PDA

View Full Version : Celts want Leonard

Jordanobili2320
03-29-2015, 02:27 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237220/Celtics-Could-Pursue-Offer-Sheet-With-Kawhi-Leonard

😱

cjw
03-29-2015, 02:31 PM
29 teams could give him an offer sheet. Only one can match it or sign him outright to a max deal. Plus few teams are going to lock up $15mm of cap space for a precious 72 hours for a <5% chance to get the player.

Going to see a lot of clickbait articles like this over the next few months. Kawhi isn't going anywhere and if he were to, the Spurs would extract two arms and a leg in a S&T.

Unrestricted options are much more attainable, particularly guys like Wes Matthews coming off injuries if a team's willing to take a gable (he'll get at least Lance Stephenson money).

exstatic
03-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Too bad. Just another chance to deny them, i.e. Duncan. :lol

Jordanobili2320
03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
Phew tbh

Malik Hairston
03-29-2015, 03:12 PM
29 teams could give him an offer sheet. Only one can match it or sign him outright to a max deal. Plus few teams are going to lock up $15mm of cap space for a precious 72 hours for a <5% chance to get the player.

Going to see a lot of clickbait articles like this over the next few months. Kawhi isn't going anywhere and if he were to, the Spurs would extract two arms and a leg in a S&T.

Unrestricted options are much more attainable, particularly guys like Wes Matthews coming off injuries if a team's willing to take a gable (he'll get at least Lance Stephenson money).

You still think Matthews is going to get paid a substantial amount? Players with his type of injury don't recover well IIRC..

itzsoweezee
03-29-2015, 03:17 PM
There's absolutely no fear that Kawhi takes an offer somewhere else. The scenario Spurs fans should be worrying about is he takes a one year offer and looks for the really big money in 2016, when the salary cap is going to be much bigger.

daslicer
03-29-2015, 03:18 PM
If he ends up with the Celtics he will become the greatest SF in Celtics history and surpass Bird.

TXstbobcat
03-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Spurs will match any offer for Leonard.

bdictjames
03-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Thirsty much. But a lot of teams would want to have a Kawhi. Crazy we only let George Hill go for him, what a great steal.

SpursFan86
03-29-2015, 03:25 PM
We already know he's going to get max offers from several teams...did anyone seriously think no one was going to pursue him? :lol Spurs can match any offer a team throws at him.

There are 3 scenarios where we don't lock him up long-term:

1) He takes the qualifying offer, which would be a huge/stupid gamble, and won't happen. He'd get paid 125% (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) of his salary this year, and then would be a unrestricted FA in 2016.

2) He wants a 1-year deal so that he could pursue a bigger deal when the cap raises the following offseason. This is the most likely of the 3 scenarios, but it's still a big gamble for him, and I don't see it happening.

3) Spurs decide not to match an offer sheet that gets thrown at him. Not happening.

Clipper Nation
03-29-2015, 03:32 PM
:lol Celtics... everybody knows Kawhi's coming home, tbh :downspin:

SpursFan86
03-29-2015, 03:33 PM
:lol Celtics... everybody knows Kawhi's coming home, tbh :downspin:

Westbrook
Kobe
Kawhi
Randle
Okafor

Lakers are back baby

Clipper Nation
03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jCtlNWg.jpg

#Kawhi'mComingHome

RD2191
03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
If kawhi leaves it will be to a cali team. Clips/Lakers.

Malik Hairston
03-29-2015, 03:39 PM
:lol nobody is going to the Lakers while they still have Kobe, tbh..it's the most cancerous situation in pro sports, at the moment..

RD2191
03-29-2015, 03:42 PM
:lol nobody is going to the Lakers while they still have Kobe, tbh..it's the most cancerous situation in pro sports, at the moment..
The dude will retire eventually and you never know. Wasn't Kawhi a huge Lakers fan growing up?

SpursFan86
03-29-2015, 03:42 PM

Nah, it's gotta be NY...at least in LA you get nice weather and a rich history :lol Plus, Kobe will be gone soon. Melo will still be making $25 million for the next 5 years.

BatManu20
03-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Spurs will match any offer made to Kawhi, guaranteed.

apalisoc_9
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
I see that my sources are extending the rumors now around the league.

It's not a given that Leonard will leave, but i have numerous times stated that him staying is 50/50...

I was told a sign and trade is a real possibility. Leonard is hungry and he doesn't feel like he's making the most out of his time here with limitations made by the spurs system.

We will see.

Capt Bringdown
03-29-2015, 04:56 PM
People in hell want ice water.

That being said, how do we rate Leonard this season? There has to be questions about his health and intermittent lack of aggression. I'm not I'd want the Spurs to throw God money at him, but I guess they don't have a choice in this market.

Outlier
03-29-2015, 04:57 PM

It's not a given that Leonard will leave, but i have numerous times stated that him staying is 50/50...

I was told a sign and trade is a real possibility. Leonard is hungry and he doesn't feel like he's making the most out of his time here with limitations made by the spurs system.

We will see.

If you really are Filipino, I'm ashamed of you.

Putanginamo at gago ka, ulol.

peacemaker885
03-29-2015, 05:04 PM
If you really are Filipino, I'm ashamed of you.

Putanginamo at gago ka, ulol.

Wow man that's too much. Although I can't blame you for saying so....

apalisoc_9
03-29-2015, 05:08 PM
I have made numerous correct calls about off season moves and trade deadlines tbh. I won't disclose my real identity, obviously...but to name a few of my calls.

- Goran Dragic leaving the Suns for either Miami or LA two months before the deadline.

- Kevin Love leaving for Boston, Miami or Cleveland

- Brook Lopez didn't get traded but the team said they wanted to trade him..but nothing happend. Still doesn't mean I was wrong...

Leonard is a 50/50 situation..All depending on Leonard's trust level.

Silver&Black
03-29-2015, 05:11 PM
:lmao "my sources"

This nigga has no shame...

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 05:13 PM
I have made numerous correct calls about off season moves and trade deadlines tbh. I won't disclose my real identity, obviously...but to name a few of my calls.

- Goran Dragic leaving the Suns for either Miami or LA two months before the deadline.

- Brook Lopez didn't get traded but the team said they wanted to trade him..but nothing happend. Still doesn't mean I was wrong...

You throw shit against the wall and use a selective memory.

RD2191
03-29-2015, 05:21 PM
You just described 90% of ST posters.

apalisoc_9
03-29-2015, 05:22 PM

nope try again.

with the exception of maybe one or two posters, I have made the most correct trade and signing calls in the last two years.

Obstructed_View
03-29-2015, 05:24 PM

Facepalm

Mel_13
03-29-2015, 05:24 PM
1. The Spurs will match any offer sheet for Leonard, so he'll be a Spur next season.

2. He'll get the max unless he chooses to take less and that is unlikely in the extreme.

3. With the huge cap increase coming in 2016, Leonard at the 2015 max will be a bargain.

4. The only real question is the length of the deal. The Spurs could have locked him up for five years last summer, now we'll see.

5. Lol sources.

Obstructed_View
03-29-2015, 05:25 PM
:lmao

"Based on my incredible sources, contacts, and intuition, he might leave. Also, he might not."

Thanks, bud. I needed that laugh.

DMC
03-29-2015, 05:27 PM
There's absolutely no fear that Kawhi takes an offer somewhere else. The scenario Spurs fans should be worrying about is he takes a one year offer and looks for the really big money in 2016, when the salary cap is going to be much bigger.
The scenario the Spurs fans should be worrying about is that the Spurs sign him to a multi-year deal at the max and he fades next season.

ElNono
03-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Actually, the worst case for the Spurs is if he signs a one or two year only max deal... that would entail a risk for him, but also a larger payday in the future...

BillMc
03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
And I want supermodels. Doesn't mean its going to happen. :lol

apalisoc_9
03-29-2015, 05:49 PM
I have repeatedly gave you guys predictions that happened afterwards. I'm not going to disclose my sources and where I get my information..That's incredibly stupid.

PingPong
03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Kid has knees tendinitis. Non-issue for the next two years, I think. After that, who knows? It's chronic if I'm not mistaken.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 06:02 PM
nope try again.

with the exception of maybe one or two posters, I have made the most correct trade and signing calls in the last two years.

Why do I have to try? It is your assertion much like how you try and divide us into groups and your other trolling we have no reason to believe you. You have no proof of your claim and from reading your takes in general you oversimplify and have difficulty with talking about the sport as it is played on the floor. You bias stats you pull off of bball reference and that is about the extent of your analysis.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Kid has knees tendinitis. Non-issue for the next two years, I think. After that, who knows? It's chronic if I'm not mistaken.

If it was chronic then it's unlikely to disappear for 2 years.

apalisoc_9
03-29-2015, 06:04 PM
My predictions coming true afterwards is proof.

Why would I disclose my sources, since I am assuming that's the proof you guys are looking for..?

That would be suicide on my part.

SilverSpur
03-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Special K will be a Spur for a long time. The Spurs will find a way to keep him without giving him the max, either a huge signing bouns or Incentives and will use the max on a free agent like Kevin Love or use the money to bring over our over seas players
The only way he gets the max is if Duncan retires. I think Ginobilli comes back on a one year deal. Bonner and Ayers are gone

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 06:07 PM
You just described 90% of ST posters.

90% are the same troll so I guess you have a point but most people aren't remotely so obnoxiously vainglorious.

r0drig0lac

sad

BillMc
Spurs FO doesn't often lose players they want to keep. Leonard has gone on record saying he'd like to stay here. It'll probably take the max, but he'll stay.

BillMc
03-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Actually, the worst case for the Spurs is if he signs a one or two year only max deal... that would entail a risk for him, but also a larger payday in the future...
This

100%duncan
03-29-2015, 06:09 PM
1. The Spurs will match any offer sheet for Leonard, so he'll be a Spur next season.

2. He'll get the max unless he chooses to take less and that is unlikely in the extreme.

3. With the huge cap increase coming in 2016, Leonard at the 2015 max will be a bargain.

4. The only real question is the length of the deal. The Spurs could have locked him up for five years last summer, now we'll see.

5. Lol sources.

PingPong
03-29-2015, 06:10 PM
If it was chronic then it's unlikely to disappear for 2 years.

It gets worse with the age.

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/patella-tendonitis-tendinopathy

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 06:10 PM
My predictions coming true afterwards is proof.

Why would I disclose my sources, since I am assuming that's the proof you guys are looking for..?

That would be suicide on my part.

I don't give a shit about your sources and demonstrating some success demonstrates nothing. It is about efficiency and your shitty takes are on a thread by thread basis. Even your take on how to demonstrate your reliability is shit. If you are batting .100 you are going to get 3 hits in 30 AB. You still suck if you name the 3 hits and wave your hands.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 06:12 PM
It gets worse with the age.

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/patella-tendonitis-tendinopathy

Quote the substantive portion of the article. I found them talking about degeneration onset in older people ie senior citizens not anything on prime athletes.

K...
03-29-2015, 06:22 PM
LOL APO needing attention

Ok heres a scenario. Imagine Kawhi or his Agent know early that Duncan and gino are gone. Kawhi reads spurstalk and hates Parker. Kawhi asks the spurs if they are tanking. Spurs say Yes. Spurs are classy and let KAwhi sing and trade somewhere else.

I think this scenario becomes more likely a year or two into the deal. If Kawhi is even 80% of the player he is now his contract will be tradeable.

PingPong
03-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Quote the substantive portion of the article. I found them talking about degeneration onset in older people ie senior citizens not anything on prime athletes.

I saw it years ago, when I had som issues in my knee. I will search a better article and post it.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-29-2015, 06:31 PM
I saw it years ago, when I had som issues in my knee. I will search a better article and post it.

I'm not saying this to slam you but I wouldn't take your personal experiences as really comparable with those of an NBA athlete. I have heard of chronic tendinitis but not all jumpers knee is chronic. I've had it before too and that is not what I was told.

cjw
03-29-2015, 07:09 PM
You still think Matthews is going to get paid a substantial amount? Players with his type of injury don't recover well IIRC..

I was thinking he makes around the MLE but not ridiculous money. Given he was a second rounder, he hasn't made a TON of money and may look for years instead of a prove-it deal. He's young, which helps, but there is still some massive declines among players who've suffered the injury: http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-an-achilles-tear-affects-nba-players-or-why-kobe-472944871

Much worse than an ACL but probably not as bad as the injury was in the 90's.

Uriel
03-29-2015, 07:34 PM
This is just like the Marc Gasol rumor with the Spurs. It isn't really news; it's just the obvious move to make for anyone with half a brain.

heyheymymy
03-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Plus few teams are going to lock up $15mm of cap space for a precious 72 hours for a <5% chance to get the player.

This especially is the thing that makes me not lose any sleep at night. Good point.

cjw
03-29-2015, 08:08 PM
This especially is the thing that makes me not lose any sleep at night. Good point.

Notice how lukewarm RFA has been for guys not shoe-ins to get the max. Though, I guess Hayward got a max offer (matched) this past season and Parsons got that funky offer sheet.

cd98
03-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Dude, Kawhi already has the contract. Spurs just waiting until this offseason so they'll have more money to sign another star player. Everyone knows he's resigning with the Spurs.

Spurs9
03-29-2015, 08:48 PM

We will see.
Thanks for the inside scoop tspense tbh

TampaDude
03-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Kawhi isn't going anywhere. He's a Spur for the foreseeable future.

wildchild
03-29-2015, 11:30 PM

Like itzsoweezee and ElNono said, if Kawhi signs max/2y offer, the last year player option that allows him to hit the market in 2016/17, the Spurs will match that offer?
Spend that money for only one year?

The team can't sign a top-bigman +Kawhi+Danny, but if they will lose Kawhi after a year and they can have Danny or a really good offensive SG for less money and more years than Leonard, they will still match a short term offer?

apalisoc_9
03-29-2015, 11:36 PM
IF kawhi signs max money this year, he is basically doing the spurs a favor.

Many players that had the opportuniy opted to wait 2 years..Like lebron to get the max when the NEW CBA kicks in.

wildchild
03-29-2015, 11:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jCtlNWg.jpg

#Kawhi'mComingHome

The Clips seem the perfect fit for him.
And he's exactly what they need in the perimeter to become contenders. All of them had nothing but kind words for him this season and he could be part of the next Big 3 in the West.
Fortunately the Clips don't have the money to get him.

But they will have it in 2016...

spurraider21
03-30-2015, 12:26 AM
except it does

:lmao nice

i think every player in the league might go to any team this offseason

50/50 for each tho

apalisoc_9
03-30-2015, 12:29 AM
except it does

50/50 for each tho

Nets wanted to trade him but no one wanted Brook. I said a few weeks before the news that BKY is looking to trade Brook..I was 100% right.

So there is 50% chance Parker might leave the spurs? interesting.

Clipper Nation
03-30-2015, 12:38 AM
except it does

50/50 for each tho

Philo-ing again, I see. You seem to be jealous that you don't have any sources, tbh.

Richie
03-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Worst case scenario is Kawhi signs a 2+1 to allow himself to become a free agent in 2017, but the injury risk associated with that is big. I expect he's more likely to take the $85m guaranteed.

spurraider21
03-30-2015, 01:32 AM
Philo-ing again, I see. You seem to be jealous that you don't have any sources, tbh.
:lol sources

Mikeanaro
03-30-2015, 01:39 AM
My ¨sorcerers¨ tell me he will stay with the Spurs.

Old School 44
03-30-2015, 05:59 AM
The only way Kawhi leaves is if he just doesn't want to be here or in the unlikely event someone throws the kitchen sink at the Spurs in a sign & trade. It won't be about contract money. Kawhi will get whatever deal he wants from the Spurs, structured however he wants it.

My hope is Kawhi remains a Spur, and by the time his next next contract is up, he's already rooted here in San Antonio, just like David, Tim, Manu and Tony, and becomes a "Spur for Life".

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-30-2015, 06:05 AM
The only way Kawhi leaves is if he just doesn't want to be here or in the unlikely event someone throws the kitchen sink at the Spurs in a sign & trade. It won't be about contract money. Kawhi will get whatever deal he wants from the Spurs, structured however he wants it.

Not really true. The Spurs can only offer him what the max for 2015 is. Which in total could be worth around $50mil less than the max in 2016. That's a lot of money.

aal04
03-30-2015, 06:05 AM
The only players id accept for him is Anthony Davis, Harden and LBJ

AFBlue
03-30-2015, 07:04 AM
In retrospect, I'm glad we traded Paul George for him.

BillMc
03-30-2015, 07:04 AM
Much more worried about losing Danny, tbh.

Old School 44
03-30-2015, 07:32 AM
Not really true. The Spurs can only offer him what the max for 2015 is. Which in total could be worth around $50mil less than the max in 2016. That's a lot of money.
Like you mention, he can't sign right now for 2016 money. Under the rules and the cap that exist today, you don't believe Kawhi will get whatever deal he wants from the Spurs? I'm not saying the Spurs won't try to negotiate terms that are "in the best interest of the team", but when it gets right down to it, it will be up to Kawhi to choose the type of deal he wants.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-30-2015, 08:36 AM
I think he'll get whatever deal he wants indeed, which might not be the deal the Spurs want ideally.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Like itzsoweezee and ElNono said, if Kawhi signs max/2y offer, the last year player option that allows him to hit the market in 2016/17

That's not possible. Any offer sheet must contain at least two fully guaranteed years and at least three years in total. The Parsons deal is the shortest offer sheet that any RFA can sign.

The only way for Kawhi to be a free agent in 2016 is by signing his Qualifying Offer.

A Parsons-type deal would suck for the Spurs, but they would most certainly match it.

Seventyniner
03-30-2015, 09:17 AM
It's also a misleading thread title. Sure the Celtics would love to have Leonard, but so would 28 other teams.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-30-2015, 09:43 AM

5. Lol sources.

I want a Ferrari, doesn't me I'll get one. Of course Celtics want him. He is probably the 3rd best SF in the behind Lebron and Durant if you base it off this past month's performance.

Just pipe dreaming by other teams. Chances of him leaving are the same as Davis leaving NO. Pretty much 0%.

$pursDynasty
03-30-2015, 09:49 AM
I want a Ferrari, doesn't me I'll get one. Of course Celtics want him. He is probably the 3rd best SF in the behind Lebron and Durant if you base it off this past month's performance.

Just pipe dreaming by other teams. Chances of him leaving are the same as Davis leaving NO. Pretty much 0%.
This! Hell the Spurs want Anthony Davis, that says nothing about the probability of them getting him. What team in the NBA wouldn't want Kiwi? Even the two teams with supposedly better SF would kill to have him on their roster.

look_at_g_shred
03-30-2015, 10:14 AM
The entire league wants leonard.

Brazil
03-30-2015, 10:24 AM
:lol my sources
:lol I have been right afterwards
:lol reaching avante level

Chinook
03-30-2015, 11:48 AM
The Spurs can unilaterally prevent Kawhi from signing a Parsons-like deal by stepping up with a Max QO, which they'll almost certainly do if Tim opts to keep playing. At that point, save accepting the QO, Kawhi would be on the Spurs for at least three more seasons.

Cry Havoc
03-30-2015, 12:07 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-27968-if-you-want-him-come-and-claim-2Ak6.gif

Silver&Black
03-30-2015, 12:11 PM
My sources are starting to tell me that apalisoc is a faggot....

ChumpDumper
03-30-2015, 12:27 PM
I have repeatedly gave you guys predictions that happened afterwards.When?
I'm not going to disclose my sources and where I get my information..That's incredibly stupid.How would that be a change for you?

jermaine
03-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Much more worried about losing Danny, tbh.

I'm with you bro... Kawhi ain't leaving. But Danny might. With Many retiring, Danny leaving, SG. I'll be a huuuuge hole to fill.

Gay Robot
03-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm with you bro... Kawhi ain't leaving. But Danny might. With Many retiring, Danny leaving, SG. I'll be a huuuuge hole to fill.

Mind if I try filling that "huuuuge hole"?

Plum Island
03-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Mind if I try filling that "huuuuge hole"?
Ha ha ha ha! Oh... crap... funny... Ha ha ha ha ha!

ElNono
03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
That's not possible. Any offer sheet must contain at least two fully guaranteed years and at least three years in total. The Parsons deal is the shortest offer sheet that any RFA can sign.

Then what you're saying is that it's indeed possible. Two fully guaranteed max years and a player option for the third year would effectively make it a max/2y offer.

Agreed it would suck for the Spurs, but it would also be risky for Leonard.

EDIT: I'm re-reading what you replied to, and I see what you mean Mel_13... 2 year + PO is possible, the poster suggested 1 year + PO, which is indeed not possible.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
The Spurs can unilaterally prevent Kawhi from signing a Parsons-like deal by stepping up with a Max QO, which they'll almost certainly do if Tim opts to keep playing. At that point, save accepting the QO, Kawhi would be on the Spurs for at least three more seasons.

How does that work? A max QO only matters if he signs it, right?

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Then what you're saying is that it's indeed possible. Two fully guaranteed max years and a player option for the third year would effectively make it a max/2y offer.

Agreed it would suck for the Spurs, but it would also be risky for Leonard.

No. The poster I quoted suggested that he could sign an offer sheet that would allow him to opt out after one season. Perhaps that poster misunderstood your post, but that's why I quoted him and not you.

:bobo

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM

Making the max qo means that an offer from another team must contain at three guaranteed years.

Chinook
03-30-2015, 12:53 PM

Yes, but a max QO is for five years no options and max raises. It's pretty much going to be the contract Kawhi inks with the Spurs anyway, but the difference is that offering that kind of QO is more restrictive for teams trying to give offer sheets.

If the player is coming off the fourth year of his rookie scale contract, then in addition to a qualifying offer, his team can also submit a maximum qualifying offer. A maximum qualifying offer is for five seasons at the maximum salary with 7.5% annual raises. It can contain no options, ETOs or bonuses of any kind, and must be fully guaranteed. When a team submits a maximum qualifying offer (in essence "stepping up" with a maximum contract offer before the player hits the free agent market), it places a more stringent requirement on other teams' offer sheets (see below).

A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer (see question number 46 (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q46)).

When a restricted free agent wants to sign with another team, the player and team sign an offer sheet, the principal terms of which the original team is given three days to match.4 The offer sheet must be for at least two seasons (not including option years). If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years). If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within three days, the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet (but not the non-principal terms). If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within three days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the offer sheet becomes an official contract with the new team.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 12:54 PM
In the end, I believe that Kawhi will sign a max five year deal with the Spurs that has a player option after the third year.

Chinook
03-30-2015, 12:59 PM
In the end, I believe that Kawhi will sign a max five year deal with the Spurs that has a player option after the third year.

POs can only be before the final year.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
POs can only be before the final year.

Thanks.

Then a 4 year deal with a PO before year 3.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 01:14 PM
No. The poster I quoted suggested that he could sign an offer sheet that would allow him to opt out after one season. Perhaps that poster misunderstood your post, but that's why I quoted him and not you.

Yes, I edited my post to point that out. My bad. :bobo

BTW, didn't Lebron sign a Parsons-type deal too?

ElNono
03-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Yes, but a max QO is for five years no options and max raises. It's pretty much going to be the contract Kawhi inks with the Spurs anyway, but the difference is that offering that kind of QO is more restrictive for teams trying to give offer sheets.

Thanks, but that sounds like playing hardball to me, especially the no bonuses, no ETO situation. I guess if Kawhi feels he's getting lowballed, he can always sign the 1 year QO and become a UFA next summer.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 01:20 PM

I think this is probably the most sensible way to go for him.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Yes, I edited my post to point that out. My bad. :bobo

BTW, didn't Lebron sign a Parsons-type deal too?

I believe that he signed a two year deal with an opt out after year one. That was a contract, not an offer sheet as he was unrestricted this past summer.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Thanks, but that sounds like playing hardball to me, especially the no bonuses, no ETO situation. I guess if Kawhi feels he's getting lowballed, he can always sign the 1 year QO and become a UFA next summer.

The purpose of the max QO is to limit what type of offer sheets other teams can offer. Kawhi and the Spurs can still negotiate any contract that is mutually agreeable.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 01:31 PM
I believe that he signed a two year deal with an opt out after year one. That was a contract, not an offer sheet as he was unrestricted this past summer.

Thanks, forgot he was UFA.

The purpose of the max QO is to limit what type of offer sheets other teams can offer. Kawhi and the Spurs can still negotiate any contract that is mutually agreeable.

Yeah, but that severely limits his options if a mutual agreement can't be reached, especially if he's looking into cashing into a new contract within 2 years. I guess he has to suck it up for being a RFA... or play for the rookie scale for one more season and become a UFA.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Yeah, but that severely limits his options if a mutual agreement can't be reached, especially if he's looking into cashing into a new contract within 2 years. I guess he has to suck it up for being a RFA... or play for the rookie scale for one more season and become a UFA.

It could, but I honestly don't see the two sides having much trouble reaching an agreement. If the Spurs were to hardball him, he could always sign the least team friendly offer sheet possible. Some team will accommodate him.

cjw
03-30-2015, 01:58 PM
He's going to get the five year max. No reason not to give it to him with the cap going up like it is and having Splitter cheap. Even Parker's $12.5/yr looks better with the cap going up as much as it is.

One of the top defenders in the league who is putting up 19/7 on over 52% from the field all but guarantee that.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 02:00 PM
It could, but I honestly don't see the two sides having much trouble reaching an agreement. If the Spurs were to hardball him, he could always sign the least team friendly offer sheet possible. Some team will accommodate him.

I do too, I think 4 years + PO will work for both sides' interests, and he'll eventually get to have his larger payday down the road too.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 02:05 PM
I do too, I think 4 years + PO will work for both sides' interests, and he'll eventually get to have his larger payday down the road too.

I agree. 4 plus a PO or 3 plus a PO will get it done.

BillMc
03-30-2015, 02:06 PM

I'm hoping Danny resigns and Manu comes back for 1 more year. Not sure what we do with Marco...

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm hoping Danny resigns and Manu comes back for 1 more year. Not sure what we do with Marco...

Bid him arrivederci.

BillMc
03-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Bid him arrivederci.

I'd welcome him back at the right price. Depends on who else we can get instead.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 02:26 PM
I'd welcome him back at the right price. Depends on who else we can get instead.

If we're imagining a scenario where Tim, Manu, and Danny all return, then using the MLE on an upgrade for the 4th wing would be one way to go.

Chinook
03-30-2015, 02:58 PM

I mean, the max QO is for the most he could possibly get. So I think he'd be hard pressed to call it a low-ball offer. You can't really offer incentives on a max deal, anyway. Though 2016 will be interesting, because it will be the first year in a long time that the max starts growing faster than 7.5 percent. So a Kawhi will actually be making less than max money for the whole deal, which means that incentives and trade kickers will actually matter.

In any event, if the Spurs and Kawhi decide the part ways, the Spurs can always retract the mQO and let Kawhi sign whatever deal he wants. But I'm not going to pretend that Kawhi would be wronged if the Spurs offer him a full max deal and he wants a shorter one.

Chinook
03-30-2015, 03:01 PM
If we're imagining a scenario where Tim, Manu, and Danny all return, then using the MLE on an upgrade for the 4th wing would be one way to go.

I don't see it as a great way to do it, seeing as Anderson and LJC will be in the fold (along with maybe a Deshaun Thomas). I think the team may want to consider a youngish big, seeing as Tim probably wouldn't play more than a year or two more.

I do think that if the Spurs repeat this season, then the band minus Williams and Ayres will be brought back. Even someone like Cory, who would be gone if off-season began today, would get reupped.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 03:10 PM
I mean, the max QO is for the most he could possibly get. So I think he'd be hard pressed to call it a low-ball offer. You can't really offer incentives on a max deal, anyway. Though 2016 will be interesting, because it will be the first year in a long time that the max starts growing faster than 7.5 percent. So a Kawhi will actually be making less than max money for the whole deal, which means that incentives and trade kickers will actually matter.

In any event, if the Spurs and Kawhi decide the part ways, the Spurs can always retract the mQO and let Kawhi sign whatever deal he wants. But I'm not going to pretend that Kawhi would be wronged if the Spurs offer him a full max deal and he wants a shorter one.

It's also a rare time because they already know a giant cap increase is coming in a couple of seasons for reasons outside of a negotiation of a new CBA. It wouldn't be a reach to say that if he signed for the max over 3+ years, he would be 'underpaid' by year 2.

I believe this is a shitty situation for the Spurs too, since even if they wanted to add extra bonuses after year 2 to 'make up' for that, I don't believe they can under the current CBA structure.

Mel_13
03-30-2015, 03:13 PM
I don't see it as a great way to do it, seeing as Anderson and LJC will be in the fold (along with maybe a Deshaun Thomas). I think the team may want to consider a youngish big, seeing as Tim probably wouldn't play more than a year or two more.

I do think that if the Spurs repeat this season, then the band minus Williams and Ayres will be brought back. Even someone like Cory, who would be gone if off-season began today, would get reupped.

I'll have to see LJC before I believe he can play the wing in the NBA. I imagine that they have Anderson slotted as a part of the future wing rotation, but I don't see Manu playing more than one more season. If the MLE can buy a reliable rotation wing, it would be a good investment IMO. Bigs typically cost more, so I think you would be looking at a project more than the plug and play addition that could be available at the wing positions.

SpursFan86
03-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Speaking of reliable rotation wing...I really wish we would've gotten Aminu. He has a player option after this season I believe - if he declines it, I wouldn't mind spending some of the MLE on him. He's an excellent defender and one of the best rebounding wings in the league. Kawhi/Aminu on the court at the same time would be crazy.

Obviously he's mediocre at best offensively, but I feel like we have plenty of shooting on this team.

Chinook
03-30-2015, 03:53 PM
It's also a rare time because they already know a giant cap increase is coming in a couple of seasons for reasons outside of a negotiation of a new CBA. It wouldn't be a reach to say that if he signed for the max over 3+ years, he would be 'underpaid' by year 2.

I believe this is a shitty situation for the Spurs too, since even if they wanted to add extra bonuses after year 2 to 'make up' for that, I don't believe they can under the current CBA structure.

I'm not sure. Normally, you can't offer bonuses and trade kickers don't matter, since you can't raise a person's salary above the league max outside of the natural five-percent free-agent increase or in the 4.5- and 7.5 percent contract increases. But the "league max" will grow beyond most individual maxes, which should allow those increases to come back. Meaning, that if Kawhi signs a five-year max with a max trade kicker, he should actually some of that money if he gets traded after his second year.

People are also forgetting that there is a new CBA coming in a couple of years. It's very possible that players will not want to risk losing out on guaranteed money by signing only two-year deals (the Parsons situation). If Kawhi doesn't take a one-year deal, I think he takes a five-year deal.

Chinook
03-30-2015, 03:55 PM
I'll have to see LJC before I believe he can play the wing in the NBA. I imagine that they have Anderson slotted as a part of the future wing rotation, but I don't see Manu playing more than one more season. If the MLE can buy a reliable rotation wing, it would be a good investment IMO. Bigs typically cost more, so I think you would be looking at a project more than the plug and play addition that could be available at the wing positions.

I don't think they'll be a great wing market. Anyone who's good enough to be a sound investment at the MLE is probably keen to wait until 2016 to ink a long term deal. That may not be the case the some of the young, flawed bigs out there (like O'Quinn and Seraphin). I honestly don't see any wing who's going to make sense for $5 Million a year.

Seventyniner
03-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Beli has been a bargain at his salary, though his game is more suited to 5th wing than 4th. He's like a better version of Bonner at his position.

I tend to agree with Mel that 3 years plus a player option on year 4 is the sweet spot for Kawhi to get a relatively large payday to insure against a short-term injury while still being able to get that huge contract sooner.

I remember reading about contract renegotiations in the previous CBA. Contracts could be renegotiated upwards but never down. Could the Spurs offer the full 5-year max and leave open the possibility of renegotating the last 4 years up to the new max in 2016?

Chinook
03-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Beli has been a bargain at his salary, though his game is more suited to 5th wing than 4th. He's like a better version of Bonner at his position.

I tend to agree with Mel that 3 years plus a player option on year 4 is the sweet spot for Kawhi to get a relatively large payday to insure against a short-term injury while still being able to get that huge contract sooner.

I remember reading about contract renegotiations in the previous CBA. Contracts could be renegotiated upwards but never down. Could the Spurs offer the full 5-year max and leave open the possibility of renegotating the last 4 years up to the new max in 2016?

Probably not. I doubt the Spurs intend to have cap space in 2018-2020. If Leonard is worth as much as he'd have to be to command a raise, then the team would probably be a fringe contender

Seventyniner
03-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Probably not. I doubt the Spurs intend to have cap space in 2018-2020. If Leonard is worth as much as he'd have to be to command a raise, then the team would probably be a fringe contender

What I was getting at was this: is it within the rules for the Spurs to tell Kawhi "take the 5-year deal and we'll renegotiate it up in 2016" to maximize their chance that Kawhi actually signs it? Whether that's worthwhile and whether it's possible are different things ofc.

ElNono
03-30-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure. Normally, you can't offer bonuses and trade kickers don't matter, since you can't raise a person's salary above the league max outside of the natural five-percent free-agent increase or in the 4.5- and 7.5 percent contract increases. But the "league max" will grow beyond most individual maxes, which should allow those increases to come back. Meaning, that if Kawhi signs a five-year max with a max trade kicker, he should actually some of that money if he gets traded after his second year.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Even if the Spurs wanted to entice Kawhi to sign a full 5 year max deal with some monetary incentives, they can't do that because they can't go over the current max contract value per the current cap figures, even if it's already known that the cap will be substantially higher in the next couple of years. From a player's perspective, a trade kicker doesn't solve the situation at all. He's not in control of the situation and he would still be playing under the same contract that pays him less than new max contract reality.

People are also forgetting that there is a new CBA coming in a couple of years. It's very possible that players will not want to risk losing out on guaranteed money by signing only two-year deals (the Parsons situation). If Kawhi doesn't take a one-year deal, I think he takes a five-year deal.

It's hard to fathom what will transpire when the next CBA negotiations are up, but it's difficult to fathom players taking any less considering the new TV deal, league popularity as a whole and the valuation of the franchises at this point in time.

tmtcsc
03-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Lol, everyone would like to have Leonard. I'll file this one in the Capt. Obvious file.

wildchild
03-31-2015, 04:45 PM

Thanks!! You're right, I misunderstood EN & itzsoweezee posts.

Mel_13
03-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks!! You're right, I misunderstood EN & itzsoweezee posts.

BillMc
03-31-2015, 05:25 PM
Mick and the boys singing the answer to Boston directly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKu-qRYeWrQ

Spurtacular
04-06-2016, 01:38 AM

Switching back and forth between FOB and serious insider....

50/50