturals" when it comes to driving and finishing/kicking it out. Kawhi is still raw in this department and it's more power than smarts when it comes to driving it in, and Danny had his moments, but his generally poor ball handling and finishing skills make him less than ideal. So Tony has his value there, he fills a need for us.

The whole assist conundrum is more complicated. It's not the same to run a P&R with Tim than with Ayres or even Tiago. You need the great pass, but you also need the good finisher. Obviously, creating the easy shot is what is all about, and a great pass can go a long ways towards that, but it's not the whole story.

Right now the main concern I have with Tony since he showed improvement is his turnovers while penetrating. We already have Turnobili, can't afford to have Tony turning it over and then stay there bitching at the refs while the other team runs in transition, something I've noticed he's done more prominently in the last few games. If he can clean that up, we'll be in good shape, IMO.

I'm more worried about the timing of getting Ginobli back. Seems like whenever he returns from an injury, he really screws up the chemistry and momentum as he gets back into bball shape. Bad shots and turnovers are always part of his return. Spurs need him back but I"m concerned that they are going to drop some close games while everyone adjusts.

TP's regained some quickness for sure. But I think he's obviously slower than last season. Don't know if this is primarily a function of the injury or age. Hopefully the former. But I like how this has limited him to driving only when it's really there. When the good ball movement allows him a couple of steps down the lane for a teardrop. Or leaves him for an open jumper. Like the guy said above, don't need him to be a hero. And if the whole team is playing bad, at this point, I think KL is the first choice for iso and putting the game in one player's hands. If KL gets hot, the double team will have to come from a big which leaves one of ours open which in turn, the Spurs are adept at getting the ball to.

ElNono
03-23-2015, 01:56 PM
I'm more worried about the timing of getting Ginobli back. Seems like whenever he returns from an injury, he really screws up the chemistry and momentum as he gets back into bball shape. Bad shots and turnovers are always part of his return. Spurs need him back but I"m concerned that they are going to drop some close games while everyone adjusts.

That's always a concern, but at the same time, I rather have all our guns, so I'm glad it was nothing more serious than a sprain. This team will eventually need a key shot or play from Gino if they're looking to repeat. He's in a lot of ways one of the catalysts, when he doesn't play well, we can't ring, but when he does play well, he's still a difference maker, as we all know by now.

TP's regained some quickness for sure. But I think he's obviously slower than last season. Don't know if this is primarily a function of the injury or age. Hopefully the former. But I like how this has limited him to driving only when it's really there. When the good ball movement allows him a couple of steps down the lane for a teardrop. Or leaves him for an open jumper. Like the guy said above, don't need him to be a hero. And if the whole team is playing bad, at this point, I think KL is the first choice for iso and putting the game in one player's hands. If KL gets hot, the double team will have to come from a big which leaves one of ours open which in turn, the Spurs are adept at getting the ball to.

Now that his speed is back I'm much less concerned about Tony, but for insurance purposes, it would be nice to see Patty regain his form from last season, tbh...
For the past couple of playoffs, we continually keep hearing about Tony playing injured... his hammy has been problematic, that's why you want to have some sort of insurance.

will_spurs
03-23-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "the right pass". What I noticed yesterday is that every time Parker went to the bench (usually replaced by Mills) the offense sputtered and stalled and the Spurs went to a lot of iso-crap type of plays. The lead would drop to +15 then +13 and Pop would send Parker back in and the lead would go back to a healthy +20. Not surprisingly Parker finished with the top +/- yesterday night.

Generally speaking there are two kinds of situations :
- half-court : in this setting Parker's job isn't to make the nice pass, but to be the engine of the system. He sets the tone perfectly, gets the offense running. After that we know the Spurs rely on everybody's passing ability and that the players are going to keep passing the ball until they get the best possible shot. At this point Parker is a cog in the machine like any other Spurs player. That's the way the system is designed, not one of Parker's shortcomings.
- fast break: Parker is one of the best fast break players in the league, so I imagine it's going to be hard for any other Spur to best his passing, court vision or decision-making ability in this context.

I think what you mean by "the right pass" is "a Sports Center pass", the way Duncan or Kawhi throw bombs in transition. Yeah, Parker doesn't do that. He never did, and never will. And it's good because that kind of pass has a higher risk of being intercepted/deflected, and lesser chance of drawing a foul. Parker runs fast breaks the smart way, and delivers.

K...
03-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Hmm seems like we won some games recently when kawhi and Parker both play well. Then there was one game where Parker didn't need to dominate. So I guess it's better if Parker doesn't score? I don't know really, these one game sample sizes confuse me.

How about just a simple idea....If Parker can dominate his guy he plays aggressive, if Parker can't or a better matchup exists have Parker pass.

The though of replacing Parker is pretty dumb.look at Dallas and rondo....you don't just sub a starting pg and expect no losses. Parker is bringing less to the team kawhi, but He's about as iimportant as everyone else.

ThaBigFundamental21
03-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Let's be honest. It depends on the game and series. Sometimes Parker absolutely has to set the tone. He has to drive and be successful at getting into the paint. The threat of Parker scoring will have to be there. Come playoff time Parker will have to be sharp. The Spurs rely on Parker to open up the perimeter.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "the right pass". What I noticed yesterday is that every time Parker went to the bench (usually replaced by Mills) the offense sputtered and stalled and the Spurs went to a lot of iso-crap type of plays. The lead would drop to +15 then +13 and Pop would send Parker back in and the lead would go back to a healthy +20. Not surprisingly Parker finished with the top +/- yesterday night.

- half-court : in this setting Parker's job isn't to make the nice pass, but to be the engine of the system. He sets the tone perfectly, gets the offense running. After that we know the Spurs rely on everybody's passing ability and that the players are going to keep passing the ball until they get the best possible shot. At this point Parker is a cog in the machine like any other Spurs player. That's the way the system is designed, not one of Parker's shortcomings.
- fast break: Parker is one of the best fast break players in the league, so I imagine it's going to be hard for any other Spur to best his passing, court vision or decision-making ability in this context.

I think what you mean by "the right pass" is "a Sports Center pass", the way Duncan or Kawhi throw bombs in transition. Yeah, Parker doesn't do that. He never did, and never will. And it's good because that kind of pass has a higher risk of being intercepted/deflected, and lesser chance of drawing a foul. Parker runs fast breaks the smart way, and delivers.

I'd have to go back and look but I'm pretty sure that when Tony went out, so did other starters. And I think it was Marco that fucked up it up for the most part. I don't remember Mills doing anything particularly bad. No..I don't mean a highlight pass. I think KL got a little lucky on the full court bounce pass. It was about an inch away from being a turnover. I'm talking about the solid entry passes that the Spurs bigs make to each other or that Manu and Kawaii put in the right place.

And I agree that on the fast break, Tony is as good as anyone. But I think that's a function of how much trouble he gives a defender in stopping the ball. His quickness (even today) makes him hard to stop or figure out what to do before it's too late.

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 02:44 PM

Finally someone who gets it.

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Let's be honest. It depends on the game and series. Sometimes Parker absolutely has to set the tone. He has to drive and be successful at getting into the paint. The threat of Parker scoring will have to be there. Come playoff time Parker will have to be sharp. The Spurs rely on Parker to open up the perimeter.
Truth nuke, tbh

dabom
03-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Tony has been stalling the offense the whole year now. Nothing new. :lmao

RD2191
03-23-2015, 02:48 PM

RD2191
03-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Truth nuke, tbh
lol no, any mediocre pg can do that. spurs don't need parker to win.

RD2191
03-23-2015, 02:50 PM

maybe because mills was playing with the bench. parker got carried by the starters, nothing new. kawhi had more assist than him.

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
maybe because mills was playing with the bench. parker got carried by the starters, nothing new. kawhi had more assist than him.
I'll go ahead and add this one to my list of hypothetical ST reactions when Parker has a team-high +/-.

RD2191
03-23-2015, 02:56 PM
I'll go ahead and add this one to my list of hypothetical ST reactions when Parker has a team-high +/-.
parker dropped 8 points in a blowout and as i said had fewer assist than our starting small forward. we did not need parker yesterday.

dabom
03-23-2015, 02:59 PM

No context besides plus minus. :lmao

dabom
03-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Tony getting out the way of the offense with the starters = maestro now? :lmao

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Parker has team-high +/- : "He played with the starters"
Parker has team-high points: "Enrique"
Parker has team-high assists: "System"
Parker has team-high FG%: "Weak opponent"
Parker has team-high in all previous categories: "Regular season"

...just compiling the list guys. I'm trying to learn your system.

dabom
03-23-2015, 03:04 PM

...just compiling the list guys.

Deflecting instead of debating. :lmao

Brazil
03-23-2015, 03:07 PM

:lmao faggot

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 03:07 PM

Tony getting out the way of the offense with the starters = maestro now? :lmao

Looks like you've offered lots of stats and facts to this thread yourself.

Hoops Czar
03-23-2015, 03:12 PM
lol no, any mediocre pg can do that. spurs don't need parker to win.

Like Cory Joseph?

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 03:13 PM

Glad you're finally realizing the truth.

dabom
03-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Lets use RPM then. :lmao

dabom
03-23-2015, 03:21 PM
:lmao faggot

Carried to a chip. You still mad. :lmao

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 03:21 PM
whew...

Brazil
03-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Lets use RPM then. :lmao

blablabla... :lmao

:lmao

Malik Hairston
03-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Parker threads are out of style now, tbh, he isn't worth discussing..

His fans remind me of senior dogs with dementia..It's not really fair to expect too much out of them:lol..

Let's hope he keeps playing his role well in the playoffs, and move on:toast

Hoops Czar
03-23-2015, 03:31 PM

:lmao Nothing to see here. Elite poster making elite posts per par.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 03:31 PM
nm

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 03:33 PM

His fans remind me of senior dogs with dementia..It's not really fair to expect too much out of them:lol..

His "role" of scoring and assisting more than any other Spur throughout the post season. Yah indeed let's hope!

Brazil
03-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I'll make sure to PM you on all my other analysis that doesn't make it to the board. If you want, you can send me your email address as well.

no need for the PMs or email address, a Brazil in your quote will be enough in case you are afraid I miss out something... I would not want to prevent my fellow Spurs fans from reading your bb takes tbh... they all deserve to read the goods too

Godbama
03-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Damn this shit is serious.

Malik Hairston
03-23-2015, 03:35 PM
His "role" of scoring and assisting more than any other Spur throughout the post season. Yah indeed let's hope!

Oh hey, 2001 stats!!

Can you tell me more about VHS tapes, too, grandpa?

Brazil
03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

this is a serious thread with serious bb discussion tbh

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

agreed.

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM

Yep. It's in the title.

Brazil.

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Oh hey, 2001 stats!!

Brazil
03-23-2015, 03:58 PM
agreed.

http://barkpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cover-image.jpg

Brazil
03-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Yep. It's in the title.

Brazil.

you need to bold it tbh

happy to help

cantthinkofanything
03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
you need to bold it tbh

happy to help

I don't know how to do all that. Maybe you could just do a search each day for my posts that say "Brazil" in them.

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Oh hey, 2001 stats!!

2014 bro

TheGreatYacht
03-23-2015, 04:26 PM
:lmao ...

Macca76
03-23-2015, 04:27 PM

Man you made my day :lol

Clipper Nation
03-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Tony has been stalling the offense his whole career now. Nothing new. :lmao

03-23-2015, 04:47 PM
parker dropped 8 points in a blowout and as i said had fewer assist than our starting small forward. we did not need parker yesterday.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=42690&dateline=1405389399

03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Glad you're finally realizing the truth.
:lol

ElNono
03-23-2015, 05:26 PM
well, this escalated quickly... just a shame, tbh

RD2191
03-23-2015, 05:32 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=42690&dateline=1405389399

K...
03-23-2015, 06:16 PM
POP QUIZ

Who agrees with this:

BUT...it's really a strange thought that a PG would have the lowest bball IQ of all the players on the court.

TONY PARKER IS SMART ENOUGH TO 4$ RINGS,

ps....i know the op meant to say that parker doesn't pass the ball like a true pg...welcome to 2007 dude. This isn't a new issue. Parker plays his game, it very effective sometimes, less effective other times. If parker was the low IQ scrub you imagine, why wouldn't COJO have taken his spot?

Brazil
03-23-2015, 06:54 PM

:cry

sorry tbh your had good takes in this serious thread about parker passing ability being the worst of Spurs roster... Don't be too depressed tho I'm pretty new serious threads about parker will pop up soon

ElNono
03-23-2015, 06:59 PM
:cry

sorry tbh your had good takes in this serious thread about parker passing ability being the worst of Spurs roster... Don't be too depressed tho I'm pretty new serious threads about parker will pop up soon

We're only 3 weeks away from the playoffs, so you're probably right, tbh

Brazil
03-23-2015, 07:09 PM

Here we go scrah

dont be ashamed... you love dat parker hatin tbh

ElNono
03-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Here we go scrah

dont be ashamed... you love dat parker hatin tbh

'love' sounds corny... it's entertaining, sure... but, you know, I know better than to start a "RIP Tony Paker" thread, tbh...

SASdynasty!
03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=42690&dateline=1405389399:toast

Brazil
03-23-2015, 07:14 PM
'love' sounds corny... it's entertaining, sure... but, you know, I know better than to start a "RIP Tony Paker" thread, tbh...

You should last time it worked pretty well...

oh and we both know tbh

ElNono
03-23-2015, 07:18 PM
You should last time it worked pretty well...

oh and we both know tbh

I don't pretend to be edgy like that, my thing is subtlety... I let robdiaz do the heavy stuff...

Brazil
03-23-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't pretend to be edgy like that, my thing is subtlety... I let robdiaz do the heavy stuff...

Of all you choose to evoke robdiaz doing the heavy work :lol

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Malik Hairston
03-23-2015, 07:38 PM

http://www.xclusivetouch.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/tupac-surprised-laugh-gif.gif

100%duncan
03-23-2015, 08:04 PM

RD2191
03-23-2015, 08:35 PM
:wakeup

HI-FI
03-23-2015, 10:20 PM
OP with the goods. tbh, I've been pretty happy with Parker's play lately. i know Pop has said he wants him to mold more into a John Stockton type, which may not be completely possible but Parker is making some really nice passes lately. He's also gone into Enrique mode when needed, so hopefully he can continue the smart play.

apalisoc_9
03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Parker knows he is getting old.

Improve his jumper and start passing..that's the only way he is going to keep his PG starting gig...

pookenstein
03-24-2015, 02:12 AM
... it's entertaining, sure...

Really? Entertaining?
It stopped beeing entertaining after a few threads.
Now it's just parroting from both sides. One of the usal suspect starts a Parker or Leoard thread (doesn't even matter if it's pro or contra), maybe a few guys try to talk the subject and then, one of the Kawhi or Tony boys reacts and it's the same shit over and over and over again.

ElNono
03-24-2015, 02:45 AM
Really? Entertaining?
Now it's just parroting from both sides. One of the usal suspect starts a Parker or Leoard thread (doesn't even matter if it's pro or contra), maybe a few guys try to talk the subject and then, one of the Kawhi or Tony boys reacts and it's the same shit over and over and over again.

it's like a trainwreck, tbh... you're supposed to just move along, but there's a 3 mile traffic jam because everybody stops and takes a peek... here and there, you can spot a funny line...

I mean, what else is there to do? Rehash how Timmy is under appreciated, how Kawhi should win DPOY but won't, Pop is great/sucks, Gino is done/not done...

Game threads are still pretty good, but other than that, we've had the same team for almost two seasons, there's really very little 'new' to talk about. Even the new guy, Kyle, doesn't play.

Hopefully more coherent discussion will pick up once we're nearing the playoffs.

100%duncan
03-24-2015, 02:47 AM
it's like a trainwreck, tbh... you're supposed to just move along, but there's a 3 mile traffic jam because everybody stops and takes a peek... here and there, you can spot a funny line...

I mean, what else is there to do? Rehash how Timmy is under appreciated, how Kawhi should win DPOY but won't, Pop is great/sucks, Gino is done/not done...

Game threads are still pretty good, but other than that, we've had the same team for almost two seasons, there's really very little 'new' to talk about. Even the new guy, Kyle, doesn't play.

Hopefully more coherent discussion will pick up once we're nearing the playoffs.

Everyone was exhausted after 5 tbh

pookenstein
03-24-2015, 04:32 AM

That's true. PO can' start soo enough. Time to unite against common foes. But what are the odds of that happening? I doubt the Tony/Kawhi threads will find an end. Hopefully the number of threads on these topics drops...

ElNono
03-24-2015, 04:53 AM
That's true. PO can' start soo enough. Time to unite against common foes. But what are the odds of that happening? I doubt the Tony/Kawhi threads will find an end. Hopefully the number of threads on these topics drops...

you mean quality threads like "Max player can't guard Tony Allen"? they'll be a bit of everything... the cliff jumping certainly goes to another level :lol

dabom
03-24-2015, 04:56 AM
you mean quality threads like "Max player can't guard Tony Allen"? they'll be a bit of everything... the cliff jumping certainly goes to another level :lol

pookenstein
03-24-2015, 05:36 AM

Exactly. I'm looking Forward for These Kind of threads....

cantthinkofanything
03-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Really? Entertaining?

that seriously wasn't the point of the thread. I realize there are tons of Parker threads talking about his shortcomings. But the point was that the Spurs have such an incredible team of high BBIQ guys and great passers that at times, TP is one of the worst passers on the floor. Or maybe should say, "least good passer". Thread was not started to besmirch Parker but to recognize how good and smart the rest of the team is.

K...
03-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Well for one, you could have framed it as:

I don't see Tony Parker making the kind of passes the spurs offense depends on....is this indicative of low bb iq or can Parker adjust permanently to the passive pg role"

Instead you wrote "Parker is the stupidest spur, he can't play the good offense"

Fwiw the whole "Tony Parker is not a pg" is old. All this is is the devolution if the Parker Manu battles.

My take is simple, the spurs need both the driving Parker cand the high passing motion offense. Unpredictability makes the spurs unguardable. That's not low bb iq, it's championship strategy.

spurs10
03-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Primum non nocere Not sure of the English interpretation, but this man's avatar says it all.

cantthinkofanything
03-24-2015, 10:52 AM

I don't see Tony Parker making the kind of passes the spurs offense depends on....is this indicative of low bb iq or can Parker adjust permanently to the passive pg role"

LOL. If I woudl have said that, it would have been labeled as a thinly veiled backhand slap to Parker.

Instead you wrote "Parker is the stupidest spur, he can't play the good offense"

LOL again. I didn't' say that.

Fwiw the whole "Tony Parker is not a pg" is old. All this is is the devolution if the Parker Manu battles.

My take is simple, the spurs need both the driving Parker cand the high passing motion offense. Unpredictability makes the spurs unguardable. That's not low bb iq, it's championship strategy.

TP is a point guard. I don't know where else he would play. He's had some good games lately which is encouraging. But I think the days of seeing him blow by opposing player and getting 15 points in the lane on a consistent basis are over. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he can do it night in and night out anymore. So if the rest of the team is struggling, I don't think just giving the ball to Parker and asking him to take over a game is an option anymore.

And FWIW, I think Manu faces the same issues. Age has caught up to him and he can't play his A game every night. But he does have more weapons to fall back on that TP.

Seventyniner
03-24-2015, 10:53 AM

Gotta hand it to the cliff-jumpers, they really elevate their game in the playoffs.

SASdynasty!
03-24-2015, 11:18 AM
A

Exactly, there are games where our shooters are making shots (ex: Atlanta) and Parker is best driving and opening up the floor for them and for easy layups and dunks for Duncan and sometimes Splitter. Then there are nights where we aren't making shots and go on long cold streaks (ex: Milwaukee). For those sometimes we need a few buckets from Parker to stop the bleeding. Same could be said for entire playoff series in general: against the Mavs last year our guys weren't making shots to the point where we needed a game 7 performance from MVParker/Enrique. But there are other series like the Finals where our guys were hot, so we didn't need 30+ point games from Parker...18 a night was more than enough. The Spurs are the type of team that can win on any given night that one of our best players don't show up. We did it in the Dallas series and game 1 of the Finals without Kawhi. We did it on a few nights without Duncan. We did it when Manu had a few bad games. And we did it a few times without Parker. Are we going to win a title if one of those guys is injured the whole time? Probably not, but we can win a few games here and there without any one particular guy for sure.

look_at_g_shred
03-24-2015, 11:26 AM

Clipper Nation
03-24-2015, 11:47 AM
POP QUIZ

Who agrees with this:

BUT...it's really a strange thought that a PG would have the lowest bball IQ of all the players on the court.

TONY PARKER IS SMART ENOUGH TO 4$ RINGS,

ps....i know the op meant to say that parker doesn't pass the ball like a true pg...welcome to 2007 dude. This isn't a new issue. Parker plays his game, it very effective sometimes, less effective other times. If parker was the low IQ scrub you imagine, why wouldn't COJO have taken his spot?
Two absolutely retarded arguments. Being a point guard hasn't made players like MCW any less of a dumb chucker. If rings = BBIQ, then Jeff Ayres must be a basketball genius.

Godbama
03-24-2015, 12:14 PM
damn son
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/no-limit-phoenix-hold-em-how-the-suns-went-all-in-to-build-for-the-future/

2. Tony Parker’s Point-of-Attack Defense

In the most predictable story line of 2015, the Spurs are peaking for the stretch run after an uneven season of injuries, weird rotation choices, hockey substitutions, angry Pop timeouts, and general malaise. Kawhi Leonard is a two-way star, Tiago Splitter is moving fast again, and Boris Diaw looked positively frisky nailing an array of nutty flip shots in San Antonio’s Big Brother beatdown of the Hawks on Sunday.
Parker’s resurgence on offense has been key in San Antonio’s late-season pursuit of a top-four seed, but his defense looks almost as bad now as it did a month ago. He’s running smack into picks, going under screens against good shooters, and falling far enough behind some plays to bust the integrity of San Antonio’s defense. He doesn’t have quite the same zip in closing those gaps, and he was already a minus defender who couldn’t afford much slippage on that end.
The Spurs defense is fine overall, but the Parker issue bears watching depending on their first-round matchup.
Tony was never a great defender though so I'm sure this won't be a big deal now that he's gone from bad to horrible. It's not much of a difference as long as he's back offensively. :toast

lefty
03-24-2015, 09:58 PM
damn son
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/no-limit-phoenix-hold-em-how-the-suns-went-all-in-to-build-for-the-future/

Tony was never a great defender though so I'm sure this won't be a big deal now that he's gone from bad to horrible. It's not much of a difference as long as he's back offensively. :toast

Malik Hairston
03-24-2015, 10:02 PM
damn son

He's not really back offensively, though, compared to past years..he's turning the ball over a lot, and his "hot stretch" was on a homestand against horrible defenses(every D the Spurs went up against was 19th or worse IIRC)..

The problem is that Parker has to play A-level, B+ at worst, offensive basketball to negate the fact that he's a complete liability in every other facet of basketball, at this point..he's a 6-foot tall, 32-year old PG with a ton of mileage and excess weight on his frame..

If he isn't playing elite offense, he's a liability, sadly..in 2012 and 2013, Parker was great on offense most of the time, which negated any defensive shortcomings..

pookenstein
03-25-2015, 01:52 AM
that seriously wasn't the point of the thread. I realize there are tons of Parker threads talking about his shortcomings. But the point was that the Spurs have such an incredible team of high BBIQ guys and great passers that at times, TP is one of the worst passers on the floor. Or maybe should say, "least good passer". Thread was not started to besmirch Parker but to recognize how good and smart the rest of the team is.

My post wasn't ponting at you.

cantthinkofanything
03-25-2015, 08:42 AM
My post wasn't ponting at you.

:tu

lefty
03-25-2015, 09:41 AM
:lol antiquated PG