PDA

View Full Version : Cruz to buy insurance via Obamacare, a law he vows to scrap

DMX7
03-24-2015, 08:33 PM
You have to be fucking kidding me... :lmao

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Ted Cruz says he is signing up his family for health care coverage through the Affordable Care Act — a law the Republican presidential candidate has vowed to repeal should he win the White House.

Cruz on Tuesday told The Des Moines Register that his family is looking at plans offered under the health care law.

The Cruz family previously received its coverage through a plan offered by his wife's employer. Heidi Cruz is taking an unpaid leave of absence to help her husband's campaign and is losing access to her health care plan.

The Texas Republican has been a strident opponent of the health care law, also known as Obamacare. He still is telling voters that he will repeal the law if elected president in 2016.

http://news.yahoo.com/cruz-buy-insurance-via-obamacare-222855319.html

RandomGuy
03-25-2015, 07:02 AM
:lol

Oh please, oh please....

As a Democrat, I can only hope that this guy gets the nomination of the GOP.

That would make the drubbing the Mitt "elevator in my garage" Romney got look like a cakewalk.

Luckily, there are still enough sane Republicans to outweigh the crazy wing of their party.

RandomGuy
03-25-2015, 07:02 AM
http://cdn.alternet.org/files/styles/large/public/ted0-1.png

RandomGuy
03-25-2015, 07:03 AM
http://cdn.alternet.org/files/styles/large/public/ted1-3.png

RandomGuy
03-25-2015, 07:03 AM
http://cdn.alternet.org/files/styles/large/public/ted1a-3.png

RandomGuy
03-25-2015, 07:04 AM
http://cdn.alternet.org/files/styles/large/public/ted2-2.png

RandomGuy
03-25-2015, 07:05 AM
http://cdn.alternet.org/files/styles/large/public/ted4-3.png

TDMVPDPOY
03-25-2015, 08:43 AM
wtf does this turd need to buy obamacare, i thought his job the govt already pays for that shit....

boutons_deux
03-25-2015, 08:52 AM
wtf does this turd need to buy obamacare, i thought his job the govt already pays for that shit....

yes, the Congressional TAXPAYER PAID health plans are all 5-star luxury platinum plans.

Cry Havoc
03-25-2015, 09:35 AM
It's amazing how easily the republicans could take the presidency if they just had a candidate that wasn't a total fucking lunatic, or such a sociopath that he could only connect to middle-upper class white America.

The Democrats have a good ground game and organize well, but as a party they have no direction and no consensus.

And the GOP won't even muster a decent challenger. It will still be a close election because of White America, but I can't see anyone in the potential republican field at this point swaying the moderates over.

tlongII
03-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Why is this a big deal? I would imagine it is the only health care plan available to her.

boutons_deux
03-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Why is this a big deal? I would imagine it is the only health care plan available to her.

WTF? she's "family", Krazy Kruz and all Congress MUST have family plans, total, low/no deductible plans.

DarrinS
03-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Harvard-educated
1st term senator
ideological
narcissist
"charismatic"

Pass

tlongII
03-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Here’s some interesting accountability journalism: CNN’s Dana Bash asked Sen. Ted Cruz, a freshly announced 2016 presidential candidate, how his family would get health insurance now that his wife has taken an unpaid leave from her job at Goldman Sachs. “We’ll be getting new health insurance and we’ll presumably do it through my job with the Senate, and so we’ll be on the federal exchange with millions of others on the federal exchange,” the Texas Republican told her.

Yes, there’s irony there, as Bash noted in her interview. Cruz’s statement means that he’ll be getting insurance through the Affordable Care Act, the same law he has committed himself to repealing. As CNN’s MJ Lee reported yesterday, Cruz has previously received insurance through the plan of his wife, Heidi Cruz, via Goldman Sachs, and the family will receive no benefits from the company during her leave.

In his chat with Bash, Ted Cruz noted that, even before Obamacare, federal employees “could get health insurance through their jobs.”

Next issue: Will he take the federal “subsidy” that others on Capitol Hill accept to defray their costs? asked Bash. “We will follow the text of the law,” Cruz said. “I strongly oppose the exemption that President Obama illegally put in place for members of Congress because Harry Reid and Senate Democrats didn’t want to be under the same rules as the American people.” So Bash wanted to know if Cruz would accept the “subsidy.” “I believe we should follow the text of the law,” said Cruz, repeating himself.

tlongII
03-25-2015, 10:25 AM
It is the insurance available to them since his wife left her job at Goldman Sachs. So what?

Winehole23
03-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Cruz believes he should follow the text of the law he wants abolished. civil disobedience ain't his thing.

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Under the Affordable Care Act, members of Congress and some designated congressional staffers are required to obtain health care coverage through the D.C. Health Link Small Business Market.

The Reckoning
03-25-2015, 12:21 PM
umm because he has to?

FromWayDowntown
03-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Interestingly, by enrolling, Senator Cruz could conceivably provide himself with legal standing that he previously did not have to challenge the law in courts, should he choose that route, assuming there is anything to challenge after Burwell is decided. I don't think he'll try that, but that was one of the first things that occurred to me about this particular maneuver (which I don't think is calculated to give rise to a legal challenge).

This appears to have much more to do with Senator Cruz being able to say that he complies with laws that he does not like while campaigning against President Obama with the suggestion that the President does not feel himself so obligated.

SnakeBoy
03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Cruz believes he should follow the text of the law he wants abolished. civil disobedience ain't his thing.

Do you believe it is hypocritical for Cruz to provide health insurance to his family through the only means available to him?

If my grandfathered policy ever gets cancelled I'll HAVE to buy an Obamacare policy, doesn't mean I won't still think it's a shitty law.

Winehole23
03-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Do you believe it is hypocritical for Cruz to provide health insurance to his family through the only means available to him?Nope.

Thanks, Obama!

Blizzardwizard
03-25-2015, 01:06 PM
:lmao

Obamacare is better than anything Cruz or the Repugs can offer up.

boutons_deux
03-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Executive OVERREACH! The Outrage! The CC Spittle! :lol

President Signs Order Making Ted Cruz Ineligible for Obamacare

WASHINGTON — Just hours after Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) told CNN that he had no choice but to sign up for Obamacare, President Barack Obama signed an executive order making Cruz ineligible for coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

“Clearly, the hardship of receiving Obamacare was causing Ted a great deal of pain,” the President said. “This should take care of that.”

Obama acknowledged that the executive order, which makes Cruz the only American expressly forbidden from signing up for Obamacare, was an extraordinary measure, but added, “I felt it was a necessary humanitarian gesture to protect Ted from the law he hates.”

Even as he signed the order, the President said that he was “torn” about barring Cruz from coverage, stating,”He’s definitely someone who would benefit from seeing a doctor.”

In an official statement released later in the day, Cruz blasted the executive order and accused Obama of distorting his position on Obamacare: “I never said I didn’t want to have it. I said I didn’t want everyone else in the country to have it.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/president-signs-order-making-ted-cruz-ineligible-for-obamacare

FuzzyLumpkins
03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
ffs now he is bolding jokes.

Spur_Fanatic
03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Executive OVERREACH! The Outrage! The CC Spittle! :lol

President Signs Order Making Ted Cruz Ineligible for Obamacare

WASHINGTON — Just hours after Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) told CNN that he had no choice but to sign up for Obamacare, President Barack Obama signed an executive order making Cruz ineligible for coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

“Clearly, the hardship of receiving Obamacare was causing Ted a great deal of pain,” the President said. “This should take care of that.”

Obama acknowledged that the executive order, which makes Cruz the only American expressly forbidden from signing up for Obamacare, was an extraordinary measure, but added, “I felt it was a necessary humanitarian gesture to protect Ted from the law he hates.”

Even as he signed the order, the President said that he was “torn” about barring Cruz from coverage, stating,”He’s definitely someone who would benefit from seeing a doctor.”

In an official statement released later in the day, Cruz blasted the executive order and accused Obama of distorting his position on Obamacare: “I never said I didn’t want to have it. I said I didn’t want everyone else in the country to have it.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/president-signs-order-making-ted-cruz-ineligible-for-obamacare

:lmao

Th'Pusher
03-25-2015, 09:29 PM
umm because he has to?

He can purchase private health insurance for his family outside of healthcare.gov. There are plenty of "free market" health insurance providers that would be more than happy to sell him a plan.

boutons_deux
03-25-2015, 09:33 PM
He can purchase private health insurance for his family outside of healthcare.gov. There are plenty of "free market" health insurance providers that would be more than happy to sell him a plan.

buying insurance through state exchanges or healthcare.gov is ACA, but anyone can buy insurance directly with insurers, as always.

Th'Pusher
03-25-2015, 09:47 PM
buying insurance through state exchanges or healthcare.gov is ACA, but anyone can buy insurance directly with insurers, as always.

That's right. So he did not have to buy Obamacare for his family as many have suggested in this thread.

A principled man would have purchased insurance directly through an insurer as opposed to using the exchange.

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Benghazi!!!!!

Th'Pusher
03-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Benghazi!!!!!
Hardly. This story will be forgotten tomorrow if not sooner.

Th'Pusher
03-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Btw cc, I like the way you're subtly evolving into a Ted Cruz fan. I think you should actively campaign for him. Invest some sweat and equity in his campaign. I think it really might pay off for you :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-25-2015, 10:03 PM
I think Cruz is a smart nutter. Not to be taken seriously. However, it's hilarious watching you lefties cream your pants over something as trivial as where the guy is going to buy insurance. Its' not like somebody died.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/A5sH3Efkrjw/hqdefault.jpg

Th'Pusher
03-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Don't think anyone is creaming their pants here. Just pointing out the irony while you and the other Kruz fans are getting defensive.

spursncowboys
03-25-2015, 11:02 PM
You do realize that you can only get insurance through the market place? How is that hypocritical?

SnakeBoy
03-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Don't think anyone is creaming their pants here. Just pointing out the irony while you and the other Kruz fans are getting defensive.

I don't recall seeing any Cruz fans on here and there is no irony in it.

TeyshaBlue
03-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Indeed.

DMX7
03-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Harvard-educated
1st term senator
ideological
narcissist
"charismatic"

Pass

lol Harvard educated.

It's a bad thing when a liberal is (damn elitist!). It's great when a conservative is.

DMX7
03-26-2015, 08:06 AM
I think Cruz is a smart nutter. Not to be taken seriously. However, it's hilarious watching you lefties cream your pants over something as trivial as where the guy is going to buy insurance. Its' not like somebody died.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/A5sH3Efkrjw/hqdefault.jpg

Nobody on this planet had made it more of a crusade than Cruz to get rid of Obamacare -- that's why it's noteworthy.

boutons_deux
03-26-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't recall seeing any Cruz fans on here and there is no irony in it.

Cruz fans here? not relevant to the deliciousness of Krazy "repeal every last word" Kruz shopping for insurance.

Th'Pusher
03-26-2015, 12:06 PM
You do realize that you can only get insurance through the market place? How is that hypocritical?

That's not true. As we've already established. You can buy health insurance directly from a provider. The ACA mandates that you have coverage, not that you purchase it from an exchange.

CosmicCowboy
03-26-2015, 12:14 PM
That's not true. As we've already established. You can buy health insurance directly from a provider. The ACA mandates that you have coverage, not that you purchase it from an exchange.

Can't believe you are still beating this dead horse. The ACA requires Senators to purchase through the exchange.

That is the current law. it is not defending Cruz to point out that you are posting bullshit.

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/05/congress-and-an-exemption-from-obamacare/

elbamba
03-26-2015, 12:33 PM
lol Harvard educated.

It's a bad thing when a liberal is (damn elitist!). It's great when a conservative is.

I certainly don't want to speak for DarrinS but I believe he was showing the similarities to Obama and then indicating that he would pass on Cruz. Just what I took from his post.

DMX7
03-26-2015, 12:36 PM
I certainly don't want to speak for DarrinS but I believe he was showing the similarities to Obama and then indicating that he would pass on Cruz. Just what I took from his post.

Maybe so, but trust me... DarrinS would vote for and love him if he gets the nomination.

SnakeBoy
03-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Even if Cruz were to purchase directly from a provider he would still be purchasing an Obamacare policy. That is all that is available to individuals thanks to Obamacare. Maybe you've forgotten the uproar over millions of cancelled policies and "If you like your plan you can keep your plan".

101A
03-26-2015, 02:21 PM
So Cruz's choices are to either 1) Purchase healthcare through his employer - which was established with the ACA or 2) Purchase healthcare through the private market - again established by the ACA or 3) Not purchase health insurance - which would be in violation of the ACA's mandate?

Am I missing something here? Hey, I bet he pays Social Security, Medicare AND Medicaid Taxes too! Call CNN!

ElNono
03-26-2015, 02:23 PM
So Cruz's choices are to either 1) Purchase healthcare through his employer - which was established with the ACA or 2) Purchase healthcare through the private market - again established by the ACA or 3) Not purchase health insurance - which would be in violation of the ACA's mandate?

Am I missing something here? Hey, I bet he pays Social Security, Medicare AND Medicaid Taxes too! Call CNN!

Not buying insurance is not in violation of anything. It's just much more expensive in the long run.

boutons_deux
03-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Why isn't Cruz's wife covered by Senators' health plan?

This would mean that G-S plan, temporarily discontinued while on leave of absence (but I'm sure G-S could cover LOA for such a famous employee), would be her secondary insurance, so that any expenses not covered by Krazy Kruz's plan would be submitted to the secondary insurer.

That's exactly how it works for one of colleagues, who has a great plan as primary, and sends non-covered expenses to her husband's great plan.

Spurminator
03-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Yes, Ted Cruz is a hypocrite for going on Obamacare

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who announced his run for president on Monday, had a mixed bag of second-day campaigning. On the one hand, he raised $1 million (http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/236874-cruz-says-hes-raised-1-million-since-launching-bid). On the other hand, the right’s champion of “no compromise” assault on Obamacare and much of the rest of the federal government admitted that, yes, he would be going on Obamacare (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/03/25/now-ted-cruz-says-hes-probably-signing-up-for-obamacare-and-hes-definitely-still-trying-to-kill-it/?tid=hpModule_ba0d4c2a-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394).

With Cruz’s wife, Heidi, stepping away temporarily from her job at Goldman Sachs, the Cruz family has to get its insurance somewhere, and the Texas senator has decided that “somewhere” is HealthCare.gov. Thanks to a Republican amendment to the law, the federal government can only offer members of Congress and their staffs insurance that requires going through Obamacare exchanges. Cruz will, however, reject the 75 percent employer contribution that the federal government decided to continue offering to all members and their staffs.

Liberals quickly lobbed accusations of hypocrisy. Conservatives argued back that Cruz is just following the law (http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/24/ted-cruz-proves-obamacare-is-awesome-by-doing-what-it-forces-him-to-do/), like a man who pays income tax even though he believes it is unconstitutional or who follows gun control laws that he doesn’t support.

But this isn’t a case of following the law or not. The law does not require Cruz to get health insurance on the exchanges. Instead of going through the exchanges, he could have paid the tax penalty for not having insurance, “likely cheaper than buying an insurance plan,” (http://www.vox.com/2015/3/24/8285875/ted-cruz-obamacare-enrollment) but at the cost of being uninsured. Or his wife could have applied to COBRA (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-consumer-cobra.html) and extended her benefits from Goldman Sachs for up to 18 months, though she would have to pay all of the premium. Or he could bypass the exchanges and buy insurance directly from a private insurer. Sure, he’d have to spend time navigating the market himself, but I’m sure the Princeton graduate can figure it out.

Each of these options would cost Cruz time, money or both. But several Republican representatives already have purchased insurance without going through the exchanges (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/12/09/whats-congress-doing-about-its-own-health-care/), so it is clearly possible. Yes, Cruz would have to purchase a plan that meets minimum standards established under Obamacare (https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualified-health-plan/), but anyone who thinks that someone with his resources would otherwise buy a plan with excessive co-pays or skimpy coverage is fooling themselves. And Cruz is rejecting the government’s employer contribution, even though he is entitled to it as a member of Congress (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2013/10/16/did-obama-exempt-1200-groups-including-congress-from-obamacare/). That is thousands of dollars a year, and accepting it would still be following the law. So Cruz clearly has already made the decision to spend lots of money to make a symbolic stand. Why not follow through on that and avoid the Obamacare exchanges?

Cruz is not just anyone. He wants us to vote for him for president. He has consistently demanded that his Republican colleagues never compromise. He not only thinks that Obamacare, which he says puts the government “between you and your doctor (http://www.factcheck.org/2015/03/factchecking-ted-cruz/),” is a bad policy; he thinks that it is such an existential threat to the United States and its health-care system that it was worth shutting down the government in an attempt to undermine the law. But suddenly the law and the health system it created is not scary enough for his family? If Cruz really wants to run as the candidate of righteous convictions, he’ll have to do a better job of following his own.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2015/03/25/yes-ted-cruz-is-a-hypocrite-for-going-on-obamacare/?tid=rssfeed

Spurminator
03-26-2015, 02:52 PM
I think this speaks less to hypocrisy and more to hysteria - Cruz and Congressmen of his ilk consistently use apocalyptic rhetoric to describe policies like Obamacare to the point that shutting down the government is seen as the better option. They fail, and life goes on as though they hadn't just predicted total disaster a few months ago.

boutons_deux
03-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Yes, Ted Cruz is a hypocrite for going on Obamacare

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2015/03/25/yes-ted-cruz-is-a-hypocrite-for-going-on-obamacare/?tid=rssfeed

... nailed it.

Thanks, Texas shit kickers, rednecks, tea baggers, Kock suckers, Bible humpers, for staining America with this Krazy Kruz POS.

boutons_deux
03-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Comedian Lewis Black: 'Not Even LSD Prepared Me for Ted Cruz'

http://www.alternet.org/culture/comedian-lewis-black-not-even-lsd-prepared-me-ted-cruz?akid=12934.187590.OXd-qq&rd=1&src=newsletter1033882&t=19

101A
03-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Not buying insurance is not in violation of anything. It's just much more expensive in the long run.

Starting in 2014, the individual shared responsibility provision (http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act/Individuals-and-Families/Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision) calls for each individual to have qualifying health care coverage (known as minimum essential coverage) for each month, qualify for an exemption, or make a payment when filing his or her federal income tax return

http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act/Individuals-and-Families/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision

Tomato, Tomata

ElNono
03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act/Individuals-and-Families/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision

Tomato, Tomata

Exactly, it's not a violation of anything. He would just have to pay the tax + out of pocket, which is likely to be much more expensive.

CosmicCowboy
03-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Yeah, you are missing that the ACA SPECIFICALLY said members of congress had to purchase individual insurance through the ACA. See link in post #41.

Again, I am not defending Cruz, just pointing out that you guys need to get your facts straight.

101A
03-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Why isn't Cruz's wife covered by Senators' health plan?

This would mean that G-S plan, temporarily discontinued while on leave of absence (but I'm sure G-S could cover LOA for such a famous employee), would be her secondary insurance, so that any expenses not covered by Krazy Kruz's plan would be submitted to the secondary insurer.

That's exactly how it works for one of colleagues, who has a great plan as primary, and sends non-covered expenses to her husband's great plan.

Nope. Her plan would be primary. However, GS can not do that for a "famous" employee - without breaking the law, or doing it for every employee. (of course, being GS, they could probably just change their lobyists focus for a few minutes and get whatever law suits them passed in that regard; but I digress).

As for COBRA, yes, the Cruz's could opt for that, but that is probably a not attractive financial option. That said, the Cruz's are apparently comfortable financially - he could afford that. But why should he? He is simply taking advantage of a benefit provided by his employer; I am sure whatever plan he chooses is heavily (or completely) subsidized by his employer.

Do politicians who want taxes raised pay at a higher percentage that is required? Does anyone call them hypocrites for not doing so? (other than Fox News)?

101A
03-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Apparently there is a 10K subsidy. N/M just read the article; he's not taking that.

Th'Pusher
03-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Can't believe you are still beating this dead horse. The ACA requires Senators to purchase through the exchange.

That is the current law. it is not defending Cruz to point out that you are posting bullshit.

Could he buy coverage for his family directly through an insurance provider, yes or no?

boutons_deux
03-26-2015, 04:01 PM
he's not taking that.

how many of the dumbfucks who adore Krazy Kruz can afford to, or would, spurn that much money? my guess is almost none.

DarrinS
03-26-2015, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I thought I was being extremely obvious with that.

Th'Pusher
03-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Even if Cruz were to purchase directly from a provider he would still be purchasing an Obamacare policy. That is all that is available to individuals thanks to Obamacare. Maybe you've forgotten the uproar over millions of cancelled policies and "If you like your plan you can keep your plan".

:lol semantics. It's Obamacare because it meets the requirements of the ACA. I'm just saying if the guy wanted to hold a principled position, he buy healthcare for his family members directly from a provider.

CosmicCowboy
03-26-2015, 04:06 PM
:lol semantics. It's Obamacare because it meets the requirements of the ACA. I'm just saying if the guy wanted to hold a principled position, he buy healthcare for his family members directly from a provider.

I will give you the link AGAIN.

Your bluster is getting tedious. The ACA doesn't treat Congress like an ordinary citizen. They are specifically REQUIRED by the ACA to purhase their personal insurance through the ACA.

Th'Pusher
03-26-2015, 04:19 PM
I will give you the link AGAIN.

Your bluster is getting tedious. The ACA doesn't treat Congress like an ordinary citizen. They are specifically REQUIRED by the ACA to purhase their personal insurance through the ACA.

You did not answer my question. Could senator Cruz purchase health insurance directly through a provider as opposed to an exchange for his family members?

Also, read the WaPo article spurm posted.

Th'Pusher
03-26-2015, 04:49 PM

I get health insurance through my employer which meets the ACA standards. Do I have Obamacare Snakeboy?

spursncowboys
03-26-2015, 10:22 PM
I personally tried to and they redirected me to the healthcare.gov. then they said me getting out of the army wasn't a valid reason why I should get healthcare after the deadline. But ftr getting out of prison is.

spursncowboys
03-26-2015, 10:23 PM
You did not answer my question. Could senator Cruz purchase health insurance directly through a provider as opposed to an exchange for his family members?

Also, read the WaPo article spurm posted.
No

Th'Pusher
03-26-2015, 10:40 PM
The Affordable Care Act does not compel members of Congress to enroll in DC’s health care exchange; it simply cuts off the government contribution to their insurance plans if they buy their policies elsewhere. “The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director,” a summary of the final rule says (https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/benefits-administration-letters/2013/13-207.pdf). “Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.”

In other words, Cruz “could purchase coverage in the outside market but would get no subsidy from the FEHBP program,” Tim Jost clarified for ThinkProgress, referring to the acronym for the federal health care program. “It seems like the primary other option he would have is to take advantage of COBRA through his wife, though he’d be forgoing the employer contribution. He could also buy non-group coverage,” Larry Levitt, Senior Vice President at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said. Cruz could also potentially purchased insurance through his presidential campaign’s presumptive health care insurance. In those instances, however, he would have had to give up his employer’s contribution and likely pay more for insurance than he is now being charged under Obamacare.

Despite initially telling CNN’s Dana Bash that Cruz didn’t pursue other alternatives because “Obamacare has wiped out (http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/politics/ted-cruz-obamacare/) the individual market, leaving Cruz with few options,” his staff is now explaining to reporters that Cruz might skip the DC exchange and sign up for coverage in Texas, through that state’s federal exchange. “As it happens, Cruz appears likely to forego the 75 percent employer contribution he could get as a member of Congress and instead access Obamacare from Texas, which doesn’t have a state exchange,” The Daily Caller reports (http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/24/ted-cruz-proves-obamacare-is-awesome-by-doing-what-it-forces-him-to-do/), adding, “That means Cruz would use HealthCare.gov to get health insurance, at the same time the Supreme Court is considering ruling taxpayer [subsidies] for federal exchange customers illegal.”

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2015/03/25/3638697/ted-cruz-wants-believe-hes-legally-required-sign-obamacare-hes-totally-wrong/

Wild Cobra
03-26-2015, 10:50 PM
You have to be fucking kidding me... :lmao

http://news.yahoo.com/cruz-buy-insurance-via-obamacare-222855319.html

:lol

Oh please, oh please....

As a Democrat, I can only hope that this guy gets the nomination of the GOP.

That would make the drubbing the Mitt "elevator in my garage" Romney got look like a cakewalk.

Luckily, there are still enough sane Republicans to outweigh the crazy wing of their party.

What's wrong with taking advantage of a law?

Does one have to agree with a law to comply with it?

Wild Cobra
03-26-2015, 10:52 PM
This appears to have much more to do with Senator Cruz being able to say that he complies with laws that he does not like while campaigning against President Obama with the suggestion that the President does not feel himself so obligated.

Absolutely. Non-compliance with the law would not be good for him.

Wild Cobra
03-26-2015, 10:53 PM

Yep.

When stupid threads like this are started, we know who are the lemmings...

Nbadan
03-27-2015, 12:44 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/34g65vk.jpg

CosmicCowboy
03-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Texas and California the highest percentage of undocumented aliens too. Funny how those things tend to go together.

boutons_deux
03-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Texas and California the highest percentage of undocumented aliens too. Funny how those things tend to go together.

but TX has not expanded medicaid, for which it has just about the stingiest, most sociopathic rules in the country, and has not setup an exchange.

iow, CC resorts to false equivalence.

spursncowboys
03-28-2015, 06:16 PM
The Affordable Care Act does not compel members of Congress to enroll in DC’s health care exchange; it simply cuts off the government contribution to their insurance plans if they buy their policies elsewhere. “The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director,” a summary of the final rule says (https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/benefits-administration-letters/2013/13-207.pdf). “Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.”

In other words, Cruz “could purchase coverage in the outside market but would get no subsidy from the FEHBP program,” Tim Jost clarified for ThinkProgress, referring to the acronym for the federal health care program. “It seems like the primary other option he would have is to take advantage of COBRA through his wife, though he’d be forgoing the employer contribution. He could also buy non-group coverage,” Larry Levitt, Senior Vice President at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said. Cruz could also potentially purchased insurance through his presidential campaign’s presumptive health care insurance. In those instances, however, he would have had to give up his employer’s contribution and likely pay more for insurance than he is now being charged under Obamacare.

Despite initially telling CNN’s Dana Bash that Cruz didn’t pursue other alternatives because “Obamacare has wiped out (http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/politics/ted-cruz-obamacare/) the individual market, leaving Cruz with few options,” his staff is now explaining to reporters that Cruz might skip the DC exchange and sign up for coverage in Texas, through that state’s federal exchange. “As it happens, Cruz appears likely to forego the 75 percent employer contribution he could get as a member of Congress and instead access Obamacare from Texas, which doesn’t have a state exchange,” The Daily Caller reports (http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/24/ted-cruz-proves-obamacare-is-awesome-by-doing-what-it-forces-him-to-do/), adding, “That means Cruz would use HealthCare.gov to get health insurance, at the same time the Supreme Court is considering ruling taxpayer [subsidies] for federal exchange customers illegal.”

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2015/03/25/3638697/ted-cruz-wants-believe-hes-legally-required-sign-obamacare-hes-totally-wrong/
You cannot purchase healthcare without going through the healthcare.gov market. How else can I write this?

boutons_deux
03-28-2015, 10:09 PM
The federal law does not require anyone to purchase health insurance through the Exchange, though subsidies will only be available for plans sold through the Exchange.

You will be able to purchase this coverage right on the Exchange’s website or through your agent if he or she is approved to sell Exchange plans.

If you would rather buy other health insurance through an insurance agent or broker, you will be free to do so.

http://www.naic.org/index_health_reform_faq.htm

boutons_deux
03-31-2015, 08:28 AM
http://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_960w/Boston/2011-2020/2015/03/27/BostonGlobe.com/EditorialOpinion/Images/0330toon_ohmanCLR.jpg

Cry Havoc
03-31-2015, 12:29 PM
You cannot purchase healthcare without going through the healthcare.gov market. How else can I write this?

Is there a mandate that he has coverage? Yes or no?

spursncowboys
04-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Is there a mandate that he has coverage? Yes or no?
Or you get fined errr I mean taxed.

Cry Havoc
04-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Or you get fined errr I mean taxed.

So... not a mandate, then?

spursncowboys
04-03-2015, 05:11 PM
So... not a mandate, then?
Does he have to go through obama care to get insurance? Why spend time arguing something that has nothing to do with the initial point that Cruz is hypocritical?

boutons_deux
04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Cruz’s Constant References to Jesus Drive Millions to Atheism

WASHINGTON —The Republican Presidential candidate Ted Cruz’s constant references to Jesus Christ in his speeches and campaign ads are sparking a strong interest in atheism among millions of Americans, atheist leaders report.

Since Sen. Cruz (R-Texas) announced his candidacy two weeks ago with the words “God isn’t done with America yet,” a substantial number of Americans “have begun seriously questioning the existence of God,” said Carol Foyler, the executive director of the American Society of Atheists.

“It’s been amazing,” Foyler said. “We’re getting calls from people who are curious about atheism for the first time in their lives. And when we ask them what got them thinking about it, they all say the same thing: ‘I just heard Ted Cruz talk.’ ”

Foyler said that her group often notices a surge in atheism after natural disasters or other traumatic events that rattle people’s faith, but, she added, “We’ve never seen anything like Ted Cruz.”

After Cruz aired an Easter weekend campaign ad in which he spoke of the transformative power of Christ, Foyler said, “Our phones were ringing off the hook.”

“As an atheist, I naturally don’t believe in the power of Christ to transform people,” she said.

“But I definitely believe in the power of Ted Cruz to transform people into atheists.”

Richard Dawkins, the evolutionary biologist and outspoken atheist, said that Cruz’s ability to convert millions to atheism was “nothing short of extraordinary.”

“Ted Cruz has created more atheists in two weeks than I have in decades,” Dawkins said.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/cruzs-constant-references-to-jesus-drive-millions-to-atheism?mbid=nl_Borowitz%20(12)&cndid=&mbid=nl_Borowitz%20(12)&CNDID=&spMailingID=7640732&spUserID=MjczNzc0Njk0NDAS1&spJobID=660537570&spReportId=NjYwNTM3NTcwS0

FuzzyLumpkins
04-06-2015, 12:46 PM

In Texas. Texas is one of the states that has been active in noncooperation though. And frankly it sounds like most of the issues you are having are with the website. Try making a phonecall to bluecross or the like. You can sign up with them directly over the phone if you want. If you want subsidies you have to go through the feds but duh.

RandomGuy
04-06-2015, 09:55 PM
What's wrong with taking advantage of a law?

Does one have to agree with a law to comply with it?

uh, whut? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Monostradamus
04-07-2015, 04:59 AM
It is the insurance available to them since his wife left her job at Goldman Sachs. So what?
Uhhh no it isn't. Just go to the ER!

z0sa
04-07-2015, 05:45 AM
I don't really see the disconnect but whatever, this is just politics as usual. Also, just thought I'd mention that it's Hilary's presidency to lose. It will take an absolutely embarrassing failure for her not to win it, IMHO.

spursncowboys
04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
In Texas. Texas is one of the states that has been active in noncooperation though. And frankly it sounds like most of the issues you are having are with the website. Try making a phonecall to bluecross or the like. You can sign up with them directly over the phone if you want. If you want subsidies you have to go through the feds but duh.
I wish. the website worked quite well. I was just unable to buy it from blue cross when i left the army. I was living in colorado at the time, which has a state marketplace. But non the less, all the healthcare websites, refer you back to healthcare.gov with a comment of how they only sell through that website. This is a little troubling that all you pro obamacare people don't know that.
A little more of my story-so they didn't think getting out of the army and off Tri-care was a good exemption for getting healthcare after the deadline. And there was no way in hell I was going to pay month to month. At the time I thought it was too expensive. But now that I got health coverage this year, it seemed about normal.
So I'm against obamacare and I had to buy it through healthcare.gov. I don't think I'm a hypocrite, or the next president Ted Cruz is a hypocrite. Since it's the law and for all the genuises not getting insurance out of some stance-enjoy that $90/mo per dependent fee errr I mean fine ugh I mean tax. Yeah thats what it is-a tax. Enjoy the tax.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
I wish. the website worked quite well. I was just unable to buy it from blue cross when i left. I was living in colorado at the time, which has a state marketplace. But non the less, all the healthcare websites, refer you back to healthcare.gov with a comment of how they only sell through that website. This is a little troubling that all you pro obamacare people don't know that.

I did it over the phone.

CosmicCowboy
04-07-2015, 05:00 PM
I did it over the phone.

How much was your subsidy?

spursncowboys
04-07-2015, 05:00 PM
I did it over the phone.
I did mine online.