PDA

View Full Version : California bill: 1st time DUI offenders must install Interlock Device

Infinite_limit
03-27-2015, 01:15 AM
How long til people are forced to install after driving stoned?!?

TDMVPDPOY
03-27-2015, 01:29 AM
revenue raising, but wont address the water issue...lol cali

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 08:46 AM
revenue raising, but wont address the water issue...lol cali

I doubt that it's a significant revenue generator. Considering how much they will be reducing 2nd offenders and the revenue they provide, it might be a wash. I think it's a great idea. Should significanlty reduce drunk drivers.

Infinite_limit
03-27-2015, 01:31 PM
I doubt that it's a significant revenue generator. Considering how much they will be reducing 2nd offenders and the revenue they provide, it might be a wash. I think it's a great idea. Should significanlty reduce drunk drivers.
Most people instructed to install the interlock device don't do it. It's not like you can physically stop someone from obtaining and driving a car.

IMO, the money grab with the interlock is currently unreasonable

- $120/month for DUI classes
- $80/month for interlock device
- $50-100/month for court fines

If they lower the price to $40 bucks a month people would be far more likely to install it

Blake
03-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Most people instructed to install the interlock device don't do it. It's not like you can physically stop someone from obtaining and driving a car.

If they lower the price to $40 bucks a month people would be far more likely to install it

I know people that have had it here in SA and discussed it at length.

Technically the court wants all cars listed at property to have the interlock installed, but realistically, you need to put all cars in your name on it.......which means you'd have to borrow someone else's car for extended periods of time.

And then you have to blow into the breathalyzer in the car and start it about 2-3 times a day to meet a monthly blow quota. This is so that you avoid suspicion that you're driving someone else's car and it also keeps the battery from going dead.

If the car battery goes dead, the interlock will lock up and you won't be able to jump start it. You'll have to pay for towing, reset fees and have to explain to probation officer/judge why it locked up.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 01:57 PM

so it's $80 for the interlock? does that all go to the state? I think some has to go to the company that services the device. And I wouldn't think many people would risk probation revocation by not putting one on if they were sentenced to.

Infinite_limit
03-27-2015, 01:58 PM
I know people that have had it here in SA and discussed it at length.

Technically the court wants all cars listed at property to have the interlock installed, but realistically, you need to put all cars in your name on it.......which means you'd have to borrow someone else's car for extended periods of time.

And then you have to blow into the breathalyzer in the car and start it about 2-3 times a day to meet a monthly blow quota. This is so that you avoid suspicion that you're driving someone else's car and it also keeps the battery from going dead.

If the car battery goes dead, the interlock will lock up and you won't be able to jump start it. You'll have to pay for towing, reset fees and have to explain to probation officer/judge why it locked up.
That is interesting. I was unaware of the monthly blow quota. I've been told the guys involved in towing/resetting/calibrating are basically typical auto shop guys. So you can sometimes pay them off

In California some people purchase "throw away" cars. Get a car for 500 bucks and drive til it's towed for 30 days [and then confiscated]. Obviously you will end up accumulating 30-day towing hold, court fines and increasing the duration of your DMV suspension but if you have a 1 year interlock suspension =>

$80/month * 12 months = 960 + 300 installation/upkeep ......... $1200

Some people rather roll the dice. Because doing it the right way is so expensive

Infinite_limit
03-27-2015, 02:02 PM
so it's $80 for the interlock? does that all go to the state? I think some has to go to the company that services the device. And I wouldn't think many people would risk probation revocation by not putting one on if they were sentenced to.
California is on average $80/month. I believe around $150 for installation and then you need to calibrate it every few months which costs around $50/each time

If you are caught driving with a simple suspension (not revocation) then sometimes the cops allow you to call someone to pick up the car. Then your 2nd time (or first if unlucky) your car is towed and held for 30 days. Which ends up costing around $800. Not counting the couple hundred fines in the DMV

The interlock guarantees people aren't drinking and driving. The price should be lowered so more people participate. The current prices are ridiculous

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 02:05 PM
The interlock guarantees people aren't drinking and driving. The price should be lowered so more people participate. The current prices are ridiculous

Yeah...I'll buy that. The more that participate the better. But I think I was originally countering the point that it was just the state trying to generate revenue. If that was the case, seems like they'd just increase their own fees.

Blake
03-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Oh yeah, they're also using cameras now to take snap shot and time stamp of who blows into the breathalyzer, so forget having passenger blow it for you.

And if someone other than you is blowing and driving your car at 2:15 am, you're gonna need a real good excuse.

Thread
03-27-2015, 03:20 PM
It's been like that for years here in AZ.. You've blown 10 large (minimum) when you blow positive here.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah, they're also using cameras now to take snap shot and time stamp of who blows into the breathalyzer, so forget having passenger blow it for you.

And if someone other than you is blowing and driving your car at 2:15 am, you're gonna need a real good excuse.

No problem. If someone is blowing, there is no way I'm gonna let them try to drive also.

Thread
03-27-2015, 03:32 PM
https://ospace.otis.edu/files/Mde9decc9833bed1cceec95bcee30af93.jpg

Infinite_limit
03-27-2015, 03:36 PM
https://ospace.otis.edu/files/Mde9decc9833bed1cceec95bcee30af93.jpg
Statistics argue 1st time DUI offenders successfully drove drunk 80 times before arrest

A (one way) cab to Downtown for me costs over $100. That is assuming I stay sober before AND i arrange a lift to pick up my car the next day (yeah right)

80 * $100 = $8,000. So I came out about even.

DMC
03-27-2015, 05:54 PM
It's real easy to get around it. Just don't drink and drive.

DMC
03-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Statistics argue 1st time DUI offenders successfully drove drunk 80 times before arrest

A (one way) cab to Downtown for me costs over $100. That is assuming I stay sober before AND i arrange a lift to pick up my car the next day (yeah right)

80 * $100 = $8,000. So I came out about even.
Except you have a DUI on your record.

Thebesteva
03-27-2015, 08:39 PM
It's real easy to get around it. Just don't drink and drive.

Proof you have never experienced a social or party life

DJR210
03-27-2015, 09:10 PM

He's a hypocrite. According to my research I'd say around 98% of people who have consumed alcohol have driven drunk at some point.

My courtesy to society is getting plastered at nearby bars so my drunk drive home is on back streets within a mile from home usually.

Aztecfan03
03-27-2015, 10:00 PM
He's a hypocrite. According to my research I'd say around 98% of people who have consumed alcohol have driven drunk at some point.

My courtesy to society is getting plastered at nearby bars so my drunk drive home is on back streets within a mile from home usually.
And I'm sure that is very scientific research...:rolleyes

DJR210
03-27-2015, 10:13 PM
And I'm sure that is very scientific research...:rolleyes

It was years and years worth of scientific analysis.

z0sa
03-28-2015, 03:21 AM
Drinking and driving just doesnt pay.

Infinite_limit
03-28-2015, 03:25 AM
Drinking and driving just doesnt pay.
It's close

That is the point. It shouldn't be.

In America
- Mass transportation is unreliable or unsafe (check Main Forum)

- Alternate anti-Alcohol solutions are extremely expensive

CosmicCowboy
03-28-2015, 09:00 AM

Why would that be a problem? using a designated driver is the best way not to drive drunk. Getting a first time DUI doesn't mean you have to stop drinking...it just means you have to stop drinking and driving.

CosmicCowboy
03-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Getting a DWI can really suck for a lot of people. Anyone that drives a vehicle for work or even drives their own vehicle for work can get fired or not hired even if they have paid their fines and gotten their licenses back. Company insurers do the screening. I have to send a list of my employees every year to my insurance company for screening.

cantthinkofanything
03-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Getting a DWI can really suck for a lot of people. Anyone that drives a vehicle for work or even drives their own vehicle for work can get fired or not hired even if they have paid their fines and gotten their licenses back. Company insurers do the screening. I have to send a list of my employees every year to my insurance company for screening.What's your point as it relates to the OP? Or was the point just so you can say you have employees?

DMC
03-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Says Larry the Lounge Lizard, 65 year old fatass.

CosmicCowboy
03-28-2015, 03:04 PM
What's your point as it relates to the OP? Or was the point just so you can say you have employees?

GFY

What is the point of YOUR post? Just to show that you are a grumpy little bitch?

Blake
03-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Why would that be a problem? using a designated driver is the best way not to drive drunk. Getting a first time DUI doesn't mean you have to stop drinking...it just means you have to stop drinking and driving.

IIRC,
If you're at the point where you have the breathalyzer installed in your car in SA, chances are you're not supposed to drink at all.

I'll ask my buddy if he remembers the deal, even after he had the ankle alcohol monitor taken off

cantthinkofanything
03-28-2015, 06:21 PM
GFYWhat is the point of YOUR post? Just to show that you are a grumpy little bitch?Next time, when you talk about your bossness, you should post that pic of you holding those hundreds. Nth at was really cool. I don't know which is more impressive. That you have employees or that you make $600 a week.

Blake
03-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Yeah, first time dui, you don't automatically get a breathalyzer in bexar county just yet it looks like.

My buddy was on his second dui arrest and on probation, judge ordered him to be abstinent. Had to take an etg test once a week.

Infinite_limit
03-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Designated Driver
- GF: of course. But at that point I'm going out less and less if I'm already dating

- Friend: unless you go out on a weekly basis, who is willing to spend their entire day/night [Don't return home til 2-3 AM] to drive your ass around? How do you pay them back other than returning the favor the following week? "I'll be your designated driver next Month" just doesn't work.

The Gemini Method
03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
It was a pilot program here for L.A. County, Oakland County, and I believe one more county for about 4 years. Apparently, its worked because they're launching it as a complete program. It won't stop people risking their license because, well, the whole 80 times is real to some. I had a friend who had to put the breathalyzer into their car and he drank one night and tried to operate but had his car locked up since he violated. That got a little more expensive.

Infinite_limit
03-31-2015, 01:14 PM
It was a pilot program here for L.A. County, Oakland County, and I believe one more county for about 4 years. Apparently, its worked because they're launching it as a complete program. It won't stop people risking their license because, well, the whole 80 times is real to some. I had a friend who had to put the breathalyzer into their car and he drank one night and tried to operate but had his car locked up since he violated. That got a little more expensive.
Guy stated a story in our program

His date blew into the breathalyzer throughout the night. He dropped her off and knew his home was under 2 miles away. So he just rode it til it gave out and then he walked home the rest of the way