PDA

View Full Version : Car-size salamander with toilet-seat head ruled ancient rivers

tlongII
03-24-2015, 03:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/03/23/car-size-salamander-with-toilet-seat-head-ruled-ancient-rivers/?intcmp=features

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/876/493/MetoposaurusArtCreditJoanaBruno.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

A small-car-size "super salamander" with a toilet-seat-shaped head may have perished some 220 million to 230 million years ago alongside hundreds of its kin when its lake home dried up, researchers say.

An international team of scientists found several skulls and various other bones — including those of the arm, shoulder and backbone of the amphibian, now called Metoposaurus algarvensis — in an ancient lake bed in southern Portugal. From these bones, the researchers determined that the creature was a new species of metoposaurid, an extinct group of large amphibians.

"Most modern amphibians are pretty tiny and harmless. But back in the Triassic, these giant predators would have made lakes and rivers pretty scary places to be," study co-author Richard Butler, of the University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom, said in a statement. [See Images of the Super Salamander and Its Fossils]

Like other metoposaurids, the amphibian sported a big, broad skull and hundreds of sharp teeth. When its jaws were snapped shut, the beast's head "really looks like a toilet seat," said study co-author Steve Brusatte, of the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. The skull was "circular-shaped with very thin, flat upper and lower jaws," and it would've flapped around this skull, snagging fish in the area's rivers and lakes, he added. Its puny arms and legs meant it likely couldn't move around much on land and thus would have spent much of its time in the water, Brusatte said.

Because the animals seem to have died together, the bones from several individuals were preserved. "We have a site where a lot of these animals died together and were preserved together," Brusatte told Live Science. "So, basically, it's a mass graveyard." The scientists have excavated just a portion of the site and plan to continue digging there.

When the salamanderlike animal was alive, the supercontinent Pangaea was just starting to break apart, and the animal's home would have sat along a rift valley where the continent was unzipping. Plenty of rivers and lakes fed into such a rift valley, Brusatte said.

"These amphibians would've ruled the rivers and swamps and lakes," in the area, he said. And while the amphibian would not have chased after large dinosaurs or mammals, the smaller individuals in these groups likely steered clear of the amphibian predators, Brusatte suggested.

At the time, many of the animal groups that are alive today — including crocodiles, lizards and salamanders (M. algarvensis was a distant relative of today's salamanders) — were just getting their start. "Part of the fabric of that world were these huge amphibians [metoposaurids] — they lived all over the place, especially in the low latitudes," Brusatte said.

This creature, along with most metoposaurids and half of Earth's species, died out at the end of the Triassic period, about 201 million years ago. The mass extinction opened the door to the rise of the dinosaurs, scientists say.

Brusatte and Butler — along with Octavio Mateus, of the New University of Lisbon in Portugal and J. Sebastien Steyer, of the French National Center for Scientific Research — detailed their discovery this week in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.

cantthinkofanything
03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
that would be a pretty ineffective toilet seat

cantthinkofanything
03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
well Steve, it's about the right size but I end crapping all over myself. Maybe if we cut a hole in it.

pgardn
03-24-2015, 06:31 PM
How about large Shovel Head?

Nope, it's clearly a toilet seat. The jaw hinge allowed the top jaw to move up from the river bottom. So stick that in your ever complaining wife's pipe and smoke it.

So the vertebrae were actually attached to a skull that was fused to the bottom jaw, and not the top, in a complete reversal of vertebrate trends?

I think not.

Let us all pause and think before describing ancient animals; for Christsakes I doth protest.

*crinkle trash*

cantthinkofanything
03-24-2015, 07:11 PM
How about large Shovel Head?Nope, it's clearly a toilet seat. The jaw hinge allowed the top jaw to move up from the river bottom. So stick that in your That'd be more like a toilet lid then. The toilet seat should be the one with the hole in it that everyone sits on.

cantthinkofanything
03-24-2015, 07:15 PM
well Steve, it's about the right size but I end crapping all over myself. Maybe if we cut a hole in it.Good idea. Hey, we can still use the solid ones to cover up the seat with the hole in it.Now you're thinking Steve...like a toilet lid.Yep...reminds me of the Shovel Headed Dino Thing

Fabbs
03-24-2015, 07:45 PM
http://www.onedogorganic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Its-the-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown.jpg

Aztecfan03
03-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Good idea. Hey, we can still use the solid ones to cover up the seat with the hole in it.Now you're thinking Steve...like a toilet lid.Yep...reminds me of the Shovel Headed Dino Thing
Are you feeling ok?

pgardn
03-24-2015, 10:15 PM
That'd be more like a toilet lid then. The toilet seat should be the one with the hole in it that everyone sits on.
Yeah.

Im discussing this with myself.

mouse
03-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Theses topics are great.

Three reasons.

1) It shows Science still isn't sure what bones were before what fossils etc...

It's like they fired you from work and you go back each week and they are still arguing on how to do the same shit right when all along that is why they fired you for warning them they don't know shit.

You would think they would admit "hey maybe we fired the wrong guy" not a chance.

That is Science in a nutshell they don't lie or mislead you they just need to "Revise" their findings.

How cool is that Science has a license to lie. Just think if you was a Scientist back when you got caught using dads car. "Did you take my car last night son?" "no sir" "then why is there a half beer in the front seat next to the used condoms" "hold on dad let me Revise I didn't take your car I borrowed it"

ok son good job explaining that to me. I though you was lying to your father but now you've cleared it up".

Just think of all the con men and identity thieves we can let out of prison.

2) With all the reviving going on people who were ridiculed in the forbidden archeology video I posted are starting to look like they had it right the first time. In fact in one of TLongII's topics they mention that documentary.

3) TlongII's links to new bacteria with no eyes and Toilet head alligators is a sign how desperate Science is now and are in panic mode trying to recover from the DNA ass kicking that completely destroyed Darwin and his bullshit theory.

So lets review the last few months in the world of Evolutionists with the help of our resident #1 Darwin fan TLongII.

we have so far...

Microscopic sperm shaped organisms with no eyes.

An old ass 4 inch long jaw bone

and some Toilet seat head Crocodiles.

yep that should blow the complex design of DNA out of the water.

http://media.giphy.com/media/s6F4BVfQqIP0Q/giphy.gif

http://i0.wp.com/www.artofthecell.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Art-of-the-Cell-RNA-Polymerase.gif

/Thread
http://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/giphy.gif