PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice to Retire

Manu20
09-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Updated: Sep. 5, 2005, 12:19 PM ET
Rice to retire after learning expected role for Broncos

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2152365

Jerry Rice is calling it a career.

The future Hall of Fame receiver is to announce his retirement at a Monday afternoon news conference, ESPN's Andrea Kremer.

Rice, who met with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan earlier in the day, was informed he was not going to be Denver's No. 3 receiver and possibly would not be active for every game. After learning of that role, Rice decided he would rather retire, according to Kremer.

When the Broncos cut down their roster to 53 players on Saturday, the 42-year-old Rice made the squad, but knew he potentially could be Denver's last option at receiver.

Darius Watts' strong performance in Friday night's 30-21 preseason victory over Arizona won him the No. 3 job behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie. Rice had moved ahead of Watts on the depth chart earlier in camp, but Watts' recent push changed the team's thinking.

In fact, Charlie Adams is expected to challenge Watts for the No. 3 job. Adams has been cut a couple times, and he's catching the ball well after getting contact.

Rice signed with Denver this summer in hopes of finishing his career as a backup with the Broncos. He wanted to be the team's No. 3 receiver.

"That was a must for him," Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Workers at the hotel where Rice has stayed since he signed with Denver -- a golf resort close to the Broncos facility -- said Rice's golf clubs were gone, and he checked out of the hotel late last week.

Denver kept six receivers on its final roster, including Rice, Darius Watts, Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe.

After Denver's final preseason game Friday, Rice told the Denver Post: "Those guys deserve to be on the field. They worked real hard. The thing is, I'm going to hold my head high if it doesn't work out."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ABDENOUR POWER
09-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Dangit ... I'm a Broncos fan and I was hoping he'd stay....

TheAdmiral#50
09-05-2005, 08:50 PM
This HOF class will be awesome, with the All time Leading Rusher and Receiver in the same class.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/img5841636.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/San_Francisco_s26_small.jpg

Duff McCartney
09-05-2005, 10:32 PM
I think Emmitt will get in before Jerry does. Or did Emmitt retire this past year? If so then yeah they are the same class.

Horry For 3!
09-05-2005, 11:00 PM
I already knew he was going to retire after he didn't make Broncos 3rd WR.

Horry For 3!
09-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Dangit ... I'm a Broncos fan and I was hoping he'd stay....
No way he would if he was 4th-5th on the Depth Cart. He would barely play because he doesn't play Special Teams.

Chris
09-06-2005, 01:30 AM
What a horrible way to retire. It's too bad because Rice is considered as one of the best wide recievers in NFL history.

samikeyp
09-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Emmitt retired this year so they will be in the same class.

God Bless ya Jerry. Never rooted for you but always respected you.

msufan420
09-06-2005, 01:25 PM
I had to edit this for you:
What a horrible way to retire. It's too bad because Rice is considered as THE best wide reciever in NFL history.

CrashMag
09-06-2005, 01:57 PM
I guess i cant keep him on my
Fantasy team hehe.... But glad he hung it up
i would like to remember him as a great not a
bench warmer.

Chris
09-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I had to edit this for you:

I said one of the best because many think his success was attributed to the great Joe Montana and Steve Young.