PDA

View Full Version : Is This the Worst Pop Has Coached With the Spurs?

Robz4000
03-24-2015, 09:40 PM
A lot of us have been scratching our heads at his decision making and rotations all season, but we thought it was just his whole "mad scientist" mode that we've seen for years. However, now we're towards the end of March and he's still coaching terribly. Has he ever coached this bad?

KL2
03-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Same Pop, always been a stubborn bastard, plenty of terrible decisions throughout his career.

Darius Bieber
It's the beard.

Dex
If "coaching terribly" means playing Ayers, then...yes. Yes it is.

Floyd Pacquiao
03-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Yes. :lmao not putting green on Ellis

ElNono
03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
I'll wait until the playoffs. I think there's a combination of not wanting to show your cards, and also him really trying to play guys that feel like competing, which doesn't seem to be there every night.

It's not all on Pop... players need to respond, and they've done it for stretches at a time.

TheGreatYacht
03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
It's the beard.

timtonymanu
03-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Pop shouldn't be showing his cards early so I don't necessarily care about the Green on Ellis switch.

His loyalty to Enrique and Belinelli is concerning though. CoJo and Patty were doing fine without Tony and suddenly they are scrubs when he is back. Their rhythm is gone.

Belinelli fucks up all the time but never gets benched. Smh.

TDfan2007
03-24-2015, 10:08 PM
When your players refuse to execute and/or compete on a consistent basis, then there's not much that you can do. Pop could have coached a perfect game, and we still would've lost because the team packed their bags mentally after that 1st quarter.

Johnny RIngo
03-24-2015, 10:13 PM
His coaching hasn't been great this season but he doesn't have much to work with in the way of point guards. Though that's partially his fault seeing as he oversees everything in the front office. Don't know what him or Buford were thinking handing Tony that $50 mil extension.

100%duncan
03-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Pop shouldn't be showing his cards early so I don't necessarily care about the Green on Ellison switch.

His loyalty to Enrique and Belinelli is concerning though. CoJo and Patty were doing fine without Tony and suddenly they are scrubs when he is back. Their rhythm is gone.

Idk man, I mean RC already knows that Green is the best def for Ellis because of last playoffs. Idk how Pop can hide his cards now when he laid it all in last season.

crc21209
03-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Pop shouldn't be showing his cards early so I don't necessarily care about the Green on Ellison switch.

This pisses me off to no end. The other day Belinelli had a stupid halfcourt pass attempt instead of him making the easy pass, yet Pop left him out there. I bet if it had been Green he would have substituted him immediately to chew him out

SpurPadre
03-24-2015, 10:18 PM
I blame Boylen and the carpet-muncher sitting behind Pop, tbh.

NASpurs
03-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Duncan carrying his ass per par.

MultiTroll
03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
:lol "not show his cards by having Green guard 39 points Ellis"?

Like Dallas and the Spurs are going to meet in the 2015 playoffs. :downspin:

DMC
03-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Pop is going to retire. He is going to have Tony still running the team when he does. He might remain as president of basketball operations, but he'll probably stop coaching. He's no idiot. There's nothing in regular season wins, he's got over 1000 of them and 5 rings and still people say he's a bonehead. He's trying to run an organization with a questionable future, so he's basically doing succession training with the people that will still be there. Patty and Cojo and those guys, they will be journeymen, because they aren't good enough to hold down a starting role on a playoff team. Tony, Danny and Kawhi, those guys are the future of the Spurs. You can put people around them and they'll be fine. Tiago probably isn't even in the Spurs' future because he's a system guy first and foremost. He's effective, but I don't see anything remarkable about him that you cannot get from several other bigs in the league if you could acquire them.

So while you guys are hoping Pop sells the farm to win a meaningless regular season game, Pop is still cultivating his crops for the post season. He knows, he's the farmer. You guys are tourists.

Robz4000
When your players refuse to execute and/or compete on a consistent basis, then there's not much that you can do. Pop could have coached a perfect game, and we still would've lost because the team packed their bags mentally after that 1st quarter.

I'm not talking about just tonight, but all season. His lineups and rotations have been garbage, and he refuses to take responsibility when he clearly fucks up. The 1-6 OT record speaks to mental weakness, which is caused by poor coaching more than anything.

DMC
:lol "not show his cards by having Green guard 39 points Ellis"?

Like Dallas and the Spurs are going to meet in the 2015 playoffs. :downspin:
Like we know things about the Danny Green/Ellis matchup that Rick doesn't know.

Malik Hairston
03-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Meh, like Ringo said, the team isn't getting anything from the PG position, tbh..so many injuries, too, exacerbated by the low seed and Pop having to consider long-term rest..

These lineups are frustrating, but Pop has never been known to treat these games like they're must-wins, regardless of the Spurs' seeding..

Harry Callahan
03-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Meh, like Ringo said, the team isn't getting anything from the PG position, tbh..so many injuries, too, exacerbated by the low seed and Pop having to consider long-term rest..

These lineups are frustrating, but Pop has never been known to treat these games like they're must-wins, regardless of the Spurs' seeding..

TBH, Carlisle was going to run that collection of chuckers into the ground to get a win tonight. The Spurs should have been more interested, and they hardly played Duncan and Parker in the second half. Leonard and Splitter were not out there a ton either.

Pop wanted to give Parker and Duncan a light load in the second half anyway. Pop wanted them to have something in the tank for an injured OKC team on Wed.

Trust me, Monta Ellis will have more 4-16 games than 16-27 games the rest of the season. I really despise the Mavericks and their D-Bag fan base. They will swallow any crap that Cuban dishes out.

Malik Hairston
03-24-2015, 10:37 PM
TBH, Carlisle was going to run that collection of chuckers into the ground to get a win tonight. The Spurs should have been more interested, and they hardly played Duncan and Parker in the second half. Leonard and Splitter were not out there a ton either.

Pop wanted to give Parker and Duncan a light load in the second half anyway. Pop wanted them to have something in the tank for an injured OKC team on Wed.

Trust me, Monta Ellis will have more 4-16 games than 16-27 games the rest of the season. I really despise the Mavericks and their D-Bag fan base. They will swallow any crap that Cuban dishes out.

I don't care about the Mavs, tbh, they aren't very good, and I expected them to come out with a good effort after Carlisle blasted them, like you said..I predicted a loss tonight, although I didn't expect the Spurs to dominate early and do a negative 180..

Ellis is a volume chucker, he's going to have games like tonight where he gets hot, he's done it his entire career, it's his game..volume chucking..

However, this team just hasn't shown any consistency, this season, and it's been difficult for Pop to find the correct lineups with the poor production from the PG position + all the injuries..

wildchild
03-24-2015, 10:39 PM
This pisses me off to no end. The other day Belinelli had a stupid halfcourt pass attempt instead of him making the easy pass, yet Pop left him out there. I bet if it had been Green he would have substituted him immediately to chew him out

This.

Beli plays to facilitate the offense and take some shots but when he doesn't any of those things why he's still on the floor? Incomprehensible.

Harry Callahan
03-24-2015, 10:45 PM
I don't care about the Mavs, tbh, they aren't very good, and I expected them to come out with a good effort after Carlisle blasted them, like you said..I predicted a loss tonight, although I didn't expect the Spurs to dominate early and do a negative 180..

Ellis is a volume chucker, he's going to have games like tonight where he gets hot, he's done it his entire career, it's his game..volume chucking..

However, this team just hasn't shown any consistency, this season, and it's been difficult for Pop to find the correct lineups with the poor production from the PG position + all the injuries..

Splitter and Leonard have also had inconsistent play. It's been a grind all season long, and the lineup shuffles have been a very negative situation.

Last year, the Spurs I think were pretty zeroed in on their rotations from the AS Break forward. This year not so much.

Seventyniner
03-24-2015, 10:48 PM
I got the impression that Pop left Kawhi on Ellis as a way to gain experience guarding quicker, smaller guards. If so, Kawhi has a lot to learn.

MultiTroll
03-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Splitter and Leonard have also had inconsistent play. It's been a grind all season long, and the lineup shuffles have been a very negative situation.
Splitter f'd over at least twice tonight by MavRef.
1st one vs Dirks vagina.
2nd one where Tyson Chandler flopped. What a joke.
Taken out after that one.

HI-FI
03-25-2015, 12:05 AM

Cosigned.

Spur|n|Austin
03-25-2015, 12:45 AM
I'll wait until the playoffs. I think there's a combination of not wanting to show your cards, and also him really trying to play guys that feel like competing, which doesn't seem to be there every night.

It's not all on Pop... players need to respond, and they've done it for stretches at a time.

Add this with him walking out of the tunnel game 1 of the playoffs with no beard - boom.

Venti Quattro
03-25-2015, 12:47 AM
He coached worse when they tanked in 1996-97

Budkin
03-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Let's just say he's nowhere near Coach of the Year this year.

therealtruth
03-25-2015, 04:57 AM
Pop has got to learn how to stop these guys from going off against us. That's how you lose games and playoff series.

MultiTroll
03-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Pop has got to learn how to stop these guys from going off against us. That's how you lose games and playoff series.
The carefree lackadasical attitude after we went up 12 in the 1st.

DMC
03-25-2015, 07:32 AM

So Pop was ok with losing to the Mavs as long as he had a decent chance to win against the 8th seed? Or do you think almost every head coach is more concerned with giving a good show at home to season ticket holders than he is on the road?

jjktkk
03-25-2015, 08:31 AM
I'm not talking about just tonight, but all season. His lineups and rotations have been garbage, and he refuses to take responsibility when he clearly fucks up. The 1-6 OT record speaks to mental weakness, which is caused by poor coaching more than anything.

WTF are you watching when you have the Spurs on TV.? How can you legitimately gripe about his overall coaching, when he has had to deal with numerous, early season injuries to Leonard and Parker? Not to mention Splitter's annual calf injuries and Mills trying to get back to form, following his shoulder surgery? How can you expect this team to play like last years team with all these injuries?

Robz4000
03-25-2015, 08:58 AM
WTF are you watching when you have the Spurs on TV.? How can you legitimately gripe about his overall coaching, when he has had to deal with numerous, early season injuries to Leonard and Parker? Not to mention Splitter's annual calf injuries and Mills trying to get back to form, following his shoulder surgery? How can you expect this team to play like last years team with all these injuries?

Earlier in the injuries were an excuse, but everyone has been back and relatively healthy for two months now and he still trots out horrible rotations and plays big minutes to players who shouldn't be getting them. He also has more double standards than he's had in years past that very well may cost the Spurs important pieces come the offseason.

jjktkk
03-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Earlier in the injuries were an excuse, but everyone has been back and relatively healthy for two months now and he still trots out horrible rotations and plays big minutes to players who shouldn't be getting them. He also has more double standards than he's had in years past that very well may cost the Spurs important pieces come the offseason.

If the rotations players were consistently playing well, you think he would continue to change his lineups? Which bench player has be consistent all season?

Robz4000
03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
If the rotations players were consistently playing well, you think he would continue to change his lineups? Which bench player has be consistent all season?

Therein lies the problem; Pop likes to put in bench players like Beli when Green or Leonard make little mistakes, but when Beli fucks up he doesn't do anything. It creates an anxiety for players that can impact their performance on the court, and even hurt the entire team's cohesion and chemistry.

apalisoc_9
03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Therein lies the problem; Pop likes to put in bench players like Beli when Green or Leonard make little mistakes, but when Beli fucks up he doesn't do anything. It creates an anxiety for players that can impact their performance on the court, and even hurt the entire team's cohesion and chemistry.

jjktkk
03-25-2015, 12:42 PM

So your trying to tell me Pops fucking with the players heads,? Are the player's that soft and how do you know this? Why wasn't this a problem last year? Sorry dude, you full of shit, your Pop hate is clouding you better judgment.

urunobili
03-25-2015, 12:45 PM
08 beard Pop was just like this one tbh

Robz4000
03-25-2015, 12:56 PM
So your trying to tell me Pops fucking with the players heads,? Are the player's that soft and how do you know this? Why wasn't this a problem last year? Sorry dude, you full of shit, your Pop hate is clouding you better judgment.

It wasn't a problem last year because they had the ultimate motivation and Pop actually coached at an elite level outside the Dallas series. I've always been a big Pop supporter, even when he's fucked up. The fact of the matter is I call it as I see it, and this year his coaching has been underwhelming.

Cane
03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Replacing Bud with Messina was a huge downgrade tbh

Blake
03-26-2015, 09:04 AM
This thread be quiet today

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 09:14 AM
^^ extra cinnamon on the crumpetts, Chumpie.

Blake
03-26-2015, 09:18 AM
^^ extra salt on your burning hatred, fabbs

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 09:20 AM
^^ extra coolant on your butthurt, canstinkoneverything.

jjktkk
03-26-2015, 09:33 AM
^^ extra coolant on your butthurt, canstinkoneverything.

Too much of a vagina to post in your faggs account fabby?

TampaDude
03-26-2015, 09:34 AM
:lol this thread went off a cliff in a hurry...

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Too much of a vagina to post in your faggs account fabby?
:lol hardly schtikk. Which btw, where did you disappear to?

One of the vagina types took my Fabbs posting off of this Forum.
Reinstatement is long over due.
The soreness should be over by now.

Blake
03-26-2015, 09:43 AM

poor multifabbs

jjktkk
03-26-2015, 09:43 AM

I'm around, just lurking more than posting tbh.

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 09:44 AM
^^ snitch behind it?
Altho i gave nothing to snitch about.

Blake
03-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Rofl who would give enough of a shit about you to beg for you to get locked out?

And what do you think you did?

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Rofl who would give enough of a shit about you to beg for you to get locked out?
You would be at or near the top of the list.

jjktkk
03-26-2015, 10:07 AM
:lol this thread went off a cliff in a hurry...

This thread could turn into another "any popsucker wanna do damage control" type. OP could become the new silver blk mystix.

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 10:28 AM
And what do you think you did?
I think it's better that the one (you?) who knows why they did the censorship speak. Or not. I'm willing to move on to reinstatement with no comment needed.

Since you are asking.

Could be one or multi reasons.

Thread on psychological make up of Spurstalk Multitroll including juuvinile narrcissim hit a nerve. Was not my intention.
"Helping, understanding our Spurstalk Multitrolls"

My wildly popular and well received by most "Pollyana Poppers Crumpetts and Tea Party" thread appears to have reached a butthurt crescendo in 2012 being 5 years of f'd up playoff coaching perfomances. 2013s cherry on top with the choke for the ages was apparantly too much for PPopper multimod to bear with the truthbombs contained in thread.

absoloot66
03-26-2015, 10:35 AM

I was thinking about this very thing during the 1st qtr. last night. About 4-5 minutes into the game, Green gambled on defense which allowed his cover to escape & further break down the defense. Pop immediately headed over to summon Belli to sub in. I wouldn't doubt Pop has told them (Green, especially): "I depend on you guys to be elite defenders - you have that ability; but, if you're gonna screw up on defense, I might as well put in a poor defender (Belli) that won't piss me the f**k off when he screws up: 'cause I don't expect any better." To reinforce the point, he does what he has been doing: utilizing the quick hook. This way, he rewards consistently good defense with more time on the court.

Not quite "mind games", but an agreement where everyone knows what's expected of them.

Blake
03-26-2015, 10:44 AM
You would be at or near the top of the list.

Lmao you calling me poplover has been your harshest attack. I get called worse on an almost hourly basis.

I see you more as a harmless goofball with an odd, lame sense of humor. Stay/go, idgaf

Blake
03-26-2015, 10:44 AM
I think it's better that the one (you?) who knows why they did the censorship speak. Or not. I'm willing to move on to reinstatement with no comment needed.

Since you are asking.

Could be one or multi reasons.

Thread on psychological make up of Spurstalk Multitroll including juuvinile narrcissim hit a nerve. Was not my intention.
"Helping, understanding our Spurstalk Multitrolls"

My wildly popular and well received by most "Pollyana Poppers Crumpetts and Tea Party" thread appears to have reached a butthurt crescendo in 2012 being 5 years of f'd up playoff coaching perfomances. 2013s cherry on top with the choke for the ages was apparantly too much for PPopper multimod to bear with the truthbombs contained in thread.

Lol wild conspiracy theories

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Lmao you calling me poplover has been your harshest attack.
Why are you changing the subject?
I wasn't talking about you being the butthurt ousterer of Fabbs. Or as it turns out maybe i was. :lol

Yes Blakey you may well be part of the mod krew.
Ohhh the mystery! :rolleyes

Blake
03-26-2015, 11:29 AM
You said i was at the top of the list, but the rest of that, i have no clue what you're talking about.

Meh oh well.

Robz4000
03-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Not much coaching involved last night. The team itself showed det championship pride and took care of business. We won't know if Pop has truly been coaching terribly or fucking around until the postseason starts.

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 12:37 PM
We won't know if Pop has truly been coaching terribly or fucking around until the postseason starts.
History being only twice have seeds higher then 4th made the Finals, it would seem the ultimate dumbfuckery to be "fucking around" until the postseason starts.

Robz4000
03-26-2015, 12:47 PM
History being only twice have seeds higher then 4th made the Finals, it would seem the ultimate dumbfuckery to be "fucking around" until the postseason starts.

Tbh, if anyone can do it, its these Spurs. Literally the only team in the West that stands in their way is Golden State provided the Spurs play close to their best.

MultiTroll
03-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Tbh, if anyone can do it, its these Spurs. Literally the only team in the West that stands in their way is Golden State provided the Spurs play close to their best.
I agree!
At times they have balled like last years Champ run.

And a lot of good it did Numb Nutts Pop having #1 seed 09, '11 etc.

urunobili
03-26-2015, 01:15 PM

How about Memphis? :wow

Robz4000
03-26-2015, 01:46 PM
How about Memphis? :wow

Memphis has looked like crap for a couple months now tbh.

jjktkk
03-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Not much coaching involved last night. The team itself showed det championship pride and took care of business. We won't know if Pop has truly been coaching terribly or fucking around until the postseason starts.

LMAO, really so if the Spurs win in convincing fashion, Pop has nothing to do with it, but rather "it is because "The team itself showed det championship pride and took care of business"? Wow this is one of the shittiest takes I've read in a while. Tell me you're trolling.

Southwest Texas Fan
03-26-2015, 02:37 PM
I blame Boylen and the carpet-muncher sitting behind Pop, tbh.

Is she really a lesbian?

SpurPadre
03-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Is she really a lesbian?

Actually, she might be bi.

TD 21
03-26-2015, 07:28 PM
:lol At playing Diaw and Bonner together, particularly against guards who are elite at getting to the rim, like Ellis and Westbrook. It doesn't even matter the match-up or scenario though, barring three of the four centers on the roster being injured simultaneously, these two should never play a meaningful second together. Neither offers a shred of rim protection or defensive rebounding.

Malik Hairston
03-26-2015, 09:26 PM
:lol At playing Diaw and Bonner together, particularly against guards who are elite at getting to the rim, like Ellis and Westbrook. It doesn't even matter the match-up or scenario though, barring three of the four centers on the roster being injured simultaneously, these two should never play a meaningful second together. Neither offers a shred of rim protection or defensive rebounding.

This is true..it was puzzling, too, he inserted Green to cover Westbrook, which was the correct move, but then he expects Danny to stop arguably the most explosive player in the league with Boris Diaw playing C behind him:lol..

GrandeDavid
03-26-2015, 09:55 PM
This certainly hasn't been one of his best!

Brunodf
03-26-2015, 10:14 PM
2011 tbh

Arcadian
03-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Pop is playing "coaching rope-a-dope." When the playoffs start, he'll suddenly play his best rotations and make all the right decisions.

Robz4000
04-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks Pop.

:lmao Austin fucking Rivers torching the defense

DBMethos
04-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Hack a DJ ruined the offensive flow just as it was showing signs of picking up. The next few possessions lost the game.