PDA

View Full Version : Pacers: Larry Bird hopes Westbrook wins 10 MVPs in a row

spursparker9
03-26-2015, 03:42 AM
Speaking with ESPN.com as part of an interview published Wednesday, Bird praised the Thunder guard for weathering various injuries to become one of the game's special players.

"Here's a young man that has had serious injuries -- bad knee injuries throughout his career -- yet every time he walks on the court, you know you're going to get 100 percent from him," Bird said. "He attacks, he's fearless and he plays the way it should be played, so I'm all for him. I hope he wins 10 MVPs in a row. I just love players that compete on a nightly basis and really take the challenge to their opponents."

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/25/8289147/larry-bird-russell-westbrook-10-mvps-comments-2015

Thread
03-26-2015, 06:25 AM
I don't do the MVP shit. I leave that to you children, but, he's a winner and that is rare in this NBA.

Killakobe81
03-26-2015, 07:43 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/25/8289147/larry-bird-russell-westbrook-10-mvps-comments-2015

One thing about Larry he sees through the bullshit.Larry brought it every night and so he doesnt mind guys like Russ that shoot to much as long as they leave everything on the floor. And he knows a lot more about fucking hoops then this entire board including myself. Larry respects competitors because that was what he was about competing and winning. He was very unselfish. But Birs respects those that play differently. McHale was "blackhole" but also a warrior and Bird respected him.

DMC
03-26-2015, 08:20 AM
One thing about Larry he sees through the bullshit.Larry brought it every night and so he doesnt mind guys like Russ that shoot to much as long as they leave everything on the floor. And he knows a lot more about fucking hoops then this entire board including myself. Larry respects competitors because that was what he was about competing and winning. He was very unselfish. But Birs respects those that play differently. McHale was "blackhole" but also a warrior and Bird respected him.

Nah. Bird has a team of oversized pussies. Let's not get all stupid about it.

Buddy Mignon
03-26-2015, 08:59 AM

Boy you people are something special. Let a whiteman give praise and its scripture. Russ is so gotdamn overrated its pathetic. The NBA is a league where average players can pad stats. Russ is an average player. Great players rise in that last 5 minutes. Russ is nowhere to be found when shit matters. Bird don't have one competitor on his team... not one. So much for "the Lord sayeth."

Kool Bob Love
03-26-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't do the MVP shit. I leave that to you children, but, he's a winner and that is rare in this NBA.

Not last night tho.

Killakobe81
03-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Boy you people are something special. Let a whiteman give praise and its scripture. Russ is so gotdamn overrated its pathetic. The NBA is a league where average players can pad stats. Russ is an average player. Great players rise in that last 5 minutes. Russ is nowhere to be found when shit matters. Bird don't have one competitor on his team... not one. So much for "the Lord sayeth."

What? This has nothing do with a whiteman. Bird was a great player best small forward I ever seen pre-Lebron. I am not saying that Westbrook is the 2nd Kobe or the future of PG's I am agreeing with Larry Legend that I love his fire. It probably wont amount to shit (a title) because like his team-mates he cant stay healthy. but while he is he goes from zero to 100 faster than most players I have ever seen. And I love guys that compete and guys that improve their games rather than let their talent waste. Russ has improved his shot and passing. Still takes dumb shots and like DMC I wonder how long he can last but while he is playing I will enjoy and support him as former Bruin. He doesnt play for the Lakers so why do I care if he shoots to much or only plays 60 games a year?

Russ love him or hate him has put up numbers that no one has not even Lebron since MJ. No he is not as good as either guy but to say he doesnt deserve some praise or hype for it is foolish.

Thread
03-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Not last night tho.

That's score. I'm talking about a winner. Westbrook is a winner.

lefty
03-26-2015, 10:04 AM

My nigguh

Cry Havoc
03-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Really? What has he won?

Buddy Mignon
03-26-2015, 10:09 AM
What? This has nothing do with a whiteman. Bird was a great player best small forward I ever seen pre-Lebron. I am not saying that Westbrook is the 2nd Kobe or the future of PG's I am agreeing with Larry Legend that I love his fire. It probably wont amount to shit (a title) because like his team-mates he cant stay healthy. but while he is he goes from zero to 100 faster than most players I have ever seen. And I love guys that compete and guys that improve their games rather than let their talent waste. Russ has improved his shot and passing. Still takes dumb shots and like DMC I wonder how long he can last but while he is playing I will enjoy and support him as former Bruin. He doesnt play for the Lakers so why do I care if he shoots to much or only plays 60 games a year?

Russ love him or hate him has put up numbers that no one has not even Lebron since MJ. No he is not as good as either guy but to say he doesnt deserve some praise or hype for it is foolish.

Listen man... its like you guys never learn. Russ is a contract player... nothing more. He'll upset the apple cart for the sake of his own benefit. And he'll bitch and moan if he doesnt get his way. Now that Bird has made this foolish statement you'll have teams throwing tons of money at this clown. He'd be a 3rd option if their team wasn't stupid enough to let Harden walk. He's not an MVP... not even in this weak league he's playing in.

Mori Chu
03-26-2015, 10:14 AM

It's funny; Kobe scored a lot this year, but he didn't win very many games ... hmm. ...

Thread
03-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Really? What has he won?

Nothing.

Westbrook is a winner.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Nothing.

Westbrook is a winner.

What has he won to define him as such?

Thread
03-26-2015, 10:20 AM
What has he won to define him as such?

Exactly what Bird says that I'd already said on this Forum.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Matt Bonner = winner?

Thread
03-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Matt Bonner = winner?

Absolutely.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Absolutely.

That's fair, I respect the consistency of your definition. I disagree that in a team sport playing hard is the only thing you have to do, particularly if you're an all-star caliber player. Winning at the highest level demands more than that.

benefactor
03-26-2015, 10:53 AM
How can he win 10 MVP's when he'll be out of the the league 6 seasons from now?

Thread
03-26-2015, 10:55 AM
How can he win 10 MVP's when he'll be out of the the league 6 seasons from now?

Be quiet and eat your Cream of Wheat.

Killakobe81
03-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Listen man... its like you guys never learn. Russ is a contract player... nothing more. He'll upset the apple cart for the sake of his own benefit. And he'll bitch and moan if he doesnt get his way. Now that Bird has made this foolish statement you'll have teams throwing tons of money at this clown. He'd be a 3rd option if their team wasn't stupid enough to let Harden walk. He's not an MVP... not even in this weak league he's playing in.

None of that matters to me. As long as he gives high effort stays aggressive and is not a quitter a man with his talent will have my respect. Ultimately he needs to win something that matters but he has Lebron and Tim (and Kobe before that) preventing him from winning a title.

Cry Havoc
03-26-2015, 11:22 AM
None of that matters to me. As long as he gives high effort stays aggressive and is not a quitter a man with his talent will have my respect. Ultimately he needs to win something that matters but he has Lebron and Tim (and Kobe before that) preventing him from winning a title.

You're fine with a player sewing discord and malice into an organization?

~O~
03-26-2015, 11:22 AM
I'd say that what Larry defines as a winner refers to the competitive drive that Russel Westbrook possesses. Unlike many other players, he's at full speed every night. He's already has the physical quickness and speed than a majority of the league to ever keep up with him. His drive to use that night in and out makes him a "winner". Its his teammates more so who are lacking.

DMC
03-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Buddy

DMC
03-26-2015, 12:03 PM

And you were wrong too. You said Harden is a loser but Westbrook is a winner. Meanwhile Harden has his crew in 3rd and Westbrook is in 8th. Harden is the leader of his crew, even when Howard is playing. Westbrook might be called an alpha on here, but we all know Durant is the Thunder. If he leaves, Westbrook will be a tit on an elbow.

Kool Bob Love
03-26-2015, 01:20 PM

youre fuckin losin it b. Holy shit.

Thread
03-26-2015, 01:23 PM
(((You said Harden is a loser))) but Westbrook is a winner.

No, I didn't.

Killakobe81
03-26-2015, 01:34 PM
I'd say that what Larry defines as a winner refers to the competitive drive that Russel Westbrook possesses. Unlike many other players, he's at full speed every night. He's already has the physical quickness and speed than a majority of the league to ever keep up with him. His drive to use that night in and out makes him a "winner". Its his teammates more so who are lacking.

This. You guys go to far with your group think. The guy is a beast maybe not a winner like Cully says (yet) but a beast.

DMC
03-26-2015, 04:03 PM
No, I didn't.

But, Westbrook is a winner on the hoof.

Harden? One cannot say that.

Don't be pedantic. If you're not a winner what are you? Is there a grey area other than that bush between your legs?

DMC
03-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Pacers down by 20 in the 1st quarter against the fucking Bucks. Larry needs to worry more about that shit franchise he's running.

Thread
03-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Don't be pedantic. If you're not a winner what are you? Is there a grey area other than that bush between your legs?

Exactly.

"Harden? One cannot say that."

Malik Hairston
03-26-2015, 09:23 PM
:lol this is exactly what I said upstairs when I made my Westbrook thread, tbh..I wasn't even praising him as a player when I made the thread, I was applauding his competitive drive and relentlessness..

Larry Bird recognizes this, but most White people don't, unfortunately..Russ is targeting a different demographic, though, he's a fashion icon, he isn't trying to reach the average fan IMO..

DMC
03-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Exactly.

"Harden? One cannot say that."

One cannot say Harden? Or did you mean one cannot say Harden is a winner on the hoof?

DMC
03-26-2015, 09:33 PM
:lol this is exactly what I said upstairs when I made my Westbrook thread, tbh..I wasn't even praising him as a player when I made the thread, I was applauding his competitive drive and relentlessness..

Larry Bird recognizes this, but most White people don't, unfortunately..Russ is targeting a different demographic, though, he's a fashion icon, he isn't trying to reach the average fan IMO..

There's a difference between competitive drive and self promotion. Russ won't do what it takes to win. He'll do what it takes to make himself look good.

Thread
03-26-2015, 09:50 PM
One cannot say Harden? Or did you mean one cannot say Harden is a winner on the hoof?

I meant "one cannot say Harden is a winner on the hoof."

Thread
03-26-2015, 09:51 PM
There's a difference between competitive drive and self promotion. ((((((Russ won't do what it takes to win. He'll do what it takes to make himself look good.))))))

That's total horseshit, D.

DMC
03-26-2015, 09:54 PM
I meant "one cannot say Harden is a winner on the hoof."

Why? He doesn't scream and act like a monkey every time he scores?

Thread
03-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Why? He doesn't scream and act like a monkey every time he scores?

He grabbed a calendar & a Magic Marker after Howard went down.

DMC
03-26-2015, 09:57 PM
That's total horseshit, D.

Russ is into self promotion, arguing for rebound stats on a slap of the ball, trying to get his stats instead of trying to win. You cannot chase stats and play team basketball at the same time. Team guys sacrifice stats for team success, Russ doesn't do that.

DMC
03-26-2015, 09:59 PM
He grabbed a calendar & a Magic Marker after Howard went down.What the fuck does that even mean? Are your arguments so weak that you need to cover them with bullshit rhetoric?

He's at 3 in the West. He's the reason why. He was stuck with Josh fucking Smith. Still he's at 3 in the West.

You use a double standard, you seem to think it's ok.

I'm not a fan of James Harden, and I don't think either of them are winners, but if Russ is then James is, and then some.

Thread
03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
What the fuck does that even mean? Are your arguments so weak that you need to cover them with bullshit rhetoric?

He's at 3 in the West. He's the reason why. He was stuck with Josh fucking Smith. Still he's at 3 in the West.

You use a double standard, you seem to think it's ok.

I'm not gonna mince words with you over this, D. Westbrook is a winner. At this point I cannot in good conscience cite Harden in the same manner.

Beaverfuzz
03-26-2015, 10:04 PM
So were Barkley and Karl Malone winners?

Your answer determines your fate on this one.

DMC
03-26-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm not gonna mince words with you over this, D. Westbrook is a winner. At this point I cannot in good conscience cite Harden in the same manner.
So then it's just because you say so. Why don't you just say from the onset that your opinion trumps rationality and common sense?

Thread
03-26-2015, 10:11 PM
So were Barkley and Karl Malone winners?

Your answer determines your fate on this one.

Barkley is a loser.

Malone? I cannot say the same.

DMC
03-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Translation:

I don't like Barkley or Harden

I like Malone and Westbrook

lefty
03-26-2015, 11:21 PM

mah nuggah

Beaverfuzz
03-26-2015, 11:47 PM
Barkley is a loser.

Malone? I cannot say the same.

So Westbrook is a loser.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread
03-27-2015, 12:13 AM
So Westbrook is a loser.

Thanks for clearing that up.

No. Westbrook is a winner.