PDA

View Full Version : Best First round matchup for the Spurs

sexinthatsx
03-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Which team are you guys hoping the Spurs will face in the first round? Of all the playoff teams, I'm hoping that the Spurs match up with Houston in the first round - Pat Beverly is out and aside from James Harden, they don't really have any go to scorers... Thoughts?

dabom
03-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Grizzo

cantthinkofanything
03-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Which team are you guys hoping the Spurs will face in the first round? Of all the playoff teams, I'm hoping that the Spurs match up with Houston in the first round - Pat Beverly is out and aside from James Harden, they don't really have any go to scorers... Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas or OKC. Even though it's a tough match up for Parker, I don't think either of those teams present much of a challenge.

Robz4000
03-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Portland or Memphis

houston spurs fan
03-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Grizzlies for sure. Clips and Rockets have good front courts and are a tough matchup for us. Plus, Rockets have Harden. I actually think we match up better against GSW than we do against the Rockets even with Beverly out.

TXstbobcat
03-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Portland

Seventyniner
03-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Dallas, Portland, Memphis, Houston, Clippers, Warriors in that order.

cantthinkofanything
03-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Dallas, Portland, Memphis, Houston, Clippers, Warriors in that order.

You skipped OKC.

Actually, I'd rather see someone like Boston or Miami.

timtonymanu
03-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Portland
Memphis
LAC
Houston
GS

In that order

look_at_g_shred
03-30-2015, 02:51 PM
Damn I've never seen a team more overrated from the media than the Grizzlies.

TDomination
03-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Memphis or Portland

MateoNeygro
03-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Memphis or Portland

Portland, Memphis, Dallas, LAC, OKC, Houston in that order.

Seventyniner
03-30-2015, 04:18 PM
You skipped OKC.

Actually, I'd rather see someone like Boston or Miami.

OC is nearly impossible to face, they'd have to get to 7th and have the Spurs get to 2nd. I guess a matchup with the Mavs is only slightly more likely. I'd put the Thunder at the top of the list then because they just don't have enough talent to win a series.

In the top-16 format, I agree that Boston or Miami (or Indiana/Charlotte/Milwaukee, whoever sneaks in the 8th spot in the East) would be the best choice.

benstanfield
03-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Anyone but Houston, Clippers, or Golden State shouldn't take more than 5 games to beat.

tmtcsc
03-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Anyone. The Spurs are everyone's nightmare matchup. SMH at how soon people forget we are the defending champs.

LakerHater
03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Memphis

tholdren
03-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Memphis and hope the sa sweep would bring marc over

Spurs da champs
03-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Memphis or Portland

This, I know Memphis is healthy in comparison but I still prefer them, they're slumping and even so Spurs just dominate them.

therealtruth
03-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Save the Warriors for the conference finals. That will be the real NBA Finals.

Chomag
03-30-2015, 07:50 PM
The guests team would be fun to toy with in the playoffs again.

The Whopper
03-30-2015, 08:02 PM
The only western conference team we've never defeated in a playoff series is Houston--largely due to the fact they never advance far enough to face us.

Those knob goblins can't duck us forever.

z0sa
03-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm amending my opinion from Portland-Grizzlies-Clippers to Portland-Grizzlies-Houston (in those orders).

100%duncan
03-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Portland

Seventyniner
03-30-2015, 08:28 PM
The only western conference team we've never defeated in a playoff series is Houston--largely due to the fact they never advance far enough to face us.

Those knob goblins can't duck us forever.

Or make the playoffs at all.

I was hoping for a Suns/Rockets/Thunder/Heat path to the title last year and got half of my wish. It would have been the ultimate revenge tour; the Spurs had lost to each of those teams the last time they met in the playoffs (Suns 2010, Rockets 1995, Thunder 2012, Heat 2013).

If the Spurs had beaten all of those teams, they would have won the most recent playoff series against every team in the West. Same for the East if you count Finals-only matchups, that would exclude series from the '70s (when the Spurs were in the East) like those against the Sixers and Bullets/Wizards.

T Park
03-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Play who you play just like last year. When they play like they are capable of playing, they're still the best team in the NBA.

itzsoweezee
03-30-2015, 09:09 PM
I don't think it'll really matter. The Spurs will win round 1 no matter which of the possibilities they match up against.

And rounds 2 and 3 will likely be the same no matter who they play in round 1:

1. Rockets in round 2 and Warriors in round 3 or
2. Warriors in round 2 and Rockets in round 3.

The Whopper
03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
Or make the playoffs at all.

I was hoping for a Suns/Rockets/Thunder/Heat path to the title last year and got half of my wish. It would have been the ultimate revenge tour; the Spurs had lost to each of those teams the last time they met in the playoffs (Suns 2010, Rockets 1995, Thunder 2012, Heat 2013).

If the Spurs had beaten all of those teams, they would have won the most recent playoff series against every team in the West. Same for the East if you count Finals-only matchups, that would exclude series from the '70s (when the Spurs were in the East) like those against the Sixers and Bullets/Wizards.

Your knowledge of our lore is strong. Playoff revenge against the Bullets is my white whale.

sexinthatsx
03-30-2015, 09:37 PM
wow seems like a lot of you guys are scared of Houston... are you guys having flashbacks of 2012 or something? lol. For some reason I feel like if Kawhi or Green can shut Harden down it should be an easy series

Malik Hairston
03-30-2015, 09:39 PM
I don't think it'll really matter. The Spurs will win round 1 no matter which of the possibilities they match up against.

And rounds 2 and 3 will likely be the same no matter who they play in round 1:

1. Rockets in round 2 and Warriors in round 3 or
2. Warriors in round 2 and Rockets in round 3.

I disagree, tbh..

A series vs. Houston or the Clippers would be grueling, and furthermore, while I believe the Warriors are heavy favorites and will win their 1st round matchup regardless, I'd much rather see them in a bracket that features the Rockets/Clippers, rather than the Grizzlies/Blazers/Mavs..

Portland is the easy answer, btw..no decent perimeter defenders, inconsistent shooting, no bench, jump shooting team, etc..

Malik Hairston
03-30-2015, 09:40 PM
wow seems like a lot of you guys are scared of Houston... are you guys having flashbacks of 2012 or something? lol. For some reason I feel like if Kawhi or Green can shut Harden down it should be an easy series

A series with Harden's officiating is frightening, tbh..

We will all want to kill ourselves after game 1..

Mr. Body
03-30-2015, 10:05 PM
The Grizzlies really struggle to beat the Spurs. I'd least like Houston. I think in a seven game series they'd figure out Harden, but that's a tricky team.

Russo21
03-30-2015, 10:47 PM
Doesn't really matter. You wanna be the best you gotta beat whoever is in your way. And we definitely can beat whoever gets in the way. In the mix for six!

BatManu20
03-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Portland
Memphis
LAC
Houston
GS

In that order

sexinthatsx
03-31-2015, 12:11 AM
A series with Harden's officiating is frightening, tbh..

We will all want to kill ourselves after game 1..

Yeah somehow he manages to get some BS ticky tack fouls with his slow drives to the basket...

Vash StampedE
03-31-2015, 01:49 AM
Memphis and hope the sa sweep would bring marc over
My thoughts exactly.

romain.star
03-31-2015, 01:52 AM
Portland: no bench, no chance

will_spurs
03-31-2015, 02:08 AM
Portland or Memphis, clearly.

I'd want to avoid Houston at all costs because we all know (given previous experience with OKC) how badly the refs can screw us up when we play one of their primadonnas. And Harden is THE primadonna.

BillMc
03-31-2015, 02:20 AM
Portland or Memphis, clearly.

I'd want to avoid Houston at all costs because we all know (given previous experience with OKC) how badly the refs can screw us up when we play one of their primadonnas. And Harden is THE primadonna.

I'd probably rather have Houston slightly over Clippers. Can't see McHale out doing Pop over 7 games.

Vash StampedE
03-31-2015, 02:27 AM
With the Spurs playing extremely well to finish the season, I really can't blame you guys for feeling confident that the Spurs will reach the Finals again. Personally, I just hope that, by the end of the regular season, the Spurs will be in the bracket that will only make them face GSW in the WCF. It will surely be to our advantage if other WC playoff teams take out GSW for us. I just think GSW is the biggest threat to the Spurs getting that elusive back-to-back championship. We faced them like 2 years ago and they played very well in the first two or three games. Yes, Spurs beat them in that series but Curry and Thompson have become way better players since then. And also despite this season being Kerr's first, I think he and Alvin Gentry are very good coaches. That's why they're the best team right now, record-wise.

But a SAS vs GSW in the conference finals? That would be a classic, nerve-wracking series, imo.

#2!
03-31-2015, 02:56 AM
With the Spurs playing extremely well to finish the season, I really can't blame you guys for feeling confident that the Spurs will reach the Finals again. Personally, I just hope that, by the end of the regular season, the Spurs will be in the bracket that will only make them face GSW in the WCF. It will surely be to our advantage if other WC playoff teams take out GSW for us. I just think GSW is the biggest threat to the Spurs getting that elusive back-to-back championship. We faced them like 2 years ago and they played very well in the first two or three games. Yes, Spurs beat them in that series but Curry and Thompson have become way better players since then. And also despite this season being Kerr's first, I think he and Alvin Gentry are very good coaches. That's why they're the best team right now, record-wise.

But a SAS vs GSW in the conference finals? That would be a classic, nerve-wracking series, imo.

iirc Gentry was coaching that Suns team that finally beat the Spurs in 2010.

03-31-2015, 08:30 AM
Play who you play just like last year. When they play like they are capable of playing, they're still the best team in the NBA.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Memphis plays rough, which can wear down an old team in the first round.

Cry Havoc
03-31-2015, 08:56 AM

I don't see any other team in the West taking golden state more than 6 games. Maybe not more than 5. They're damned good. And they basically get a free first round sweep while Westchuck goes into full meltdown mode.

They're lucky they don't have the mavs at the 8 seed. Carlisle is always an incredibly tough out regardless of his team.

TheCerebral1
03-31-2015, 09:19 AM
It would probably be Memphis, but none of the teams really scare me. If the Spurs are healthy and ready to go they are a more dynamic and better fundamental team than Golden State. Not to take anything away what Steve Kerr has done, as he has been marvelous, but let's see him come into San Antonio in a 7 game series and win 2-3 times.

urunobili
03-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't mind Dallas again tbh... even if they take us to 7 again...

will_spurs
03-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Not to take anything away what Steve Kerr has done, as he has been marvelous, but let's see him come into San Antonio in a 7 game series and win 2-3 times.

The beauty of HCA is that you don't need to win on the road...

TD 21
03-31-2015, 04:54 PM
Trail Blazers, Grizzlies, Rockets, Clippers.

I'd probably swap the last two if I could get a read on the Rockets overall health. Supposedly everyone but Beverley (maybe Papanikolaou too, but he's a non rotation player) will be back before the playoffs, but in what state? Particularly Howard.

As for the Clippers, this is the third straight year that they're probably the fourth best team in the league. It's difficult to envision them going down in the first round, considering what they have fueling them (from the game 5 debacle against the Thunder last season, to Paul being at the tail end of his prime and probably the best player to never make a CF, to only having won two playoff series in this era).

RD2191
03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
Who cares? tbh. Doesn't matter who they play. If they don't get out of the 1st round they weren't going to win it all anyways.

letmk
03-31-2015, 05:09 PM
I don't see any other team in the West taking golden state more than 6 games. Maybe not more than 5. They're damned good. And they basically get a free first round sweep while Westchuck goes into full meltdown mode.

They're lucky they don't have the mavs at the 8 seed. Carlisle is always an incredibly tough out regardless of his team.

Other than the Spurs, I actually think a healthy Clippers team will give them a tough fight. If griffin and CP3 are in the zone, Dubs don't have much to contain them. And Jordan has improved a lot, free throws not counted. And although one will have heart attack with Crawford in your own team, he is kind of unstoppable if he is ON. And Rivers has been through a lot, unlike a rookie coach in Kerr. All in all, the Warriors are the favorite , but I'm not surprised if the clippers take them down.

TampaDude
04-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Portland, of course. We own them. Probable sweep, 5 games max.