PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong donates 500K to Cancer Victims of NO

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-05-2005, 12:26 PM
THought I'd share this. He ponied up 500K to help critical cancer patients from NO get relocated and cover their treatments.

Good stuff :tu

MaNuMaNiAc
09-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Remarkable human being

Sense
09-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Wow.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Shaq donated $500K and people in this forum said he did it for publicity and should have donated more and anonymously.

Lance Armstrong donates $500K and he's "amazing".

Horry For 3!
09-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Shaq donated $500K and people in this forum said he did it for publicity and should have donated more and anonymously.

So much hate towards Lance from Kori.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Is she wrong in this context, though.

People did slam Shaq and other celebs/companies for donating publically. Why not the same for Armstrong.

Samr
09-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Shaq and Lance are BOTH remarkable.

It doesn't matter if it is for publicity or not- half a million is half a million.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I think anyone who bagged on Shaq was just showing their Spurs homerism. I pretty much expected what we saw out of Shaq (money, and showing up at LSU to help).

Jelly
09-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, I was going to say that I thought 500K was kind of cheap considering Lance makes like $27 million a year....but I didn't because I didn't want to give Manny another opportunity to accuse me of being hard to please, so I'm not going to say that I think Shaq and Lance could give more. :)

Nevertheless, that combined 1 mil will certainly do a lot of good. So, two cheers for Shaq and Lance.

Jelly
09-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Also, I think Shaq showed up in Baton Rouge to help out and that really means alot. Haven't seen that from other athletes yet.

timvp
09-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Shaq showing up at LSU trumps anything a celebrity has done. You can say what you want about Shaq, but he's the type of guy who would have been rescuing people off of rooftops if they would have let him.

spurschick
09-05-2005, 06:20 PM
I know that I made a comment in the "Shaq donates" thread regarding donating publicly, but it was towards the people that were criticizing the other athletes/celebrities that supposedly weren't donating anything because it wasn't in the news. I don't know either way if Shaq announced his donation or if the organization did it because they were so happy, but there are obviously those bad apples out there who would do such a thing as donate a lot of money for the publicity. I don't think that Shaq or Lance are those kind of people. Bottom line... the money will be there for the people who need it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I also think criticizing people for not donating enough is pretty rough. Would you like it if we were able to go through your tax information and find out you could've donated $100 instead of the $50 and called you out on it?

Jelly
09-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I also think criticizing people for not donating enough is pretty rough. Would you like it if we were able to go through your tax information and find out you could've donated $100 instead of the $50 and called you out on it?

I have donated $500 so far. And that's a lot more than I can afford. It hurts me to part with that money. Shaq and Lance are not even feeling it.

spurs=bling
09-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Both Shaq & Lance are doing a good thing, Shaq is helping out with other things and Lance is helping out cancer patients to get relocated, i'm sure Tim Duncan would have liked that kinda of help when his mom died when there was no way for his mom to get treatment after the hurricane hit the islands. so God Bless both Shaq & Lance and anybody else who gives money to help the people in New Orleans.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I have donated $500 so far. And that's a lot more than I can afford. It hurts me to part with that money. Shaq and Lance are not even feeling it.

Says who? You.

Donating because you HAVE to is not the same as donating because you want to.

This isn't a dick-measuring contest, Jelly.

Horry For 3!
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Shaq showing up at LSU trumps anything a celebrity has done. You can say what you want about Shaq, but he's the type of guy who would have been rescuing people off of rooftops if they would have let him.
Well, Shaq is a cop now in that one county where ever it is.

Horry For 3!
09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Says who? You.

Jelly is a girl. I believe.

Jelly
09-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Says who? You.

Says anybody that looks at my financial situation. It's beyond what I can afford. That's why it's on a credit card.

I'm glad it's not a dick-measuring contest, cause I don't have a dick, jerk.
And frankly Johnny, I really don't understand why you're being such a combative asshole.

E20
09-05-2005, 07:02 PM
All the able men should go to there local sperm banks and donate whatever money they make out of it.

Jelly
09-05-2005, 07:03 PM
And I don't know what point you're trying to make with the donating because you "have to" compared to "want to" . What the hell does that mean? As far as I can tell, there is no one in this country that "has to" donate anything.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 07:11 PM
And I don't know what point you're trying to make with the donating because you "have to" compared to "want to" . What the hell does that mean? As far as I can tell, there is no one in this country that "has to" donate anything.

Yes, they do. According to you saying that Lance's donation was kinda cheap is saying he should be giving more.

And I'm aware Jelly is a "woman," I was using it as a euphamism.

As far as me being a combative asshole....pot, kettle, black.

Jelly, you should learn that a question is not an attack on you. When I asked about the $100/$50, I was using that as an example...but now, since you've essentially begged for it, I promise to make you my bitch in any thread when you say stupid shit - which is a surprisingly high number.

Thank you, come again.

Jelly
09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=Johnny_Blaze_47]

but now, since you've essentially begged for it, I promise to make you my bitch in any thread when you say stupid shit - which is a surprisingly high number.

QUOTE]

I'm shivering. :lol :lol :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Frankly, I don't care what individuals donate.

Those who donate do so because they want to or feel the need to, they should never be compelled to or increase it based on guilt.

So, yes...you do seem to be making this into a "theoretically for the sarcasm-challenged here" dick-measuring contest.

"MY donation was bigger than yours!"
"I'm going to have to take longer to pay off MY donation!"
"Oh, well, HE can donate more and should!"

Guess what, you're being a bitch. Don't worry, though, we all need to be good at something.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm shivering. :lol :lol :lol

Never mind, I do the same thing this post was about. Carry on.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 07:23 PM

No. It's not about any hate for Lance. I think it's awesome that both he and Shaq donated so much.

I just think a lot of people here are friggin' homer idiots regarding this kind of stuff.

Shaq does it -- it's a self-centered publicity stunt.

Lance does it -- it's another example of what an awesome guy he is.

I don't get that line of thinking. I also don't get the line of thinking to judge how much he gave and say "that's not enough". Fuck that -- you can't degrade people's generousity by judging how much they give.

atlfan25
09-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Fuck Lance, His Donation=shit
He Only Gave A Pathetic 2.2332% Of What He Makes In A Year
Lance Is A Fucking Moron
He Fucking Should Have Given 13.43293% At The Very Minumum!!!
He Is A Fucking Disgrace

-buttons

MannyIsGod
I'm not reading this thread. I know how people are full of shit.

But I want to say this. If you want to bag on ANY effort private citzens are making to help, please list the things you have donated, the time you have given, and any other way you have helped.

spurschick
Judging people on how much money they give is ridiculous. Some people don't have any money to give. Some don't have time to volunteer. But everyone is sending good thoughts towards these people, whether through prayer or other means, and that is as valuable as anything else.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Judging people on how much money they give is ridiculous. Some people don't have any money to give. Some don't have time to volunteer. But everyone is sending good thoughts towards these people, whether through prayer or other means, and that is as valuable as anything else.

M, that thinking is just wrong. I mean, why can't we rip people for donating too little?

Not doing that would be as stupid as somebody trying to make you go all-in when you've got to be holding a flush.

MannyIsGod
09-05-2005, 07:30 PM
:lmao

I'm nobody's friend at the poker table. I told you I'd have all my money back by the end of the night.

spurschick
09-05-2005, 07:31 PM
M, that thinking is just wrong. I mean, why can't we rip people for donating too little?

Not doing that would be as stupid as somebody trying to make you go all-in when you've got to be holding a flush.

:lmao :lmao :lmao You just had to ask how many chips I had.

kris
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM

This is right on the mark. How come when Shaq donated money publicly it was seen negatively? (There was a lot of people in this very forum badmouthing him)

If I donate money, I would hope some people would find out about it. The common assumption is if nobody knows about it, it never happened. I'd like for someone to know that I at least tried to make a difference. I'm not trying to out donate anybody, but I do feel a lot of sympathy for all the tragedy that has reeked havoc on my fellow Americans and I do want others to know I contributed. I can just picture my funeral now: "He seemed like a nice guy most of the time, but I remember back in '05 when he didn't do anything after the hurricane."

If some celebrity is donating for pr, so what? So they are helping out for a self fullfilling purpose? It's still going to a good cause and it's a win-win. Maybe it will inspire others that make $25k to go fill out a $5 donation tag at HEB when they buy groceries.

One more thing, say Lance Armstrong does make $27 million. $500,000 of that is 1/54th of his gross income. That's a lot to donate all at once if you think about it. Even for a upper tier, rich athlete. He has a lot of taxes, cost of living a nice lifestyle, other projects he's doing, etc. Could he logisitically afford to add another $1,000,000 in payroll? Yeah, but why does he have to alot all his money that he possibly can? You don't have to extenuate yourself and bring upon your own hardship to show you care.

kris
09-05-2005, 07:46 PM
PS I hearby challenge MANNY to donate $1 for every 37 posts I make until November 6, 2005.

MannyIsGod
09-05-2005, 07:57 PM
:lol, only if you match 1 dollar for ever 37 of my posts this month.

kris
09-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I tell you what you can choose from either of these two challenge venues.

I will give you 58 cents for every week I get the high score in $250 fantasy football league so that you may choose to disperse to whatever volunteer organization has the least gardeners.

or

I will match every 9th small blind whenever I play poker for the next 22 days and give the proceeds all to the Alex Rodriguez foundation.

MannyIsGod
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
:lol

How about we both make a donation for a specific amount? As long as you don't break me I'll be down.

kris
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Hah I have no money. My gross income consists of loans and poker losses.

For every 1,000 dollars of debt i'm in, you could match 3 cents.

MannyIsGod
09-05-2005, 08:15 PM
:lmao

Next time we play poker, I'll buy you in once in the name of Katrina victims.

kris
09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I did buy a Duece McAllister jersey, so you will be making a difference. :lol

MannyIsGod
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM

I get the strange feeling I just bought a first class ticket to hell.

kris
09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey you want to make a difference?

Subtract 2 from 3.

spurschick
09-05-2005, 09:01 PM
As long as the dealer candle is included, all is well.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-05-2005, 09:04 PM
As long as the dealer candle is included, all is well.

Kris wasn't down with the candle.

MannyIsGod
09-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Kris was anti candle, which is why the karma worked against him.

Horry For 3!
09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
No. It's not about any hate for Lance. I think it's awesome that both he and Shaq donated so much.

I just think a lot of people here are friggin' homer idiots regarding this kind of stuff.

Shaq does it -- it's a self-centered publicity stunt.

Lance does it -- it's another example of what an awesome guy he is.

I don't get that line of thinking. I also don't get the line of thinking to judge how much he gave and say "that's not enough". Fuck that -- you can't degrade people's generousity by judging how much they give.
Oh, ok. :tu I just remembered you didn't like him much so I thought it made sense. :)

CharlieMac
09-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Shaq and Lance are BOTH remarkable.

It doesn't matter if it is for publicity or not- half a million is half a million.

Simple and most effective.

Jimcs50
09-06-2005, 08:48 AM
It is now how much one gives, it is that they do something, anything to help the country recover from this horrible tragedy. We as a country must all pitch in, the govt can not do it by itself, nor should they. Who says that the govt owes us anything? The govt does not have to do anything at all. People need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and help themselves first and foremost, and we Americans, should all be good neighbors and help our neighbors any way we can.

When a farmer had a barn burn down, it was not an insurance company or the govt that rebuilt the barn, it was his fellow townsmen and neighbors that helped him rebuild the barn. This is the foundation that our country was built on.

We are lucky that we do have a govt that does help us in times of need, but they are not by constitutional law compelled to do so. Nobody should look to the govt to help them,they need to just get their neighbors and fellow countrymen( like ourselves) to help them. We are not entitled to anything in this country, other than education of our children, medical trmt for our elderly and the disabled, unemployment benifits for the unemployed because we pay taxes and insurance for that.

So, let us not judge what each of us has done, but let us all just do what in our own hearts we think we need to do to help.

Jimcs50
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

The only time that I said Shaq was trying to get publicity was when he paid for Mikan's funeral.

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
The only time that I said Shaq was trying to get publicity was when he paid for Mikan's funeral.

Go read in the Political Forum in the thread about Shaq donating $500K. People were bashing him. It's pathetic.

Jimcs50
09-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Go read in the Political Forum in the thread about Shaq donating $500K. People were bashing him. It's pathetic.

Stop the hate on Shaq.

My opinion of him was based on your personal experience with him when you met him in LA.

I do not dislike him at all.