PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Mavs - rivalry for the ages

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 08:57 AM
They did a segment on the Spurs/Mavs rivalry this morning on the Ticket. Spurs obviously had the upper hand throughout but one of the points they made was it's pretty rare to have 2 teams, each with their superstar player still in tact after so long. Duncan/Dirk has always been something to watch and I guess I'll be a little sad when it's all over. Some great games and series have been played out over the last 14 or 15 years. Pop and his roster mind games, Cuban's whining...all that stuff.

Both teams remaining competitive taking different roads. Spurs being able to hold on to their core players throughout. Mavs having to constantly retool and build around Dirk.

Wouldn't mind seeing one more good series between the two. But the time is running out. I'm looking forward to the game tonight. Should be fun to watch.

Craig Miller (Spurs fan) was pretty unbiased during the segment acknowledging the greatness of both teams. But it didn't keep him from throwing in..."one difference is that the Spurs have a new franchise player to build around and the Mavs don't."

I've loved being a Spurs fan in the mertroplex getting to wear Spurs gear into the AA center. The atmosphere is electric. You can just feel all the Mavs fans wanting to beat the Spurs at least for one game.
What's it like in SA for these games? My guess is that there isn't quite the feel of the games in Dallas. Spursfan knowing they have the better team. Although, hopefully it's pretty raucous tonight.

FromWayDowntown
03-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Unquestionably, it's been a privilege to get to see Tim and Dirk square off all these times for all these years and to watch them grow into super-duper stars before settling in as all-time great players who seem to be among the best at fighting off age. They've played 36 playoff games against each other in 6 series over the last 14 years, with the Spurs holding a 20-16 edge in games and a 4-2 edge in series. I feel fortunate to have seen 21 of the 36 in person.

As much as that's all true, I'd agree that a Spurs/Mavs game in SA these days just doesn't really have the same atmosphere as games against some other teams. There are usually plenty of Dallas fans in the building and they're usually pretty loud if the game allows them to be, but I don't usually feel Spurs fans treating this much differently than a lot of other games. It's not a Tuesday in February against the Bucks, but I'm not sure the building will be as highly-charged tonight as it was a couple of weeks ago when Cleveland came in or as it would have been had OKC been whole a few days ago or as it will be when GST comes to town in a few days. Maybe it's just the familiarity of it all, but I definitely don't think the rivalry is viewed the same way in SA as it is in Dallas.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Unquestionably, it's been a privilege to get to see Tim and Dirk square off all these times for all these years and to watch them grow into super-duper stars before settling in as all-time great players who seem to be among the best at fighting off age. They've played 36 playoff games against each other in 6 series over the last 14 years, with the Spurs holding a 20-16 edge in games and a 4-2 edge in series. I feel fortunate to have seen 21 of the 36 in person.

As much as that's all true, I'd agree that a Spurs/Mavs game in SA these days just doesn't really have the same atmosphere as games against some other teams. There are usually plenty of Dallas fans in the building and they're usually pretty loud if the game allows them to be, but I don't usually feel Spurs fans treating this much differently than a lot of other games. It's not a Tuesday in February against the Bucks, but I'm not sure the building will be as highly-charged tonight as it was a couple of weeks ago when Cleveland came in or as it would have been had OKC been whole a few days ago or as it will be when GST comes to town in a few days. Maybe it's just the familiarity of it all, but I definitely don't think the rivalry is viewed the same way in SA as it is in Dallas.

That's what I would have guessed. One thing that helps make the games so intense in Dallas is the number of Spurs fans in the building. Still a large minority but enough to make a racket when the Spurs make a run. Not to mention that Mavs fan views them(us) as arrogant entitled pricks with the rings and the smug audacity to show up in their arena. But from what I've seen, it's always in good fun and doesn't seem to escalate to anything other than taunting. Hated not making either game this year.

SpursFan86
03-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Tonight will be the 88th time Duncan and Dirk have played against each other. Surely that's up there in terms of the most times two players have faced off in their careers, yes? They've been in the same division for over 15 years, and have faced off in the playoffs several times. Pretty crazy.

weebo
03-27-2015, 10:26 AM
There's 2 teams I can't stand to see the Spurs lose to. The mavs and lakers.:ihit

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Tonight will be the 88th time Duncan and Dirk have played against each other. Surely that's up there in terms of the most times two players have faced off in their careers, yes? They've been in the same division for over 15 years, and have faced off in the playoffs several times. Pretty crazy.

Wow. That's gotta be near the top if not the top. And probably is number one if you limit it to players being on only 1 team. I guess Kobe/Duncan might be compete.

FromWayDowntown
03-27-2015, 10:29 AM
That's what I would have guessed. One thing that helps make the games so intense in Dallas is the number of Spurs fans in the building. Still a large minority but enough to make a racket when the Spurs make a run. Not to mention that Mavs fan views them(us) as arrogant entitled pricks with the rings and the smug audacity to show up in their arena. But from what I've seen, it's always in good fun and doesn't seem to escalate to anything other than taunting. Hated not making either game this year.

I think it was more intense in SA in the 2005-2008 time frame. I think many Spurs fans didn't really see the Mavericks as a threat until the 2006 series and then saw them as a hated rival after 2006. The Mavs' flameouts in 2006 and 2007 probably helped to quell the flames of the fire a bit; had the Mavs won in 2006 (and/or in 2007), I think things would have been much more rancorous and had the Spurs and Mavs met in the playoffs in 2007, it might have been pretty tense in the stands in SA. But when the Mavs didn't get home in 2006 and got bounced in 2007 -- and when the Spurs got their 4th ring following the Mavs' 2007 crash -- I think it eliminated a lot of the intensity in those games from the standpoint of Spurs' fans. Every series since then has been a first round series, and the 2009 and 2010 series didn't really involve teams with legitimate title chances. Even last year's series didn't seem as bound up with the excitement that you'd think the rivalry would suggest.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I think it was more intense in SA in the 2005-2008 time frame. I think many Spurs fans didn't really see the Mavericks as a threat until the 2006 series and then saw them as a hated rival after 2006. The Mavs' flameouts in 2006 and 2007 probably helped to quell the flames of the fire a bit; had the Mavs won in 2006 (and/or in 2007), I think things would have been much more rancorous and had the Spurs and Mavs met in the playoffs in 2007, it might have been pretty tense in the stands in SA. But when the Mavs didn't get home in 2006 and got bounced in 2007 -- and when the Spurs got their 4th ring following the Mavs' 2007 crash -- I think it eliminated a lot of the intensity in those games from the standpoint of Spurs' fans. Every series since then has been a first round series, and the 2009 and 2010 series didn't really involve teams with legitimate title chances. Even last year's series didn't seem as bound up with the excitement that you'd think the rivalry would suggest.

Good point about last year. That was the most humdrum 7 game series I've seen. I think in part because Mavs fans didn't believe they would 1) win the series and 2) advance if they did win. And possibly 3) not realizing that the Spurs were actually contenders.

I've talked to Mavs fans about how close the Spurs were to not advancing and they don't even remember that the series went 7.

SpursFan86
03-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Wow. That's gotta be near the top if not the top. And probably is number one if you limit it to players being on only 1 team. I guess Kobe/Duncan might be compete.

Kobe/Duncan have played 79 times.

The only possibility I can think of is maybe a pair of older players from when the league was much smaller and teams would play each other far more than 4 times a season. But even then, players back then usually weren't playing for 15+ years.

Silver&Black
03-27-2015, 11:27 AM
There's 2 teams I can't stand to see the Spurs lose to. The mavs and lakers.:ihit

tmtcsc
03-27-2015, 11:28 AM
5 titles to 1. Where's the rivalry ? The Spurs have pretty much had their way with the Mavs, owning a 66 % win percentage and 4-2 series edge in the playoffs, and a 60% win percentage in the regular season.

As far as I'm concerned, the Mavs are to the Spurs as the Aggies are to the Longhorns. One side thinks its a rivalry.

SnakeBoy
03-27-2015, 11:35 AM
It can't really be called a rivalry since the Spurs always won but back in the day Suns/Spurs were a favorite matchup of mine. Something about the Suns and their fans always believing this time we are better than the Spurs was just really fun to watch. It was kind of like Charlie Brown always trying to kick the football.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 11:48 AM
5 titles to 1. Where's the rivalry ? The Spurs have pretty much had their way with the Mavs, owning a 66 % win percentage and 4-2 series edge in the playoffs, and a 60% win percentage in the regular season.

As far as I'm concerned, the Mavs are to the Spurs as the Aggies are to the Longhorns. One side thinks its a rivalry.

I disagree. To me a rivalry is competition between 2 teams covering a long period of time. Playing each other 6 times in the playoffs. Not sure you can just look at the stats and say...oh it was never close. And rivalry doesn't mean that the teams have to be equal.

SpursFan86
03-27-2015, 11:51 AM
20-16 in the playoffs seems pretty close to me. Regardless, both teams have been consistently great over those 15ish years, and there have been tons of memorable moments. Throw in the interstate aspect...I don't see how you could argue it's not a rivalry. They've played almost 40 playoff games in the past decade and a half. There have been several intense series.

Do you think there's no rivalry between Kobe/Duncan because Kobe has a 4-2 edge in playoff series?

bigfan
03-27-2015, 12:37 PM
They did a segment on the Spurs/Mavs rivalry this morning on the Ticket. Spurs obviously had the upper hand throughout but one of the points they made was it's pretty rare to have 2 teams, each with their superstar player still in tact after so long. Duncan/Dirk has always been something to watch and I guess I'll be a little sad when it's all over. Some great games and series have been played out over the last 14 or 15 years. Pop and his roster mind games, Cuban's whining...all that stuff.

Both teams remaining competitive taking different roads. Spurs being able to hold on to their core players throughout. Mavs having to constantly retool and build around Dirk.

Wouldn't mind seeing one more good series between the two. But the time is running out. I'm looking forward to the game tonight. Should be fun to watch.

Craig Miller (Spurs fan) was pretty unbiased during the segment acknowledging the greatness of both teams. But it didn't keep him from throwing in..."one difference is that the Spurs have a new franchise player to build around and the Mavs don't."

I've loved being a Spurs fan in the mertroplex getting to wear Spurs gear into the AA center. The atmosphere is electric. You can just feel all the Mavs fans wanting to beat the Spurs at least for one game.
What's it like in SA for these games? My guess is that there isn't quite the feel of the games in Dallas. Spursfan knowing they have the better team. Although, hopefully it's pretty raucous tonight.

As another Spurs fan living in the metroplex I know what you mean. It has been a good rivalry and Ive got a lot of respect for Dirk, he is a clean player and seems like a good guy too. On that note, I hope the Spurs get some bigtime payback tonight. As for The Ticket, the best ever (from a P1)!

Mikeanaro
03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
As another Spurs fan living in the metroplex I know what you mean. It has been a good rivalry and Ive got a lot of respect for Dirk, he is a clean player and seems like a good guy too. On that note, I hope the Spurs get some bigtime payback tonight. As for The Ticket, the best ever (from a P1)!
Not so clean to me, more like a flopping diva vs Spurs.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Good point about last year. That was the most humdrum 7 game series I've seen. I think in part because Mavs fans didn't believe they would 1) win the series and 2) advance if they did win. And possibly 3) not realizing that the Spurs were actually contenders.

I've talked to Mavs fans about how close the Spurs were to not advancing and they don't even remember that the series went 7.

Uhhh, speak for yourself, I was at every home game, and after it came back for game 5 and 7, the stadium was electric. Game 7 was the loudest crowd we had until the Finals. There were Mavs fans starting fights with Spurs fans during game 7 in the stands.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Uhhh, speak for yourself, I was at every home game, and after it came back for game 5 and 7, the stadium was electric. Game 7 was the loudest crowd we had until the Finals. There were Mavs fans starting fights with Spurs fans during game 7 in the stands.

Hmmm. Maybe it was me then. Or maybe since they won the Finals, I've mentally diminished the atmosphere of that first round. I just don't remember ever doubting the outcome and was just blase about the whole thing. Although, in reality, maybe I did have some butt pucker when it got to game 7.

Or maybe after the previous year's disappointment, I wasn't getting emotionally involved.

CGD
03-27-2015, 02:01 PM
The last best NBA rivalry. Can't think of another right now, though Clips-Warriors has potential if they start squaring off in the playoffs.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Hmmm. Maybe it was me then. Or maybe since they won the Finals, I've mentally diminished the atmosphere of that first round. I just don't remember ever doubting the outcome and was just blase about the whole thing. Although, in reality, maybe I did have some butt pucker when it got to game 7.

Or maybe after the previous year's disappointment, I wasn't getting emotionally involved.

After game 2 that entire series was one big disaster, it was incredibly stressful to think our run at redemption couldve ended to Dallas of all teams. Everything was on the line, I was scared and so was every other spurs fan I talked to. And a Diaw shot may have been what delivered a title instead of one of the biggest failures in franchise history.

BatManu20
03-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Great rivalry indeed. There were some good ones, but this is my all-time favorite moment from this rivalry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4caOwS6jI

gameFACE
03-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Great rivalry indeed. There were some good ones, but this is my all-time favorite moment from this rivalry.

I remember Kerr joking after Game 6 '03 about being the "Masterlock Defender of the year in the 6th grade" and that the Mavs didn't know that :lmao

I've been to every Spurs/Mavs playoff game since 2001 and hell yeah, it's a rivalry. I remember sitting baseline at the Alamodome when the Mavs flattened Derek Anderson. Fuck 'em! Also remember a regular season game when a fight broke out in my section the time Duncan scored 53 (even though the Spurs lost the game). It may not be as heated a rivalry as it used to be but it's still fun to see them lose. And I'll be there tonight!

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 04:20 PM
I remember Kerr joking after Game 6 '03 about being the "Masterlock Defender of the year in the 6th grade" and that the Mavs didn't know that :lmao

I've been to every Spurs/Mavs playoff game since 2001 and hell yeah, it's a rivalry. I remember sitting baseline at the Alamodome when the Mavs flattened Derek Anderson. Fuck 'em! Also remember a regular season game when a fight broke out in my section the time Duncan scored 53 (even though the Spurs lost the game). It may not be as heated a rivalry as it used to be but it's still fun to see them lose. And I'll be there tonight!

That was bad. Juwan Howard taking out DA. Not sure how far the Sours were going to go but losing him pretty much killed them.

cantthinkofanything
03-27-2015, 04:40 PM

:bobo

BillMc
03-27-2015, 06:38 PM
think many Spurs fans didn't really see the Mavericks as a threat until the 2006 series

I agree, though the 2003 Mavs won 60 games. They were no joke.

BillMc
03-27-2015, 06:44 PM

Man, wish I hadn't missed that game. It was the only Spurs playoff series I've missed since 1995. I was in Spain with my girlfriend, driving around the countryside. Sigh. Should have watched the game and dumped the girl. :bang

CGD
03-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Man, wish I hadn't missed that game. It was the only Spurs playoff series I've missed since 1995. I was in Spain with my girlfriend, driving around the countryside. Sigh. Should have watched the game and dumped the girl. :bang

What's wrong with you? Haha. Even if it didnt work out with the gal, you take countryside in Spain with girl you're in to all day everyday. You get a pass.

BillMc
03-27-2015, 07:27 PM
What's wrong with you? Haha. Even if it didnt work out with the gal, you take countryside in Spain with girl you're in to all day everyday. You get a pass.

Cheers. :toast It was a good trip, but the die hard Spurs fan in me still wanted to see us take down the Mavs. Crazy, I know. :lol

Sean Cagney
03-27-2015, 08:06 PM

Since 99 for me always has been always will be just this! Those two are their main rivals IMO, the others don't even come close and come and go like the Thunder, Heat etc.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2015, 08:11 PM
After game 2 that entire series was one big disaster, it was incredibly stressful to think our run at redemption couldve ended to Dallas of all teams. Everything was on the line, I was scared and so was every other spurs fan I talked to. And a Diaw shot may have been what delivered a title instead of one of the biggest failures in franchise history.

That Diaw shot was huge, some point to another shot in the playoffs but if he doesn't hit that shot the Spurs probably don't get out of round one IMO. That shot was just flat out huge to be honest.

How can you be a real fan of the team and forget a series last year went 7 games? Then again I would want to forget game 7 as well to be honest with you.

I missed the first three quarters of the game thinking I would be home in time and helping my friend move turned out to be longer than I thought it would be. I come home to turn on the TV and then see us down 70-57 to start the 4th Q, man that had me in a panic and on the edge of my seat to say the least when I saw that, then came the best Q in Spurs history IMO with a barrage of threes from Jax and Kerr and it was pure elation from that point on.

BillMc
03-27-2015, 08:41 PM
I missed the first three quarters of the game thinking I would be home in time and helping my friend move turned out to be longer than I thought it would be. I come home to turn on the TV and then see us down 70-57 to start the 4th Q, man that had me in a panic and on the edge of my seat to say the least when I saw that, then came the best Q in Spurs history IMO with a barrage of threes from Jax and Kerr and it was pure elation from that point on.

Least you got to see the best, most historic quarter. :toast

Phillip
03-27-2015, 09:35 PM
one difference is that the Spurs have a new franchise player to build around and the Mavs don't.

who?

Godbama
03-27-2015, 09:45 PM
who?
Matt Bonner

Phillip
03-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Matt Bonner

makes sense.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Least you got to see the best, most historic quarter. :toast

I will never forget that Q man, remember what I was doing to this day. I remember when they came out of a commercial and I turned the TV on and I saw some girl holding a Van Gundy Sign over her face and they said it's been a magnificent display thus far for the Dallas Mavericks and Welcome to the Jungle was playing, saw the score and said oh damn game 7 is upon us. I remember that whole Q man, so many highs and just an unbelievable display of shooting by the Spurs. Dallas without Dirk was playing way above their heads and finally came back down to Earth.

I still can't believe in game 5 the Spurs let it go with a 17 pt lead at home to close that series out, that was typical of them back then and giving the other team life but man at home and up 17 without Dirk? I still wonder how they blew that and even let it go 6. I am glad game 6 happened though, for that sake we mentioned (Historic).
who?

LOL DALLAS.........

BatManu20
03-28-2015, 12:27 AM

:lol :tu